Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Centre Wards Signs

Options
  • 07-04-2009 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all
    Every time I walk around Cork I'm always amazed by the number of plaques and signs I see. I'd say I find a new one every time I go in town but there's a certain type that I keep seeing. It's the City Centre Ward type.

I did a little search and found this

"Under the Municipal Corporations (Ireland) Act, 1840, Cork was divided into eight wards, returning 16 Aldermen and 48 Councillors to the Corporation, and the official style and title of the Corporate Body was the Mayor, Sheriffs, and Commonalty of the City of Cork. The eight wards into which the city was divided under that Act were described as the Lee Ward, St. Patrick's Ward, Glanmire Ward, Corn Market Ward, St. Fin Bar's Ward, Mansion House Ward, Exchange Ward, and Custom House Ward."
    http://www.corkcity.ie/citycouncil/charters/

I'm guessing the signs date back to this time, around 1840's.

So far I've found signs on 6 different buildings that show Wards 3, 4, 5 (three times) and 6 so I'm wondering if anyone know if signs 1, 2, 7 and 8 have survived to this day or what might of happened to the other signs?

Ward 3 on the corner of Maylor St and Parnell Place
    Ward3MalyorSt.jpg

Ward 4 on the corner of Oliver Punkett St and Grand Parade
    Ward4GrandParade.jpg

Ward 5 across the road from Daunt Sauare on the corner building
    Ward5Pana.jpg

Ward 5a on corner of Oliver Punkett St and Parnell Place
    Ward5OliverPansParnellPGrandParade.jpg

Ward 5b on the corner of Castle St and North main St. It's under this plank
    Waed52CastleSt.jpg

Ward 5b upcolse
    Waed5.jpg

Ward 6 on the corner on Castle St and North Main St
    Ward6CastleSt.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

To be perfectly honest, I've never heard nor noticed this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

Interesting! :-o
    I'll take a look around for you, OP, whenever I'll find my self wandering trough the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

Thats actually kinda cool. I've never known what that was about and always forgot about it by the time I got home to look into it. Clears that up. I'll keep my eyes peeled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

The St. Finbarres one is up by the Cathedral more than likely (stating the obvious lol )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ajsp.

Thanks guys, I'm sure there's more out there to be found

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I'm pretty sure i've seen one of these around anglsea street or close.
    I'll keep an eye out for it ....

Bump.

Anyone find anymore signs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I've known about these for a while, but never thought of looking for them. Great thread! I'll keep my eyes open.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

There are some '2' signs around Bllinlough Douglas area

Andip wrote: »

Cool, Would they be around Douglas Road?

• Advertisement

I still havn't found any new signs, anyone else have better luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Andip wrote: »

If you live in that area, and you pay your TV license, the address on your license will read 'Cork 2'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

there is a centre ward No 9 sign in North main street. They are very old signs , from probably the 1920s. They are finished in white and have a Star of David incorporated. must take a picture sometime.

G Luxel wrote: »
    there is a centre ward No 9 sign in North main street. They are very old signs , from probably the 1920s. They are finished in white and have a Star of David incorporated. must take a picture sometime.

Cool
    Yet another sign I've never seen. Could you tell me where abouts on North Main St it is?

bump!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 dennisc24

Waed52CastleSt.jpg

The ones like this one are more modern than the ones that refer to wards. The wards were designated under British rule (not sure why, but I think the OP already found this out).

The signs like this one for Castle Street show the local postcode. This sign shows that Castle Street is located in Cork 1. They're just like the Dublin postcodes e.g. O'Connell Street is in Dublin 1, Westmoreland Street is in Dublin 2 etc. You see these signs around Dublin as well so that you know what postal code area you're in. These postcodes were assigned to Cork too (not sure if it was at the same time as Dublin) to be used as postcodes just as they are in Dublin. The practice was never enforced in Cork (or we simply didn't take to it - not sure), but the signs still remain.

The more modern postcode signs go from 1 to 5. As a general rule, Cork 1 is the Central Island, though it does spill over a little to the quays on the North and South sides. Cork 2 is the south-east of the city, e.g. Blackrock, Mahon, Douglas etc. Cork 3 is the north-west, e.g. Shandon, Knocknaheeney, Sunday's Well etc. Cork 4 is the south-west, e.g. Bishopstown, Togher, Glasheen etc., and Cork 5 is the north-east, e.g. Mayfield, Montenotte, St Lukes etc.

Unlike Dublin, simply saying that you're from Cork 4 or Cork 2 etc. would not imply your social status, wealth etc. if these postcodes were actually in use in Cork. Each area contains affluent areas and disadvantaged areas.

Hopefully, they'll never bring postcodes to Ireland. Something has to be said for the simplicity of an Irish postal address that is devoid of postcodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

dennisc24 wrote: »
    Waed52CastleSt.jpg

The ones like this one are more modern than the ones that refer to wards. The wards were designated under British rule (not sure why, but I think the OP already found this out).

The signs like this one for Castle Street show the local postcode. This sign shows that Castle Street is located in Cork 1. They're just like the Dublin postcodes e.g. O'Connell Street is in Dublin 1, Westmoreland Street is in Dublin 2 etc. You see these signs around Dublin as well so that you know what postal code area you're in. These postcodes were assigned to Cork too (not sure if it was at the same time as Dublin) to be used as postcodes just as they are in Dublin. The practice was never enforced in Cork (or we simply didn't take to it - not sure), but the signs still remain.

The more modern postcode signs go from 1 to 5. As a general rule, Cork 1 is the Central Island, though it does spill over a little to the quays on the North and South sides. Cork 2 is the south-east of the city, e.g. Blackrock, Mahon, Douglas etc. Cork 3 is the north-west, e.g. Shandon, Knocknaheeney, Sunday's Well etc. Cork 4 is the south-west, e.g. Bishopstown, Togher, Glasheen etc., and Cork 5 is the north-east, e.g. Mayfield, Montenotte, St Lukes etc.

Unlike Dublin, simply saying that you're from Cork 4 or Cork 2 etc. would not imply your social status, wealth etc. if these postcodes were actually in use in Cork. Each area contains affluent areas and disadvantaged areas.

Hopefully, they'll never bring postcodes to Ireland. Something has to be said for the simplicity of an Irish postal address that is devoid of postcodes.

I think he means under the sign your talking about behind the piece of wood ?

dennisc24 wrote: »
    Waed52CastleSt.jpg

I'm talking about the sign under the plank ( which has since been removed)
    I think he means under the sign your talking about behind the piece of wood ?

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Slightly off topic but there is a sign at top of Grand Parade near Paul st corner which says "Grand Parade" but the Irish is Sraid an capaill buidhe"..sorry but my irish spelling is from memory. Anyway this is "street of the yellow horse" and there is a historical explanation for this aabout a monument with a horse thereon painted yellow.

dewdrop wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but there is a sign at top of Grand Parade near Paul st corner which says "Grand Parade" but the Irish is Sraid an capaill buidhe"..sorry but my irish spelling is from memory. Anyway this is "street of the yellow horse" and there is a historical explanation for this aabout a monument with a horse thereon painted yellow.

Tue, the horse got fired into the Lee by Nano Nagle Bridge only to float away and never be seen again. I must look up that story again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭subedei

dewdrop wrote: »

Think it was a statue of some King of England on his horse, hence why it was disposed of after the war independance

Bump.

I still haven't been able to find anymore signs,starting to think that these few are the only ones left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

I have seen those signs around and often wondered what they actually meant so thanks OP for getting around to photoing them and getting a discussion going! Fair dues!

Fabio wrote: »
    I have seen those signs around and often wondered what they actually meant so thanks OP for getting around to photoing them and getting a discussion going! Fair dues!

Thanks Fabio

Anyone find any more signs???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

The 'Ward No. 1' sign is on Bridge Street, I think.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Spotted a sign the other day - sorry for the delay :)
    There's one on albert quay on the old building think it was a tyre fitting place

Lemag wrote: »
    The 'Ward No. 1' sign is on Bridge Street, I think.
    mik_da_man wrote: »
    Spotted a sign the other day - sorry for the delay :)
    There's one on albert quay on the old building think it was a tyre fitting place

Thanks guys, I'll try and get to them over the weekend and post them up here.
    I was starting to think that there was no more to be found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BarneyMagee

There's one on Castle Street at its junction with North Main street.

Advertisement