Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joan Burton

Options
  • 07-04-2009 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

Spoke very well imo.

Glad she brought up the SR Technics debacle. My dad lost his job there after 25 years service and where were the Government? Busy bailing out the banks and the other suits :rolleyes:

Not a hint of contingency plan for that or any of the other major jobs cuts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

She's a terrible speaker in my opinion. She raised good points but her general tone and deliverance was disgraceful. Lenihan was laughing at her. It's a shame about Labour because they've a likeable guy in Gilmore but he's short of a few strong party members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

She sounded like she hadn't been shagged in about 20 years. Utter gob****e. Didn't hear one single proposal from her only aren't ye all terrible terrible boyos. Idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kiltinator

Not a great speaker but one of the few who actually understand the massive fraud just perpetuated on the people of this country.

Banks bailed out and screw everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

She's a terrible speaker in my opinion. She raised good points but her general tone and deliverance was disgraceful. Lenihan was laughing at her. It's a shame about Labour because they've a likeable guy in Gilmore but he's short of a few strong party members.

Sorry, I more so meant her points rather than the delivery.

She was spot on with everything she said imo.

Kiltinator wrote: »
    Not a great speaker but one of the few who actually understand the massive fraud just perpetuated on the people of this country.

Banks bailed out and screw everyone else.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Sorry, I more so meant her points rather than the delivery.

She was spot on with everything she said imo.

Oh yeah, spot on with what she was saying. Unfortunately you find yourself losing track of what she's saying as she rambles on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

so banks to get 90billion bail out for bad debts

thats like 30,000 euro for every person in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

Oh yeah, spot on with what she was saying. Unfortunately you find yourself losing track of what she's saying as she rambles on.

Who cares how she delivers it, it is the content that matters. Maybe if the content was more of a concern to people we'd have a different government in place. Having said that if Labour or FG got in I doubt things would be much rosier,incompetent the lot.

Nope, debts of 80-90 bn taken from the banks at a discounted price. Banks write off the remaining difference, if it works like the Swedish system the taxpayer should see a profit from the transaction. Unlikely in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

She was poor IMO. I think Richard Bruton spoke well with valid points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 General Strife

Nope, debts of 80-90 bn taken from the banks at a discounted price. Banks write off the remaining difference, if it works like the Swedish system the taxpayer should see a profit from the transaction. Unlikely in my opinion.

Very true, I believe the Swedish bailout was tied to being able to devalue their currency at the same time. Something we cannot do.

Article on Swedish banks in NY Times:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/23/business/worldbusiness/23krona.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I like Joan Burton, she gets in with the people, not just the better off but really seems to try understand what people need and how even little cuts affect them. I am not very into politics but she was one of the very few politicians I could recognise as she was prominent in the community.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Didn't hear it fully. From what I did hear she seemed to be more asking questions and comparing stuff rather. Not really hitting them very hard. Think that Richard Bruton is much better in this area and I would trust him more. Found his speech excellent and hit the points well. Bigger impact and an excellent speech.

OP; Don't forget there has been a lot more jobs people have lost with possibly a greater effect on our country. Waterford Crystal springs to mind - its not just job and pension losses but it will hit tourism very hard. Hits local and national tourism services hard. So its a larger effect on our country

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

She was spot on in everything she said. I thought she did a good job highlighting the scandalous hypocrisy of the government's actions over the last 6 months or so.

Who gives a f*ck what she looks like, comes across as etc. Some people are sheep, honestly.

Edit: I liked the way she singled out Bertie Ahern for a lot of criticim. Lest we forget that conniving snake.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

My understanding that 80-90bn is the maximum exposure to the tax payer. Either the debts are larger than this and will be written down, or else they will only be taking underperforming commercial and development loans from AIB & BOI. This latter is my reading of it.

So the Anglo debts, and private bad debts are not included in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Rossibaby wrote: »
    Who cares how she delivers it, it is the content that matters. Maybe if the content was more of a concern to people we'd have a different government in place. Having said that if Labour or FG got in I doubt things would be much rosier,incompetent the lot.

Unfortunately your typical fickle voter will care about the delivery. Her points may have been excellent, but I'd say it went over half the heads of those watching because her speech was slightly lacking in drive and purpose. Unfortunately the fickle voter is swayed more by the charismatic but full of hot air politicians, lets not forget who they let off the hook in the last general election.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sully wrote: »

OP; Don't forget there has been a lot more jobs people have lost with possibly a greater effect on our country. Waterford Crystal springs to mind - its not just job and pension losses but it will hit tourism very hard. Hits local and national tourism services hard. So its a larger effect on our country

She actually spoke about Waterford Crystal too amongst others. The reason I mentioned SR Technics is because it affects me on a personal level :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

She actually spoke about Waterford Crystal too amongst others. The reason I mentioned SR Technics is because it affects me on a personal level :)

Of course she did. Waterford folk are not happy with FF so someone had to jump on the bandwagon to get people to consider Labour. Its something they have been at for ages - focusing on issues that will get the electorate interested in them and is why they jumped up in the polls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Sully wrote: »
    Of course she did. Waterford folk are not happy with FF so someone had to jump on the bandwagon to get people to consider Labour. Its something they have been at for ages - focusing on issues that will get the electorate interested in them and is why they jumped up in the polls.

I'm not trying to be funny or anything, but couldn't that be said about any party, in any country? To me politics is a game of constant one-up-man-ship, with the opposition striking every time they smell blood off the ruling party. It's not so much about outlining the differences in policy in these debates but rather more about putting on a show for the people that are angry, so they can gain their support. Fine Gael have done as much bandwagoning as Labour IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Her deliverance was rambling at best. She does have a good understanding of the figures but she doesn't inspire in her speaking.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be funny or anything, but couldn't that be said about any party, in any country? To me politics is a game of constant one-up-man-ship, with the opposition striking every time they smell blood off the ruling party. It's not so much about outlining the differences in policy in these debates but rather more about putting on a show for the people that are angry, so they can gain their support. Fine Gael have done as much bandwagoning as Labour IMO.

I felt Labour were at this more then any other party, which is well known. Its been said on various political shows on TV and even on these forums. FG were more negative with no proposals. I think FG have pulled up their socks more and a slight increase in polls seems to suggest this. They need to continue on this and improve further.

Labour went down hill - possibly a mix of being to much a pain in the rear and dodging the bullet with questions on such shows.

I am a fan of both FG and Labour. I would give them my vote in both general and local elections no problem. I just felt, Joan especially, they did far to much shouting, bandwagon jumping, winging and less proposal making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Spoke very well imo.

Glad she brought up the SR Technics debacle. My dad lost his job there after 25 years service and where were the Government? Busy bailing out the banks and the other suits :rolleyes:

Not a hint of contingency plan for that or any of the other major jobs cuts.

What do you propose the government should have done?

Advertisement