Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cigarettes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Lenihan said 25% I think he meant 25 cent. He's not that thick I hope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

well when we rewound it on RTE with Sky+ it did say 25% but i am sure it will eventually get sorted out and the correct figure will be known.

Just looked now!! Now its says 25 cent *cries* my head is spininning!

He said 25%, his own documentation clearly states 25 C. He misread it, simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

meh thats not to bad. Woo can still smoke

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

If you want to save 100% then stop smoking. Will also save long term medical costs for the state.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

damoz wrote: »
    If you want to save 100% then stop smoking. Will also save long term medical costs for the state.

Meh no, revenue will fall in the shortfall making things worse. Woo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Gaillimh1990

well when we rewound it on RTE with Sky+ it did say 25% but i am sure it will eventually get sorted out and the correct figure will be known.

Just looked now!! Now its says 25 cent *cries* my head is spininning!

hi guys....

it sed on rte that he read it wrong it is 25cent instead of 25percent!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

how much 4 them in France?

com on lads help!Im off there tomorrow!!yeah now shagg off budget!
    I will be quitting when I come back
    *cough*!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭robgloster

He said 25%, his own documentation clearly states 25 C. He misread it, simple as.

Sad day when the Minister doesn't know what going on. But lately i suppose that kinda common :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Give it a rest will ya

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

After watching the Prime Time special on illegal cigarette sales, I'm surprised he put them up at all. Seems like they're available in every country town market and boot sale for a few quid a pack. The customs guy who was interviewed said the courts couldn't cope if they prosecuted everyone involved. So looks like the "dodgy fags from the back of a lorry" racket is not gonna end any time soon. I suppose that could be considered good or bad depending on your point of view.

Also is there a doublethink going on here. For example, Lenihan says he can't put up alcohol and petrol because of the real fear of people going cross-border to buy them. Yet the item with the potentially biggest savings for consumers when bought cross-border, he feels free to put extra tax on, that seems strange?

Also his logic does not make sense, who buys petrol up north any more? The savings are almost nil. While alcohol is cheaper there, it's at it's cheapest ever price in supermarkets in the Republic. Plus cigarettes are the most vulnerable of the three to cross-border purchasing; they're light, portable, take up very little space and have a very long shelf life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 TheKat

I love that the thread on cigarettes has one of the most replies in the forum already! I wonder did Lenihan misread it on purpose to give smokers a mini heart attack.

Give it a rest will ya

Ok. I'll throw in a tax break on Hypnotherapy. Happy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

A friend told me there going up to 10.12..
    We knew about it going up to 10 for a whiole though.

I really think it'll be 25%

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Let's keep this thread about the budget, k? There's a whole forum about quitting smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Ok. I'll throw in a tax break on Hypnotherapy. Happy?

Throw in a break from your high horse preaching and I'll be happy.

Throw in a break from your high horse preaching and I'll be happy.

Former smokers are the worst its true.

Back on topic - its 25c in the budget speech text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Give it a rest will ya
    damoz is right. Keep living in denial. :rolleyes:

Resi12 wrote: »
    A friend told me there going up to 10.12..
    We knew about it going up to 10 for a whiole though.

I really think it'll be 25%

Well its not - jeezz. Mods, can we have a sticky on the following?

Financial Statement

of the

Minister for Finance

Mr Brian Lenihan, T.D.

7 April 2009

Excise

From midnight tonight, excises on cigarettes will go up by 25 cent per packet of 20 and on auto-diesel by 5 cent per litre. These excise changes are VAT inclusive. There is no scope for increases in excise duties on alcohol or petrol because of the substantial risk of loss of revenue by the purchase of these items in Northern Ireland.

Full details of all of these and other taxation measures are contained in the Summary of Budget measures. The total tax and levies measures will raise €1.8 billion in 2009 and over €3.6 billion in a full year.

The measures I have outlined have necessarily concentrated on income. I am now giving notice that, in 2010 and 2011, I will turn to other areas of taxation to achieve the necessary adjustment in later years.

Summary of Supplementary Budget Measures - Policy Changes
    Tobacco Excise

The Excise Duty on a packet of 20 cigarettes will be increased by 25 cent (including VAT) with a pro-rata increase on other tobacco products, with effect from midnight on 7 April 2009.

Well its not - jeeze, do we have to repeat this over and over? Mods, can we have a sticky on the following?

Financial Statement

of the

Minister for Finance

Mr Brian Lenihan, T.D.

7 April 2009

Summary of Supplementary Budget Measures - Policy Changes

Oh well another what they did wrong to add to my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

25 cents that makes 20 rothmans around €8and 30cent i went to barcelona last week with ryan air return for €40 (myself and the wife) we bought some cigs the same brand rothmans are €2.80 for 20 . you have to buy them in the tobacco shops and these are closed on sunday in the duty free at gerona they were €3.36 for 20

• Advertisement

25 cents that makes 20 rothmans around €8and 30cent i went to barcelona last week with ryan air return for €40 (myself and the wife) we bought some cigs the same brand rothmans are €2.80 for 20 . you have to buy them in the tobacco shops and these are closed on sunday in the duty free at gerona they were €3.36 for 20

€8.30 is still too cheap imo. People complain they have no money yet still willingly buy these horrible things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    should have put them up by €5 a pack

Unless you condone criminal activity. It's very funny the people who say put the cigs up by a good few quid. 25% of the cigarette sales in this Country is in the black market, because of the high prices here. What part of this is it that some people cannot understand?

This Country is in economic turmoil, and people want the smokers to get another hammering. We have a lot more serious things to worry about, believe me. Give it a break..

€8.30 is still too cheap imo. People complain they have no money yet still willingly buy these horrible things.

The government dont want to raise them so much that people will go to the black market, that means a loss of revenue.

The government dont want to raise them so much that people will go to the black market, that means a loss of revenue.

Funnily enough, When they were raised from 6 euro to 8 everyone went foreign to get them but when they were supposedly going up to 10 euro EVERYONE I know said they were giving them up.

2 of my friends actually have but now that they are only 25c I think they'll slip back to smoking.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,098 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The'd make you wonder. If they caught all the people who are bringing in more than one from their holidays, taxed them at the airport, and given them a fine at the same time, they'd have a sizeable chunk in the kitty. Instead, they're letting people bring in thousands, and making it more lucrative for the *sellers* at the markets, (that was highlighted on Prime Time not so long ago.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

beertons wrote: »
    The'd make you wonder. If they caught all the people who are bringing in more than one from their holidays, taxed them at the airport, and given them a fine at the same time, they'd have a sizeable chunk in the kitty. Instead, they're letting people bring in thousands, and making it more lucrative for the *sellers* at the markets, (that was highlighted on Prime Time not so long ago.)

I take from the above you're not a smoker, from most EU countried I can legally bring in approx 800 cigarettes.
    From certain newer EU states it is just 200.

The difference between 800 in Ireland and 800 in Spain/Italy more than
    pays for a flight with a substantial saving still left.

And guess how much of the price of the 800 Italian cigs the Irish government will now get - regardless of the 25 cent per packet increase.

Funnily enough, When they were raised from 6 euro to 8 everyone went foreign to get them but when they were supposedly going up to 10 euro EVERYONE I know said they were giving them up.

2 of my friends actually have but now that they are only 25c I think they'll slip back to smoking.

Back then one in four cigarettes was not bought from the black market. They are way more accessible now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Goose81 wrote: »
    Just because you dont smoke doesnt give you the right to get up on your moral high horse.Its an addiction you clown.

By your username, I presume your 28 or less. So you’re the clown for smoking when even the dogs on the street knew it was ****e for your health. I’ve every sympathy for older people who smoke and didn’t know the risks. But if you’re only 28 and you're now crying ‘addiction’ when fags go up, you’re the clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 S12

How much are cigarettes in the north?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    should have put them up by €5 a pack

I've read a few people knocking this comment, and I don't think that's entirely fair. I agree, it's just another tax on a captive audience, and it is unfair to keep increasing this tax.

BUT, if it stops young people from starting to smoke in the first place, because it's so expensive, then maybe it'll have a long term benefit.
    Ok, so we get screwed, but I still wish I had never started smoking - do you?

Advertisement