Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas bonus - gone!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

I don't get a Xmas bonus. Why should dole heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

The cost of living costs a hell of alot more in this country then in the UK or France i have family in both counties and Health & Education are far better than here ! Would you wait to see an ENT Consultant for over a year? Does not happen in France 6 weeks waiting max! No Xmas bonus means more people will be getting loans off High APR Loan companies and Furthering their Debt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

hellboy99 wrote: »
    You have to laugh/wonder what they think of us, the people of Ireland, sod the people on welfare that need this at Xmas but they won't lower/stop the money they give to overseas aid.

That's this coutry all over, look after everyone else, foreigners here and overseas and sod us Irish :mad:

Couldnt agree more +1

daveirl wrote: »

I know a hell of a lot more people on the dole since the whole bubble burst and they are not going on hoildays! They can barley scape 2 cent together! Let alone go on a holiday!

They are either **** or making fraudulent claims !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭joeystrider

I know a guy who is going to the philippines for a month. In the last few years he has visited every continent bar Antarctica.

He has been on the dole for approx 15 years and lives at home, rent and bill free.

This sadly brings out the most right wing sentiments in me. I work, pay rent and bills, attend college and don't get to travel like this.

Take a hit, Christmas is a luxury not a right. Get back to basics and buy thoughtful gifts and go easy on partying and decorations. It is hard and grey but must be done.

And people like the above ought to be stripped of their welfare.They are leeches on society and not unfortunates hit by the economic dowturn.

Anyway it is middle income earners with families who are being taxed most by this budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

highsider

You could be a dole head soon, like many of us on the brink of losing our jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

heard if you are on it for long enough that you can get holiday allowance,thats nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I know a guy who is going to the philippines for a month. In the last few years he has visited every continent bar Antarctica.

He has been on the dole for approx 15 years and lives at home, rent and bill free.

This sadly brings out the most right wing sentiments in me. I work, pay rent and bills, attend college and don't get to travel like this.
    I'm not surprised, it'd annoy me. But that's not necesssarily a fault in the system of social welfare or that we have social welfare or how much we give in social welfare, it's a fault in how the system rates this guy or that he gets it at all or how much he's given.

We can solve that by changing one or all of the three potential faults rather than by putting everyone else in the same basket based on this one guy. Yes, I know there are hundreds of them, probably thousands. Chase them all down. And that should always be done, even if it costs a bit more than the amount saved by just giving them the money. Because if it is done, society is fairer and we're all less likely to begrudge everyone on the dole the money they get based on the relative few people who shouldn't be getting it.

This thing the social welfare people are doing now, where suddenly it's important that they crack down on fraudulent claims, just makes it look like they weren't doing their jobs properly for the past decade because they decided there wasn't a problem as the country was awash with money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

hellboy99 wrote: »
    You have to laugh/wonder what they think of us, the people of Ireland, sod the people on welfare that need this at Xmas but they won't lower/stop the money they give to overseas aid.

That's this coutry all over, look after everyone else, foreigners here and overseas and sod us Irish :mad:

Whinge...whinge...whinge

I mean a bit of perspective wouldnt go a miss. It is not as if we are suffering from mass starvation or anything. We are becoming a nation of whingers. I mean Social Welfare was hardly touched and overseas aid was reduced.

• Advertisement

Take a hit, Christmas is a luxury not a right. Get back to basics and buy thoughtful gifts and go easy on partying and decorations. It is hard and grey but must be done.

And people like the above ought to be stripped of their welfare.They are leeches on society and not unfortunates hit by the economic dowturn.

Anyway it is middle income earners with families who are being taxed most by this budget.
    How did he not have a job in the last 15 years Any person could of got a job and how does he live at home rent free? When i lived at home i always gave up money to the old dear just as the rest of the family did and my kids provided they live in my house when they are older will be paying up towards bills ect!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

ionix5891 wrote: »

someone quoted it takes 70,000-100,000 to raise a child to adulthood in this country, did you think about how you will afford to raise so many children (analogous to taking out a 400k mortgage) before making them?

To be honest no I didn't think too much about it. I have to say though that I am happier to spend 300,000 grand raising these children than paying a 300,000 grand mortgage like many of our friends who now cannot afford to have children!!!!!!!
    They are the ones I really feel sorry for....
    They spend their whole week working to pay their mortgage on 4-5 bedroom homes which are destined to remain empty.
    We won't be on the dole forever, as soon as the economy picks up we will be back out to work, but we will be working for our kids and not for a pile of bricks.
    And before someone says it, no, we do not have a council flat or house.
    We were lucky enough to have got our own house 6 years ago in the country on third of an acre of land.
    It's not huge but it is sufficient.

At the end of our days I will be glad to see my 4 beautiful kids around me. I don't think my house or plasma screen or 4x4 will give me the same satisfaction!!!!!!
    And I know you weren't being cold so thanks:)
    But reading these posts have been an eye opener for me about how some people regard other people on the dole:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I'm all for helping people less fortunate, but we're in a bad enough mess as it is and that extra money that goes overseas could do a lot here. Like the saying goes "charity begins at home".

gcgirl wrote: »
    How did he not have a job in the last 15 years Any person could of got a job and how does he live at home rent free? When i lived at home i always gave up money to the old dear just as the rest of the family did and my kids provided they live in my house when they are older will be paying up towards bills ect!

I know... But he is your typical example of a lazy ass mummy's boy. Seriously he upsets me so badly.

sceptre wrote: »
    I'm not surprised, it'd annoy me. But that's not necesssarily a fault in the system of social welfare or that we have social welfare or how much we give in social welfare, it's a fault in how the system rates this guy or that he gets it at all or how much he's given.

We can solve that by changing one or all of the three potential faults rather than by putting everyone else in the same basket based on this one guy. Yes, I know there are hundreds of them, probably thousands. Chase them all down. And that should always be done, even if it costs a bit more than the amount saved by just giving them the money. Because if it is done, society is fairer and we're all less likely to begrudge everyone on the dole the money they get based on the relative few people who shouldn't be getting it.

There are many many people who are abusing the welfare system. They should be cracked down upon.

I believe the whole thing should be means tested so that those who need the welfare, and at the moment many do and will, get it.

And yes I agree the money should be spent on hunting those who abuse. It is a question of integrity and of deterrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Whinge...whinge...whinge

I mean a bit of perspective wouldnt go a miss. It is not as if we are suffering from mass starvation or anything. We are becoming a nation of whingers. I mean Social Welfare was hardly touched and overseas aid was reduced.
    I'm not whinging, I'm being realistic. I'm not saying stop it or lower it for good, just do it till we can get our own country straightened out first.
    Look if this government want to look at everything where they can save and get money quickly it's something to look at, they say they want fairness and for cutbacks across the board.

If you ask me too much money very quickly goes to overseass aids and charities, every month people knock on my door or leaflets through the letterbox and 90% of them are for non Irish related charities. We need to help ourselves first and when we do that and get this country of ours sorted out we will be in a far better position to help others in the long run.

Fred83 wrote: »
    heard if you are on it for long enough that you can get holiday allowance,thats nuts

Of course we need the hols allowance!!!!!
    How would I look driving around in my convertible that the govt. gave me an allowance for if I was pale:rolleyes:

Get a grip for crying out loud!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Chre59

Whenever I got a Christmas bonus, it was because of all the extra effort I put in on the run up to Christmas. Can someone tell me how one puts an extra effort in to their job when they are on the dole? Maybe get a bonus for getting a job and coming off the live register but there shouldn't be an extra payment for doing nothing.

I am in total agreement with reducing social welfare payments, social welfare should allow people to just make ends meet while they are temporarily out of work, it shouldn't allow for life's luxuries

As regards luxuries I do think that one must work to afford them. They are a bonus and reward for effort.

Again social welfare must be means tested.

I know... But he is your typical example of a lazy ass mummy's boy. Seriously he upsets me so badly.

There are many many people who are abusing the welfare system. They should be cracked down upon.

I believe the whole thing should be means tested so that those who need the welfare, and at the moment many do and will, get it.

And yes I agree the money should be spent on hunting those who abuse. It is a question of integrity and of deterrence.

Bloody Irish Mothers!!

Plus any one who would like to report anyone

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/ContactUs/Pages/reportfraud.aspx

Chre59 wrote: »

I am in total agreement with reducing social welfare payments, social welfare should allow people to just make ends meet while they are temporarily out of work, it shouldn't allow for life's luxuries

This is a fine suggestion but as you say for a temporary situation.
    This recession is not a temporary situation as far as I know.....
    Why not just take them into a field somewhere and put them all out of their misery and be done with it!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Bloody Irish Mothers!!

When I have children I refuse to fall into this bracket. I expect my children to fend for me in my golden years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭bobbiw

I know,
    It's hard enough at xmas but what the hell are we gonna do now?
    You want to check out the 2009 budget as it happens thread, there are people in there saying that the welfare payments should all have been reduced!!!!!!
    Honest to god, I don't get some people!!!!!!
    I'll tell you what's gonna happen.... more young suicides, there is already a huge increase in suicide rates and cutting the dole for under 20's will tip many over the edge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Society shouldnt pay anything to these people at all let alone a christmas bonus.

In many countries you are given 6 months and thats it, you have to find work. Thats the way it should be, people in Ireland seem to think that even without working they should be given the right to a home, a car, clothes and food!!

Nonsense,

Everyone on the dole should be forced to clean the streets when not looking for work.

I think its terrible that you could go to the pub and realise that you are buying half the place a free drink with your taxes.

When I have children I refuse to fall into this bracket. I expect my children to fend for me in my golden years...
    Just like myself !!

bobbiw wrote: »
    Society shouldnt pay anything to these people at all let alone a christmas bonus.

In many countries you are given 6 months and thats it, you have to find work. Thats the way it should be, people in Ireland seem to think that even without working they should be given the right to a home, a car, clothes and food!!

Nonsense,

Everyone on the dole should be forced to clean the streets when not looking for work.

I think its terrible that you could go to the pub and realise that you are buying half the place a free drink with your taxes.

I totally agree, I'd always prefer to work, even if I had to take a wage cut, a demotion, or got to the end of my career ladder. I couldn't sit at home and even if I chose to then I don't think I should get paid for it.

In many countries you are given 6 months and thats it, you have to find work. Thats the way it should be, people in Ireland seem to think that even without working they should be given the right to a home, a car, clothes and food!!.

The problem is that in the next few months many will find it hard to find work.

Those who continually strive to gain employment should be allowed dole as long as it takes. Those who do not should be penalized.

It is a question of means testing.

I think the question is not whether there should or should not be social welfare, rather who needs and deserves and how much is enough and how much is too much.

Nonsense,

The above scenario would be great if we weren't slap bang in the middle of a RECESSION.
    Would you really begrudge people food, seems a tad harsh to me!!!!!!

You seem to forget that "these people" are also part of society:cool:

Please excuse the cool smiley, my young son wanted me to put it in!!!

Chre59 wrote: »
    I totally agree, I'd always prefer to work, even if I had to take a wage cut, a demotion, or got to the end of my career ladder. I couldn't sit at home and even if I chose to then I don't think I should get paid for it.

What about the people who have been working their asses off for the last 15/16 years mid 30's now paid their taxes to the Government and cant find jobs? Yeh we dont owe them anything !! Thats rubbish!
    Are you living in a bubble ? A Lot of people are out of work due to people creating a false economy Which fell,The real people are not being brought to justice !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭bobbiw

The above scenario would be great if we weren't slap bang in the middle of a RECESSION.
    Would you really begrudge people food, seems a tad harsh to me!!!!!!

You seem to forget that "these people" are also part of society:cool:

Please excuse the cool smiley, my young son wanted me to put it in!!!

Well I know people who have always worked very hard and are now facing a job loss these people deserve to be supported.

I also know other people who have never worked and in some way think it is their right to the dole. They have no intention to work and have never looked. They have children and a house that other people have to work hard for.

So for the former they should be supported, for the latter person I think to be honest they should get nothing. They should be forced to live with relatives. Its too cruel to say that their kids should be taken away from them but they should be made to suffer.

Perhaps food stamps as a way to pay for food like in the US. This is very humiliating for people as its very obvious but thats the way it should be.

The problem is Ireland does have a lot of people on the dole who dont want to work. These people should be taken off the list and not paid anything.

At the very least they should be forced to do some sort of community services.

What about the people who have been working their asses off for the last 15/16 years mid 30's now paid their taxes to the Government and cant find jobs? Yeh we dont owe them anything !! Thats rubbish!
    Are you living in a bubble ? A Lot of people are out of work due to people creating a false economy Which fell,The real people are not being brought to justice !

+1

Yes social welfare is in place to help people like this and in times like this.

We cannot strip everyone of the right to live because the economy has gone to pot.

Also this would end up with people living in abject poverty, such as in the USA. Do we really want families out begging?

And it would be hard to come back from that poverty. No car to travel to interviews or trainings places...

Also it would be detrimental to economic stimulus.

• Advertisement

I am one of those people that worked my ass off for the last 17 years, but I was cautious in the good times saved up before I bought a house, was able to take out a 40% mortgage. I now have savings beyond my annual salary. I shouldn't and won't pay for people who were reckless.

So it's a good job I no longer live in Ireland.

Advertisement