Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cigarettes

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

mrmac wrote: »
    I've read a few people knocking this comment, and I don't think that's entirely fair. I agree, it's just another tax on a captive audience, and it is unfair to keep increasing this tax.

BUT, if it stops young people from starting to smoke in the first place, because it's so expensive, then maybe it'll have a long term benefit.
    Ok, so we get screwed, but I still wish I had never started smoking - do you?

But how will it help young people give up if it forces Joe Soap to the black market, increasing the strength and prevalence of the black market? They will just be more accessible to younger people than ever before. Its sort of a loose loose situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

But how will it help young people give up if it forces Joe Soap to the black market, increasing the strength and prevalence of the black market? They will just be more accessible to younger people than ever before. Its sort of a loose loose situation.

That's true. I made the point that it may deter some young people from starting in the first place. We all know of the health damage caused by smoking, but 100s start each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    By your username, I presume your 28 or less. So you’re the clown for smoking when even the dogs on the street knew it was ****e for your health. I’ve every sympathy for older people who smoke and didn’t know the risks. But if you’re only 28 and you're now crying ‘addiction’ when fags go up, you’re the clown.

I don't go whinging when i walk into a chiper in this country and see all the young obese people queuing up for their greasy bag of chips and double cheese bugers, because it's simply none of my business.

A 'clown' for smoking is just a silly, stupid comment. Would you consider Barack Obama a 'clown'?

I'm sorry, but these preachers just get on my nerves, especially in times like these. I'd love to give up myself, but could never stand self-righteous know-it-alls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If you can excuse the pun, the increase in tobacco prices is nothing but
    a load of smoke to distract people from the real hammering we are getting
    elsewhere.

Take a smoker on 20 a day, 0.25 X 365 = €91.25 extra tax a year.

This is tiny in comparison to the increase in health and tax levies
    as illustrated here

I'm more annoyed by the extra €4k+ they're ripping out of my salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

If you can excuse the pun, the increase in tobacco prices is nothing but
    a load of smoke to distract people from the real hammering we are getting
    elsewhere.

Take a smoker on 20 a day, 0.25 X 365 = €91.25 extra tax a year.

This is tiny in comparison to the increase in health and tax levies
    as illustrated here

I'm more annoyed by the extra €4k+ they're ripping out of my salary.

You're spot on there. I thought it was a 25% increase and thats why I started viewing this thread, but all the those usual posters saying 'put em up by €5 a box' and the like just gets a bit boring after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Goose81

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    By your username, I presume your 28 or less. So you’re the clown for smoking when even the dogs on the street knew it was ****e for your health. I’ve every sympathy for older people who smoke and didn’t know the risks. But if you’re only 28 and you're now crying ‘addiction’ when fags go up, you’re the clown.

I am 21.I first started smoking when I was 14 because I thought it was cool,as most idiots that age do.
    I am not condoning smoking and it is a filthy habit and I wish I could stop.I cannot stop,I have tried everything.I dont know if you are aware but smoking is more addictive than heroin.

Someone else went on about the health service having to pay for me when I am sick.
    I pay for private health insurance,I have never claimed anything form the government.I dont smoke in the presence of people who dont smoke,so why the hell should I be persecuted when I am only doing harm to myself.

Its Rich coming from people like you who I imagine dont smoke to call me a clown because I smoke.I started when I was 14,so yes I was a clown that doesnt help me now though.

Its not even as if the extra money will benefit you,you just came on here to walk the moral highground and annoy the smokers.If you dont smoke you shouldnt be in this thread,it contains nothing of concern to you.You and others came in here to wind people up and nothing else.

mrmac wrote: »
    That's true. I made the point that it may deter some young people from starting in the first place. We all know of the health damage caused by smoking, but 100s start each year.

If the government were serious about stopping smoking they would make them a prescription only product available from the chemist and charge less tax on them.This would stop future generations from taking up smoking.
    But all they care about is the money,so it doesnt suit them.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ENOUGH with the personal tit-for-tat. Any more handbaggery will lead to bans - no more warnings, no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

A freind of mine was in Spain, 6 packs of smokes for €20!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know someone in Turkey atm, gonna text him for another 6 or more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

Originally Posted by nerraw1111 viewpost.gif

thats a mith that people didnt think smoking was bad for you...........

putting smoke into your lungs?????its a blatant excuse, just cause the tabacco companies didnt advertise that smoking kills then, dosent mean no 1 new................ i mean they werent living in the stone age!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

S12 wrote: »
    How much are cigarettes in the north?

£5.62 for 20 in the UK so I assume the same up North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Resi12 wrote: »
    €8.30 is still too cheap imo. People complain they have no money yet still willingly buy these horrible things.

jesus i hope your favourite hobby is never taxed try telling my 75 year mother who smoked all her life that she should give up that horrible habit .smoking is an addiction so how about less of the no sympathy sh1t

Advertisement