Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simple Digital Camera for an older lady

• 07-04-2009 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

My mother is looking to buy a digital camera for her holidays coming up soon. She's in her 60's, and isn't very technologically-savvy (if thats a word!)

It would have to be relatively easy to use, preferably with a large screen to view photos, and not too expensive as I can't see it being used very often, so no point spending a lot...

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Lidl have a Fuji P&S on special at the moment, which looks as if it should fit the bill, hard to do much better at €99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Thanks nilhg.

We ended up going out lastnight and got this in Power City. It was €129 and comes with a free 1GB memory card...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Wouldn't have thought any local retailer could match online sellers but that camera is STG 119 on Jessops so it was a good buy.

Set the resolution down to about 2048 x 1536 so that the 1GB card doesn't fill up too soon, that resolution is usually good enough for screen slideshows or Internet sharing when you come home though if you plan any large prints you'd need to use a higher resolution.

coylemj wrote: »
    Wouldn't have thought any local retailer could match online sellers but that camera is STG 119 on Jessops so it was a good buy.

Set the resolution down to about 2048 x 1536 so that the 1GB card doesn't fill up too soon, that resolution is usually good enough for screen slideshows or Internet sharing when you come home though if you plan any large prints you'd need to use a higher resolution.

Yeah I thought it was a good deal myself. I think Power City had it reduced from €149 or €169 or something along those lines. Also, they're giving away free memory cards with all their cameras by the looks of it.

Yeah, I'll change the resolution and set everything to 'Auto' so she just has to switch it on and snap away!

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

coylemj wrote: »

I wouldnt advise interfering with the resolution. Should always keep the camera at best quality and highest resolution as you cant get back afterwards something that was lost when you took the picture. Just regularly clear the card down.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt advise interfering with the resolution. Should always keep the camera at best quality and highest resolution as you cant get back afterwards something that was lost when you took the picture. Just regularly clear the card down.

I was mindful of the OP which stated that this lady is in her 60s and is not technically savvy so I think it's safe to assume she won't be bringing a laptop with her on holidays so continuously cleaning out the card will not be an option.

Horses for courses and all that.

Thanks for the info. I won't set the resolution too low. But its just for my folks to take some holiday snaps! I doubt they'd need the absolute best quality. Don't they take up more space & take more time to upload to your PC when the resolution is set to the highest?

Thanks for the info. I won't set the resolution too low. But its just for my folks to take some holiday snaps! I doubt they'd need the absolute best quality. Don't they take up more space & take more time to upload to your PC when the resolution is set to the highest?

Yes they do and if you try to send a 10Mp photo to a friend via e-mail they won't be best pleased because the file will take ages to download and the e-mail client will either shrink the photo to fit the screen in which cases there will be lots of jagged lines or it will only show a tiny corner of the shot and you'll have to scroll all over the place to see the details.

For holiday snaps 2048 x 1536 is in my opinion a good compromise between file size (doesn't fill up the card too soon) and preserving adequate detail. For sure if this was a wedding I'd say shove a 4GB card in and go 10Mp all the way but for holidays 2Mp is fine.

Advertisement