Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Liffey Valley Retail Park

• 07-04-2009 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I see that plans have been lodged for a new retail park at Liffey Valley.
    Those plans include an extra extension to the existing centre of 62,000 square metres, incorporating a large civic square, a civic centre, a library and a Fas office.

There will also be an extra 52,000 square metres of retail space, including a large food store and 60 retail units.

Two new car parks, with a combined capacity of 2,100, are also planned.

Liffey Valley Shopping Centre opened in 1998 and currently attracts 10 million visitors a year to west Dublin.

The developers are expected to make a further application to build approximately 500 duplex homes and other apartments, as well as some own-door offices, at a later date...

Can Liffey Valley and the surrounding infrastructure take this?
    Only an extra 2,100 car parking spaces? Will the public transport network be upgraded to help ease the need to drive there?

Anyone who has been to Liffey Valley around Christmas time knows that you see people abandoning their cars on the grass verges at the side of the road because they've spent an hour trying to find a space already!

How will the N4 and M50 cope with this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

More importantly, after the budget will anyone have any money to go shopping there? Seems like a ridiculous idea to me to be opening more retails outlets at the present time, people just aren't spending right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Zaph wrote: »
    More importantly, after the budget will anyone have any money to go shopping there? Seems like a ridiculous idea to me to be opening more retails outlets at the present time, people just aren't spending right now.

In all honesty it wont be completed until 2013, and there is a chance the economy might be in recovery mode by then,

it will create jobs now too, so it is badly needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yeah it will create jobs and that would be good but what about the local infrastructure, particularly roads and public transport to the place? If this opens in 2013 and there are thousands of extra cars each week going to the place then the already crowded roads are only going to get worse.

Do we really want queues from Liffey Valley backing up onto the N4 slip-road?
    They should think about creating a new junction on the M50 to accommodate traffic coming off there.

Also with only 2100 extra parking spaces I can see that public transport will have to be improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

won't the proposed Luas route run along there? Don't know if it's sustainable as isn't their a similar development going in up in adamstown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

won't the proposed Luas route run along there?

It's supposed to all right. Will Luas work grind to a halt if things get much worse in Ireland though? Hopefully not.
    Don't know if it's sustainable as isn't their a similar development going in up in adamstown?
    Is there? I didn't know about that now. Tell me more! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

This might be exactly the right time to begin a development like this (transport issues notwithstanding) if they catch the recovery at the right time they'll be in the clover. From the employment perspective it would be great for the locality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

won't the proposed Luas route run along there? Don't know if it's sustainable as isn't their a similar development going in up in adamstown?

The luas is supposed to run right through liffey valley. Its original date was 2013 but given the way things are now it'll be nearer 2020 and that's if it even does go ahead!!

I live just off lomans road,most sundays the traffic is backed up half way down lomans road from the liffey valley roundabout,mainly traffic heading to the shopping centre. I can only imagine the carnage if this goes ahead,traffic will be chaos. Couple that with the fact that the luas is supposed to run down lomans road and if it does go ahead it would be dug up to bits!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

when the N4 and m50 upgrades are complete there'll be a huge improvement in the traffic situation around liffey valley.also if the luas and metro west ever get built then it should be fine.blanch and dundrum are bigger than liffey valley and the roads around them arent any better than liffey valleys.

Advertisement