Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon Now Deliver Everything to Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Every electronic item i've checked (all sold by Amazon.co.uk themselves) has the same message in the product details:
    # Delivery Restrictions: This item can only be delivered within the UK
    Find out more about our Delivery Rates and Returns Policy

Is this just a leftover piece of text from the old system, or is something else going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Ooooh dear... my wallet is about to lose some serious weight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭banchang

byte wrote: »
    Ah, cheaper too. Just be prepared to wait up to 2 months for delivery!

Any Amazon promotional codes ?

SQUEEZE1 doesn't work anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

It would be much better if the Minister did his patriotic duty and lowered VAT as has happened in many of our EU neighbours, might actually bring in more tax that way.

elmicko wrote: »
    This is nothing but a good thing, and at 5.5% a premium that I am willing to pay for the convenience, no, I mean to do my patriotic duty and support the exchequer in these tough times....

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

I saw this discussed on TV over the last few days. A VAT cut wouldn't make a whole lot of difference to consumer confidence here.

Take an item costing 100euro now. That's 82.30 ex vat. Even with UK vat rate it's going to cost 94.65euro. It's not enough to restore confidence in people to get buying again.

The minister himself said it was a big mistake to tamper with the vat rate yet he failed to rectify that mistake. Cutting the vat rate would make it easier to compete with retailers in Northern Ireland, this is why he did not raise tax on alcohol and petrol as he knows full well people will go north to get this stuff. Are you seriously suggesting that raising vat helped consumer confidence? Its not just about confidence the more important issue is keeping VAT revenue in the state, lowering the vat rate would increase revenue in the longer term and cost little or nothing in the short term IMO. Is everyone else in Europe wrong and our minister is right? I think not

Edit: sorry for going OT guys but i feel really strongly about this issue.

leex wrote: »
    I saw this discussed on TV over the last few days. A VAT cut wouldn't make a whole lot of difference to consumer confidence here.

Take an item costing 100euro now. That's 82.30 ex vat. Even with UK vat rate it's going to cost 94.65euro. It's not enough to restore confidence in people to get buying again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

Tony - I'm not at all disagreeing with you and raising VAT p!ssed off all consumers. BY all means they can/should reduce the VAT but this is only a drop in the ocean. I did hear the minister say raising the VAT was a big mistake but I don't think this was the reason for people flocking north. The weakening of sterling was the biggest factor in this. An item costing 100UKP a year or so ago was equating to 150euro for us. It has been less than 110euro for large periods in the last 6 months due to currency changes.

What percentage of Irish retailers will pass on a drop in VAT to the customer? It will be like the introduction of the euro again when changes were absorbed. We'd want to be seeing a drop in VAt to 10% or the likes to get things moving now given the hole we're in.

leex wrote: »
    What percentage of Irish retailers will pass on a drop in VAT to the customer?

I can only speak for myself and I would drop the price immediately to try and get more volume of sales as profit margin would be exactly the same per item. It would at the very least remove one of the excuses that some retailers give for increased prices here. May only be a drop in the ocean but so is reducing TD expenses, the point being its the right thing to do and would send out a positive signal, the alternative of doing nothing helps no one and is contributing to more businesses going bust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭banchang

Ok - another forum for the politcal discussions - puhleeese !

Now, anyone got any Amazon codes ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

Bought a Nintendo DSI Monday night off Amazon Shipped Tuesday Morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Do Amazon UK accept Laser?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Do Amazon UK accept Laser?
    Nope, fraid not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

For completeness - these are the things that Amazon won't deliver to Ireland.

Tvs
    Light Bulbs
    Mobile Phones
    Magazine Subscriptions
    Childrens Clothes
    Blank DVds/Cds
    Child car seats
    Safety Equipment
    Toys/Games (Video Games are Ok though)
    Medicines
    Anything over 30kg

Full details on Amazon Help page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Ogham wrote: »

Tvs
    Light Bulbs
    Mobile Phones
    Magazine Subscriptions
    Childrens Clothes
    Blank DVds/Cds
    Child car seats
    Safety Equipment
    Medicines
    Anything over 30kg

That's a weird list indeed :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭goldfishlover

fantastic news

thanks

• Advertisement

basquille wrote: »
    Nope, fraid not!

Bollox.

The only people that do are cdwow.ie and they're terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

A side issue for those with laser cards: Halifax do a visa debit card which works exactly like a laser card (ie no-annual 30 euro fee, cant really go into credit) except also usable online.

http://www.halifax.ie/index.jsp?p=101&n=128&a=0

turgon wrote: »
    A side issue for those with laser cards: Halifax do a visa debit card which works exactly like a laser card (ie no-annual 30 euro fee, cant really go into credit) except also usable online.

Awesome. I'm going to check this out tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Tvs
    Light Bulbs
    Mobile Phones
    Magazine Subscriptions
    Childrens Clothes
    Blank DVds/Cds
    Child car seats
    Safety Equipment
    Medicines
    Anything over 30kg

+ projectors
    + projector screens
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

I hope Play follow Amazon's lead and start shipping electronics again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

turgon wrote: »

Been with Halifax for some time, their cards have their own problems. You can't see your transactions online with the Visa *credit* card, which makes it a pain in the hole.

Regarding the Visa *debit* card, yes it's great for online purchases, but so far I've found only M&S will give you cashback with it.

+ projectors
    + projector screens
    :(

I think you could be wrong there - I had no problem adding a projector screen to a basket for checkout to an Irish address. If the projecter and screen are sold by Amazon themselves it can be delivered here. If you were refused - it was probably being sold by another seller (on Amazon). The simplest way to be sure - is when searching for stuff always select Seller = Amazon in the left side list of options. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Bros123 wrote: »

how much was the total including shipping was looking at a western digital hd tv media player which is £80 i know its around €99 on komplette and around 10 euro delivery so was just wondering if there was a way to find out the delivery charge for this item

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I want a list of bargain buys (inclusive of delivery & vat increase) from those who have bought from here. Don't care what it is as long as its a bargain:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Bollox.

The only people that do are cdwow.ie and they're terrible.

Bang CD take Laser if you pay in Euro. :)

Reply for Lindtee- This Toshiba xde500 DVD player is listed at £64.99 . Works out at £77.14 delivered here (about 86 euros) . It's got some good reviews. I've not ordered one (yet) - but it plays your old DVDs and makes them look almost as good as blu-ray. Saves you going out and updating all your DVD collection. :). I've seen it for around £120 on other sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

glic83 wrote: »
    how much was the total including shipping was looking at a western digital hd tv media player which is £80 i know its around €99 on komplette and around 10 euro delivery so was just wondering if there was a way to find out the delivery charge for this item

You have to go to checkout to get the total including delivery and Irish vat rate. The page before you confirm your order will give the total in euro.

For the wd media player
    Amazon.co.uk Order Summary Items: GBP 69.56 Postage & Packing: GBP 3.98 pixel-grey._V45463702_.gif Total before VAT: GBP 73.54 VAT: GBP 15.81 transparent-pixel._V42753713_.gif Order Total: GBP 89.35 Payment Total: EUR 103,47**

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I see now, at Checkout, there's an option to either pay in Euro, using their conversion rate, or continue to pay in Sterling. The option is handy, though I think I'll stick with paying in Sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

byte wrote: »
    I see now, at Checkout, there's an option to either pay in Euro, using their conversion rate, or continue to pay in Sterling. The option is handy, though I think I'll stick with paying in Sterling.

Yes do so. Even in post 78 just before yours, amazon were making just over €3 on the exchange rate. And thats taking it from Visas rate and not Xe.com etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

just ordered a logitech harmony 885 remote, works out at about €83 delivered. its €119.50 + del on Komplett and €121 +del on pixmania.

Good value on the whole range of Harmony remotes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sorry folks, I'm not about to read through the whole thread for this...

But I was just browsing through some of the 32'' LCD TV's (under 30kg), and pretty much all of them said they only ship in the UK.... what's the story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Sorry folks, I'm not about to read through the whole thread for this...

But I was just browsing through some of the 32'' LCD TV's (under 30kg), and pretty much all of them said they only ship in the UK.... what's the story?

If you read the post made at 12.48 today it should answer your question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭sue97

Just ordered a music keyboard from Amazon.co.uk. It cost much less then Argos or Smyths and I got the next model up.

Happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

slemons wrote: »

I got an item delivered free to a depot in Fermanagh and then forwarded to me for €20. Check out www.recessionbustours.com under heading Electrical/kitchen/homeware Goods:

Really prompt service, Amazon delivered to them on Saturday and they to me on Sunday..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

wow referral ids left right and center!

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

I haven't see this on Bargains yet - but it has got to mean more bargains for everyone. Amazon UK have dropped nearly all restrictions on delivery to Ireland.

See http://www.buy-online-ireland.com/2009/amazon-drop-delivery-restrictions-to-ireland/

Looks like you can get everything now except stuff over 30kg and mobile phones and toys.
    If only we had the money.
    Why didn't they do it before Christmas and we could all have saved loads.
    Might put a stop to some of those trips over the border?:D

says

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Richards-Audio-Recording-System/dp/B001THP3X2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1239794194&sr=8-4

is still only delivered to UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

RLJ wrote: »

thats because its Dispatched from and sold by *unova*.

loyatemu wrote: »
    thats because its Dispatched from and sold by *unova*.
    If you go through the checkout process it IS delivered to the UK, they must not have changed their pages yet. I've been checking random things today and most will deliver, but pretty much everything says that it can only be delivered within the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

If you go through the checkout process it IS delivered to the UK, they must not have changed their pages yet. I've been checking random things today and most will deliver, but pretty much everything says that it can only be delivered within the UK.
    you mean is delivered outside UK? I'm in ireland

RLJ wrote: »
    you mean is delivered outside UK? I'm in ireland
    ........... no.

*shifty eyes*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭pajoemccracken

Bros123 wrote: »
    How does this compare to Irish prices? need one for the son for his communion. Did you buy DSi or bundle?
    Do all Ds lite games play on DSi?
    Thanks in advance
    Pajoe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I tried to buy a couple of ink cartridges today from 2 different sellers on Amazon but got the trap door when Ireland was included in the address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Do all Ds lite games play on DSi?
    The DSi will play the majority of DS games. It won't play games that require the GBA (lower, bigger) slot though, such as Guitar Hero, but these games are rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

muffler wrote: »
    I tried to buy a couple of ink cartridges today from 2 different sellers on Amazon but got the trap door when Ireland was included in the address.

Well, yes, we know this. Again, it's only stuff sold directly by Amazon that can be shipped (in most cases).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

nephster wrote: »
    Well, yes, we know this. Again, it's only stuff sold directly by Amazon that can be shipped (in most cases).
    Ah right. I thought it was right across the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Pretty pointless the way its limited to just amazon itself. Tried to buy two things this morning and both were blocked to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

BostonB wrote: »
    Pretty pointless the way its limited to just amazon itself. Tried to buy two things this morning and both were blocked to Ireland.

because amazon can afford to have postage cheap. Other sellers cant. I thought an post were a rip off for sending parcels, royal mail are even dearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

tried to buy blank DVD discs last night,would not post to ROI so i bought them @mymemory.co.uk they do deliver here thou the postage was more than the item
    i got 100 discs for under 30 euro

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

because amazon can afford to have postage cheap. Other sellers cant. I thought an post were a rip off for sending parcels, royal mail are even dearer.

That's not true
    To send a 2kg parcel to Ireland £11.29 or £12.17
    To send a 2kg parcel to Britain €25.00

• Advertisement
Advertisement