Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget April 2009 as it happens.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Guys, stay on topic here please.

Other places to discuss college fees etc.

TunnelWeb wrote: »
    The dole should be taxed and cut!! Taxing ppl thru the teeth who are actually out working to pay for ppl who sit at home is unfair.:mad:

I'm sure people have all ready relied to this but I just read it and my God you seriously need to take of the blinkers and live in the real world for a minute. Most people who have signed on the dole in the past year have done so due to job loss. It;s not like the entire country came together and said, hang on lets all take it easy and accept free money.

While I agree that our social welfare system ahs been abused and will continue to tha vast majority of people currently on the dole are there through no choice of their own.

I can understand calls for those who have been on the dole for years and the entire families who have been signign on for years, (I can name dozens) to have theirs cut significantly but for you to say that people signing on now should be hit is just unacceptable. Grow up and live in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

They've definitely bottled it. All forms of social welfare needed cutting in line with the loss of income workers have suffered due to the recession itself and income levies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Elbi

ok cigaretts - is it 25 cents or 25%

Half my office say percent the other half say cent

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

djk1000 wrote: »
    Was there anything anywhere close to an admission of some responsibility for the current mess?

Might make us feel better but not the time or place to admit your failings when the rest of the world is watching . . .

Foreign investors wouldnt touch us with an iron bar if they thought we voted in clowns for 10 consecutive years!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

pipsqueak wrote: »
    Just heard that 20 lads from strasbourg in dark suits have just boarded a flight and are on their way over now. IMF or something was written on their suitcases.

Yep they are getting closer, does anyone think this budget went far enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

djk1000 wrote: »
    Was there anything anywhere close to an admission of some responsibility for the current mess?

Ha! Good one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

No, he again blamed over-seas economies for everything.

dont forget the "the no vote in lisbon didnt help" dig :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

Elbi wrote: »

25 CENTS clarified on RTÉ 1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Petrol will be going up now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Looks like the taxpayer will be bailing out the Banks and the developers:mad:

WTF

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Tobacco Excise

The Excise Duty on a packet of 20 cigarettes will be increased by 25 cent (including VAT) with a pro-rata increase on other tobacco products, with effect from midnight on 7 April 2009.

DIRECT FROM THE BUDGET

http://www.budget.gov.ie/2009SupApril09/SummaryofSupplementaryBudgetMeasuresPolicyChanges.html

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

kwyjibot wrote: »
    My reading of this is that if I want to buy a house from you, I can give you my old one, and you don't pay stamp duty on it until you go to sell it to someone else.

Ah.

Thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

The budget didn't seem to go far enough, though perhaps it's a bit early to tell. What really disappoints me is how, like previous budgets since the boom collapsed, it's completely unimaginative. The Central Bank as regulator is a good start, but beyond that I can't see anything but attempts easy answers.

(Richard Bruton just said what I typed. Weird. Does this mean I'm a FGer? *shudder*)

Resi12 wrote: »
    Oh yes because that's the thing we need now us young people having to pay to get a good job and career.
    I would have to get start off life with a debt of over 6 grand in a recession with no job's to pay it back.

For them to bring in fee's would be them killing themselves.

+1

If fees are brought in, what's to stop students from going to college abroad, where they've a better chance of getting a job after graduating? Considering they government are staking recovery on the line that "we are a still a good country to invest in, we have a good educated workforce, smart economy etc. etc.". That'll be sorely damaged by fees, which I've no doubt will cut college numbers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

The income levy is 2% up to 75k and 4% after that and so and so forth....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

hellboy99 wrote: »

No just diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

Villain wrote: »
    Yep they are getting closer, does anyone think this budget went far enough?

ill have 50 yo yos with paddy power that the imf will be in by july!!

Budget didnt cut deep enough, what happened to the 800 quangos? why was fas budget not slashed? why coillte not sold off?
    too soft far too soft
    country f****d!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Elbi wrote: »

RTE is saying 25 cents

PCros wrote: »
    No just diesel.
    Yeah, but what transports the petrol to the filling stations, diesel filled trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What the hell is the point of that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol talking about artists. Pleeeeeeease mention the U2 tax dodger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

hellboy99 wrote: »

No it's not. Diesel is. +5c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

They should have been much braver on spending. Typical political budget, trying to save their own butts. He pointed out that public jobs cost €30bn per year and social welfare is a similar figure.

He should have hit social welfare, not leaving it alone. I am sorry but the dole should be reduced end of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Nice to see how they ramped up the poxy income levy, there goes 4%.
    It'll probably have another increase in next budget.

Cigs up 25c or 25% increase on the excise/duty. Well I will not buy Irish cigs any longer, time to take advantage of our common EU market.

No real change to SW payments or minimum wage.

No accountability or ownership by the government for the mess they created whilst they still look after the vested interest groups of
    bankers, builders and publicans.

Time for the IMF me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol talking about artists. Pleeeeeeease mention the U2 tax dodger.

But can you put a price on their cultural contribution to the country?

*vomits*

Baldie wrote: »
    Yeah, but what transports the petrol to the filling stations, diesel filled trucks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Baldie wrote: »

Which will increase transportation costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

nvm read wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I really think they missed an opportunity by not taxing Pringles as crisps instead of biscuits.

• Advertisement

under 20 or under 29 ? what does it mean?

Under 21's job seekers allowance was cut 50%.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement