Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They wanted it 'Tough, but Fair'

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

mumof2 wrote: »
    And this is looking at it from a mans point of view??:rolleyes:

Not really, just looking at it fairly, I'd say the exact same thing if it was men who could fall pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

It failed to address the problem.

Public spendings is still out of control as it has been for many years.
    A large part of the tax raised by the state of the last 10 years came for borrowing large amount of money for housing and cars. This tax boast was not going to continue in the long term, but the state treated this short term tax boost as long term tax base.

The solution they want is for people to start borrowing large amounts of money again.
    Borrowing large amounts of money is what got us in trouble in the first place.
    I think we should replace the borrow and spend culture with a savings culture.
    With the increase in dirt tax to 25% it seems the government do not care if people save.

Most of the spending cuts have been postponed , probably in the hope the Obama stimulus package works and will help the world economy to recover.

As to fairness, that seems to become a code word of somebody else other than me should pay for this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    Not really, just looking at it fairly, I'd say the exact same thing if it was men who could fall pregnant.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Belfast wrote: »
    It failed to address the problem.

Public spendings is still out of control as it has been for many years.
    A large part of the tax raised by the state of the last 10 years came for borrowing large amount of money for housing and cars. This tax boast was not going to continue in the long term, but the state treated this short term tax boost as long term tax base.

The solution they want is for people to start borrowing large amounts of money again.
    Borrowing large amounts of money is what got us in trouble in the first place.
    I think we should replace the borrow and spend culture with a savings culture.
    With the increase in dirt tax to 25% it seems the government do not care if people save.

Most of the spending cuts have been postponed , probably in the hope the Obama stimulus package works and will help the world economy to recover.

As to fairness, that seems to become a code word of somebody else other than me should pay for this mess.

My own opinion is that the govt wanted to achieve one objective and that was to get the public finances under control, by all acconts they will achieve this however nothing in this budget to actually kick start the economy and try and bring us out of recession. While you are indeed correct that we borrowed too much, saving is not going to do anything for the economy,why have the ECB, BOE and the US been reducing interest rates? people will be saving now and won't spend for the remainder of the year for one reason and that is fear of what will come in the budget in December. So the govt will be getting in less revenue and they will continue to raise taxes which will do nothing for growth.
    From what has been said the US should start to see signs of growth later this year, early next year and as you say the govt are counting on this as we will get some benefit from this, but only a small amount,the govt shoul have done more in this budget for business and had some sort of stimulus plan,lets hope they do in December otherwise when things do possibly pick up next year we will see little benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Can i do something really dangerous here and try to give some defence to the public service workers.
    I am a Nursing Intern in a large Dublin Hospital. I work full time in medical and surgical wards. I work 13 hour shifts, most of which i spend on my feet running left and right trying to give my 8 or 12 patients the best care I can from making sure they are ready for their operations, to listening to their anxieties, to aiding them to use the toilet, washing them each day, feeding them their meals, giving them medications, monitoring their vital signs and many other essential aspects of daily living. I have never gotten a tea break or a lunch break at the time I am due to go for one, I often wait, or forget to use the toilet myself for long periods of time because I am just so busy. I go home with blisters on my feet and aching legs and my head swimming with information trying to assure myself that i managed to achieve all the tasks I had to do today. I earn approximately 1750 euro a month after PAYE, from last month I have been deducted even more due to the Public Sector Pensions Levy and the new income levy increase. I could quite happily survive on a dole payment, a medical card, and rent supplement but I choose to work. And I work hard. I deserve the money I get, and I think i'm worth more than that too. I will have to work in the public service for 40 years to qualify for a pension, and to be honest I can't even begin to entertain the idea of working for the HSE for 10 years, let alone 40. I am paying a huge chunk of my monthly salary to subsidise greedy bankers, stupid politicians and unemployed people who are claiming the dole. I really do feel sorry for people who have been hit hard by the recession, but I didn't cause this problem. I do not have an artificially inflated salary. I am not paid more than I am worth.
    So tell me why I should pay any amount of my hard earned cash towards a problem I personally did not help to create. I already pay income tax. Why should I be sorry for being a public sector worker. There was nothing stopping anyone applying for a public sector job.

Personally I feel that no human being working a standard 35-40 hour week is worth more than 100-150k a year. In fairness thats 2-3k a week. They should cap everyone in the country from receiving any more than 100k a year, and take the rest as tax. Salarys of 300/400/500/600k a year are just laughable. What would you do with that amount of money. What work could you possibily be doing to justify that kind of salary. Start at the top. And then work down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

while your work is very important, it is not particularly hard to do in the grand scheme of things, a high (relatively) percentage of the population could choose to be a nurse and succeed at it.
    limiting salary will mean that all those rich enough will leave the country. Also, once someone reaches the pay limit, they may as well stop working for the rest of the year and go on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

We'll know when its fair, because the public unions will be out on the streets until that happens this country is going into a deeper and deeper recession

Advertisement