Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget April 2009 as it happens.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Tom65 wrote: »
    The budget didn't seem to go far enough, though perhaps it's a bit early to tell. What really disappoints me is how, like previous budgets since the boom collapsed, it's completely unimaginative. The Central Bank as regulator is a good start, but beyond that I can't see anything but attempts easy answers.

(Richard Bruton just said what I typed. Weird. Does this mean I'm a FGer? *shudder*)

+1

If fees are brought in, what's to stop students from going to college abroad, where they've a better chance of getting a job after graduating? Considering they government are staking recovery on the line that "we are a still a good country to invest in, we have a good educated workforce, smart economy etc. etc.". That'll be sorely damaged by fees, which I've no doubt will cut college numbers here.

I am going to college abroad. I am getting out of this sinking ship asap.
    I will not let these greedy you know what's ruin my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Thread is going off topic a bit, I've started a discussion thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055532739

keep this for the blow by blow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Next person to continue the college fees debate gets banned

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

Gah! Whats wrong with you?
    Haven't you noticed that there is a RECESSION at the moment!
    that means no jobs!
    Arghhhh! Idiot!

Your preaching to the choir there mate, I'm unemployed myself.

RTE just said that it was in fact a 25 cent increase on cigarettes not percent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

From the Indo site, not alone have they doubled the Income levy, they have doubled the 2% Health Levy too and you now pay it on €15,028 p.a. up.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/budget-2009/news/budget-2009-live-1701139.html

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Archimedes wrote: »
    I really think they missed an opportunity by not taxing Pringles as crisps instead of biscuits.

I know right?! Same with Jaffa Cakes not being taxed as they are cakes not biscuts which are more of a luxury than cake:confused::P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

under 20 or under 29 ? what does it mean?

Under 20s will have their dole money reduced to €100 and asked to go to courses and training (not sure what these courses are?)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Archimedes wrote: »
    I really think they missed an opportunity by not taxing Pringles as crisps instead of biscuits.

And what of Jaffa Cakes? Biscuits or cakes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Doubs wrote: »
    Your preaching to the choir there mate, I'm unemployed myself.

There are jobs out there, you just don't wanna do them, because we've become comfortable from the Celtic Tiger and think we're above serving Big Macs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Same here, rents are staying the same or going UP!!! :confused:

You need to move!!! Your current landlord just assumes your too lazy to move or shop around. Rents are down substantially. Checking daft, I can see that the same houses I was renting a year ago are now 50 euro cheaper. My accommodation at the moment is also 50 euro cheaper than it was last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

did bruton just say "Niggardely"?? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Xavi6 wrote: »

Biscuit definitely.

Thats what all the hubbub over the Lisbon Treaty was about. Had we voted yes, we would have had to recognise them as a cake, and dammit, that's just not on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭TunnelWeb

PCros wrote: »
    Under 20s will have their dole money reduced to €100 and asked to go to courses and training (not sure what these courses are?)

Brillo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Just caught the end of Lemonhans speech - not impressed.

How many Junior ministers are gone \?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

ahhhhh stop talking about jaffa cakes ya bastartds im craving them now:mad:

*runs to tesco*

DSB wrote: »
    There are jobs out there, you just don't wanna do them, because we've become comfortable from the Celtic Tiger and think we're above serving Big Macs.

Mc Donalds are swimming in applications from graduates and professionals at the moment, I heard a McD's manager being interviewed a few weeks back.

I don't think that people in jobs realise just how tough it is at the moment.

If that's the case why are many fast food joints now recieving over 500 applicants to jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Alot of people claiming the dole would rather sit at home than work in a shop or work in McDonalds or something, the dole has to be an disincentive at the moment it isnt, over €800 a month for doing nothing, ridic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

this was Bruton's big chance to shine. I'm normally a fan of his, but he's looking decidely shakey atm

• Advertisement

T-K-O wrote: »
    Just caught the end of Lemonhans speech - not impressed.

How many Junior ministers are gone \?

5 Gone, watch the country crumble and grind to a halt without them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

thanks now im hungry:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

pipsqueak wrote: »
    did bruton just say "Niggardely"?? :eek:

niggardly
    –adjective
    1. reluctant to give or spend; stingy; miserly.
    2. meanly or ungenerously small or scanty: a niggardly tip to a waiter.

Before you ask, it's got absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with a certain racist "N" word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

Brace yourself Poindexter...
    huh??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

this was Bruton's big chance to shine. I'm normally a fan of his, but he's looking decidely shakey atm

+1, incredibly shaky. He was way better back in October, but now is his chance to twist the knife and make a real impression and just like the budget it looks like he's bottling it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

You've got the wrong end of the stick there, read my previous comments in this thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

kwyjibot wrote: »
    My reading of this is that if I want to buy a house from you, I can give you my old one, and you don't pay stamp duty on it until you go to sell it to someone else.

Yeah this baffles me, can anyone explain it clearly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

djk1000 wrote: »
    Mc Donalds are swimming in applications from graduates and professionals at the moment, I heard a McD's manager being interviewed a few weeks back.

I don't think that people in jobs realise just how tough it is at the moment.

If someone has tried the bottom of the chain as far as work gos, then fair enough, but I personally can't accept the idea of someone moaning over not getting a christmas bonus from the government for getting to sit at home all day because they're not willing to lower themselves to jobs that were mocked during the golden years. And I think thats alot of what it is, and if we're to get out of this recession, the government have to stop looking at the exceptions, and start thinking about the general rule, who are milking the state. Not everyone, but a large amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

djk1000 wrote: »
    5 Gone, watch the country crumble and grind to a halt without them!

:D I'd doubt it but so far this budget is a disaster: As a country, we where in a good position but FF are making all the wrong moves.

General Election must happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

I'm feeling pretty relieved in a way because not much of it effects me for the moment.

I was prepared for a much higher tax hike and a lot more pain than that gave, stressed, but prepared.

Behind the relief though I have a horrible sinking feeling that this just wasnt tough enough- it doesnt go nearly far enough in either demonstrating the willingness and commitment to fix this mess. The fact is though- I dont think this is what's going to save us, and the reality is that they just didnt man up enough to make the unpopular choices now. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement