Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protesting Ciggy increases

Options
  • 07-04-2009 6:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

Everyone else gets to protest, why don't we smokers come out in droves? They're taxing our addiction to utter absurdity. I took up tobacco rolling last year to counter the cost, I'd reccomend all do that. But still, I don't even know how much its gone up by because there seems to be some conflicting information, but price increase after price increase all we do is moan rather than do anything. Shouldn't we do something???

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Denerick wrote: »
    Shouldn't we do something???
    Be less callow and give up?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

Go on strike and refuse to smoke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

After watching some self righteous harpee on TV3 talking about how little the price increase was... Honestly, people like that should be strung up. Now I'm so agitated I'm dying for a smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Grow your own tobacco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Everyone else gets to protest, why don't we smokers come out in droves? They're taxing our addiction to utter absurdity. I took up tobacco rolling last year to counter the cost, I'd reccomend all do that. But still, I don't even know how much its gone up by because there seems to be some conflicting information, but price increase after price increase all we do is moan rather than do anything. Shouldn't we do something???
    At the end of the day, as a smoker myself, you simply cant go and protest about something that
    A: is woeful for your mental or physical health
    B: brings money to the country , where people doing the "right" thing(not smoking) dont have to pay.

You can thank your lucky stars for the North, otherwise we'd be paying alot more.

On saying all that a funny image of 10,000 people walking down the street , all with fags in hands with a big cloud of smoke over them just came to mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,407 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Cheap Ryanair flight, and load up

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

With all the sad things and bad news going on in this country, the plight of antisocial bowsies smokers is not high on the list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

the auld rollies are grand once ya get use of them. least one does not have to put up with the causal smoker. funny observations when a scrounger, sorry stranger, looks down on one when they are kind enough to give in to their request for a smoke/fag.

still what annoys me is, if fags go up, how come the booze is not touched.i know years ago many TDs were publicans and frequent patrons but how many are still there now? its not like cigarrettes are responsible for the violence that occurs during the weekend.

we have our smoking areas, now what else do these sensitive lung types want, our blood? look all joking a side, we are aware of the severe dangers of cancer etc, but sure we can get that even without smoking. we will die one day, can we not have at least our god damn dignity to light one up.

the amount of chewing gum and food stores that are going to do well? l

Robbo wrote: »
    Be less callow and give up?

NEVER ! NEVER! NEVER!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

still what annoys me is, if fags go up, how come the booze is not touched.l
    Cynical sort that I am, I'd say it's because this increase has nothing to do with nudging people towards stopping - it's about as small an increase that could have been made apart from a non-increase. It's because you're far more likely to have a few beers less a week if that went up instead. This one's solely a money-raiser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

sceptre wrote: »
    It's because you're far more likely to have a few beers less a week if that went up instead.

The FF TDs-that-are-publicans would hate that, that's for sure!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Find a way to cure your addiction (I did, it's called quitting) and you could save yourself up to and over €60 p/w.

Do something???...give them up and you won't have to whinge about paying an extra 25%....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

www.tobaccoonline.co.uk

i've been buying mine here since september

43Euro fpr 200 including postage, and youre not breaking any laws, read the small print ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭SeanW

Why don't you quit smoking? We've known for certain since the 1970s that tobacco smoking causes cancer and other ill health effects, and is addictive ... why so many people still do it I will never understand.

It has been truthfully said that "Living well is the best revenge" (George Herbert). Something for peed off smokers to keep in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

marcsignal wrote: »
    www.tobaccoonline.co.uk

43Euro fpr 200 including postage, and youre not breaking any laws, read the small print ;)
    Deadly. Never even thought about buying em online.

SeanW wrote: »
    Why don't you quit smoking?

well you're dead right SeanW, in all seriousness, i have it in mind to quit tbh, but in the meantime i don't want to be ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

marcsignal wrote: »
    www.tobaccoonline.co.uk

this is tempting but i'd be worried about getting caught by customs or something - i'm searching the t+c's but i'm confused - how is it NOT breaking the law???:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

artyeva wrote: »
    this is tempting but i'd be worried about getting caught by customs or something - i'm searching the t+c's but i'm confused - how is it NOT breaking the law???:confused:
    There is bound to be a way around it. Maybe the money you are giving them is a donation to keep the site going and they are sending you the smokes as a "present" or some crap like that.

Why don't you quit smoking? We've known for certain since the 1970s that tobacco smoking causes cancer and other ill health effects, and is addictive ... why so many people still do it I will never understand.

It has been truthfully said that "Living well is the best revenge" (George Herbert). Something for peed off smokers to keep in mind.

Look, this is an attitude I dispise.

Smokers smoke because they get a little enjoyment from it. They know themselves the logical thing to do is to quit. But we smoke anyway. Just like people eat nineteen Dairy Milks in one sitting, or who drink a flagging of Jameson just before they hit town - They do these things because they get enjoyment from them. Is it wise? Of course not, and yes we all should give them up, just like we all should quit drinking and eat nothing but carrots all day long. But frankly a bad habit is a bad habit, we all have them in one way or the other. If you eat crisps regularly apparantly your chances of getting cancer are greatly increased. If you remain over 20 stone for a serious amount of time your chances of getting heart disease, and all manner of obesity related illnesses skyrocket. If you drink too much your brain may shrivel and die, you may get a stroke or a heart attack.

So yes, everyone is aware that everyone has terrible habits. Its just a pity that smokers are always singled out.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Find a way to cure your addiction (I did, it's called quitting) and you could save yourself up to and over €60 p/w.

Do something???...give them up and you won't have to whinge about paying an extra 25%....

does anyone remember teh mad cap campaign during 1997-1999 specially based on teenagers to give up booze (or not to start - lol) and smoking. some of the mad cap ideas, (bearing in mind this is ireland, were resources are not very good) included going absailing (thats great, but can one do that every weekend? maybe the fiachras, siobhans and cabaistes of the world could), mountain climbing etc.

some people like smoking (i know you are aware of that) for some, its there only vice/enjoyment. what smokers are simply saying it that its unfair that their habit, consistently is being hit when there are other vices like betting, booze etc that could be tapped a small bit.

I do understand taxing booze would cause a lot of jobs in the catering / pub industry etc, and i understand hiking up the booze would led to a break over the boarder. but its getting really unfair.

well feck them, i for one shall continue smoking.....

ladies and gentlement, i thank you:D

• Advertisement

how many road fatalities are caused by tobacco smoking?

how many fights on the streets each weekend? (with the exception of some scanger asking for a light/smoke)

how many families have being damaged via domestic violence by simply tobacco smoking?

how many people have fell into states of depression etc, due to their tobacco smoking?

yes, smoking is a bad habit, yes it can often not only cause problems for the smokers health but also to others who the smoker is being inconsiderate to. but there are worse matters plauging the country and damn all is done about them, even moderately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jusk

destroyer wrote: »
    Go on strike and refuse to smoke.

A Lucky Strike?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭SeanW

Look, this is an attitude I dispise.

Smokers smoke because they get a little enjoyment from it.
    Yeah, in much the same way that a heroin addict gets "a little enjoyment" from sticking himself with needles. Doesn't make it any less insane. And BTW not all non-smokers do the things you mentioned below, there are other things that people do for enjoyment, trainspotting, fishing, sailing, car modding, motorcycling, listening to music, and other hobbies. You don't have to smoke, get plastered or eat 19 Milkybars in one go to have a good time.
    So yes, everyone is aware that everyone has terrible habits. Its just a pity that smokers are always singled out.
    That's because smokers suffer from an addiction, the continuance of which is logically indefensible.
    some people like smoking (i know you are aware of that) for some, its there only vice/enjoyment.
    Some people also like "shooting" heroin.
    well feck them, i for one shall continue smoking.....
    If you really want to smoke well, fair enough. But don't expect a heap of sympathy from people who do not share your addiction, people who never took a cigarette and are happy they're not missing anything as a result.

It remains the fact that the strongest statement you can make about this tax, is to stop paying it.

All we are saying is that we're sick of constantly being targeted with every budget. It makes matters worse when all the newspapers ever comment on is that 'Irish blah blah blah society is outraged that cigarette prices weren't raised to 10euro a pack... Won't someone please think of the children!'

Honestly, we are easy targets and its unfair. Thats all I'm saying. The self righteous pricks who feel they have a 'responsibility' to 'remind' people that its bad for you can go to hell frankly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

All we are saying is that we're sick of constantly being targeted with every budget. It makes matters worse when all the newspapers ever comment on is that 'Irish blah blah blah society is outraged that cigarette prices weren't raised to 10euro a pack... Won't someone please think of the children!'

Honestly, we are easy targets and its unfair. Thats all I'm saying. The self righteous pricks who feel they have a 'responsibility' to 'remind' people that its bad for you can go to hell frankly.

who will pay for your healtcare when you grow older and succumb to a wide range of diseases due to smoking?

yep thats right the taxpayer

yee should be taxed to hell or made illegal to get any healthcare even if you are about to die in a public hospital in this country

so stfu and be happy that its only 25cents more, yee people are costing this country millions (if not billions)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

(disclaimer ex-Smoker, but still smoke a bit when I'm in cheaper countries on holidays).

The ASH bloke pisses me off totally.
    I remember 3 years ago his complaint was that 'it was a disgrace' that cigarettes here were cheaper than the UK, despite the fact that this actually made us the second dearest in Europe.

Now through a combination of a succession of 50c/75c yearly budget increases and currency fluctuations we now actually are dearer than the UK, and thus I believe the dearest in Europe.

And still he's bleating on and on about what a disgrace the price of cigarettes are.
    He would do his cause a lot more good if he gave credit to the goverment for what they've actually done.
    Personally I'd love it if the media outlets had the guts just to totally ignore his fax which inevitably must arrive about 10 minutes after every budget.
    He seems to get media attention totally out of proportion to what he deserves.

ionix5891 wrote: »
    who will pay for your healtcare when you grow older and succumb to a wide range of diseases due to smoking?

yep thats right the taxpayer

yee should be taxed to hell or made illegal to get any healthcare even if you are about to die in a public hospital in this country

so stfu and be happy that its only 25cents more, yee people are costing this country millions (if not billions)

right adolf!

dont confuse the smoker with the ordinary scrounger/slacker. you'd swear smokers never have, nor never will be liable to tax, be it vat, income etc

i suppose we should give up using the heavy on the petrol cars and get the rusty bikes out, or turn off the emerssion and lights.

or maybe cut down on the fast food and buckets of alcohol at the weekend?

i believe the smoker is paying quiete a far share of tax unlike certain members of high society.

you do realise that at least a third of the time, patients did not have to go in to hospital. will please someone provide the stats as to the highest cause of cancer in ireland. i dont know about you, but unfortunately most people i know who have suffered or suffer cancer never smoked in their life.

anyway

heil!

Thanks for that!

There is a perception that if you smoke you are destined to die at fifty with no blood left and a heart just about to explode. With about 10 tumors running about you. Even if that were true, we're paying enough tax to have 10 special smoking related illness hospitals. I think some of the more ignorant posts here don't seem to realise we tax our ciggys more than anywhere else in Europe, and prices are kept artifically high for the sake of the children. I suppose the individuals free choice is a distant memory. All hail the wisdom and benevolence of the state! Only she, the great nanny, may decide what I do when I get up in the morning.

While we're at it, lets tax the hell out of people who use pavements. After all, its people like that who cross the road which lead to so many road fatalities in this country. And swimmers too. Think of all the ambulance crews who have had to rush to Lakes to save drowning people?

Yeah, in much the same way that a heroin addict gets "a little enjoyment" from sticking himself with needles. Doesn't make it any less insane. And BTW not all non-smokers do the things you mentioned below, there are other things that people do for enjoyment, trainspotting, fishing, sailing, car modding, motorcycling, listening to music, and other hobbies. You don't have to smoke, get plastered or eat 19 Milkybars in one go to have a good time.

That's because smokers suffer from an addiction, the continuance of which is logically indefensible.

Some people also like "shooting" heroin.

If you really want to smoke well, fair enough. But don't expect a heap of sympathy from people who do not share your addiction, people who never took a cigarette and are happy they're not missing anything as a result.

It remains the fact that the strongest statement you can make about this tax, is to stop paying it.

for the love of god. how many people do you actually think or know who "shoot" up herion. bloody hell its not like its like for like, now is it ? (maybe you should not bother answering that)

one question. would you have a problem if they put up the price on say another potentially highly addictive drug like say.... alcohol? take the fact that alot of jobs are tied to this industry, state why, if you have a problem with it, that price should say; considering, alcohol does some quiete obvious and clear damage to the public at oh say saturday night-sunday morning all over the country, particularily in abbra - be careful you might see someone shooting up

i am not asking for sympathy by the way, i dont think anyone is. smokers are grown ups, i am sure a majority of them can stand by their actions. "my addiction", i was feeling sorry for sounding tw*tty to you up above, but sod it, you make it sound like some smarmy little c**t - jesus you make it sound like smokers are scumbags.

if smokers are inconsiderate and smoke in front of or at non smokers fair enough, that is scumbaggery. but you look at all the smoking areas in pubs and clubs - a fair deal of them are causal scroungers sorry smokers.

anyway most of what you are saying is fair point

peace

• Advertisement

artyeva wrote: »

You pay the duty in Spain (AFAIK) the parcel is listed as a gift, I dunno how that works legally (technically speaking) but I've bought 200 every fortnight or thereabouts since september last, and the parcel has never been intercepted. now that could just be just luck.

the other alternative is to get someone you know in europe to send them to you, but to remove them from the carton, and repack them in a different shape. I understand that the dimensions of the original carton/parcel usually give the game away.

Advertisement