Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2009 - Is it clear that we need new government?

Options
  • 07-04-2009 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭

Well guys,

Fianna Fail let this mess occur by not regulating banks properly & wasting public finances (did we really need that 5mil stainless steel spire in dublin or did fás chief's really need those holidays in florida at tax payer's expense?)

Do ye think is time fianna fail went?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

They should have put a mandate to the public after the first emergency budget failed, and let us decide on what policy's we want implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just read over the budget measures and listening to Joan Burton's criticism of it which is still ongoing - the woman could talk until tomorrow...

She is completely right though, as have all the critics been - the measures introduced today are logical, but bollocks at the same time. They have been caused by a government of absolute and utter idiots.

It has never been clearer that we need new government and we need it now, before these gombeen dip****s are allowed to screw us even more as soon as October.

Anyone here agree? I tried to attach a poll but nowhere to be seen...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

Personally I believe they want go, political suicide attacking the country's children - I'm sure they'd rather sit it out and let someone else do the hard work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

lol yer its a blame everyone but themselves policy that they do uphold with vigour

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I won't vote for them again...utter disgrace!, but...would any new crowd do any better?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Searlait

Bear with me... Times like this I think of that film Dave, where something happened the American President and look-a-like, Kevin Kline was brought in to cover up. He has a look at the accounts and calls his friend in to help him, an accountant. Do these politicians have any accounting abilities at all!? Hospitals run by doctors, and not business managers, etc IMO, wrong people in the wrong positions, running the show!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

bladespin wrote: »
    Personally I believe they want go, political suicide attacking the country's children - I'm sure they'd rather sit it out and let someone else do the hard work.
    That's the "They're smart" assumption, but either way the end result is the same. They can let, say, FG take the reigns, do the hard budgets, become unpopular, and then come back to government when it's all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Yes! Yes! Yes!
    These are the biggest bunch of tool's ever.
    I bet Mary Hearny will still eat her weight in the best food and still get her €200 haircuts, while we the people who keep her job going get all the burden.

These moron's should have been laughed out of the senate!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

They created the mess, they can now stay and sort it. Although, I believe they are incapable of solving any financial deficit, largely due to the fact that there isn't one decent financial expert amongst them. You have teacher, lawyers, solicitors and ALWAYS the teachers! They are all LOCAL politicians and are incapable of handling economy. Grand when the money is coming in...they sure knew how to spend OTHER PEOPLE'S money and as for some of the Civil Servants!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I won't vote for them again...utter disgrace!, but...would any new crowd do any better?

given that brian cowen WAS finance minister for most of the past 10 years he should have seen this coming... McCreevy saw it coming and they packed him off to europe, & Bertie saw it coming and bailed out just before it wall went bad...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Just read over the budget measures and listening to Joan Burton's criticism of it which is still ongoing - the woman could talk until tomorrow...

She is completely right though, as have all the critics been - the measures introduced today are logical, but bollocks at the same time. They have been caused by a government of absolute and utter idiots.

It has never been clearer that we need new government and we need it now, before these gombeen dip****s are allowed to screw us even more as soon as October.

Anyone here agree? I tried to attach a poll but nowhere to be seen...

It's the first time she has impressed me, she's really stood up to the mark. Very disappointed in Richard Bruton, seemed to get stage fright, normally a very good speaker but seemed to bottle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

bladespin wrote: »

Thnak you, Finally someone pointing that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

While the situation may be difficult, it is so very easy to make nasty comments whilst sitting on the fence.

Richard Bruton gave 15 minutes criticising the budget with continuous rhetoric, but did he give any solid plans, no he didnt.

Fine Gael's suggestion of the generation of 100,000 jobs within three years is absolute rubbish and is simply not possible in such a global contraction.

Joan Burton will continue to screech for quite a while in the Dáil, but yet again provides no clear path out of the situation.

It's all very fine to say 'get rid of them' or 'they should go', but who on earth are you going to put in their place? A bunch of on the fence individuals who don't have a clue how to channel a path of success!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Snowaddict wrote: »
    While the situation may be difficult, it is so very easy to make nasty comments whilst sitting on the fence.

Richard Bruton gave 15 minutes criticising the budget with continuous rhetoric, but did he give any solid plans, no he didnt.

Fine Gael's suggestion of the generation of 100,000 jobs within three years is absolute rubbish and is simply not possible in such a global contraction.

Joan Burton will continue to screech for quite a while in the Dáil, but yet again provides no clear path out of the situation.

It's all very fine to say 'get rid of them' or 'they should go', but who on earth are you going to put in their place? A bunch of on the fence individuals who don't have a clue how to channel a path of success!

exactly.

Who do you elect? Enda Kenny and that other spanner John Gilmore?

What amuses me is that everybody is an expert on the economy :rolleyes:

I donot get involved in political debate simply because of mindless comments made about politicians and politics that lack any thought or decent analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭joeystrider

Searlait wrote: »
    Bear with me... Times like this I think of that film Dave, where something happened the American President and look-a-like, Kevin Kline was brought in to cover up. He has a look at the accounts and calls his friend in to help him, an accountant. Do these politicians have any accounting abilities at all!? Hospitals run by doctors, and not business managers, etc IMO, wrong people in the wrong positions, running the show!!

Hospitals are not controlled by doctors, rather by committees and people with little understanding of how a hospital should function, to the detriment of the health system. They should be run by managers in conjunction with doctors...

Anyway. Yes time for a new government. This was an utter cop out of a budget, attacking middle income earners the most, and lower income next. Long time dole recipients and high earners escape. High earners by the means that they can receive tax into large retirement funds.

This budget does not particularly help those seeking working and facing unemployment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 michael_23

Searlait wrote: »
    Hospitals run by doctors, and not business managers, etc IMO, wrong people in the wrong positions, running the show!!

Totally agree. The importance of this point should not be understated, folks with little or no commercial acumen responsible for major state operations..... absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

To be honest, all a typically Irish attitude;

"shurrrre who else would I want to vote in now like? They might be worse than the current shower o'muppets"

And so things remain the same ....

"shurrrre better the divil ye know like now t'is true I tells ye before god, t'is true i'is true"

And so things remian the same ....

Let me ask a question. Do you think any of the opposition (I'll exclude Sinn Fein here because they have no credible policy outside of N.Ireland) could do worse?

Removing FF from power would do two things, give a 50-50% chance of an improvement and more importantly, remind the political powers that they are there at the behest of the people, not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

We've a government that can't govern, a Taoiseach that does not know how to communicate in a professional manner or run a country (speaks more like a bully in a school yard), a Finance minister with no accounting skills, and the list goes on....

It's time they went and it's long overdue !

Lemming wrote: »
    Removing FF from power would do two things, give a 50-50% chance of an improvement

How do you come to this figure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

June 5th 2009, by-election in South Dublin. I reckon FF will feel the backlash and as for the Lisbon Treaty II...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

FF are simply not up to the job. The two Brian's are like the chuckle brothers.
    FF should have been replaced at the last general election but Irish do bot vote with their head.

It's not healthy in any democracy to have the guys in power for so long..

only juniors sacked:rolleyes: tax on the super rich should have been increased ten fold. A cap put on the banking sectors salaries..

Did we get any of that ? No, instead we are bailing out toxic "assets" in the UK.:confused::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

June 5th 2009, by-election in South Dublin. I reckon FF will feel the backlash and as for the Lisbon Treaty II...

The government may not even be in power by then. Backbenchers may start to kick up a fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Lemming wrote: »
    To be honest, all a typically Irish attitude;

Removing FF from power would do two things, give a 50-50% chance of an improvement and more importantly, remind the political powers that they are there at the behest of the people, not the other way around.

The removal of FF from power would give a rather high chance of a total collapse in the Irish economy, given that neither Labour or FG, despite each holding party political conferences, have not made clear any framework for economic recovery in any respect, instead outlining outlandish and fanciful plans that simply will not work.

The measures announced in today's budget are exceptionally harsh, there's no denying that, but any suggestion from the opposition that they are not necessary is total lies to the people. These cuts are necessary if we are to get back on the long road to an eventual economic recovery. Have no doubt either that there will be more to come.

This is the worst national and international contraction since the Great Depression following the Wall Street Crash of 1929.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Listening to the opposition today hoping to hear some actual proposals that they would implement if in power and all I am hearing is tripe and whinging and the sun shines out our arse. Bunch of twats just like those in power.

For those people who do not see the value of the EU it has become very clear to everyone. I think we now need to look at the treaty with an open mind.

Lets keep our guy in europe, make a deal on abortion, neutrality etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

i never voted for FF

but anyone who votes no against Lisbon or any other EU matter in order to punish these clowns

deserves to have their voting cards confiscated

seriously Lisbon has nothing to do with FF, before you vote again on this matter remember where the money to plug this country countries deficits caused by FF are being loaned from, and remember what happened to the other island in the north Atlantic with speculators but no euro or EU membership

Snowaddict wrote: »
    The removal of FF from power would give a rather high chance of a total collapse in the Irish economy, given that neither Labour or FG, despite each holding party political conferences, have not made clear any framework for economic recovery in any respect, instead outlining outlandish and fanciful plans that simply will not work.

The measures announced in today's budget are exceptionally harsh, there's no denying that, but any suggestion from the opposition that they are not necessary is total lies to the people. These cuts are necessary if we are to get back on the long road to an eventual economic recovery. Have no doubt either that there will be more to come.

This is the worst national and international contraction since the Great Depression following the Wall Street Crash of 1929.

You say that as if we should give them a pass for ****ing up. FF have put another nail in the coffin and for the first time I am beginning to worry about our economy.

They have not done enough. Personally I don't think I'm effected at all !!!!!

ionix5891 wrote: »
    i never voted for FF

but anyone who votes no against Lisbon or any other EU matter in order to punish these clowns

deserves to have their voting cards confiscated

seriously Lisbon has nothing to do with FF, before you vote again on this matter remember where the money to plug this country countries deficits caused by FF are being loaned from, and remember what happened to the other island in the north Atlantic with speculators but no euro or EU membership

Correct - Do not associate FF with the Lisbon treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Does anyone else think its a joke that after each party leader has given their speech the whole lot walk out? Sinn Féin's Arthur Morgan TD is speaking now and there's practically nobody still in the House.

Roll on the next elections. I've never voted for FF and never will but hopefully this time the majority won't either.

• Advertisement

I hve no doubt that FF will take a trouncing in the next election..

Its rather simple - when the economy is doing well and people have money in their pocket the government at that time will remain in power..

ie.. If the silent majority are happy

Its rather simple, people want someone to blame, and naturally the government are the first place to look at, rather than accepting personal responsibility for accepting that 100% fixed rate mortgage that they cant pay now because they have lost their job.

NO MATTER WHO IS IN POWER the problem remains, we have budget deficit in this country tht needs to be addressed, we need money and we need it fast. No government wants to take money from people on lower incomes but the wish of the masses to tax the wealthy will not generate the returns that people expext so the problem still remains.

A change of government will change nothing other than perhaps higher supertaxes on people on higher incomes such as the super tax of 90% the UK had in the 80's. What did that produce? The mass exedous of wealth from the country.

Advertisement