Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget April 2009 as it happens.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭TunnelWeb

Is it over now??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Was there anything about capital investment in infrastructure? I thought they might borrow to build roads and schools etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Prophet

Bottling is right. A bad JOKE.

* The bloated public wage bill wasn't seriously tackled.
    * No real substantial wage reduction for TDs.

* A stealth bailout given for property developers/investors.

This government is set to fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Archimedes wrote: »
    Third level education is a privilege, not a right.

Oh yes because that's the thing we need now us young people having to pay to get a good job and career.
    I would have to get start off life with a debt of over 6 grand in a recession with no job's to pay it back.

For them to bring in fee's would be them killing themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

"A Stamp Duty trading scheme will be introduced."

What does this mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MetalDawg

Yeah but businesses can reclaim the VAT on these. It makes sense. Petrol was hit in the last budget and prices have been going up lately so it's diesel's turn :p

Oh I see. Thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

hblock21 you forgot the health levy increase
    probably another 10 euro off for you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Elbi wrote: »
    But is needed

It's not 'needed'. It's beneficial, but not a necessity.

Fees with means testing is the way forward imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭carrieb

Gah! Whats wrong with you?
    Haven't you noticed that there is a RECESSION at the moment!
    that means no jobs!
    Arghhhh! Idiot!

It's 8 months away! There may not be jobs in your chosen sector but get a job in Mc Donalds or Tesco or something FFS!
    There is no excuse to be thinking you'll be still sitting on your ass in 8 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Gu3rr1lla

greendom wrote: »
    he has to tread carefully though - the economy is in bad enough shape as it is - any increase in tax will have a dampening effect on the economy supressing demand even more. Look at most of the rest of the World increasing spending and reducing taxation. I know we don't have that liberty over here but he needs to be very careful to avoid the economy from completely keeling over.

Well they're spending borrowed money all they're doing is delaying their crash but once the banks call in the debt on them then they're ****ed aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Except for those discriminated against by the points system who have to pay thousands in fees and are exempt from any form of grant.

Chip on my shoulder? Bloody right there is.

There hasn't been fees in this country for a long time only a registration fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

What was this media hype about college fees? Am i right in saying that they havent been introduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Brutons Reply D-

Could do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Whatever people think about putting in place college fees to target the rich kids, every study which looks at how college fees operates always show that they hurt the poor the most, and the rich kids generally get the same they would have anyway. College fees only hurt the poor.

Means testing is a great idea in principle, but somebody has to run it. Look at how well the government run things currently and ask yourself whether or not you think they'll handle it well or will scores of kids from lower class area not even try anymore, especially after i'd imagine the countless cases of extremely poor families being told that they have to pay.

Negative means testing may work [where you look for people who do have to pay, rather than look for people who don't have to pay. A presumption of free fees], and that might be the solution, but its not a real solution to the problem in 3rd level funding, its just a minor reduction in public sector funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

hblock21 wrote: »
    Thats wasn't as shocking as I thought it would be.

Im actually very happy. €5 extra with the levy, bad debts taken off the banks (have shares in aib, so they should go up), nothing on petrol, nothing on drink! Cant think what else would affect me! :D

thats all for now. If I heard it all right, then the Dec Budget for 2010 is going e pretty bad. There was a lot of stuff unloaded within it all, but he mentioned it several times that there is a lot lot more pain to come next year.

That in itself is a bad thing. We need t get people spending again now, funding the general economy, if people know that they are going to hit hard again next year, then they won't spend. VAT, Stamp Duty and other purchase related taxes will bottom off and we'll be left with even more of a deficit!

It could and should have been much worse IMO.

Was there anything anywhere close to an admission of some responsibility for the current mess?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I'd agree as long as the means testing is done properly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

djk1000 wrote: »
    Was there anything anywhere close to an admission of some responsibility for the current mess?

No, he again blamed over-seas economies for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

This is easy for any person who is finished college to say , what about the current students and the future students then ? Would you be a +1 if they put forward a graduate tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Sarge wrote: »

I assume he went to a private college. Griffith probably?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Exactly.

It should be means tested AND performance tested.

The amount of fucking wasters not attending any lectures and repeating years is ridiculous. If you dont attend 90% of classes in any year or you have to repeat, you should be forced to pay fees for the remainder of your degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭carrieb

It could and should have been much worse IMO.

+ 1

No, he again blamed over-seas economies for everything.

Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sarge wrote: »

:confused:

So the €13,000 I paid for my third level education was a figment of my imagination?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

As for college fees, we really should follow the UK and go for a loan scheme where graduates begin to pay back once they reach a certain salary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

When is the diesel increasing by 5c, must fill 'er up if its midnight tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

Just heard that 20 lads from strasbourg in dark suits have just boarded a flight and are on their way over now. IMF or something was written on their suitcases.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

should have a text tax

make some load of money

+1, I totally agree with this, even 1c per message sent would bring in huge revenue! We should run the country!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kwyjibot

steps_3314 wrote: »
    "A Stamp Duty trading scheme will be introduced."

What does this mean?

I am proposing to establish a Stamp Duty “trade-in” scheme. This will enable a person purchasing a new house or apartment to trade-in their previous property with the seller who will not be liable to Stamp Duty until they subsequently sell the traded-in property on at a later stage.

My reading of this is that if I want to buy a house from you, I can give you my old one, and you don't pay stamp duty on it until you go to sell it to someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ashwood

Any change to the VAT rate?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement