Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some 2G iPhone questions

Options
  • 07-04-2009 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

1. Can it be set up for picture txts?
    2. Can you manually install settings to access cellular data
      (Internet) for Vodafone Irl?
    3. If I buy a sim card in America will this phone allow it to work?
    4. Can the Bluetooth be tweeked to allow it to connect to other
      phones via Bluetooth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

1. By jailbreaking it, yes. There's a program called Swirly MMS, I think.
    2. Yes. Go to Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network
    3. I presume you mean a regular SIM and not one of those Rebel SIM ones. A US AT&T SIM will work in a US iPhone, but that's not much good over here, especially since it'd have to be a bill pay SIM. There's no way for you to get one without signing up to AT&T service.
    4. Yes, there's a jailbreak app called iBluetooth.

From the third question you asked, I'm guessing that you're considering buying an iPhone in America. You can't buy them SIM free or on pay as you go in the US. You have to sign an AT&T contract in the store when you buy one and that requires a US social security number and bank account. Best bet is to buy one pay as you go here in Ireland. If you're with O2, you just put your SIM card into it and it'll work straight away. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for them to crack version 2.2.1 of the iPhone software or buy off eBay.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

mobius42 wrote: »
    From the third question you asked, I'm guessing that you're considering buying an iPhone in America. You can't buy them SIM free or on pay as you go in the US.

I believe this has changed recently. Apparently Apple are now selling non-contract iphones, still locked to AT&T's network. So you could buy one, then jailbreak & unlock, but the prices are extremely expensive.

Of course, the latest firmware is still not unlockable, so this point is rather moot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

1. By jailbreaking it, yes. There's a program called Swirly MMS, I think.
    2. Yes. Go to Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network
    3. I presume you mean a regular SIM and not one of those Rebel SIM ones. A US AT&T SIM will work in a US iPhone, but that's not much good over here, especially since it'd have to be a bill pay SIM. There's no way for you to get one without signing up to AT&T service.
    4. Yes, there's a jailbreak app called iBluetooth.

1. Thanks I'll try that.
    2. Would these be the correct settings to enter?;
    connection name:Vf ISP
    data bearer: packet data
    APN:isp.vodafone.ie
    username:vodafone
    prompt password:no
    password:vodafone
    authentication:normal
    homepage: http://www.vodafone.ie
    network type:IPv4
    phone IP address:automatic
    name servers (DNS): automatic
    proxy address:none
    proxy port:0
    3. This phone is an o2 Ire model, unlocked & jailbroken. I'd like to us it when I'm in the States, I was just wondering would it work with a local sim card.
    4. Thanks I'll try that.
    you'll have to wait for them to crack version 2.2.1 of the iPhone software or buy off eBay.

The 2.2.1 version is unlockable since the 3rd Feb. You must be talking about the 3G iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

There's a thread here somewhere on using the iPhone on the Vodafone network.

If I recall correctly, it isn't as straight forward as you think, I believe there is more to it with Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    There's a thread here somewhere on using the iPhone on the Vodafone network.

If I recall correctly, it isn't as straight forward as you think, I believe there is more to it with Vodafone.

If you use the isp.vodafone.ie APN it's 19c per MB on prepay (expensive :)) and €9.99 per month for a 1GB addon on postpay. The iPhone cannot really be used with VF Live! (€9.99 / month for 500MB afaik) without a fair bit of expertise and hacking software on the iPhone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement