Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the story with the 25% free on drink bottles??

Options
  • 07-04-2009 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Why can retailers charge more for a bottle of whatever, which clearly has % free on the label???

Shouldnt it be priced as normal?

Are retailers just pocketing extra profits over this??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

A retailer can charge pretty much anything it like for the items it sell; it is up to you if you wish to pay for it or not. It is called market forces; a price on an item will be sold at to generate the highest possible profit for the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

gags89 wrote: »
    Why can retailers charge more for a bottle of whatever, which clearly has % free on the label???
    They could charge 10 times the price, there is no law controlling how high prices go.
    gags89 wrote: »
    Are retailers just pocketing extra profits over this??
    yes pretty much. If the manufacturer wants it sold at a certain price they just put a flashed price on the product (i.e. a bar with 60cent printed on the wrapper. I think you legally must sell at that price then.

My mate used to work in centra and the manager was going mad one day as somebody got a load of flashed bars one day when the same bar was available "unflashed" so he could have charged more. The manufacturer might supply the wholesaler at different prices for flashed items too.

I think some have deals with places they can trust, e.g. tesco often have pepsi at half price for no particular reason, I am guessing pepsi supply it cheaper but insist they do charge less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I was in my local Superquinn the weekend and went to buy a bottle of club orange. Spotted the 25% extra free label and grabebd it. But looking at the price it was displayed as something like €1.35 rather than €1.20 for the regular bottle beside it. Hardly free. Brought it to the manual checkouts and it scanned at €1.40. Found a lad working there and asked what was the reason as it was displayed as being free and even at that it was still scanning at the higher price. He agreed with me but there were no managers around so I went to one of the girls at the till and told her the same story, it was scanning too high and should only be €1.20 which is what I got it for in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Jip wrote: »
    I was in my local Superquinn the weekend and went to buy a bottle of club orange. Spotted the 25% extra free label and grabebd it. But looking at the price it was displayed as something like €1.35 rather than €1.20 for the regular bottle beside it. Hardly free. Brought it to the manual checkouts and it scanned at €1.40. Found a lad working there and asked what was the reason as it was displayed as being free and even at that it was still scanning at the higher price. He agreed with me but there were no managers around so I went to one of the girls at the till and told her the same story, it was scanning too high and should only be €1.20 which is what I got it for in the end.

I'm not 100% on this, but the club orange bottles that have 25% extra free are 600mls with 25% extra, so are not the standard size (500mls). you get 750mls instead, but as I said, I'm not fully certain.
    In that case, the standard size bottle is E2.40 per litre (E1.20 per 500mls)* and the other promotional bottle is 2.25 per litre ([1.35 x 1000] / 600)* without the 25% extra free and 1.80 per litre ([1.35 x 1000]/ 750)* including the bit "extra free"- which aint that bad!
    It's always earier to look at the shelf edge labels and check the price per litre/ price per kg etc to compare things.

*sorry if my maths are wrong! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Jeapy wrote: »
    I'm not 100% on this, but the club orange bottles that have 25% extra free are 600mls with 25% extra, so are not the standard size (500mls). you get 750mls instead, but as I said, I'm not fully certain.
    In that case, the standard size bottle is E2.40 per litre (E1.20 per 500mls)* and the other promotional bottle is 2.25 per litre ([1.35 x 1000] / 600)* without the 25% extra free and 1.80 per litre ([1.35 x 1000]/ 750)* including the bit "extra free"- which aint that bad!
    It's always earier to look at the shelf edge labels and check the price per litre/ price per kg etc to compare things.

*sorry if my maths are wrong! :)

You're exactly right on this. I remember being confused the first time I bought one of these how an extra 25% of 500ml ended up at 750ml!

Just shows that the customer isn't always right, and sometimes it's better to do a bit of research before jumping to conclusions and shouting rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

penguin88 wrote: »
    You're exactly right on this. I remember being confused the first time I bought one of these how an extra 25% of 500ml ended up at 750ml!
    Just shows that the customer isn't always right, and sometimes it's better to do a bit of research before jumping to conclusions and shouting rip off.

I'm in that boat too! I bought it in a shop on Grafton street and was pretty annoyed with the price hike, until I realised it was 600mls + 25%. Been looking for a shop with the offer to take a pic of the volume, so far no good!

I've come across places who charge the same price for the 750ml as the 500ml bottle....

*runs to bargain alerts* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

i've seen pepsi ones with 50% extra free, as being sold for more than the 500ml

Advertisement