Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP reinstall + iastor.sys

• 07-04-2009 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Trying to re-install windows xp, it gets to setup and then says "iastor.sys cannot be found". Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=iastor.sys+cannot+be+found&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

Looks like your have a scsi storage controller?

Your conna need to get a hold of the driver and install it during the xp install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Are you reformatting the drive, or doing a repair install (i.e. OVER the existing installation).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭magicwand

Are you reformatting the drive, or doing a repair install (i.e. OVER the existing installation).

Repair install...have you come across this problem?

magicwand wrote: »
    Repair install...have you come across this problem?

sorry, you have a SCSI hard disk? meant to ask that with the last question.

sorry, you have a SCSI hard disk? meant to ask that with the last question.

Ya SCSI...

• Advertisement

First of all, I have tried repair installs about 20 times and it has NEVER worked.

Secondly, the reason I asked about the repair install was that if you had formatted the drive and rebooted and tried to install XP, it would probably not see the hard disk when running setup as it requires the SCSI driver from the manufacturers website. In this case setup would just end, and not give you the error you mentioned.

Why are you reinstalling, are you sure that there are not issues with the hard disk? is it possible that the part of the disk with this file is damaged?

You will need the driver for the disk anyway if you need to do a clean install so I would make my to the manufacturer's website and work on getting this. If you have another PC of course. You may just need to have this disk in the drive when doing the repair install.

First of all, I have tried repair installs about 20 times and it has NEVER worked.

Secondly, the reason I asked about the repair install was that if you had formatted the drive and rebooted and tried to install XP, it would probably not see the hard disk when running setup as it requires the SCSI driver from the manufacturers website. In this case setup would just end, and not give you the error you mentioned.

Why are you reinstalling, are you sure that there are not issues with the hard disk? is it possible that the part of the disk with this file is damaged?

Mainly doing reinstall for performance issues...have it 5 years now so thought it may help...hard disk functioning fine

magicwand wrote: »
    Mainly doing reinstall for performance issues...have it 5 years now so thought it may help...hard disk functioning fine

why not just do a clean install (i.e. format then install)? I wouldnt see the point in doing a repair install to repair performance issues, I would either do the clean install or just tackle the performance issues in the existing installation.

why not just do a clean install (i.e. format then install)? I wouldnt see the point in doing a repair install to repair performance issues, I would either do the clean install or just tackle the performance issues in the existing installation.

How do i go about doing the clean install?
    Will it still not look for iastor.sys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

iaStor.sys is Intel's disk controller driver, usually used with AHCI SATA controllers. If you have a floppy drive, you can create the "F6" floppies that you need to insert during the installation of Windows XP. You can download these from intel's site. If you haven't got a floppy drive, you can build a new Windows XP CD with these drivers slipstreamed in, using a program called nLite. There's a bit more to it than what I've put here, but Google has tons of information on how to do this.

Another, easier workaround (if you have SATA disks rather than SCSI) is to configure your PC's BIOS to run the disk controller in ATA or legacy mode. Then it just appears to be a bog standard IDE disk controller to windows and is supported out of the box. The down side is you lose a little bit of performance but most people would never notice anyway.

Stephen wrote: »
    Another, easier workaround (if you have SATA disks rather than SCSI) is to configure your PC's BIOS to run the disk controller in ATA or legacy mode. Then it just appears to be a bog standard IDE disk controller to windows and is supported out of the box. The down side is you lose a little bit of performance but most people would never notice anyway.

He mentioned above that the disk is SCSI, but it is a valid point.

I think the first thing to do is a) get a copy of the driver file that you need and b) deciding on how to get it on the PC. Do you have a floppy disk drive or CDROM drive?

Advertisement