Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the internet so crap in the library?

• 07-04-2009 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

seriously like? why does the internet come and go so often?
    surely it should be possible to have a wireless network that actually works and doesnt cut you off every ten seconds?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I have made a few complaints about this recently. The only thing that will fix this is to complain, first to the library, and then to the computer centre. At first they'll try to fob you off and ask you to move around the library until you get reception. Don't stand for that, because it's nonsense. Make a formal complaint, and encourage everyone you know to do likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭rebel105

I emailed as you suggested, and apparently there is a problem that they are aware of and trying to solve. From what I could understand, it is being caused by computers with XP that attack the network or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭SQDD

I know i'm gonna get blown out of it for saying this but...

Seriously why do you bring your laptops into the library?!

The library is for reading and studying, not for farcing about on youtube, facebook et al! I know that there are a few students doing academic research and the like, but now it seems everyone has a laptop in the library and a large majority are not using it for academic purposes at all.

The reason for the wireless dropping is a number of factors--

1. The amount of laptops connecting to the wireless network, each router will generally support a max of the region of 300 laptops (at a guess)

2. Many people click on the wrong network to connect to when they are using their laptop in an attempt to fix their wireless, they will generally connect to an ad hoc network - ie not the internet and then their laptop will extend the reach of the useless ad hoc network

3. The option to automatically connect to the strongest wireless network is set up on your laptop - hence when the proper UCC connection is at half strength and a wild ad hoc connection (see point 2) (or other, eg HP Wirelss etc) is at full strength, your laptop will jump ship to the stronger connection and as a result you will no longer be connected to the internet, just a wireless network with no internet connectivity

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭rebel105

SQDD, I agree with you.
    The only reason I have my laptop with me is because I have an essay to write, and once that's done, there's no way im dragging it into college everyday for the rest of study month.

But, from what I understood from the computer centre guy who contacted me after I complained, its nothing to do with the amount of computers but instead to do with some problem between the routers and computers running on vista, which they are working on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭deisedude

While we are on the subject of crap things in the library. May i ask

1. Why the hell does it take half the computers an eternity to turn on?
    and
    2. Whats the story with the printers? Surely it cant be that hard to fix them. For a while on all the floors only 1 printer on the ground floor worked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

deisedude wrote: »

and
    2. Whats the story with the printers? Surely it cant be that hard to fix them. For a while on all the floors only 1 printer on the ground floor worked

Very annoying alright. These problems require a lot of money to fix, though...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

and

in answer to qestion 1, the reason why it takes ages to log on is because the computers are on all day, and they slow down for whatever reason, i'm not 100 per cebt sure - most of the computers should take about 20/30 seconds to log on, what i do is wait about that time, and if it takes longer than that to log on, i restart the computer by pressing in the power button for 10 seconds, works for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

That bugs the crap outta me. :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

between the slow computers and the internet going all the time! it is so frustrating!!!

I was inside, trying to research an essay in the library and the internet kept going, I nearly flipped at one stage TBH cos I was kinda under pressure for time, I find that the internet problem is only in the reading room though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭fredmc

in answer to qestion 1, the reason why it takes ages to log on is because the computers are on all day, and they slow down for whatever reason, i'm not 100 per cebt sure - most of the computers should take about 20/30 seconds to log on, what i do is wait about that time, and if it takes longer than that to log on, i restart the computer by pressing in the power button for 10 seconds, works for me

For real? That'll save so much time, thanks. I don't think the slowness has anything to do with the computers being on all day though, they were never slow before this year.

Anyone else have a problem logging on to the printers on the ground floor? I can log on to all the others but not the ground floor ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Burklert

Why are the printers broken?

Simple, students. Dont get me wrong here printers are simple to refill and unjam but its amazing how many students dont do it correctly(not that they should be doing it) and the printers get damaged.

Not to mention the printers simply cant take the work load. They are rated for x sheets but are in cases doing about 4 times that.

x being a very large number of sheets printed.

You know the printers in the boole basement front lab, the one with the three printers. The one in the centre that is always broken? Its never been the same since a student tried to unjam it and broke off half a side panal.

I dont like broken printing either but those parts dont come cheap and take ages to be ordered.

Regarding the op's question.

The wireless in the library is a mess no doubt. Part of the problem is that there are hundreds of laptops connecting to the wireless in the building, this in itself causes congestion at the ap's causing it to drop every so often.

The next level of this problem is the fact that wireless is essentially a networking tool. Designed to network to other devices. Many of the laptops are trying to connect to each other producing a whole lot of connection spam that chokes up the wireless spectrum. I ran a wireless scan in the library before on Q+2. I picked up over 200 wireless devices within range with at least 20 of them being computer to computer networks. In xp you can turn off this feature but not in vista...

Lastly it appears that a security setting that keeps your data private is causing even more problems. This is mostly due to the different versions that are available and floating around in the library.

Then again wireless elsewhere on campus is nice and friendly

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

Advertisement