Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas bonus - gone!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Couldn't be bothered reading the drivil some people posted, stopped after the second page...

thebman wrote: »
    Cost of living has dropped but standard welfare is at the same level.

So "they" say, yet a lot have not witnessed this...
    What i always found funny is you had to be on the dole 15 months to qualify for this christmas bonus

Just REWARD people for staying on the dole longer

This is tripe, where do you get your information. Stop getting it there. It is false.
    There's eight months between now and Christmas.

Do people expect to still be on the dole by then and if so, when do you think you'll be able to find work?

When I went on social welfare, I thought it would be for a month or two at most, 10 months later... it's a mess. It is possible for some to save while on social welfare, but for a lot of people that is impossible, they have children, bigger bills, mortgages etc etc...
    seamus wrote: »
    Here's what you do: Plan. Most of the rest of us don't get any kind of "bonus" at Christmas and yet we somehow find a way to work within our means and enjoy christmas.

Massive difference between a 204 euro bonus and a bonus in a job. It would be impossible for a lot of people to plan for the next 8 months, you will find people on social welfare living week by week, if they are lucky.

It is good that the bonus has been taken away, I would have expected social welfare being cut by 20-25 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

NTLsucks wrote: »
    did u ever think someone of us might'n t want a job? there is such thing as the right not to work in soceity you know. what are people who dont want a job supposed to do for xmas now that the bonus is gone?
    Yes of course there is...
    Its right there in between the right to free money and the right to kill people who annoy you. :rolleyes:
    Then you don't deserve a penny. Dole payments should be reduced by 15% for every year after the first 18 months.
    couldn't agree with you more
    ...there is no way im spendin a summer flipping burgers in mcdonalds like a retard when i could be out havin a few cans and a laugh...

it is highly likely i will be still on the dole by xmas and then it will be like the goverment is twisting the knife in our backs by taking a way the bonus while everyone else gets to enjoy xmas. why should the poorest section of soceity suffer the most at xmas by losing the bonus, explain that to me?
    People who are on the dole don't have the right to look down their noses at good hard honest money-making work. course you'll still be on the dole at xmas with an attitude like that. o and the "poorest section of soceity" can't exactly afford a few cans and the carefree lifestyle you claim to have. IMO troll
    ... the problem is people are taking it out on people on the dole when instead why dont they take it out on the bankers. Im off to spain for 2 weeks in july so why would i get a job before then, ive been saving 30 a week for it and i can tell you its not easy.
    And now im screwd for xmas, thats 204 euro i wont have, its hard enough been on the dole, but i always look forward to my xmas bonus when i can splash out a bit and enjoy a nice meal out and buy myself a new pair of shoes, now im screwed for xmas.
    I've been working as many hours as I could get since I was 15. And I've never been able to afford two weeks in Spain. I'll be lucky to see Tramore this year. Mybe said holiday is why you're screwed for xmas. You always look forward?? How long have you been on it?? And if you use this bonus to buy yourself a nice meal... it's clearly unnecessary.
    If you 'always' look forward to your Christmas bonus, doesn't sound like you have any plans to look for a job! I'm a student, not getting a penny from the government, there's no way in hell I could afford a 2 week holiday in Spain, so really have very little sympathy for long term dole receivers losing their Christmas bonus. It will be hard on those with families who are genuinely looking for work though.
    Very well said.
    Of course we need the hols allowance!!!!!
    How would I look driving around in my convertible that the govt. gave me an allowance for if I was pale:rolleyes:

Get a grip for crying out loud!!!!!!!!
    Brilliant. I applaud you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 NTLsucks

I know a guy who is going to the philippines for a month. In the last few years he has visited every continent bar Antarctica.

He has been on the dole for approx 15 years and lives at home, rent and bill free.

This sadly brings out the most right wing sentiments in me. I work, pay rent and bills, attend college and don't get to travel like this.

Take a hit, Christmas is a luxury not a right. Get back to basics and buy thoughtful gifts and go easy on partying and decorations. It is hard and grey but must be done.

And people like the above ought to be stripped of their welfare.They are leeches on society and not unfortunates hit by the economic dowturn.

Anyway it is middle income earners with families who are being taxed most by this budget.

look man, why are you coplaining about someone else, can you not mind your own business? just because you are feeling like a bit of a fool cos you are jealous of this guy having a holiday while you work like a chump theres no need to take it out on people who are far worse off than you.

anyway i think it could be time to lock this thread, i think the nonstop criticisms of the poorest members of soceity shouldnt be allowed. im done with this thread anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

bobbiw wrote: »
    Well I know people who have always worked very hard and are now facing a job loss these people deserve to be supported.

The problem is Ireland does have a lot of people on the dole who dont want to work. These people should be taken off the list and not paid anything.

At the very least they should be forced to do some sort of community services.

That I can understand.....
    I just hate to see all the people on the dole because of the recession getting sooo much stick:)

I've been working as many hours

Brilliant. I applaud you. ;)

Thank you!!
    It's incredibly hard to keep a sense of humour when the lynch mob is snapping at our heels:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

The majority of people on the dole at the moment would rather have a job,they have been paying their taxes over the years and through no fault of their own they are out of work with very little chance to find another one for a very long time,they dident ask for all this s**t to happen to them,If you have a job well done.Dont tar everyone who is jobless with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

As a retired man with spouse ..the christmas (extra week bonus) equates to
    roughly €7.20 per week. I have no problem with that... if it helps in getting the nation out of this mess.

I still refuse to buy the (Hearld) @ €1.20 it's a waste of money
    as is the Sunday Indo @€;2.50. Saving €9.70 a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭joeystrider

look man, why are you coplaining about someone else, can you not mind your own business? just because you are feeling like a bit of a fool cos you are jealous of this guy having a holiday while you work like a chump theres no need to take it out on people who are far worse off than you.

anyway i think it could be time to lock this thread, i think the nonstop criticisms of the poorest members of soceity shouldnt be allowed. im done with this thread anyway.

You are exactly the kind of person who sickens me. I read a few of your posts and you are clearly a leech.

I do have holidays and do have treats. I feel no loss there. I have travelled extensively, but on my own means.

You said you wouldn't like to work at McDonalds. I think they would turn their nose up at you. I mean, firstly, you are clearly not well educated on the basis of your spelling and punctuation. Not to mention your world views and morals. Also I doubt custmors or managers would appreciate your arrogance or laziness.

I think if you remain on the dole for a while and maintain this view of non-job searching, you should be stripped of your benefits.

If you believe it is a right not to work you should also take the consequences and enter the realms of poverty.

It must be horrid for people who wish to work, who end up taking the dole as a last resort and are thus bracketted with the likes of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

for god sake i didnt say i would never want a job..just dont want one for the moment with summer just around the corner..there is no way im spendin a summer flipping burgers in mcdonalds like a retard when i could be out havin a few cans and a laugh. maybe i might try for one after the summer if i feel up for it but with the country in a mess cos of the government there is a high chance i wont find one. then where does that leave me??

it is highly likely i will be still on the dole by xmas and then it will be like the goverment is twisting the knife in our backs by taking a way the bonus while everyone else gets to enjoy xmas. why should the poorest section of soceity suffer the most at xmas by losing the bonus, explain that to me?

Got to say, I found that funny. Thanks for the laugh :)
    I am one of those people that worked my ass off for the last 17 years, but I was cautious in the good times saved up before I bought a house, was able to take out a 40% mortgage. I now have savings beyond my annual salary. I shouldn't and won't pay for people who were reckless.

So it's a good job I no longer live in Ireland.

Happening on a much greater scale than the media like to talk about. Emigration of skilled and educated people is occuring at a significant rate. At the Financial Times says in a recent article.
    Ireland is running out of options as fast as its coffers are running dry. Tax receipts have plummeted and the budget deficit could hit 11 per cent of gross domestic product this year. Brussels has given it four years to bring it back within the eurozone's 3 per cent limit. But raising income tax in next month's emergency budget would only accelerate a growing exodus of talent. A European Union bail-out would help, but is not yet on the cards. I n the circumstances, therefore, Ireland's sale yesterday of €1bn of bonds in its first debt auction for four years was surprisingly successful. Both were oversubscribed.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/aff00c2a-18ea-11de-bec8-0000779fd2ac,Authorised=false.html?_i_location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F1%2Faff00c2a-18ea-11de-bec8-0000779fd2ac.html&_i_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ft.com%2Fsearch%3FsortBy%3Dgadatearticle%26queryText%3DIreland%2Bexodus%26aje%3Dtrue

In short, things are going straight back to the 1980s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

What has happened tp the people that brought down the banks?? Seanie and the rest of his cronies are playing golf somewhere nice and hot with their big pensions!! Giving loans to developers willy nilly!! If we were in the states they would be in Jail! IMO Anglo is Irelands answer to Enron !I'd say a lot of couples are near breaking point in their relationship because of the unemployment,Nobody wants to live a life barley breaking even!

• Advertisement

Personally i think this Whole country is CORRUPT!! Rotten from the inside out!

DJDC wrote: »
    Got to say, I found that funny. Thanks for the laugh :)

+1

funny lad:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If this was November or early December and you just heard the bonus you were relying on for Christmas was axed then it's understandable you might be upset.

It's April!
    You have eight months to get a job and it's pretty probable you'll get one, even if it's not what you hoped for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

for god sake i didnt say i would never want a job..just dont want one for the moment with summer just around the corner..there is no way im spendin a summer flipping burgers in mcdonalds like a retard when i could be out havin a few cans and a laugh. maybe i might try for one after the summer if i feel up for it but with the country in a mess cos of the government there is a high chance i wont find one. then where does that leave me??

:mad:If you are not perpared to work now,what chance is there that you will want to work by the time Christmas comes around,you want something for nothing and you give people on the dole a bad name.Me thinks you are trolling.:mad:

holly1 wrote: »
    :mad:If you are not perpared to work now,what chance is there that you will want to work by the time Christmas comes around,you want something for nothing and you give people on the dole a bad name.Me thinks you are trolling.:mad:

Dont say the T Word i got infracted saying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

mikemac wrote: »
    If this was November or early December and you just heard the bonus you were relying on for Christmas was axed then it's understandable you might be upset.

It's April!
    You have eight months to get a job and it's pretty probable you'll get one, even if it's not what you hoped for

I think that is a very significant point, far better to axe it now, with plenty of warning.

mikemac wrote: »

It's April!

Save up and get out of the country and then find a job cos they are not here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

holly1 wrote: »
    The majority of people on the dole at the moment would rather have a job,they have been paying their taxes over the years and through no fault of their own they are out of work with very little chance to find another one for a very long time,they dident ask for all this s**t to happen to them,If you have a job well done.Dont tar everyone who is jobless with the same brush.
    bang on holly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

I have read read every posting on this thread and wanted to add some facts about the dole.

International benchmark for full employment is considered 5%
    at the height of the boom our unemployment rate dropped to 4.3%
    in fact just to keep thriving industries going, ministers for enterprise had to go on recruiting drives around the globe to sustain enough workers for expanding companies.so much for the idea that Irish people in general prefer to sponge.5% benchmark is based on short term signing on and people who for whatever reason are unemployable.

The Christmas bonus was never paid to a dole recipient signing on for less than 15 months.

Holiday allowances were never paid.People signing on are allowed 12 days holidays per year,they receive no extra payment and it is not paid until they return from the holiday.

sadly I know of grandparents in their 80,s who used the christmas bonus to divide equally between their grandchildren as the only present they could give them each year.

Of course there are some spongers,before heavy fines were introduced on employers paying into the hand there were many more.It is good to see Ireland shifting away from corruption.

In My opinion it is not good to see Ireland becoming the 51st state of the U.S.A social welfare wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I think weekly social welfare should have been cut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

a lot of rubbish being written on both sides of this argument.

For me, it comes down to the fact that nobody (or possibly a very very small number) working in the public or private sector will get a bonus this Christmas so it is appropriate to look at the social welfare Christmas bonus. When most were getting a bonus, it was a good thing. When nobody else is getting a bonus, it is fair enough to take it away.

That would affect short term recipients as well as long term recipients...which really doesn't seem necessary, nor a good idea at this point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 alex2710

As someone who has been recently made unemployed through no fault of their own, I find the lack of compassion for people who are currently unemployed concerning. Not all of us are spongers and wasters. The vast majority of us are trying to find jobs and are not meeting with much success. The supplementary budget today is not going to provide the economic stimulus to help create jobs. This is really worrying.

Not a very helpfull contribrution!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

aare wrote: »
    That would affect short term recipients as well as long term recipients...which really doesn't seem necessary, nor a good idea at this point?
    They should cut Jobseekers allowance (not PRSI based). Should be €100 per week. Job seekers benefit (prsi based) should be left as is. Thus cutting long term dole but not short term. This is what i was expecting - it may well happen in December. Dole recipients are very lucky that its only the christmas bonus (bonus ie EXTRA) that has been cut. Public service workers for example have a 10% pay cut in the last 6 months between income levies and pension levies.

From one doler that is satisfied with the budget, and indeed thinks it is too lenient.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    They should cut Jobseekers allowance (not PRSI based). Should be €100 per week. Job seekers benefit (prsi based) should be left as is. Thus cutting long term dole but not short term. This is what i was expecting - it may well happen in December. Dole recipients are very lucky that its only the christmas bonus (bonus ie EXTRA) that has been cut. Public service workers for example have a 10% pay cut in the last 6 months between income levies and pension levies.

From one doler that is satisfied with the budget, and indeed thinks it is too lenient.

Thank you for sharing. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

what the hell...no xmas bonus!! that is not gonna go down well at all, hitting the poorest section of soceity again as usual. and rent allowance gone down too, there's goes my one night out a week if i have to spend more money on rent. this budget is a ****ing joke.

you get far to much on the dole for doing absolutely fu¢k all, so think yourself lucky your still getting your generous dole cheque each week!!

The poorest section of society, that is probably the poor ba$tards working on a minimum wage, or the struggling business man trying to keep his business going through these bad times, there the poorest section of society, not the dole bums!!

Imaging earning anything from 40,000 to 50,000 a year to getting 205euro a week!! Thats the reality !! You have Solicitors,Accountants ect trying to get jobs in a new McDonalds in Ennis a couple of month ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

*sigh*
    Reading this thread really hits home to me how disgustingly wasteful of our boom time wealth we were. Why oh why didnt the government manage it properly, why did they think those easy feckin revenues would last forever.
    People didnt realise or appreciate how damn good they had things during the boom years and now we all face a very depressing 3 or 4 years at least.

I think anybody out of a job at the minute faces a very tough time in the next 2 or 3 years. A job in Burger King or McDonalds is a very valuable thing at the minute, if I could get work in there I would be very happy.
    Another thing is, the government say that they're helping the unemployed by giving them access to "FAS courses" and the like; anybody who is unemployed will tell you they give you ALMOST NO increased prospects of obtaining employment nowadays. At the minute, the same could be said of many college courses. Jobs are precious at the minute, and I know that people working at the minute hate being told "at least you have a job" but the reality of the situation is that you ARE fortunate to be in a job, DESPITE the high taxes.

• Advertisement

Another thing is, the government say that they're helping the unemployed by giving them access to "FAS courses"

Ah yes, the *enhanced social welfare system* for the privileged few..."working for FAS"...

If that particular dungheap had been turned over properly ten years ago, our "unemployed" would be infinitely more employeable...they might even be more capable of creating employment.

Advertisement