Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Suppliment!!

Options
  • 07-04-2009 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I cant believe they are putting rent suppliment down, as richard dower said on another thread, My rent has not gone down either and dont think it will do, and xmas bonus, is this a joke? Life is hard enough as it is with no jobs and food prices high, grrr i feel like i want to smash my tele in!
    Rents have nor gone down for me and many i know, cost of living has not been enough to keep pace with the costs of goods and staples. It's easy for those working to say....don't celebrate Xmas, which i think is very unfair to those with small children, the dole is hard enough at Xmas without this extra burden.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

A sinle person on rent allowance is means tested, and they DO check you live at your home and they also sent rent review forms every four months....thus no fraud rubbish please. A single person also has to remian within a rent cap, €85 a week.....BUT, you then have to pay a supplement to this, as in money taken FROM your dole....it went up by €5 in the last budget....so how much this time?

€85 cap and you pay €13, and now a further reduction????

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Rents have gone down across the country, maybe you should try to renegotiate your rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Just so i get this straight, rent allowance has been lowered by how much? My OH is fairly dependant on that?

Are you serious????....a rent reduction in the current climate???????, if anything landlords are putting prices up!, where are these rent reductions people speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mandandpeter

Are you serious????....a rent reduction in the current climate???????, if anything landlords are putting prices up!, where are these rent reductions people speak of?

I agree!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Rental Suppliment will go down inline with reduction in Rents, if you haven't got a reduction then move cheaper location, Rent HAS gone down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

They're... everywhere? Our landlord just reduced ours from 2000 to 1800 and we're still moving cos we can get a better deal... latest figures say rents are down around 12%.

RedXIV wrote: »
    Just so i get this straight, rent allowance has been lowered by how much? My OH is fairly dependant on that?

They haven't given exact figures :rolleyes:
    It varies for each HSE catchment area, as in rent allowance is higher in Dublin then say Limerick. I think €5-8 myself.

http://www.daft.ie/news/2009/daft-rental-report-q4-2008.daft

Rents are falling massively, as more and more mortgage holders need to rent out part of their house to pay their debts.
    Rents have plummetted across Ireland.

where are these rent reductions people speak of?

I can't find anything refering to them on the websites?

from the finance one:

"Changes to rent supplement eligibility and payment regime."

that seems more about WHO gets it as opposed to how much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

http://www.daft.ie/news/2009/daft-rental-report-q4-2008.daft

Rents are falling massively, as more and more mortgage holders need to rent out part of their house to pay their debts.
    Rents have plummetted across Ireland.

Was just about to go dig that out, thanks :)

(am out of actual thanks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

If your landlord won't give you a rent reduction, move. They're dropping faster than Cowen's pants...

They haven't given exact figures :rolleyes:
    It varies for each HSE catchment area, as in rent allowance is higher in Dublin then say Limerick. I think €5-8 myself.

So we're not talking significant drops?

I can tell my girlfriend she's not gonna lose 100s of her Rent allowance?

The rents are going down on the HIGHER end, as in rents for lush apartments, not the crap stock and dire conditions that those on rent allowance are able to get. The bottom line, rent allowance has a CAP, you can only get a place within a specific price bracket....if you go over they wont give you rent allowance!

The rents YOU guys are talking about are those for PRIVATE rented accomodation, pads for people with JOBS....not the housing and aparment stock the majority of rent supplement people live in.

As such the landlords I am talking about are NOT reducing rent, they know they caps and will not budge one cent!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I agree, the places that are rent allowance are awful. When I was going on it I couldn't even find somewhere in the price range, eventually found one on a hot sunny day, inside was freezing, there was a hole in the roof and it was only really one room with a bathroom attached.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

RTÉ just reported that rent supplement will be reduced by a sixth per annum, don't know if that is the case or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

The whole rent supplement arrangement is a joke. A friend of mine is desperate to go out and get a job just to keep her sanity and a bit of time away from the kids. She also wants to have a bit of dignity by paying her own way. Unfortunately the way the system works she is worse off if she goes out to work. She has to pay childcare and after the first 75 euro she earns the rest gets reduced from her rent supplement. This means in order for her to get a job she needs to wait until the council supply her with housing. Surely reducing her rent supplement by 50% of what she earns would be a better idea? It would mean single parents can afford childcare and go out and earn money and hopefully the will eventually be self sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

foxy06 wrote: »
    The whole rent supplement arrangement is a joke.......the way the system works she is worse off if she goes out to work....Surely reducing her rent supplement by 50% of what she earns would be a better idea? It would mean single parents can afford childcare and go out and earn money and hopefully the will eventually be self sufficient?

Hello foxy, what do you think this government are? Sensible. :eek:

Nothing they do makes any sense. Even a single person on dole and rent allowance has a tiny tiny incentive to go working for minimum wage when they've paid their taxes & expenses. And as well as not decreasing SW payments, they increase taxes!! which means the difference will be even less now! Like seriously, how can they say that this makes sense? They should be encouraging ppl to go out and work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 anntionette

Not all Rents are going down. In my expereience only those at the higher end are reducing. I know friends renting houses in the 1800 - 2000 p/m bracket getting their landlords to reduce rent quite a bit. But equally know people on rents of 1400 and below who aren't getting reductions even with asking and threatening to move but its worth chancing your arm, if your landlord can then they surely will if they want to keep a good tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 NTLsucks

Not all Rents are going down. In my expereience only those at the higher end are reducing. I know friends renting houses in the 1800 - 2000 p/m bracket getting their landlords to reduce rent quite a bit. But equally know people on rents of 1400 and below who aren't getting reductions even with asking and threatening to move but its worth chancing your arm, if your landlord can then they surely will if they want to keep a good tenant.

oh no the rich lawyers and doctors paying 2K rent arent getting any reductions, lets all say a prayer for them in this tough times.

NTLsucks wrote: »
    oh no the rich lawyers and doctors paying 2K rent arent getting any reductions, lets all say a prayer for them in this tough times.
    You didn't even bother to read that did you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭bobbiw

I dont think it went far enough. They should have hit social welfare a lot harder. Looked at the long term unemployed and where they lived etc (with parents?)

It was good to hit the under 20s with a 50% cut, they should have hit under 25s.

It certainly should be based on how long you worked, profession etc.

So people who worked for years and are on hard times should have been helped a lot more. Those who just dont work should have had all their benefits withdrawn.

bobbiw wrote: »
    It certainly should be based on how long you worked, profession etc.

So people who worked for years and are on hard times should have been helped a lot more. Those who just dont work should have had all their benefits withdrawn.

What about those people that spent 3/4 years in college only to come out of it to this? It's harder for them to get a job because they have no experience and now there are more people with x amount of years experience looking for the same jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

the rent supplement keeps rents artificially high

landlords know the government thresholds for the supplement and so can keep their rents at a certain level

who mainly own the rented accommodation? mainly the professional classes - doctors medical profession, lawyers, guards, prison officers, TDs, well paid civil servants

along with people who style themselves as builders/developers

Orla K wrote: »
    What about those people that spent 3/4 years in college only to come out of it to this? It's harder for them to get a job because they have no experience and now there are more people with x amount of years experience looking for the same jobs.

Its called life, for some reason the IRish think they are entitled to everything.

There should be no dole after 6 months. And everything should be means tested.

I don't think that people should be separated like that, if you worked x amount of years in any job your entitled to more help than someone just out of college who thought they would be able to get a good job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Its called life, for some reason the IRish think they are entitled to everything.

There should be no dole after 6 months. And everything should be means tested.

Mary Harney on boards!! lol
    If i had just got out of College i'd get out of Ireland as soon as i could!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

The rent supplement didn't refect market changes. The only rents not being reduced were those where the landlord knew the tenant was on rental supplement.

Landlords will have to react to this change and reduce their rents in those situations. Otherwise they will lose tenants to those who are prepared to reduce rents, and there are plenty of those out there in the current climate.

• Advertisement

gcgirl wrote: »
    Mary Harney on boards!! lol
    If i had just got out of College i'd get out of Ireland as soon as i could!!

And where would you go, most people cant speak another language so mainland europe is out. America is out as you need a working visa and they are not giving them out. UK possibly but they are in a similar situation. Austrailia is probobly the only option.

Advertisement