Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping the Flow of Irish Money to the North

Options
  • 07-04-2009 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I am baffled - the Minister is talking about saving €100M here and €187M there, but what was there in that Budget to would put a stop to the flow of Irish money flowing into Northern Ireland every week?

What incentive is there to encourage the Irish shopper to shop in an Irish shop? Instead there is added incentive to go North or to shop on the internet.

How much money do we would need to loose to the North, how many more Irish jobs do we need to loose before the Government realise that money leaving the State is much worse than the cost of a Job Seekers Allowance or Childcare Supplement?

We need to re-evaluate the two economies that exist on our small island - one of which will continue to thrive on our money. Anyone that goes to shop there, I say well done - follow that bargain.

Would a reduction in the VAT rates have done anything? Are the Irish retailers mature enough to pass on reductions in VAT to the consumer? Would revenue to the Exchequer increase with an increase in motor sales from a VRT reduction?

Instead of Irish shoppers going outside the State to get that bargain, let's learn from the experience and change the market into one where the shoppers coming flocking to our state.

Yes I have loads of questions that the Government should be asking and providing a solution for. Not me !!:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Many, lots of retailers are still ripping consumers off. I have no sympathy for them. I applaude people who are going North to shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

There will be more going up north now and I don't blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think they should have at least undone the last VAT raise from the previous budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The other issue that no one seems to be speaking about is the fact that all of this money being taken out in increases taxes/levies is also being directly taken out of the economy. This is money that people cannot spend.

How is this supposed to stimulate the economy ?

FF has has shot themselves in both feet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

I have lost to date about 300 a month after today. I am going to the north for the first time this weekend and I intend to buy enough stuff to offset this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Well it's pretty much the case now that we (my family and I) are down so much money that we will struggle to pay everything. As such, my duty to provide for my family means that I will have to shop up north on a regular basis now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

I feel the need to save what Lenihan took off me. To save some of this i'll be taking some trips up North

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Think they should have at least undone the last VAT raise from the previous budget.

It's difficult to change tax rates in the middle of a tax year.

That's why we didn't see PAYE or PRSI increases

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Every penny a person spends up North costs our economy dearly. Which means it costs the spender money.

It's impossible to justify on a macro scale, but at the end of the day, everyone can justify it to themselves at an individual level.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Dummy wrote: »
    I am baffled - the Minister is talking about saving €100M here and €187M there, but what was there in that Budget to would put a stop to the flow of Irish money flowing into Northern Ireland every week?

What incentive is there to encourage the Irish shopper to shop in an Irish shop? Instead there is added incentive to go North or to shop on the internet.

How much money do we would need to loose to the North, how many more Irish jobs do we need to loose before the Government realise that money leaving the State is much worse than the cost of a Job Seekers Allowance or Childcare Supplement?

We need to re-evaluate the two economies that exist on our small island - one of which will continue to thrive on our money. Anyone that goes to shop there, I say well done - follow that bargain.

Would a reduction in the VAT rates have done anything? Are the Irish retailers mature enough to pass on reductions in VAT to the consumer? Would revenue to the Exchequer increase with an increase in motor sales from a VRT reduction?

Instead of Irish shoppers going outside the State to get that bargain, let's learn from the experience and change the market into one where the shoppers coming flocking to our state.

Yes I have loads of questions that the Government should be asking and providing a solution for. Not me !!:mad:

I think its because the Dept of Finance are betting on the U.K. upping their rate to 19%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

People going up north is a rotten symptom of this situation we've been handed. If you want our economy to recover, you'll spend your money here and forget about the north.

Buy Irish. Keep the money here and do our bit, however small, to get back on the rails.

Idealistic but fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

only for the north i would hardly be able to feed and clothe my family. and the sad fact of the matter is lots more people will be heading to the north after what Lenihan and co. did to our children today.
    A certain uk chain (childrens shop) which was in bother a few months ago is now charging the sterling price, in the republic :D
    People who are unemployed or on reduced hours now have the time to make the journey and shop around for the bargains.
    Maybe we should just go back to the mainland seeing as we are paying the queens taxes :eek:

The other issue that no one seems to be speaking about is the fact that all of this money being taken out in increases taxes/levies is also being directly taken out of the economy. This is money that people cannot spend.

How is this supposed to stimulate the economy ?

FF has has shot themselves in both feet again.
    That's just it, take money from the people now for a so called "quick fix" but in the long term you will see a big decrease in revenue.

VAT needed to come down badly, why they didn't is beyond me. There is nothing in this budget to stimulate the economy, instead they have made things worse and we will now see more people going north, tightening their belts and more unemployment.

This government don't have a clue and are completely out of touch with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Jimbo wrote: »
    It's difficult to change tax rates in the middle of a tax year.

That's why we didn't see PAYE or PRSI increases

They changed the VAT in the middle of a tax year last year (not really the middle, just the last month)

How hard would it be to do the same thing but lower it instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Jah Luff

People going up north is a rotten symptom of this situation we've been handed. If you want our economy to recover, you'll spend your money here and forget about the north.

Buy Irish. Keep the money here and do our bit, however small, to get back on the rails.

Idealistic but fact.

How can I afford to shop here if i was strugging to surive on 200 a week now its 100 a week? wtf am i supposed to buy now with my -100 euro? I hope this goverment burns to the floor.

Every penny a person spends up North costs our economy dearly. Which means it costs the spender money.

It's impossible to justify on a macro scale, but at the end of the day, everyone can justify it to themselves at an individual level.

Whats left in my pocket will justify it.

**** it, i think im going to start thinking about going abroad for good now too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Arguably it is every citizen's patriotic duty to shop in northern ireland, the uk or wherever they can get cheaper goods. Otherwise we will never regain competitiveness. Unless people shop around our country is going nowhere fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Idealistic but fact.

Give us the money to afford the high prices here then. We cannot spend money we do not have in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 skybus

Was up the North recently myself. First time going up for shopping purposes and more out of curiosity. I would say 9 out of every 10 cars attempting to park in Sainsbury's in Newry were Southern Reg cars. Did the equivalent of our weekly shop with a little more. A comparison when I came home showed a saving of at least 80 euros. Take 15 at most out for petrol and the saving is 65 euros for a few hours out. Bear in mind it's practically a free for all in the supermarket where patience is certainly required. From where I was standing it looked like most were regulars as they seemed well used to the carnage. Personally I shall be going again.

Arguably it is every citizen's patriotic duty to shop in northern ireland, the uk or wherever they can get cheaper goods. Otherwise we will never regain competitiveness. Unless people shop around our country is going nowhere fast.
    It's not going anywhere fast with this government.

All the crying they done before and after Xmas about the people being unpatriotic and shopping up north, and yet again they've now sent even more to go up north. When are they going to cop on and realise they need to cut prices, taxes and VAT :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Idealistic but fact.

And not realistic,much smaller world now, with the net we can buy from anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

They changed the VAT in the middle of a tax year last year (not really the middle, just the last month)

How hard would it be to do the same thing but lower it instead

VAT is easy to change - it's a simple rate change in a retail ppoint of sale system. Paye etc is much more difficult as it involves bands allowances etc.

I agree. Its because of all those people going North the last 6 months that shops are starting to cop on in Dublin. The more people that go North the more the rip-off shops cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I was amazed, I was in both Sligo and Eniskillen today, Sligo was deserted, Eniskillen was like a Christmas eve rush hour, packed out, the shopping centre was very busy, it took over 30 mins just to get over the bridge and park up at Tesco!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Ah balls Camperman. On a weekday like Tuesday, Ennisk been packed is really an eyeopener.
    It does be usually packed non-Newry style on weekends but from your post its gonna be Newry style from now on everyday.

As a poster says above, this budget is encouraging more to go up..

gurramok wrote: »
    Ah balls Camperman. On a weekday like Tuesday, Ennisk been packed is really an eyeopener.
    It does be usually packed non-Newry style on weekends but from your post its gonna be Newry style from now on everyday.

As a poster says above, this budget is encouraging more to go up..

Seriously, it was jammed, and what really is a shame is the way Sligo is going in decline with major shops closing and this government won't do a thing to stop this decline!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Jah Luff wrote: »
    How can I afford to shop here if i was strugging to surive on 200 a week now its 100 a week? wtf am i supposed to buy now with my -100 euro? I hope this goverment burns to the floor.

So youre under 20? I completely support this move. It stops school leavers going straight on the dole and not bothering to look for a job. I dont know your situation but it was the proper thing to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

im going up the north next tuesday. been saving for the trip. im getting
    furniture in ikea
    ipod touch 32 gb
    50 inch tv
    region free sony dvd player
    onkyo amp in richersounds
    pioneer car radio
    nintendo wii
    sony vaio laptop with all the best trimmings.
    dog food/toiletries for the year.
    i dont drink or smoke myself but my friends are giving me a list.
    staying the night in a hotel with herself too.

borrowed my dads opel combi van for the trip.
    ireland are not getting a cent of it.
    whats worse is the missus will prob take up half the van with ****e of her own.
    **** lenihan

we buy all our food in the south and electrical goods, clothing, books, magazines, DVDs, CD's etc. in the north

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

im going up the north next tuesday. been saving for the trip. im getting
    furniture in ikea
    ipod touch 32 gb
    50 inch tv
    region free sony dvd player
    onkyo amp in richersounds
    pioneer car radio
    nintendo wii
    sony vaio laptop with all the best trimmings.
    dog food/toiletries for the year.
    i dont drink or smoke myself but my friends are giving me a list.
    staying the night in a hotel with herself too.

borrowed my dads opel combi van for the trip.
    ireland are not getting a cent of it.
    whats worse is the missus will prob take up half the van with ****e of her own.
    **** lenihan

My heart bleeds, the recession is really effecting you.

Advertisement