Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solid fuel stove with back boiler

Options
  • 07-04-2009 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi Guys,
    I know there are many threads about solid fuel stoves but wondering can someone answer my specific question.
    We want to install a solid fuel stove with back boiler into our 4 bed dormer. There are 5 double rads, 3 single and 3 small rads (in bathroom).
    Some one recommended a herald 14 but i dont know if this will suit our needs. I think this one has a BTU of 45,000 but im not sure that this is enough.
    Another shop recommended a aiden?? this has a btu of 70,000.
    Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭knx

Hi Pander,

I'm renovating a house at the moment and installing a Horseflame Yarman which has an output of 50,000 btu. It is feeding 9 double rads of various size and 2 towel rails as well as a 200 litre tank. Had a stove installer call round to the house and he reckons 50,000 is adequate for my place. I have noticed everyones opinion differs so that is why I got the guy who installs boilers to call. I have also been told that if it's too big you won't be able to sit in the room beside it. (because of the heat and not the size obviously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

Hi Guys,
    Stoves vary greatly in quality, price and heat output.
    When getting a boiler model go for a recognised brand imho with a good guarntee as if a boiler does go its very messy. On a dry stove I see no problem with some of the cheaper imports.
    Most suppliers should be able to give you a split on heat to rads vrs heat to room. When going with that size of output a thermostat is a must. Hunter are a good brand as are arrow etc. Shop around for prices but ensure you can get good information and back up.

Pander ask you plumber/installer to give you a heat load in KW or Btus as 5 double rads could be anything depending on their leangth. When you have this and you know your room size one stove may suit over an other.
    For more general info see our site via the contact in profile and I have a blog there as well.
    We are working as a showroom towards killing off the open fire so well done on joining the group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Why do some of the bigger stove have thermostats on them?

Wouldnt you use a pipe stat to control the pump anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭newname

Hi,

I was in stove shop recently and 2 that caught my eye were the Aarrow stratford eco boiler and the parkray consort 9. I don't know anything about the parkray other than they are an english company and the eco boiler is a bit of a brute in terms or output apparently. Its fairly new so not sure how it would stand up after a few years.

Has anyone any experience of these 2 stoves? It would be good to get some first hand experience of them?

Thanks

Hi demanufactured,
    yeah the pump will be wired to a stat but the stat on the stove itself measures the temp on the return and adjusts the air intake correspondently to shut off air when the water is hot enough or open up the air flow if the water temp is lower than the stat is set too.
    newname have had good reports on the SEB20 and Si40 if thats the one you are talking about but no reports on the parkray but they should be good as they are a sister of Hunter. Depends on the size of the room and heatload required for the rads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭newname

Hi

Pander what size of room will your stove be sitting in?

fmcc I will be putting the stove in a room 3.75m by 4.25m and looking to serve 6 rads or so, do you think the Seb20 might be too powerful for a room that size?

Hi newname
    assuming a standard ceiling height then i,d say the seb 20 might be too much at max its about 8kw to room where you may only need 3-4kw but bear in mind thats the seb20 flat out. If the stove is going to be recessed into an opening and there is an area for spillage I'd say it may be ok but as it stands it would prob be too much. Hunter 8 with a wraparound boiler is another option that may suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Hi Folks as a person who bought sold and advised on this stuff I will tell you the official line, Go with your plumbers recomendations if 2 conflict get a third opinion and then pick the one's that match. Its impossible to tell from here what to go with. There is loads of different factors.

Advertisement