Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now it's over, where did they go wrong and right?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭deanodrummer

It's a bit easy to say we should cut the dole. Is anybody here on the dole? I am and it's brutal man. I'm a qualified brickie and musician and cant find work. I'm not lazy either it's a pain in the hole.

Sorry I went off topic anyways. Putting ciggies up was a good idea. Obvious though. The levy was essential but the root of the problem is that the money we did have wasn't spent correctly and yet again Joe Soap pays for it. Tne richer get richer my friends.

Politicians in this country are a disgace. Most of them are so far removed from the reality of the working class that they can't even see how imcompetant and greedy they are. They earn far too much and have failed to lead by example. For years the Irish people generally didn't care because we had a few quid but they have been robbing us and making costly mistakes for too long. The money we squandered in the first place is sickening.

Politicians need a pay cut. No unnecessary expenses.
    The levy could afford to raise slightly for the wealthy.
    Artists could afford to be taxed.
    Horse breeders in this country pay zero tax and should pay like the rest of us.

I'm not extremely political so excuse me if I'm mistaken in anyway but I'm just conveying my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

eoinbn wrote: »
    A VAT cut would of done nothing. The 2.5% cut in britain has been viewed as an error that has done nothing but reduce the tax take. People would still of gone north, especially when you consider that many foods are taxed at a lower rate, or even at 0% for core foods.
    hellboy99 wrote: »
    I'll tell you where they went wrong, letting this clown of a minister come up with another farce of a budget :mad:

A few weeks back he went on TV saying that his previous increase on VAT was a mistake, and now today he does not lower VAT which in my opinion is badly needed to stimulate the economy and get people back here spending.

I'm sick of this government and it's about time a general election was called for.

This isn't 2001 and Bush telling Americans to spend, spend, spend. We need long term sustainable measures, not short termism. As eoinbn pointed out, it didn't work for Brown. People are to smart now to be duped by a couple of percent of VAT to start spending. Most people have either lost jobs, had hours cut or are in fear of losing their jobs, 2.5% less VAT doesn't change that. They are more concerned about their long term future, not shopping!
    nesf wrote: »
    Overall, tax hikes were the wrong option. We need to cut spending, especially on payroll costs.

I'm sympathetic to Richard Bruton's emphasis on the need for reform of spending.

I'd agree, wish he'd actually explain these reforms in detail, especially as he'll probably be in Govt. with Labour.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

I think you miss the point. If your VAT rate is higher than the UK and our retail prices are high too it encourages people to buy from the UK and other countries instead of Ireland i.e. the govt. actually loses revenue because of less VAT receipts coming in rather than gaining. It also hits consumer spending and therefore affects jobs and investment and in turn income revenue and other excise revenues go down.

Why is this government still in power, it's like 'tax anybody that is not a 'special voting' group e.g. private workers while ignoring public workers and social welfare recipients'. Meanwhile they pay themselves higher salaries than the German Chancellor or the American President!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

maninasia wrote: »
    I think you miss the point. If your VAT rate is higher than the UK and our retail prices are high too it encourages people to buy from the UK and other countries instead of Ireland i.e. the govt. actually loses revenue because of less VAT receipts coming in rather than gaining. It also hits consumer spending and therefore affects jobs and investment and in turn income revenue and other excise revenues go down.

Why is this government still in power, it's like 'tax anybody that is not a 'special voting' group e.g. private workers while ignoring public workers and social welfare recipients'. Meanwhile they pay themselves higher salaries than the German Chancellor or the American President!

I think there was a Revenue report on it, the figures they think they lost was quite small.

2.5% VAT isn't the problem, Sterling near parity, higher shop rents, higher minimum wage, higher SW rates, higher business rates etc. are.

I do think VAT needs to be reduced in the long term, but not as a short term measure that really with such a bad recession and with the majority of people having less money anyway, isn't going to work.

Confidence in getting out of this mess is more important now.

PS. Sorry, it worked in NI because of the exchange rate, it has not worked in the UK.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

€90 billion on dodgy loans and mortgages. That works out at about €20,000 per man, woman and child. And how much of this debt will ever be recovered? We can be sure that the bankers will be sloshing back the champagne well into the night. Now, they have a license to hand over their worst, riskiest loans to the Government. Do we think these loans consist merely of the mortgages of people who have fallen behind on a couple of payments. Not at all. The banks will tighten their grip on any of their debtors with a decent chance of repayments. We will discover that these loans are indeed 'toxic', and will only ever recoop a small fraction of the €90 billion. this was such a nice carte blanche to the bankers. These people made some of the stupidest risky decisions, and they are getting away scott-free.
    By rewarding such greed and incompetence, we have not tackled the problem of Irish banking. Aswell as crippling the Irish people with this debt, it has set a dangerous precedent for future bank bailouts. HAVE THE BANKERS LEARNT A LESSON? You betcha! "go for the risky option, if it works out, big commisions and bonuses, if not we'll get another bailout. Nothing to lose."
    This Government makes me sick. I'm ashamed to be Irish.

+1

This government have a neck like a jockeys bollix.
    The bankers have got away with it and saddled everyone with debt.

Why do we put up with this bull? Perhaps working people dont have time or energy to fight really.

So you are a banker who bankrupted the country? Here have a bonus.
    So you are in government and you mismanaged a boom? Here you keep your huge wage.

How can the government get away with not slashing their own wages / perks? We are paying to keep the fat cat a holes in power.

They have to go. Please god we can get some economic geniuses in there ASAP or god help us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

K-9 wrote: »
    I do think VAT needs to be reduced in the long term, but not as a short term measure that really with such a bad recession and with the majority of people having less money anyway, isn't going to work.

Confidence in getting out of this mess is more important now.

True it would have made little difference but I still think it is a measure that they should have taken, as it is people will continue to shop in the North but a reduction may have reduced the price difference somewhat, they chose not to raise the price on alcohol and petrol for this very reason,their is absolutely nothing in this budget that offers any stimulation which is the really worrying thing, only uncertainty that will linger until December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 NewSteelSplash

All the new taxes added in this budget were hard but it could have been worse.
    They failed big time with the cut backs on expenditure. The dole should be cut to at least €160 per week and more new jobs created in the social welfare office for fraud inspectors.
    We need to send out the message that Ireland Inc is no longer a soft touch for Welfare, we need to make it so that working is more appealing than sitting around scrounging off the People of Ireland.

The average cost of keeping a prisoner in Ireland is more than €200,000 per year. How can we justify that in such hard times.
    I would reform the Prison system to cost alot less. Prisons should make money considering that they hold criminals that have taken away from society. Put them in tents on an island with bread and water and no luxuries.

The Government gave our Natural gas resourses to Shell, I say take them Back in the national interest or at least substantially Tax the Profits they make.

All the new taxes added in this budget were hard but it could have been worse.

They couldn't have done a whole lot more mid year, wait until December.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

I watched Prime Time and what interested me was when asked about the income cuts in taxation for a family on low income and how they would suffer because of this. The reply was that people who are earning more will pay more.

I was thinking that, isn't that ok for those on higher incomes as they can weather this economic storm without to great a difficulty where as those on the lower income scale are worse off.

Those on higher incomes have the resources and means to get through the recession unscathed but those at the lower end who have none to fall back on and no resources become even poorer.

Where is the logic in that?

And scrapping the Christmas Bonus will only encourage people who need to buy toys, food etc for their families at Christmas to go to loan sharks for money. MABs and other agencies have been over the years trying to prevent such things happening especially at Christmas. Because of the extinct bonus people will be in a worse position and will cause hardship to those who need it most at that time. There will also be a draw on cash strapped charities to help them.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Overall, I'm Disapointed.

No Increese in booze or petrol - to prevent cross boarder trading (ha!)

No Cut in VAT - emm... to encourage cross border trading?

no introduction of 3rd level fee's - i would totally support a 30 - 50% fee range, with means testing (lower the family income - lower the 3rd level fees)

25c increese for a pack of smokes - will Just encorage people to buy duty free/black market

no x-mas payment for pensioners or people on social welfare - watch next week for penisoners on kildare street.

I would have liked them to bring in social Employment - on the dole more then 6 months, have people doing work in their local comunity - cleaning grafitti/litter collection, cutting park verges.

this budget is an overstreched bandaid on a wound that ripping apart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

There was nothing in this budget to stimulate the economy which is badly needed, instead they have taken more money from the people in order to get a quick fix to pay off debts. When will they understand that this type of thing does not work.

Fuel prices need to be coming down, not up, VAT, VRT also need to come down. 5c on diesel may not seem a lot, but to a business it is. It won't be long now till we see petrol going up again due to the fact it is now more expensive to transport it to the filling station, ESB, gas, bin collection fees and public tranport will more than likely go up too.

In the long term they have shot themselves in the foot with this budget because:

1. It will now make more people worse off.
    2. More people will now cut spending in order to get by.
    3. More people will now go and spend up north.
    4. More families will now find it harder to pay off their mortage - increase in house repossessions.
    5. The family second car will go.
    6. More car dealers closing and job losses due to a further decrease in car sales.
    7. As a result of the above points, 5. and 6. there will be less demand for fuel, decrease in car tax been got, decrease in insurace policies, NCT figures down, garages will see less work coming in and further job losses.
    8. Even less revenue for the government coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

I would have liked them to bring in social Employment - on the dole more then 6 months, have people doing work in their local comunity - cleaning grafitti/litter collection, cutting park verges.

Yes if the Irish State can't create any proper jobs for its citizens it should just demean them with some menial labour. I vote they be forced to wear orange overalls with word 'sponger' emblazoned across their backs. Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

I've often wondered myself about the actual benefits of cutting tds pay.

At the moment we have well paid officials, this is not money for nothing, it is not easy to get elected. If you dont believe me, try it.

The calibre of individuals with the ability to cohesively organise themselves and convince an electorate to give them a mandate to govern a republic are, for the most part, intelligent, clannish, elitist and have alpha type personalities, they also have an innate ability to play on a populations fears. (Note that I am referencing here those politicians with the ability to gain the control of an administration not those who may find themselves in opposition for the duration of their political careers)

This is, of course, a generalisation and you may find many examples to the contrary (Messr's Healy-Rae Senior and Junior spring to mind). This calibre of individual is also, conicidentally, the type sought by corporations to staff their boardrooms. Thus we have high salaries in order to attract the (assumed) best and brightest. Which is not to say that a politicians station forbids him from being involved in any number of companies(providing disclosure of course) Berlusconi being a prime example, Rumsfeld another. Closer to home we have the overnight appointment of Tom Parlon as head of the CIF, I'm not au fait with the details of his pay slip but I'm guessing its not particularly spartan.

So what exactly is my point?

My point is this. What if this situation were to be reversed i.e. a drastic reduction in salaries, what would be the resultant effect? I'm not talking percentages here, I'm talking a complete cessation of allowances and a reducation in deputys pay to 40k, ministers to 50k and taosigh to 70. I confess, on this note I may sound over idealistic and even naive but I would assume you would attract individuals with a genuine interest in public administration. Perhaps you would get people with a love of their country and their neighbours, people concerned with improving the lot of others. Perhaps you might even be so lucky as to get that rarest of beasts, the man whose philosophy is a job well done is its own reward.

Stand up Brian Cody, tell me Brian, how much did you get paid for being the absolute hands down best at what you do in the entire country? let me guess, well benchmarking your achievements against those individuals involved in the banking sector and their rewards I'm conservatively estimating you got approx. 5 million euros for your achievements. I'm sorry Brian, the connection must be poor, I thought I heard you say you got nothing for it.

Commitment, Pride, Integrity, Honesty, Passion. All the abilities I expect from the men and women who are entrusted with the care of our nation. As the Taoiseach himself said during the opening days of his tenure " politics is first and foremost about public service" Maybe it was his father who said it first, either way he only got it half right, politics is solely about public service. Those individuals attracted to politics because of the benefit to themselves will never be able to effectively manage an economy let alone have the moral character to govern a people. So i say, leave them as fodder for the corporations. Pay our politicians what we pay our senior frontline service civil servants, why pay a politician more than we pay our senior gardai?

Debating budgets and their impact is futile until we reconfigure the mechanism by which we attract those to government. Why is the GAA a success? Because it is staffed by individuals with a commitment to a common goal which is considered reward enough. This is the philosophy we need of those in power, until this is achieved to some meaningful extent we are flogging a dead horse, there is no kickstarting this economy, it needs a complete overhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Sorry to go off topic slightly here, but how much will a pack of 20 fags cost now? Have been out of the country for a while, but due home in June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

questioner wrote: »
    I've often wondered myself about the actual benefits of cutting tds pay.

At the moment we have well paid officials, this is not money for nothing, it is not easy to get elected. If you dont believe me, try it.

The calibre of individuals with the ability to cohesively organise themselves and convince an electorate to give them a mandate to govern a republic are, for the most part, intelligent, clannish, elitist and have alpha type personalities, they also have an innate ability to play on a populations fears. (Note that I am referencing here those politicians with the ability to gain the control of an administration not those who may find themselves in opposition for the duration of their political careers)

This is, of course, a generalisation and you may find many examples to the contrary (Messr's Healy-Rae Senior and Junior spring to mind). This calibre of individual is also, conicidentally, the type sought by corporations to staff their boardrooms. Thus we have high salaries in order to attract the (assumed) best and brightest. Which is not to say that a politicians station forbids him from being involved in any number of companies(providing disclosure of course) Berlusconi being a prime example, Rumsfeld another. Closer to home we have the overnight appointment of Tom Parlon as head of the CIF, I'm not au fait with the details of his pay slip but I'm guessing its not particularly spartan.

So what exactly is my point?

My point is this. What if this situation were to be reversed i.e. a drastic reduction in salaries, what would be the resultant effect? I'm not talking percentages here, I'm talking a complete cessation of allowances and a reducation in deputys pay to 40k, ministers to 50k and taosigh to 70. I confess, on this note I may sound over idealistic and even naive but I would assume you would attract individuals with a genuine interest in public administration. Perhaps you would get people with a love of their country and their neighbours, people concerned with improving the lot of others. Perhaps you might even be so lucky as to get that rarest of beasts, the man whose philosophy is a job well done is its own reward.

Stand up Brian Cody, tell me Brian, how much did you get paid for being the absolute hands down best at what you do in the entire country? let me guess, well benchmarking your achievements against those individuals involved in the banking sector and their rewards I'm conservatively estimating you got approx. 5 million euros for your achievements. I'm sorry Brian, the connection must be poor, I thought I heard you say you got nothing for it.

Commitment, Pride, Integrity, Honesty, Passion. All the abilities I expect from the men and women who are entrusted with the care of our nation. As the Taoiseach himself said during the opening days of his tenure " politics is first and foremost about public service" Maybe it was his father who said it first, either way he only got it half right, politics is solely about public service. Those individuals attracted to politics because of the benefit to themselves will never be able to effectively manage an economy let alone have the moral character to govern a people. So i say, leave them as fodder for the corporations. Pay our politicians what we pay our senior frontline service civil servants, why pay a politician more than we pay our senior gardai?

Debating budgets and their impact is futile until we reconfigure the mechanism by which we attract those to government. Why is the GAA a success? Because it is staffed by individuals with a commitment to a common goal which is considered reward enough. This is the philosophy we need of those in power, until this is achieved to some meaningful extent we are flogging a dead horse, there is no kickstarting this economy, it needs a complete overhaul.

Brian Cody is Kilkenny hurling manager. I somehow doubt he's been paid €5 million for his achievements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I'm saddened by what seems to be a panic budget.

It appears that Fianna Fail - now that their business contacts have proved unreliable - can't find any way to bring the country back to profit.

The taxes hit the very people who are losing their jobs: middle-skilled, middle-income (for now) families with children.

The withdrawal of state benefits for children seems to me to be a response to the people alleging that eastern European people are claiming these benefits and bringing them home to low-price economies where they are worth more. It's probably also an attempt to drive married women out of the workforce, as a Fianna Fail government did in the 1930s when they brought in their rules on married female civil and public servants having to leave their jobs.

Brian Cowen and Brian Lenihan both make the point that wealthy people pay proportionally more. This is true, but it doesn't come out of the food money. (By 'food money' I mean the basic money that everyone has to spend on food, clothes and shelter, rather than the money that goes on extras such as holidays, nice cars, etc.)

Raising tax on bank deposits seems crazy; this will send savings fleeing out of the country to places where they're not taxed.

The idea that TDs' and ministers' salaries will be "compared to those of similarly sized countries" seems simply dishonest. We haven't got the money to pay these people their swollen wages. If they're patriotic, they'll take the average wage while their country is in trouble.

The end of mortgage relief - it seems that they're trying desperately to bring down house prices, which is, of course, a good thing; but surely this could have been limited to new mortgages?

I'm sitting back and rubbing my hands in anticipation, waiting for the creative ways that people will find to dodge these nasty taxes: house swaps instead of sales, bartering, childcare pooling.

Poor Fianna Fail - they've got fat and slow on their feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 shandsaker1982

you are 100% right. Overpaid +++++++++. 4 million people in the country and second highest paid leader in the world (besides the CORRUPT african regimes).
    And here is a question for anyone who might know...how do we express our disappointment in numbers to these greedy politicians who havnt lost their job and havnt taken a pay cut. Why cant we make a point and make them feel obliged to take one.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kathy2

We know its not easy to get elected, dont agree with the alpha rubbish its all corrupt from the grass roots but what you left out was that Brian Lenihan and Conor Lenihan got in on a family party ticket and not no their own steam.

Those 2 were also promoted and have no apparent achievements that are visible to me.

As Bad and annoying as Mary Harney is its easier to have a bit of respect for her.

What percentage of the Dail are in on a ticket. The selection process is far from fair. The entire Kett family is in the Dail, 2 brothers and a sister.

Then you have Mary O Rourke, Simon Covney. Beverly cooper flynn, sean haughy, Berties brother and so on

I think the selection process is a joke, I know in Cork where I am from a selection committee by passed all hard working and decent candidates for a known plonker with the right surname, and that is standard practice

I am willing to take a bet here and now that one of Jim O'Keeffe TD's daughters will get his seat when he retires and the fine geal nomination although none of them are as yet in the party and none of them have any achievements in public life although not knoking them personally.

(could I try a bookie with that one?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

even if u wanted to leave ireland in search of a job, they still tax u €10 on your way out lol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭dizzyniki

I for one was expecting this budget to be an awful lot worse than what it actually was.......still i know the worst has yet to come.....

In 100% favour of means testing childrens allowance and social welfare....this should have been done years ago!!!! millionaires in the country having children, obtaining the social welfare payment and the likes of others struggling to get by.....that never should have happened.....a plus for for the less fortunate!!!!

Taxing min wage workers probably had to be done....a sorry conclusion is that the majority of these workers are unskilled and went straight into employment for whatever reasons......i suppose its only fair that they generate income for the government also..... im taxed to high hell all the time. I'm employed by the governement and feel that I do enough as a tax payer.

Cutting the dole in half is understandable.....i dont want to listen to one more mother saying "My Jimmy will have to move back in home now because of this" For gooodness sake he's under 20 and we're in recession and he probably only moved out to get the higher dole rate anyway!!!!
    Maybe if evidence to prove that the under 20 had previously underwent training or had an apprenticeship then they could be exempt from this.Likewise all those over 20 who have been receiving the dole since they were 18 should also have their cases looked into......... i know a lot who have never bothered their backsides to look for a job who have been on the dole since the day that they could do so and it makes me sick to think that taxpayers are supporting the likes of these lazy money grabbers!!!!From now on people might as well get the dole if their only other option is to work min wage as that'll be taxed now anyway and the dole brings more money into a household.............

what a backwards society!!!!

cutting the christmas bonus is just wrong...its crazy that our govt could stand up and say that those who could afford to pay would pay......so little grannys and grandads can afford to pay can they??? i never want to contribute to pensions in this country as this is what they can do to you...

Someone remarked on how civil servants could retire early at 50.....i'll put it to you now that any public service worker can do this.......... nurses, gardai and teachers plus more............ these people will not be replaced..........that means further staff shortages in hospitals and schools......its a huge embargo and people have not really considered this..... i hope that the 50+year olds dont find this an incentive to retire.

All in all many mistakes were made in this budget...........lenihan never even apologised at the beginning for the huge fu*k up that they have made.......all this "the banks will pay" for mortifying this country......im mortified that this is the country we live in and that we allowed tis govt to run a muck for so long!! NO TAX ON VAT!!!! What were they thinking????? IMO i certainly wouldnt mind another motorway not being built...... i cant see how capital spending wasnt cut.....it outrages me!!!! i know the construction force was already in a desperate state but honestly i dont think that new roads and infrastructure is on our minds at this moment...we wont even be able to travel on them soon enough when the carbon tax is introduced.

wasnt this supposed to be all over by early 2011???? now we hear of a 5year plan.........this will never be finished.....we will never see another boom in this country again!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

dizzyniki wrote: »
    I for one was expecting this budget to be an awful lot worse than what it actually was.......still i know the worst has yet to come.....

In 100% favour of means testing childrens allowance and social welfare....this should have been done years ago!!!! millionaires in the country having children, obtaining the social welfare payment and the likes of others struggling to get by.....that never should have happened.....a plus for for the less fortunate!!!!

Taxing min wage workers probably had to be done....a sorry conclusion is that the majority of these workers are unskilled and went straight into employment for whatever reasons......i suppose its only fair that they generate income for the government also..... im taxed to high hell all the time. I'm employed by the governement and feel that I do enough as a tax payer.

Cutting the dole in half is understandable.....i dont want to listen to one more mother saying "My Jimmy will have to move back in home now because of this" For gooodness sake he's under 20 and we're in recession and he probably only moved out to get the higher dole rate anyway!!!!
    Maybe if evidence to prove that the under 20 had previously underwent training or had an apprenticeship then they could be exempt from this.Likewise all those over 20 who have been receiving the dole since they were 18 should also have their cases looked into......... i know a lot who have never bothered their backsides to look for a job who have been on the dole since the day that they could do so and it makes me sick to think that taxpayers are supporting the likes of these lazy money grabbers!!!!From now on people might as well get the dole if their only other option is to work min wage as that'll be taxed now anyway and the dole brings more money into a household.............

what a backwards society!!!!

cutting the christmas bonus is just wrong...its crazy that our govt could stand up and say that those who could afford to pay would pay......so little grannys and grandads can afford to pay can they??? i never want to contribute to pensions in this country as this is what they can do to you...

Someone remarked on how civil servants could retire early at 50.....i'll put it to you now that any public service worker can do this.......... nurses, gardai and teachers plus more............ these people will not be replaced..........that means further staff shortages in hospitals and schools......its a huge embargo and people have not really considered this..... i hope that the 50+year olds dont find this an incentive to retire.

All in all many mistakes were made in this budget...........lenihan never even apologised at the beginning for the huge fu*k up that they have made.......all this "the banks will pay" for mortifying this country......im mortified that this is the country we live in and that we allowed tis govt to run a muck for so long!! NO TAX ON VAT!!!! What were they thinking????? IMO i certainly wouldnt mind another motorway not being built...... i cant see how capital spending wasnt cut.....it outrages me!!!! i know the construction force was already in a desperate state but honestly i dont think that new roads and infrastructure is on our minds at this moment...we wont even be able to travel on them soon enough when the carbon tax is introduced.

wasnt this supposed to be all over by early 2011???? now we hear of a 5year plan.........this will never be finished.....we will never see another boom in this country again!!!

We all know that the worst is yet to come, but unfortunately the degree of "worseness" is exacerbated by the the fact that the government still cannot get it into their thick heads that they should be stimulating the economy instead of killing it.

God only knows where they're getting their advice - probably a junior cert maths failure being groomed to take over the family seat.

I despair at their complete and utter clueless incompetence.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    God only knows where they're getting their advice

From people of their own class and financial standing. That's why they can sit there trembling with fat in their Armani suits and say with a straight face that the well-off are being hit more. They feel the pain of the rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

questioner wrote: »
    Westminster MPs used not be paid at all (salaries were only started in 1911.) The major effect of this was that only people of independent means, or supported by a wealthy patron, could become MPs. This limits the pool of people eligible and is arguably more condusive to corruption if you are reliant for your income on a patron rather than the taxpayer. Whether our government should be paid more than almost any other in Europe is another matter.

luckat wrote: »
    I'm saddened by what seems to be a panic budget.

To be fair we had no option but to have this emergency budget otherwise we would be going the same way as Iceland.

However I feel they have got it all wrong, they should have concentrated more on finding savings, making depts more efficient, as someone pointed out they have taken the easy option in terms of getting the public finances back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭narwog81

OPENROAD wrote: »
    they should have concentrated more on finding savings, making depts more efficient, as someone pointed out they have taken the easy option in terms of getting the public finances back on track.

Hard to do at this time of the year, same with changing the tax brackets.

Wait til the budget later in the year for 2010, the government will had a chance to see how the PS recruitment/promotion moratoriaum is working out and can act accordingly.

Levies will be repaeled and the tax brackets changed in a more sensible way to raise additional taxes.

All government departments will have cuts in their budgets and "efficiencies" found where possible.

Any capital spending we have left will be binned for 2010.

All this is of cousre if we havent fallen into the sea by then!

narwog81 wrote: »
    Hard to do at this time of the year, same with changing the tax brackets.

Wait til the budget later in the year for 2010, the government will had a chance to see how the PS recruitment/promotion moratoriaum is working out and can act accordingly.

Levies will be repaeled and the tax brackets changed in a more sensible way to raise additional taxes.

All government departments will have cuts in their budgets and "efficiencies" found where possible.

Any capital spending we have left will be binned for 2010.

All this is of cousre if we havent fallen into the sea by then!

Valid point, it can be diificult to do things mid year, I would still have the worry that they are going to concentrate on taxation changes come December which would be a huge mistake, thing is because of the uncertainty as to what will happen in December, money coming into the govt will continue to fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭narwog81

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I would still have the worry that they are going to concentrate on taxation changes come December which would be a huge mistake, quote]

Agreed, I've listened to Lenihan speak numerous times now since yesterday afternoon and notwithstanding any more major decline in our finances, i dont think there will be tax increases on anything like the scale seen in this supplementary budget.

Rather they'll drop some of the levies and push up the tax brackets. This would be a more refined way to gather the taxes but we'll still all be worse off. I reckon social welfare will be cut further. Bar the HSE i cant really see where the government has any great room for cuts in the PS though.

It's a hugely anti-women - in fact, anti-mammy - budget. Look at the provisions and divide them out by who they affect and you'll be surprised.

Incidentally, Bruton lost my vote - which was drifting tentatively towards Fine Gael, against everything I was ever in favour of - with one phrase last night, when he snapped at a professional and calm interviewer who asked him too probing a question: "Let me explain it to you, dear..."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

they did absolutely nothing to curb jobs hemorrhaging, instead they massively increase taxes, and consider it banked yet we've another few years of global recession to get through, whats gonna happen when another 400,000 are taken out of the 1.5 million( or whatever it is ) PAYE contributors and on the dole? where will the money come from then?

Stg is taking a hammering from the Euro meaning that for multinational companies the UK now has a cheaper hourly rate than we do, this is really going to affect our chances of recovery and they did absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

jos28 wrote: »
    Stealing Christmas from pensioners could be his biggest mistake. Seriously bad move

Why would that bother him, They already took their medical cards away and half heartedly backtracked

Advertisement