Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice re. Canon 450d USB problem!?!

• 07-04-2009 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys looking for a bit of advice or info.

I have recently noticed that my USB port on my camera has stopped working. I have been swapping memory cards had hadnt noticed when this happened.

I got the camera November last year in jessop's in Newry.

the advice Im looking for is as follows.

1) Do I return the camera to Jessop's newry let them look at it?

2) Is there somewhere in Dublin that can look at it?

3) Do I carry on using the memory card to transfare the photos? Do I really need the usb port? If the problem is a warranty issue time becomes an issue.

4) Any other Idea's?

Im dreading them taking the camera for a couple of weeks for something as small as a usb port!!

Thanks in advance

Brian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's generally easier and faster to use a card reader for the memory cards as opposed to USB from the camera...

As for getting the usb port fixed...haven't a clue on that one mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Have you tried the camera on another computer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have you tried the camera on another computer?

That's the best thing to do next, the PC that you normally use may have gotten it's settings in a mess. For example I have an Apple iTouch and every time I connect it to my laptop I get a message saying I have just connected a camera which I can happily ignore because iTunes picks it up ok.

My sister purchased a camera from Lidl a few years ago and the direct USB connection also got messed up just like you're describing, she ended up having to use a memory card reader to pull off the photos. If you plug your camera into another PC and it looks ok then you will need to do some first aid on the registry on your PC which carries a whole lot of risk, let us know what happens when you plug the camera into a different PC and we'll take you from there.

It's generally easier and faster to use a card reader for the memory cards as opposed to USB from the camera...

You can't be serious! How can it be easier to (1) take the memory card out of the camera (2) shove it into a memory card reader (3) plug the memory card reader into the PC as opposed to (1) connect the camera to the PC which does not require fiddling with the memory card and does not require a card reader?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

I agree with Challengemaster, I have never used the camera's connections, have always used a Card reader which is left plugged in to the computer, Much easier and faster and less drain on the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

coylemj wrote: »
    You can't be serious! How can it be easier to (1) take the memory card out of the camera (2) shove it into a memory card reader (3) plug the memory card reader into the PC as opposed to (1) connect the camera to the PC which does not require fiddling with the memory card and does not require a card reader?

Faster transfer speeds, saves on the camera battery and less likely to cause damage to the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

He is serious and it's best practice for some of the reasons outlined by SB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

+1 (...and I'm the nerdy computer type! ;))

You'll pick up a card reader here for about a tenner (+ free postage and they accept laser): http://shop4memory.com/products/flash-card-reader.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Thanks for the replys.

I have tried the camera on my work computer and its not seeing the camera Im convinced it the usb port on the camera.

I dont want this turning into a debate on transfare methods, just a members opinion is it worth the loss of the camera for a couple of weeks to get it fixed?

And id there a place in Dublin where I could get it fixed?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

NORTH1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys.

I have tried the camera on my work computer and its not seeing the camera Im convinced it the usb port on the camera.

I dont want this turning into a debate on transfare methods, just a members opinion is it worth the loss of the camera for a couple of weeks to get it fixed?

And id there a place in Dublin where I could get it fixed?

Thanks

Have you tried a card reader?

• Advertisement

soccerc wrote: »
    Have you tried a card reader?

A card reader is what I have been using for the last 2 months, only noticed the usb port not working the other day.

Is the port need to update the camera software?

A card reader is what I have been using for the last 2 months, only noticed the usb port not working the other day.

Is the port need to update the camera software?

Ok let's leave the debate about which transfer method is best for another day.

One more thing to consider from the perspective of problem determination, have you tried a different USB cable?

Yes, I believe the USB port would be needed to do a firmware upgrade though I do recall that I installed a firmware upgrade to a Canon Powershot S50 a few years ago by writing a file to the CF card while it was in a card reader attached to my PC, then I popped the card into the camera and when I switched it on it applied the upgrade, not sure if Canon still do it this way or if the USB cable is the only game in town these days, perhaps some Canon dSLR users can advise??

Ok let's leave the debate about which transfer method is best for another day.

One more thing to consider from the perspective of problem determination, have you tried a different USB cable?

Yes, I believe the USB port would be needed to do a firmware upgrade though I do recall that I installed a firmware upgrade to a Canon Powershot S50 a few years ago by writing a file to the CF card while it was in a card reader attached to my PC, then I popped the card into the camera and when I switched it on it applied the upgrade, not sure if Canon still do it this way or if the USB cable is the only game in town these days, perhaps some Canon dSLR users can advise??

Yep I have also tried different cables, I think i discover the cause of the problem will trying the cables I noticed a kink in the small connector on the cable I used on the camera originaly. Yet I cannot see any evidence of damage to the port on the camera.

I am thinking that the cable must have damage the port last time I used it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Yep I have also tried different cables, I think i discover the cause of the problem will trying the cables I noticed a kink in the small connector on the cable I used on the camera originaly. Yet I cannot see any evidence of damage to the port on the camera.

I am thinking that the cable must have damage the port last time I used it.

It's generally recommended NOT to connect the camera while powered on. I presume you were doing this. And FWIW it is WAY faster to transfer from the memory card. I have a 450D myself.:)

Advertisement