Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget April 2009 as it happens.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

6% on incomes of €175,000....so they take €10,500 off them before tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭TunnelWeb

Sarge wrote: »
    People should be sticking together and demanding no education fee for third level .

+1 Agreed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Easy to know that you xavi that you have graduated. People should be sticking together and demanding no education fee for third level .

Education is a right not a privilege.

Third level education is a privilege, not a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

TripleAce wrote: »
    The dole is rubbish anyway, about 200€/week too much IMO. And I being laid off next month myself so I am not saying this from a comfortable position..... but complaining now that there won't be a "Christmas Bonus" is ridiculous ffs! We are in March and this means some people plan to stay on the dole for the next 9 months??????????????? :mad:
    Cut it after 6 months IMO!

Newsflash. It's April.

Yours,
    The Month Police

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

terrible budget, ridiculous stuff

nothing about public service reform

what are FF playing at? not giving copies of the budget to the opposition in advance? but the media get copies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭steof1984

loved the part " i along with representatives, will travel to other countries looking to adopt their policies"

Or

"Feck yas all me and the lads are going on a piss up to prague, And you're all paying haha

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Easy to know that you xavi that you have graduated. People should be sticking together and demanding no education fee for third level .

Education is a right not a privilege.

Except for those discriminated against by the points system who have to pay thousands in fees and are exempt from any form of grant.

Chip on my shoulder? Bloody right there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

pipsqueak wrote: »
    mary coughlan is hot!!
    Sweaty like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I missed the TRS bit - the bank rang me :pac:

Whats happenning to mortgage interest relief?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

dole money and mickey money untouched!:eek:

bring on the election!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

PCros wrote: »
    People are trying, I am but its ****ing hard! I hate going to that post office every week.

I agree its hard, but I think it's indicative of how hard (most) people are actively seeking out work that they complain about losing a bonus that's 8 months away. The people who complain the most are probably the one's who expect to still be on the dole at Christmas, terrible attitude.

No one should really care about the bonus at the moment, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭carrieb

Fairly big for a "mini" budget but they haven't done enough at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Thats wasn't as shocking as I thought it would be.

Im actually very happy. €5 extra with the levy, bad debts taken off the banks (have shares in aib, so they should go up), nothing on petrol, nothing on drink! Cant think what else would affect me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

"We've been hit by a tsunami of pressure coming from overseas"

Well its hardly going to come from within our own land now is it dumb dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Archimedes wrote: »
    yeah but educating as much of our population to the highest level possible is a good thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Elbi

Archimedes wrote: »

But is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Bruton called the recession "an unfortunate thing that came from overseas".......hes getting biblical now!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

pipsqueak wrote: »
    dole money and mickey money untouched!:eek:

bring on the election!!

Wait till december

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭joeystrider

Villain wrote: »
    An increase in excise on Drink would drive more trade across the border and result in a decrease in excise tax collection to the Government, pretty simple really, of course maybe some people want us to increase the UK Exchequer

Exactly. Not to mention the amount of booze cruises to France. Alcohol is a big industry and big seller, it would be stupid to deter people from buying here further.

Cigarettes and diesel are much easier to tax as they are addictive or necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Definately thought he said increase was going to be 25% of the current excise tax on cigarettes...which I imagine is quite a bit higher than 25c/pack-I'd say its gone over e9/pack now. So perhaps its time to head to the giving up smoking forum-anyone coming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭carrieb

Doubs wrote: »
    I agreed its hard, but I think it's indicative of how hard (most) people are actively seeking out work that they complain about losing a bonus that's 8 months away. The people who complain the most are probably the one's who expect to still be on the dole at Christmas, terrible attitude.

Couldnt agree with you more. If you are sure you'll still be on the dole in 8 mths time it's because you want to be. You are lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

carrieb wrote: »
    Fairly big for a "mini" budget but they haven't done enough at all.

Nowhere near enough. I'm actually stunned, we're in big, big trouble.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

PCros wrote: »
    Bruton called the recession "an unfortunate thing that came from overseas".......hes getting biblical now!

Thats what FF are calling it for feck sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭TunnelWeb

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Except for those discriminated against by the points system who have to pay thousands in fees and are exempt from any form of grant.

Chip on my shoulder? Bloody right there is.

Damn right!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

ferdi wrote: »
    6% on incomes of €175,000....so they take €10,500 off them before tax?

he has to tread carefully though - the economy is in bad enough shape as it is - any increase in tax will have a dampening effect on the economy supressing demand even more. Look at most of the rest of the World increasing spending and reducing taxation. I know we don't have that liberty over here but he needs to be very careful to avoid the economy from completely keeling over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Stuff I like in the budget, but not enough, not by a long shot. If FF don't have the you now what's to tackle the Civil Service now, it will never happen. So many hard working people in the civil service, but many more ass scratchers that need to go. Too many cosy perks that needed to be taken away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

This country is f*cked, they blue the money we got during the good times and now that we need them to stand up and take the hard decsions they have bottled it, they are cowards and they are leading us into a disaster that can be avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

hblock21 wrote: »
    Wait till december
    yea no more 10,000 xmas lights outside the council gaf!!

(Protect the most vulnerable my eye)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

I agree its hard, but I think it's indicative of how hard (most) people are actively seeking out work that they complain about losing a bonus that's 8 months away. The people who complain the most are probably the one's who expect to still be on the dole at Christmas, terrible attitude.

Spot on.....I'll be tearing my hair out if I'm still on the dole come Xmas, people should not be looking that far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

people who complain about the christmas bonus being cut are whats wrong with this country, ffs it's 8 months away, how about making an effort to get a job whereby it won't matter?

Gah! Whats wrong with you?
    Haven't you noticed that there is a RECESSION at the moment!
    that means no jobs!
    Arghhhh! Idiot!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement