Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas bonus - gone!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

uoluol wrote: »
    It is a "bonus" ie something that is above the norm. It was something that was great to get when times where good - but unfortunately now things are bad "bonus" items have to go.

Sounds logical.

By definition, something that is a bonus is not a regular entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

There will be less revenue in sales this Xmas and a lot of unhappy kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

AS someome pointed out....the landloards will make the money back through rent hikes, and there is no rubbish about tenents telling a landlord to bog off....?????
    People on rent allownace CANNOT tell a landlord to bog off, landlords who accept rent allownance a few and far between, it's stupid to suggest those who rent and get an allowance can dictate rent levels, what'll happen is LESS landlords will want rent supplement receivers as tenents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

NTLsucks wrote: »
    did u ever think someone of us might'n t want a job? there is such thing as the right not to work in soceity you know. what are people who dont want a job supposed to do for xmas now that the bonus is gone?

Pathetic!!
    Why should we all work our asses off so that you can sit on yours all day claiming off the dole? If you dont ''want'' a job then you have no right to complain about not getting enough free money! Its people like you that are wrong with the world!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

did u ever think someone of us might'n t want a job? there is such thing as the right not to work in soceity you know. what are people who dont want a job supposed to do for xmas now that the bonus is gone?

Contribute to society like the rest of us or GTFO. It's people like you who give social welfare claimants a bad name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 NTLsucks

for god sake i didnt say i would never want a job..just dont want one for the moment with summer just around the corner..there is no way im spendin a summer flipping burgers in mcdonalds like a retard when i could be out havin a few cans and a laugh. maybe i might try for one after the summer if i feel up for it but with the country in a mess cos of the government there is a high chance i wont find one. then where does that leave me??

it is highly likely i will be still on the dole by xmas and then it will be like the goverment is twisting the knife in our backs by taking a way the bonus while everyone else gets to enjoy xmas. why should the poorest section of soceity suffer the most at xmas by losing the bonus, explain that to me?

Its your fault your poor!! You wont get a job! Because you want to laze around for the summer with a few cans! Really like!!!! FFS!!!

He's either a troll or very uneducated. It the attitude which is shared by NTLsucks and many other dole fraudsters which has contributed significantly to the current attitude many have toward all dole claimants.

I find it ironic that his user name is NTLsucks, whats the odds that the government is paying for his NTl.

Looking at some of my college mates I'm shocked by the sheer audacity of them. I know of some guys getting the full grant who are jetting off to spend 3 months in either Thailand or the Tenerife.

I asked some of my college mates if they would like to come camping in Austria for a few days. I told them it would cost us about 150 euro each and would be a nice holiday. One class mate told me that he couldn't afford it as he was going to Slane, the unmentionable festival, EP, Life Fest, Rory Gallagher fest, a few weeks in New York and then another holiday over the summer. He then proceeded to complain about how hard it was to live off the grant every month. He goes out drinking 3 or 4 nights a week.

Then there was the classic quote from a college mate who said and I quote "If your parents can't afford to send you to college then you don't belong there". This from a lad who gets the grant and can still attend college while living at home with his parents.

Sorry about that small rant, sometimes you just need to vent a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

Seriously, you think we should pity you cos you don't want a job, can't get up off your arse and work for a living? We, who are working our asses off to make ends meet, should feel sorry for someone who says that you might not want a job?? Give me a break!!! In answer to your question, I couldn't care less what you do for Christmas if that's you're attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ask my arse. With just three posts your clearly a troll.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

then where does that leave me??

Living on the street, and probably rightly so considering you would rather turn down a paying job in order to go on a binge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Black Lead

My Xmas bonus has always paid for my Xmas presents that i get for family and friends god knows what I'll do now;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

what the hell...no xmas bonus!! that is not gonna go down well at all, hitting the poorest section of soceity again as usual. and rent allowance gone down too, there's goes my one night out a week if i have to spend more money on rent. this budget is a ****ing joke.

And there goes my one night out if I have to pay more tax.

:D Is that a real right? Like the right to life, right to own property, etc?

For Christmas you can start now and use your free time to find the best bargains in the closing down sales.

Can I ask why do you not want to work and are you a regualr boards user too ashamed to post this under your usual name?;)

I know,
    It's hard enough at xmas but what the hell are we gonna do now?
    You want to check out the 2009 budget as it happens thread, there are people in there saying that the welfare payments should all have been reduced!!!!!!
    Honest to god, I don't get some people!!!!!!
    I'll tell you what's gonna happen.... more young suicides, there is already a huge increase in suicide rates and cutting the dole for under 20's will tip many over the edge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bull****.Show me figures.It is wel known that suicides lower in rough times due to everybody suffering.Suicide is more likely in prosperous times due to isolation caused by not being successful in life while everybody else seems to be doing well.

*Honey* wrote: »
    In answer to your question, I couldn't care less what you do for Christmas if that's you're attitude.

He'll join the food queue and contact SVP.People like that are always first in the queue for handouts when the people who really need handouts are usually too embarassed to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 NTLsucks

Black Lead wrote: »
    My Xmas bonus has always paid for my Xmas presents that i get for family and friends god knows what I'll do now;)

same here, and its the same for about 250000 other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

I got a "bonus" at christmas but then got no payment the week after.

is this how its supposed to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

How much revenue capital actually can be raised by hitting that double week, it seems like it is a small stone in relation to capital generation and doesnt make sense

same here, and its the same for about 250000 other people.

Get a job then!!!!!!
    A lot of people cant work, you couldnt be bothered even looking!

sunnyside wrote: »
    He'll join the food queue and contact SVP.People like that are always first in the queue for handouts when the people who really need handouts are usually too embarassed to ask.

Exactly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

for god sake i didnt say i would never want a job..just dont want one for the moment with summer just around the corner..there is no way im spendin a summer flipping burgers in mcdonalds like a retard when i could be out havin a few cans and a laugh. maybe i might try for one after the summer if i feel up for it but with the country in a mess cos of the government there is a high chance i wont find one. then where does that leave me??

it is highly likely i will be still on the dole by xmas and then it will be like the goverment is twisting the knife in our backs by taking a way the bonus while everyone else gets to enjoy xmas. why should the poorest section of soceity suffer the most at xmas by losing the bonus, explain that to me?

Hey buddy never mind the rest of the posters im with you, you see the problem is people are taking it out on people on the dole when instead why dont they take it out on the bankers. Im off to spain for 2 weeks in july so why would i get a job before then, ive been saving 30 a week for it and i can tell you its not easy.
    And now im screwd for xmas, thats 204 euro i wont have, its hard enough been on the dole, but i always look forward to my xmas bonus when i can splash out a bit and enjoy a nice meal out and buy myself a new pair of shoes, now im screwed for xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

OK guys, you all need to calm down. Including when replying to the people who say they don't want to work. Actually, judging from some of your replies, especially then.

People who are saying they don't want to work, you're not helping as you're encouraging people to get annoyed. I'm watching you too.

I have warnings, infractions and bans available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

You have to be taking the p*ss...
    I'd probably be banned if I told you what I thought of you...
    The thousands of ppl who lost their jobs in the last year would give anything to get back to work, for what...
    to support your lifestyle of bleeding the country dry...
    Its the likes of you that have us in this position............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

I agree with you SierraOscar.
    We are a family with 4 kids who are currently on the dole. I went back to college last September to try to better our life in the future.
    I just can't understand how some people don't realise how hard it is to be on the dole and cope, especially at a time like xmas.
    How you put your post was with a little compassion and was not harsh, I commend you for that:)
    Of course we will manage but it's even harder when you have people using terms like spongers and lazy!!!!!!

not to sound cold or anything

someone quoted it takes 70,000-100,000 to raise a child to adulthood in this country, did you think about how you will afford to raise so many children (analogous to taking out a 400k mortgage) before making them?

once again sorry if this comes out the wrong way, and i do respect that you are getting more education, so it seems that you do have sense and plan for future, perhaps this could be a thread of its own or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

RonMexico wrote: »
    I work and can't afford to go out once a week, more like once every two weeks. Consider yourself lucky to be able to do that.

Ditto.

OK I admire your honesty. A few years ago I was unemployed for a bit and I saw the dole money I received as a refund of the tax I had previously paid.

But with your thoughts on the positive side of unemployment please do not slot yourself in with the poorest section of society. They are the people who have difficulty putting food on the table and might have unpaid ESB bills to their name. You sound like someone who wants to enjoy a student lifestyle. OK but don't plead poverty in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Hey buddy never mind the rest of the posters im with you, you see the problem is people are taking it out on people on the dole when instead why dont they take it out on the bankers. Im off to spain for 2 weeks in july so why would i get a job before then, ive been saving 30 a week for it and i can tell you its not easy.
    And now im screwd for xmas, thats 204 euro i wont have, its hard enough been on the dole, but i always look forward to my xmas bonus when i can splash out a bit and enjoy a nice meal out and buy myself a new pair of shoes, now im screwed for xmas.

If you 'always' look forward to your Christmas bonus, doesn't sound like you have any plans to look for a job! I'm a student, not getting a penny from the government, there's no way in hell I could afford a 2 week holiday in Spain, so really have very little sympathy for long term dole receivers losing their Christmas bonus. It will be hard on those with families who are genuinely looking for work though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

cutting the xmas bonus was a light cut,there was alot of working taxpayers who received little or no xmas bonus last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

I'm one of the under 20's who's seeing their dole cut by half and, while annoyed that I'm going to be losing that much money (By the way I'm meant to be saving for university, yes university, next year because I've to pay for the first year of a new course and finance that year... I'm not a scumbag waster who gets the dole and spends it on booze and fags) I have to say it was a good move by the government. The unemployment rate for 18 and 19 year olds is likely higher than for many other age groups so a 50% reduction in the amount spent on them probably translates to something like a 6% cut overall for dole spending..especially after the stealthy cut of the extra december payment is taken into account.
    There are a good few people from my old 6th year, and 3rd year, who are at present on the dole and have been getting 204 quid a week. Nearly all of them just drink and smoke their way through their dole, following in the footsteps of their fathers, so im quite happy to see these people lose that income; they are the fairest target to hit by a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭sub-x

What about the OAP's on state pensions that have nothing else ???

Advertisement