Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to insert an image into the Masterpage background?

Options
  • 07-04-2009 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

hey guys im a beginner in website development.

just wondering how do you insert an image into a Masterpage background in visual studio? I want the image to appear in the background of the webpage when running websites. I have been at it for hours and cannot solve it. I thought the way around would be to select the style property and select background and then imageurl but that does not seem to work.

How should I go about doing it? Could someone give me step by step instructions.

cheers and thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

In what way is it not working ?

I'm no expert in Visual Studio (wouldn't go near it to do a website) but my first guess for something like this would be that it's either (a) not putting a relative URL or (b) not uploading the image with the page ?

But we'd need a better description of what's happening than "not working" in order to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

ok

The background image that i want in the website is visible in the Master page template but when i run the website the background image is not uploading, All I see is a white background with text, navigation contents page etc. everything appears but the background image.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

You have to be careful with masterpages as links to an image will be in relation to the page you are actually viewing not the masterpage itself.
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I'm no expert in Visual Studio (wouldn't go near it to do a website)

Give it a try seriously. One of the best IDEs out there for web development. If you have tried it and don't like it fine but I really hope this isn't an MS thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

musician wrote: »
    Give it a try seriously. One of the best IDEs out there for web development. If you have tried it and don't like it fine but I really hope this isn't an MS thing.

Last time I used it there were 3 (related) problems:

1) The CSS was generated inline
    2) The CSS made the pages only work in fixed-width displays and/or MSIE
    3) Fixing the CSS got undone EVERY single time you reopened the editor

So you're partially right, but I lost 2 days and a LOT of hair on that project; hadn't chosen VS, it was contract work for a client that was using it, and they wanted my help with to make it work cross-browser.....

SERIOUS pain in the butt to watch your changes disappear.....

You have to be careful with masterpages as links to an image will be in relation to the page you are actually viewing not the masterpage itself.

+1. The same thing used to happen in earlier versions of Dreamweaver (although I think they've fixed it now) if the image and/or controlling CSS are set relative to a template or include file.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

After all of that I eventually figured it out, over the moon now with my efforts. Trial and error eventually got it for me. Thanks anyway guys for your help.

teednab-el

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Last time I used it there were 3 (related) problems:

1) The CSS was generated inline
    2) The CSS made the pages only work in fixed-width displays and/or MSIE
    3) Fixing the CSS got undone EVERY single time you reopened the editor

That sounds like the 2003 version to me. The 2008 version has far superior css support (in fact better than anything else I've seen) and I'm pretty sure it makes it much easier to ensure it goes in an external file. Top feature for me is javascript intellisense in external files and support for jquery. Mainly because I'm writing script so much more these days. Was always a hand coder for css really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

That sounds like the 2003 version to me. The 2008 version has far superior css support (in fact better than anything else I've seen) and I'm pretty sure it makes it much easier to ensure it goes in an external file. Top feature for me is javascript intellisense in external files and support for jquery. Mainly because I'm writing script so much more these days. Was always a hand coder for css really.

+1

I'm liking VS 2008 but every so often it slows down my computer to unusable levels. A quick reboot and all is ok so I dont mind that much.

Intellisense is a must have in any IDE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭LowOdour

teednab-el wrote: »
    After all of that I eventually figured it out, over the moon now with my efforts. Trial and error eventually got it for me. Thanks anyway guys for your help.

teednab-el

Thats good that you figured out the problem but you should post up your findings/results. Someone may end up on this page via google etc with the exact same problem but with no answer. Just a thought!

Advertisement