Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removal of Good Friday Day Off.

Options
  • 07-04-2009 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to know where I stand on this employment issue. I have been with a company for 3 years, and every year we have had Good Friday off. An e-mail was circulated from the MD today, that this is no longer the case, and everyone must work on GF. Is this legal? What can I do? The MD is an Arrogant ****, and mentions job losses at every opportunity when he does this type of thing. People feel threatened by him, and feel that he's abusing his position, and these recession times to bully us. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Its an old cliche but whats in your contract?

I know in an old job the contract metion GF as a holiday day, I had 21 days hols, 4 weeks X 5 day and GF.

If we worked GF we got a day in lieu.

as for your position it will be determined how GF is described in your contract. Also its not a public holiday or bank holiday is a day of holy obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's perfectly legal. Good Friday is not a public holiday and you have no entitlement to Good Friday off. The vast majority of people who are off on Good Friday have to take that day out of their annual leave allowance.

If you previously got the day off as goodwill, then that goodwill is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Judging by the tone of the posts, I'm assuming that this is more than opinion? You know this as fact? I know GF is not a Public Holiday, but the company has been getting it off for the last 20 years, I'm there 3 years and now they just say, 'not no more'. Surely it must be assumed that it is a benefit in the company no?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Companies are required to notify you in good time of when you're taking mandatory annual leave and likewise are required to notify you in good time if they decide to change this.

But otherwise they can change it all they like, that it's been in place for twenty years is irrelevant. If it's not in your contract you can't assume that it's a defined benefit.

There are some other factors here though, for example many companies give an extra day of annual leave to their employees specifically to cover Good Friday. If this is the case and they are actually abolishing this extra day's leave then that's a change in your contract which they may not be able to impose without your agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭c1979

I've never had good friday off so stop moaning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

c1979 wrote: »
    I've never had good friday off so stop moaning

What a useless reply.

Advertisement