Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas bonus - gone!!

Options
  • 07-04-2009 4:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

OMG! :mad: ...and they are cutting rent suppliment, i can't belive this!!!!!

:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Get a job, hippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The fact you are calling it a "christmas bonus" is why it's going....
    OMG! :mad: ...and they are cutting rent suppliment, i can't belive this!!!!!

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I know,
    It's hard enough at xmas but what the hell are we gonna do now?
    You want to check out the 2009 budget as it happens thread, there are people in there saying that the welfare payments should all have been reduced!!!!!!
    Honest to god, I don't get some people!!!!!!
    I'll tell you what's gonna happen.... more young suicides, there is already a huge increase in suicide rates and cutting the dole for under 20's will tip many over the edge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a job, hippy.
    Where do you want him to get this job, on the moon?
    If you want to be rude and obnoxious do it somewhere else..............

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'll do the moderating, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I know,
    It's hard enough at xmas but what the hell are we gonna do now?
    You want to check out the 2009 budget as it happens thread, there are people in there saying that the welfare payments should all have been reduced!!!!!!
    Honest to god, I don't get some people!!!!!!
    I'll tell you what's gonna happen.... more young suicides, there is already a huge increase in suicide rates and cutting the dole for under 20's will tip many over the edge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't have to celebrate xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Cost of living has dropped but standard welfare is at the same level.

It is simple, save until the next budget when this will be dropped I imagine.

I don't have a problem with a reduction in rent supplement either. Rents have dropped massively. I think single people getting rent allowance have a very good standard of living at the moment.

I believe in protecting them, I believe in not making them have to live on crap food and I think it should cover some extra entertainment. I think the current welfare allowances are more than enough.

Anyone complaining is either not on it or doesn't realise the state of the economy in which case you mustn't be looking for work.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Think of it another way, they are not abolishing it they are just linking it to productivity.

Rent allowance reductions will only affect private landlords, not people on social welfare.

The cut of dole by 50% for under 20s is dramatic though - I presume FAS course applicants will not be affected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Rents have nor gone down for me and many i know, cost of living has not been enough to keep pace with the costs of goods and staples. It's easy for those working to say....don't celebrate Xmas, which i think is very unfair to those with small children, the dole is hard enough at Xmas without this extra burden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is a "Christmas Bonus"? Does this apply to public or private sector? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is a "Christmas Bonus"? Does this apply to public or private sector? Thanks.

There is a double dole payment a few weeks before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

thebman wrote: »
    Cost of living has dropped
    Has it, I must of been left out then :confused:

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'll do the moderating, thanks.

Sorry about that Oscar Bravo, got a little hot under my collar there for a few mins!!!!
    Won't happen again
    Sorry:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Its a double payment of dole or pensions for one week so you get €408 rather than €204 at Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Its a double payment of dole or pensions for one week so you get €408 rather than €204 at Christmas

What i always found funny is you had to be on the dole 15 months to qualify for this christmas bonus

Just REWARD people for staying on the dole longer

What i always found funny is you had to be on the dole 15 months to qualify for this christmas bonus

Seriously, I'm only on it since last week so I wont miss what I never had, but yes I agree, I am only on the dole because of no job:( I dont want to be on it!!!

Have they done anything about re-introducing college fees?

not yet fluffyorganic1. From what I understand they said that the Min for Education is going to discuss that!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

Agreed, it's ridiculous.

I mentioned this in the main 'as it happens' thread, but (IMO)people who complain about the bonus being cut are what's wrong with the country, it's 8 months away ffs, terrible attitude.

I have a couple of friends who are long time claimers (due to being able to survive on the dole and not looking for work very hard), and they call it 'double dole' with a laugh and a grin - and while this isn't the case for everyone obviously, it's a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

Have they done anything about re-introducing college fees?

I could be wrong, but I thought there was an announcement a few weeks ago saying the reintroduction of fees definitely wont happen this Sept, but the one after.
    I could be wrong though. Nothing about it yet in todays budget.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

No you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's eight months between now and Christmas.

Do people expect to still be on the dole by then and if so, when do you think you'll be able to find work?

Do people expect to still be on the dole by then and if so, when do you think you'll be able to find work?

No one can get a job. There are accountants and architechs applying for jobs in Mc Donalds! I would take a job brushing the streets if it was available. Nowadays it isnt dossers on the dole, it is the unemployed who want to be working as well as the dossers!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's easy for those working to say....don't celebrate Xmas, which i think is very unfair to those with small children, the dole is hard enough at Xmas without this extra burden.
    Here's what you do: Plan. Most of the rest of us don't get any kind of "bonus" at Christmas and yet we somehow find a way to work within our means and enjoy christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mandandpeter

seamus wrote: »
    Here's what you do: Plan. Most of the rest of us don't get any kind of "bonus" at Christmas and yet we somehow find a way to work within our means and enjoy christmas.

Yes but you work so you get more money! Minimum wage minimum, we get less than minimum wage! I plan everyweek and still only end up with a few cents left over a week, Jobs are very hard to come by these days as someone has already said proffessionals are either signing on or applying for jobs at mc donalds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Yes but of you work then you get more money! Minimum wage, we get less than minimum wage!

So you should get the same amount of money as someone that is working?

I imagine people will be able to find work when there actually some jobs being created rather than being cut!!!!!!!!!!
    Funny how a recession makes finding a job even harder !!!

I agree there are some people out there who are just taking the mick out of the welfare system but the majority are on it and absolutely hate it!!

I have friends who have been looking for work for the past year and can't even get an interview

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Sorry lads, but just be thankful welfare did not receive more cuts as was needed.

The government cannot pay for Christmas, we are going through one of the worst recessions in history.

Maybe skip Christmas for one year, it sounds dreadful but we are still trying to live in the Celtic Tiger era even though our economy is in a tailspin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

you're able to afford internet access? there's one thing you could cut back on... join a library, us the net there for free to check emails

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

not surprised,we have one of the most generious welfare system in europe,and yes the cost of living has come down aswell,not surprised cutting it for under 20s either,most them would be still living at home

Advertisement