Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas bonus - gone!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

brian cowan, and even charlie before him did alot more damage with their giveaway budgets than they know

the dole (especially when combined with rent allowance) is so close to minimum wage, that there is no incentive for people to go out to work, when they can get almost as much money (sometimes more if you factor in travel and other work related expense) sitting at home on their rear ends, and this is costing the exchequer up to €20,000 per person

cut the dole by 25 or 30 percent imo, then you'll have queues around the block of people looking for jobs in McDonalds and the likes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

brian cowan, and even charlie before him did alot more damage with their giveaway budgets than they know

the dole (especially when combined with rent allowance) is so close to minimum wage, that there is no incentive for people to go out to work, when they can get almost as much money (sometimes more if you factor in travel and other work related expense) sitting at home on their rear ends, and this is costing the exchequer up to €20,000 per person

cut the dole by 25 or 30 percent imo, then you'll have queues around the block of people looking for jobs in McDonalds and the likes

Thats if there were Jobs in Mcs to start with??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

Something I was thinking about; why does the government spend so much money on training schemes etc? I think people would much more appreciate it if the governemnt didnt spend that money and instead reduced some sort of corporation tax or something to increase the incentive for some companies or industries to set up here, providing direct employment. Retraining gives people ZERO oppurtunities when no jobs exist afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

There are some right nutters on this thread giving out about the poor people on the dole in this country, your time would be better served by giving out about the gangster bankers, auctioneers and other vested interests as well as tax exiles like Bono who escaps tax worth tens of millions every year, oh but no ye guys wont because these people wear suits and come from rich or middle class families, how pathetic time for most of the posters here to realise that the real villians here are the above people not social welfare people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

gcgirl wrote: »
    Thats if there were Jobs in Mcs to start with??

My point excactly!!

• Advertisement

The government should throw incentives to companies to have bases in ireland, We need to encourage growth and and jobs, Why do you think people are out of work?? LACK OF JOBs !!

I think we should join up with the UK then i would not have to go up north for my shopping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

No, you will just push hoards of people over the edge with desperation and have them, understandably enough, roaming around looking for "alternative solutions" that the rest of society might not like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

I think we should join up with the UK then i would not have to go up north for my shopping!!

Or perhaps we could let the UK have a little "free port" for example Finglas (LIDL, ALDI, TESCO AND a big posh shopping center with Dunnes in the middle)...save me a lot of driving too :D

There are some right nutters on this thread giving out about the poor people on the dole in this country, your time would be better served by giving out about the gangster bankers, auctioneers and other vested interests as well as tax exiles like Bono who escaps tax worth tens of millions every year, oh but no ye guys wont because these people wear suits and come from rich or middle class families, how pathetic time for most of the posters here to realise that the real villians here are the above people not social welfare people.

I'm sorry but myself and most other people here are as concerned about the bankers who took this country to the cleaners as you are, but that's not what this thread is about.

From reading your posts you are one of the people who has been defrauding the country for everything that you could. Take this wonderful post of yours from a few pages back.
    Hey buddy never mind the rest of the posters im with you, you see the problem is people are taking it out on people on the dole when instead why dont they take it out on the bankers. Im off to spain for 2 weeks in july so why would i get a job before then, ive been saving 30 a week for it and i can tell you its not easy.
    And now im screwd for xmas, thats 204 euro i wont have, its hard enough been on the dole, but i always look forward to my xmas bonus when i can splash out a bit and enjoy a nice meal out and buy myself a new pair of shoes, now im screwed for xmas.

From your post it's obvious that you have been on the dole for quite awhile and even when there was ample work for people you never looked for any. May I ask how long you have been on the dole? Myself and the majority of posters in this thread are not complaining about people on the dole, only those who has been abusing it for everything that they can get for as long as possible.

Come this summer what am I supposed to do, I've spent pretty much all my savings on my first year of college and in a few weeks time I will be all but broke with no prospect of sigining on the dole and getting my 204 euro a week plus my rent allowance. I may not be able to return to college as tbh I can't afford it. Why should I suffer while you continue to defraud the government?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

yes give out about money for nothing rather than trying to get out and doing something about it, it's tough when you feel that no one wants to give you a job, but it's easy to say it's always someone elses fault, pride is a rare gift we all have to do things we don't like, I've done a job I hate for the past 3 years, could of thrown my hands up in the air but it pays for our upkeep, yes it's hard but shut up and put the shoulder in, it's not easy for a lot of folks, you may not like what you have to do, but if nothing else you know it's something you've done at the end of the day. Sorry if it seems harsh but I've been there, and while you can give out about the government or the "people" that cost you your job for a while, it's up to YOU to move it forward not them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

NTLsucks wrote: »
    what the hell...no xmas bonus!! that is not gonna go down well at all, hitting the poorest section of soceity again as usual. and rent allowance gone down too, there's goes my one night out a week if i have to spend more money on rent. this budget is a ****ing joke.

boo hoo

i have 2 jobs and havent been out since january

if you cant afford to go out dont go out

live within your means and adjust your lifestyle to suit it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Helix wrote: »
    boo hoo

Do people still go out these days? I wouldn't know as I'm never out.

Hello Folks but this country has been
    hemorrhagen jobs of late !

hick wrote: »
    yes give out about money for nothing rather than trying to get out and doing something about it, it's tough when you feel that no one wants to give you a job, but it's easy to say it's always someone elses fault, pride is a rare gift we all have to do things we don't like, I've done a job I hate for the past 3 years, could of thrown my hands up in the air but it pays for our upkeep, yes it's hard but shut up and put the shoulder in, it's not easy for a lot of folks, you may not like what you have to do, but if nothing else you know it's something you've done at the end of the day. Sorry if it seems harsh but I've been there, and while you can give out about the government or the "people" that cost you your job for a while, it's up to YOU to move it forward not them.
    Helix wrote: »
    boo hoo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The government should throw incentives to companies to have bases in ireland, We need to encourage growth and and jobs, Why do you think people are out of work?? LACK OF JOBs !!

Well, thats what out low Corp tax did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

I was under the impression a bonus was a gift given to someone for work they have done.

If you're on the dole, what work have you done to deserve the bonus?

Ya can't really be complaining because 1 bonus payment out of the whole year has been taken away?

If you are just recently sacked and joined the dole, then what are you complaining about? You're complaining about something that you never had in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

yes but the jobs people like or want to have, it is possible to get a job in the interim that will tide you over, a close fired of mine has take up car boot sales and is making €300 a week, litterly picking stuff up and selling it on, just to make ends meet, yes it's not a fortune but it's paying bills, you can sit on your arse or do something about it, tell me I'm harsh if you want I don't care but having been there, I did something about it rather than wait for something to happen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Not a very helpfull contribrution!

Why not? The cost of living is falling by 4%, welfare could at least fall by that much and save millions in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I was under the impression a bonus was a gift given to someone for work they have done.
    That's not what the word "bonus" actually means.

Call it whatever you like, it was an extra payment at Christmas. Arguing that bonuses are only paid to people who earn them through industry is something of a semantic argument, and one that any common or garden dictionary wouldn't support.

Of course the discussion on whether the payment (whatever it's called) should be paid and whatever difference this will make to the country's budget or the individual budgets of people who were going to get it in the absence of today's changes is a discussion that's entirely valid to have. Try not to get bogged down in the semantics of the name.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,310 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The ironing is delicious. Doing your shopping up north is hardly encouraging growth now, is it?

If you're on the dole, what work have you done to deserve the bonus?

Ya can't really be complaining because 1 bonus payment out of the whole year has been taken away?

If you are just recently sacked and joined the dole, then what are you complaining about? You're complaining about something that you never had in the first place

Bonus payments are also made to those receiving a state pension. These are people who have done the work and helped build up this country over the years, so surely they deserve the bonus if that's the qualifying criterion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Cathy666 wrote: »
    Yes, reduce it. €204 is plenty, more than is deserved to be honest. Judging by your previous posts in this thread, you don't deserve to be receiving €204. Let's just recap on two of your earlier posts:

Who are you to say who deserves it and who doesn't. A lot of people NEED this to survive from day to day. How much are you on? Could you live on it? Not everyone has their mammys and daddys to look after them...

Why should my hard-earned tax money fund your drinking habits? Cop on! I have no sympathy for people like you. Apparently it's not a FF tactic, or did you miss the budget today where they didn't reduce the benefit, lucky for you.:rolleyes: If you're not working, you need to alter your lifestyle to suit your income. I work crazy hours every week while you're off in the pub. It's a tough life, isn't it. You either need to cop on or else get down from your high horse and get a job flipping burgers.

I do agree that some do not deserve to be on welfare, especially when they blatantly don't want to work, which is against the rules :) Nothing wrong with any kind of job at the moment, some of us would kill to flip a cheeseburger 20+ hours a week...
    Cathy666 wrote: »
    I work hard all year, I don't get a bonus at Christmas. So why should my taxes pay for people who spend their lives on the social welfare to get a Christmas bonus. Save up like the rest of us and quit whinging.
    Job Seekers Allowance welfare, as said earlier in this thread, should be reduced by a set amount for every year after the first 12 months, in my opinion. There have been people sitting on the dole, even in the height of the Celtic Tiger, with no intention of getting a job and guess what, they still have no intention of getting one now. These are the people who should be hit hardest. We have one of the most generous welfare systems in the EU, yet people are so self-centred that they still moan over a Christmas bonus, even though the country is going to ****. Save up and buy Christmas presents in advance or stop being so materialistic. Why should the Government and tax-payers, like me, pay for Christmas? That's ridiculous.

Sure is easy to save when you only earn 200 a week... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

While I agree that we do not need a bonus, the approach from the opposition in this argument is just ignorant. There is no need for the dirty digs.

How the hell can you pick out those who do not intend to get a job, there are more people on social welfare that want to get a job, I have only been on welfare recently, since the start of this mess. Why should I be penalised after working all them years...? Well?
    seamus wrote: »
    Just to clarify - rent has not been affected.

Landlords get less interest relief on rented properties but you can tell them where to stuff it if they try to raise your rent.

Bet they won't lower it though ;)

NTLsucks wrote: »
    did u ever think someone of us might'n t want a job? there is such thing as the right not to work in soceity you know. what are people who dont want a job supposed to do for xmas now that the bonus is gone?

If you do not want to work, then you are not entitled to anything. You have the right not to work, but you do not have the right to recieve any income for it.

Your argument is laughable... a complete joke. What are people supposed to do that don't want to work? Starve and die I guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Hello Folks but this country has been
    hemorrhagen jobs of late !

exactly, so why are people giving out about not being able to go out every week?

Zaph wrote: »
    The ironing is delicious. Doing your shopping up north is hardly encouraging growth now, is it?

As much as I agree that we should not shop up North and draw more money away from the economy, it is incredibly difficult to buy goods you cannot afford!!!!!!:)

The word "sacked" has such negative tones associated with it,
    It kinda implies the people who lost their jobs did so through a fault of their own.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Why not? The cost of living is falling by 4%, welfare could at least fall by that much and save millions in the process.

Well technically they have cut 1 weeks worth of payment in a 53 payment (52 weeks plus the christams extra week-bonus), 52 week calendar year, thats a cut of 1/53, or just under 2%

In fairness if you read my previous posts in this thread you will see that i agree wholheartedly with you - it should have gone back to pre-december 08 levels at the minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

really? so citizens information are lying to people so are they:rolleyes:

Must be, I got the christmas bonus and wasn't on the dole as long as you suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

These same people complaining about the removal of the bonus were probably the first with their pitchforks at the ready when they heard banks were still getting bonuses.

They shouldn't get one but ye should?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

A member of my family is on JB/JA and didnt recieve a christmas bonus for 2008? He got a double week then no week the next week (because his payments were due on a thursday) so he didnt get any bonus!?!

Also, I hear alot of people on the dole giving out about the christmas bonus being abolished......shouldnt these people be hoping to have some sort of a job by December or have they quit looking altogether??

Also, I actually agree with the dole being cut for under 20's. They shouldnt be on the dole at that age - they should be going to college or doing a course of some sort. I have seen under 20s in the town i live on the dole and just hanging about the streets all day - not looking for work. Sure why would they?? Get 204 per week handed to them no problem? Surely at 20 you havent got a bug mortgage or loans to pay and any minimum paid job should do??

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nedoo

Its a short term thing, the aim should be to have a job in 8 months time!!! Why should anyone get a bonus for doing nothing, I work 10 hour days and dont get one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

nedoo wrote: »
    Its a short term thing, the aim should be to have a job in 8 months time!!! Why should anyone get a bonus for doing nothing, I work 10 hour days and dont get one!

Exactly!!!!

Advertisement