Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetic looking for a mortgage

Options
  • 07-04-2009 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Would any of you wonderful diabetics be able to shed light on the problems/delays that I might face when looking for a mortgage and all the related insurances being a Type 1 diabetic. We are applying at the moment for mortgage approval and I want as few delays as possible.

My doctor hasn't requested a HbA1c in a while so I am going to ask my GP to run one next week when I'm in so that I have a figure on file and other than that my health has been great, non-smoker and not obese. Has anyone been through this before?

Thanks

Niamh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Hi Niamh,
    I'm a diabetic also but not the breadwinner in the family. The only difficultly we encountered was with the life insurance which is compulsary. We first applied for our mortgage in 2005 and I was quoted twice the price for my life insurance. On this occasion we opted to not purchase life insurance for me, not put my name on the mortgage but have my name on the deeds. The EBS has no problems with this back then.

We recently refinanced the mortgage though and switch to AIB, who had all sorts of forms to be filled and I had to see my GP. The quote was again twice the price but as we were financially in a position to afford this extra we did it.

Hope this helps!

Advertisement