Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping the Flow of Irish Money to the North

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

K-9 wrote: »
    Because if somebody does something freely, of free mind, they also shouldn't absolve themselves of the consequences, even if it's only €700 Million!

So, do you support people shopping outside ROI or not?

Yes or no will suffice, you're not in the Dail now to evade the answer :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

gurramok wrote: »
    So, do you support people shopping outside ROI or not?

Yes or no will suffice, you're not in the Dail now to evade the answer :D;)

What do you think from all my replies on this thread?

Take a guess.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Not sure about this reducing VAT thing. It didn't really work in the UK. People are more worried about more important things than a couple of % in VAT.

I think you're missing the point.

it's "working" in the uk as in more people are going to the north because it got even cheaper than it was.

the couple of % in VAT added to an all ready overpriced product it can be enough to push people

and as someone all ready pointed out 700m is change behind the couch when you look at the overall wastage that's going on in the public sector.

most people don't go out of their way to buy irish.

When I was a kid going shopping the only non irish product in the trolly ever was mustard.

so they're not buying irish produce

the workers in the shops are not irish.

the chains are mostly british owned.

So I don't mind being lectured by people as long as they do the following

buy in an irish store.

buy only irish produce.

don't buy -anything- _ever_ online unless from an irish retailer etc

drink irish beer.

buy irish clothes.

if you don't do all the above

then you're one of those who pick and choose when it suits them to be patriotic and in turn have no right to comment on others patriotism

What do you think from all my replies on this thread?

Take a guess.

You're against shopping in NI.
    Nothing to do with me knowing the 80's and what this does to border areas neither

Me Feinism and selfishness will use anything to defend itself.

I'm sure people will not be moaning when unemployment figures and taxes are rising.

Not my fault, no sir, in NO way whatsoever, was it my fault.

You're criticism of those shoppers is unwarranted. You want to support Irish based shops by paying the high prices here no matter what the person's financial position is, even when money is tight.

Thats a small minded view. People have a right to shop where they want to get best value. I take it you're opposed to British retailers and MNC's based here who repatriate their profits?

Just lets hope you do not stray over the border from Donegal and spend that sterling!

ntlbell wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point.

it's "working" in the uk as in more people are going to the north because it got even cheaper than it was.

No, you are. The North is a tiny part of the UK economy. It has not worked in the UK.

The sterling exchange difference is "working" for NI.
    ntlbell wrote:
    the couple of % in VAT added to an all ready overpriced product it can be enough to push people

It was a half a % increase, in times of deflation.
    ntlbell wrote:
    and as someone all ready pointed out 700m is change behind the couch when you look at the overall wastage that's going on in the public sector.

Hardly? It's self justification.
    ntlbell wrote:
    When I was a kid going shopping the only non irish product in the trolly ever was mustard.

so they're not buying irish produce

the workers in the shops are not irish.

the chains are mostly british owned.

Workers not Irish? Huh? What has that got to do with it?

Obviously some are British owned, but if you can't see the difference what Tesco in Letterkenny contributes to the economy over Tesco in Derry, well..............

ntlbell wrote:
    buy in an irish store.

buy only irish produce.

don't buy -anything- _ever_ online unless from an irish retailer etc

drink irish beer.

buy irish clothes.

if you don't do all the above

then you're one of those who pick and choose when it suits them to be patriotic and in turn have no right to comment on others patriotism

Irish music too?

I'd buy as much Irish goods as possible, within reason.

I think you know well the difference but have obviously chosen an extreme example to use as a strawman and feel self justified.

PS. Never mentioned patriotism. I'm more worried about taxes and unemployment.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

You're against shopping in NI.

You're criticism of those shoppers is unwarranted. You want to support Irish based shops by paying the high prices here no matter what the person's financial position is, even when money is tight.

No, shop around, there is decent value here. I don't expect the exact same prices as NI though, I expect reasonable differences.
    gurramok wrote:
    Thats a small minded view. People have a right to shop where they want to get best value.

YEP, I thought my free will and responsibility bit covered that? No?
    gurramok wrote:
    I take it you're opposed to British retailers and MNC's based here who repatriate their profits?

I'd prefer they didn't but they do contribute more to our economy, than say Tesco in NI. Though good point, shop in Dunnes in Derry!:D
    gurramok wrote:
    Just lets hope you do not stray over the border from Donegal and spend that sterling!

Free will !

No, you are. The North is a tiny part of the UK economy. It has not worked in the UK.

sterling + VAT

and a half % decrease in the uk so you save 1% more by shopping in the north?

When people see their current taxes been wasted why would they be encouraged to give more? they don't see it as going to create jobs they see it as paying for an awful public service?

The majority of workers in tesco et all around newry are irish?
    Obviously some are British owned, but if you can't see the difference what Tesco in Letterkenny contributes to the economy over Tesco in Derry, well..............

I see the difference the difference isn't enough to justify it tho, you eithier choose to shop irish or you don't you can't half do it right and claim others are wrong.

Irish music too?

irish anything

I buy in ROI within reason, it's the within reason that's the problem, you're choosing when to and when not to and moaning at others for nothing do it you eithier do or you don't and if it's "within reason" then you don't
    I think you know well the difference but have obviously chosen an extreme example to use as a strawman and feel self justified.

I'm just presenting some facts. You eithier buy irish or you don't

and if you don't then don't be judging others for doing EXACTLY the same thing.

I'm worried about where my taxes are going and why are hard workers in the private sector are out of work and nothings being done to help them while we spend billions on the public sector

we're on the same side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

most people don't go out of their way to buy irish.

Irish music too?

I think you know well the difference but have obviously chosen an extreme example use as a strawman and feel self justified.

i believe the republics economy very much depends on the sterling v euro-most of ireland exports is to the uk 60%,at this moment in time. retailers in the uk are turning to uk farmers they are now cheeper ,the second largest income for the republic is in tourism ,most of the tourists come from the uk ex/pats ect-the tourist industry is in a panic ,no one in the uk can afford to go to ireland-dispite all the tv advertising,so untill sterling strengthens the irish republic will stay flat,so in one way if you spend money in the north you may in the long term help the irish economy-as well as live cheeper yourself-[go on tell me i am talking from my ar...]

No, shop around, there is decent value here. I don't expect the exact same prices as NI though, I expect reasonable differences.

Where?

I've checked my 2 major supermarkets Tesco, Dunnes who have price matched to the cent for years with zero competition.
    Superquinn, Centra, Supervalu, Fresh, Mace...the rest are all overpriced.

Lidl and Aldi do not supply what i eat so i have no choice but to shop up north for value on my groceries which are 50% cheaper.

Funny this, Riverock is 48p in Tesco, Ennisk for a 500ml bottle, just guess how much it is down here.
    I'd prefer they didn't but they do contribute more to our economy, than say Tesco in NI. Though good point, shop in Dunnes in Derry!:D

Even Dunnes is more expensive than Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys up north but are cheaper than Dunnes down here. Irony.

I do buy Irish goods when up there where possible. So i am supporting Irish jobs down here, you see, it ain't all that bad ;)

sterling + VAT

and a half % decrease in the uk so you save 1% more by shopping in the north?

It was 2.5% drop in the North I think. It will be back up later in the year. It's only a temporary measure and it has been considered a failure for the UK. The UK didin't care about NI when the Northerners were spending loads out here and they don't really count much now either.

ntlbell wrote:
    When people see their current taxes been wasted why would they be encouraged to give more? they don't see it as going to create jobs they see it as paying for an awful public service?

They'll always be wasted. If it isn't Public service, others will point to SW, foreign nationals etc.

ntlbell wrote:
    The majority of workers in tesco et all around newry are irish?

Are they?

ntlbell wrote:
    I see the difference the difference isn't enough to justify it tho, you eithier choose to shop irish or you don't you can't half do it right and claim others are wrong.

No you picked an extreme and maybe even unattainable example to strawman.
    ntlbell wrote:
    I buy in ROI within reason, it's the within reason that's the problem, you're choosing when to and when not to and moaning at others for nothing do it you eithier do or you don't and if it's "within reason" then you don't

I'm just presenting some facts. You eithier buy irish or you don't

and if you don't then don't be judging others for doing EXACTLY the same thing.

It isn't EXACTLY the same as well you know. Tesco in Newry is not the same as Tesco in Dundalk even though Martin McGuinness would like to pretend otherwise.
    ntlbell wrote:
    I'm worried about where my taxes are going and why are hard workers in the private sector are out of work and nothings being done to help them while we spend billions on the public sector

we're on the same side.

It's got nothing to do with the Public Sector. You mean if it was perfect and idyllic, those £ signs still wouldn't lure you. Come on, self justification it is!

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    i believe the republics economy very much depends on the sterling v euro-most of ireland exports is to the uk 60%,at this moment in time. retailers in the uk are turning to uk farmers they are now cheeper ,the second largest income for the republic is in tourism ,most of the tourists come from the uk ex/pats ect-the tourist industry is in a panic ,no one in the uk can afford to go to ireland-dispite all the tv advertising,so untill sterling strengthens the irish republic will stay flat,so in one way if you spend money in the north you may in the long term help the irish economy-as well as live cheeper yourself-[go on tell me i am talking from my ar...]

LOL, On the 60%, yes. I think it used to be that much but it has reduced substantially recently, or more accurately, other markets have grown. You have any figures on it?

I accept the points on Sterling, it is tough on exporters at the minute, though I suppose we benefited for a long time too.
    Where?

I've checked my 2 major supermarkets Tesco, Dunnes who have price matched to the cent for years with zero competition.
    Superquinn, Centra, Supervalu, Fresh, Mace...the rest are all overpriced.

Lidl and Aldi do not supply what i eat so i have no choice but to shop up north for value on my groceries which are 50% cheaper.

Funny this, Riverock is 48p in Tesco, Ennisk for a 500ml bottle, just guess how much it is down here.

Even Dunnes is more expensive than Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys up north but are cheaper than Dunnes down here. Irony.

I do buy Irish goods when up there where possible. So i am supporting Irish jobs down here, you see, it ain't all that bad ;)

I've noticed things are cheaper here in the last few months. Big competition in offers between the shops. I'm not knocking anybody who does shop in the North, but I think to ignore the consequences is naieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

People going up north is a rotten symptom of this situation we've been handed. If you want our economy to recover, you'll spend your money here and forget about the north.

Buy Irish. Keep the money here and do our bit, however small, to get back on the rails.

Idealistic but fact.

Tough.

I've been cut €200 a month by my employer and now another €100 by the State.

I'm going to recoup that by whatever means are at my disposal.

Until Fianna Fail take their head out of their backsides me and thousands of others will do their damnedest to get even. If FF's mates who have been ripping us off for years go under then tough again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

K4t wrote: »
    Many, lots of retailers are still ripping consumers off. I have no sympathy for them. I applaude people who are going North to shop.

My post is a teeny bit OT but still relevant. I spotted a dress in a boutique here in lovely ROI last Saturday. It cost €600.00 and the woman in the shop refused point blank to discuss a discount. My mum had taken the name of the designer, as soon as got home went onto Net. Same dress available in Australia (where designer is from) and UK for €250.00 incl post. The very same dress is €350.00 cheaper from London even with Sterling change over.
    Why on earth would I support my local retailer when she is slapping such a huge margin onto the same item?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

jcbh wrote: »
    We need the tax revenue to stay in the South otherwise will will all end up have to pay more tax in the next budgets. What the government should do to slow down cross boarder shopping is put roadblocks 27*7 on the boarder, stop and search every car, truck and lorry. They will create tailbacks for 5-10 miles on every major cross point. They will not be able to confiscate anything but the delays this will cause will pi^% people off noend. Keep this up for a few months and people will soon get fed up and stop at home.

This is such an utterly insane suggestion that it beggars belief that anyone would make it.

Firstly, it would contravene the single market. Secondly, if this was even remotely contemplated by this miserable government then a full on campaign of civil disobedience at the very least would be justifiable.

Just as in the 1980s, the United Kingdom - let's not mince words here - is acting as our safety valve, this time for shopping if not yet employment. Wise up kids.

I've noticed things are cheaper here in the last few months. Big competition in offers between the shops. I'm not knocking anybody who does shop in the North, but I think to ignore the consequences is naieve.

I have not seen these competitive offers yet.

And you ignore the consequences of shopping around. Its the likes of me and the hordes of others getting value for money who are putting downward pressure on prices and its you who stays at home who benefits from our actions.

It was 2.5% drop in the North I think. It will be back up later in the year. It's only a temporary measure and it has been considered a failure for the UK. The UK didin't care about NI when the Northerners were spending loads out here and they don't really count much now either.

They'll always be wasted. If it isn't Public service, others will point to SW, foreign nationals etc.

Are they?

No you picked an extreme and maybe even unattainable example to strawman.

It isn't EXACTLY the same as well you know. Tesco in Newry is not the same as Tesco in Dundalk even though Martin McGuinness would like to pretend otherwise.

It's got nothing to do with the Public Sector. You mean if it was perfect and idyllic, those £ signs still wouldn't lure you. Come on, self justification it is!

I don't think you read most of my posts so I'll just reply to parts you seem to not be able to understand..

here i go..

If YOU (that's you personally)

Choose when and not you shop irish REGARDLESS of _where_ that shop is.

Then YOU are doing exactly the same as others

You're buying irish when it suits you as do i. WE do exactly the same thing.

get it?

I bought an irish house I paid stamp duty.

I work in ireland and pay ALL my taxes here.

I pay a fortune in DIRT.

I pay taxes when I fuel my car in ireland.

I pay taxes to put road tax on my car in ireland.

I pay taxes when I drink in ireland.

I usually go on at least one irish holiday.

am i not entitled to get a bit of poxy groceries at a reasonable price?

stop talking through zee bum or read the posts more carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

getz wrote: »

Talk about upside down logic! That is the best made up excuse yet to justify shopping in NI!

The NI economy is tiny compared to the rest of the UK. By saying that by shopping up there we will indirectly help our own economy is pie in the sky.

I don't think you read most of my posts so I'll just reply to parts you seem to not be able to understand..

here i go..

If YOU (that's you personally)

Choose when and not you shop irish REGARDLESS of _where_ that shop is.

Then YOU are doing exactly the same as others

You're buying irish when it suits you as do i. WE do exactly the same thing.

get it?

I bought an irish house I paid stamp duty.

I work in ireland and pay ALL my taxes here.

I pay a fortune in DIRT.

I pay taxes when I fuel my car in ireland.

I pay taxes to put road tax on my car in ireland.

I pay taxes when I drink in ireland.

I usually go on at least one irish holiday.

am i not entitled to get a bit of poxy groceries at a reasonable price?

stop talking through zee bum or read the posts more carefully.

So it wasn't about the public service at all, was it Ntlbell, that one is gone, unpatriotic, nope, some other points about workers not being Irish and another about Newry ones being Irish, some more diversionary posts to, now still on about some point about buying Irish to make you feel good, though you know its crap?

Think I've touched a nerve.

Agree with your above post. At last the truth, not some mumbo jumbo points for self justification.

Care to address the other points in your courteous manner?

So it wasn't about the public service at all, was it Ntlbell, that one is gone, unpatriotic, nope, some other points about workers not being Irish and another about Newry ones being Irish, some more diversionary posts to, now still on about some point about buying Irish to make you feel good, though you know its crap?

Think I've touched a nerve.

Agree with your above post. At last the truth, not some mumbo jumbo points for self justification.

Care to address the other points in your courteous manner?

Listen pet your not touching anyone's nerve's

I do what I have to do and others do what they have to do, I'm merely pointing out what might make someone shop up the north.

Now lets start of with the VAT.

If the total difference is 3% difference when you're on the breadline or nearing it over a year that 3% could mean a child getting new shoes for school or a mother being able to afford a uniform or it could be just enough for someone to say f*ck it i've had enough, for me personally it doesn't make much of a difference.

I never stated people go to ni out of being patriotic the point was if one doesn't buy irish and chooses as they please when and not to then there no better than anyone else they're doing what SUITS them? disco?

The point about workers being irish is very simple, you're concern is jobs.

A huge % of tesco/etc workers are low wage earners and are outside of the tax system.

So I personally would prefare to shop and keep an irish person in a job than keep a non national in one (both are outside the tax system in most cases)
    now you can call me a racist or nazi or whatever takes your fancy.

I don't buy irish to make me feel good where is this coming from? the point I was making which you continue to miss is your harping on about buying in ROI but you yourself don't buy irish? ding ding ding ding?

Overall I was providing what others might feel as justification, I don't see why they need to tho.

NI is Ireland in my eyes and I'm buying in ireland where irish workers are working and living.

apart from typing in large fonts and posting one lines per post I can't make it any easier for you

Listen pet your not touching anyone's nerve's
    :eek:

ntlbell wrote:
    I do what I have to do and others do what they have to do, I'm merely pointing out what might make someone shop up the north.

Well it is a thread on shopping in the North!
    ntlbell wrote:
    Now lets start of with the VAT.

If the total difference is 3% difference when you're on the breadline or nearing it over a year that 3% could mean a child getting new shoes for school or a mother being able to afford a uniform or it could be just enough for someone to say f*ck it i've had enough, for me personally it doesn't make much of a difference.

I accept that, but the exchange rate is the main difference. If the total price differences are as much as 50% as has been mentioned on this thread, 3% isn't going to make an iota of a difference. 50 or 47%, people are still going to go to the North.

Minor point, there is no VAT on childrens shoes!
    ntlbell wrote:
    I never stated people go to ni out of being patriotic the point was if one doesn't buy irish and chooses as they please when and not to then there no better than anyone else they're doing what SUITS them? disco?

I never brought it up either and I don't think anybody else did, which makes me wonder why you did? It still doesn't make any sense. It's simple really, you spend in Tesco in Letterkenny and the next week in Derry. Which gives more to the Irish economy?
    ntlbell wrote:
    The point about workers being irish is very simple, you're concern is jobs.

Yep and unemployment. NI employment doesn't affect the economy much, 26 counties unemployment does.
    ntlbell wrote:
    A huge % of tesco/etc workers are low wage earners and are outside of the tax system.

I see this point brought up regularly, often in relation to foreign nationals. Their employer pays PRSI and their wage contributes to the economy via rent/mortgage, spending etc. I'm sure when they're buying something, nobody thinks their money is worth less because they don't pay tax or PRSI.

PS. I think most people can see that having the second highest minimum wage in Europe but no tax or PRSI on it, was a mistake. On a similar wage in NI, they'd pay €50/60 easy. Still not really their fault.
    ntlbell wrote:
    So I personally would prefare to shop and keep an irish person in a job than keep a non national in one (both are outside the tax system in most cases)
    now you can call me a racist or nazi or whatever takes your fancy.

Do foreign nationals not work in NI? It's a strange logic though. You'd prefer to keep Irish nationals in employment so you spend your money in NI, thus giving the Queen, a foreign national, taxes.
    ntlbell wrote:
    I don't buy irish to make me feel good where is this coming from? the point I was making which you continue to miss is your harping on about buying in ROI but you yourself don't buy irish? ding ding ding ding?

Ah, so now we've gone from me not buying Irish all the time to never buying Irish.

You see, that is exactly why you brought that point up, to strawman and confuse. You brought that point up to make yourself feel good.

Sure he doesn't buy 100% Irish everything, so therefor it's the same thing. It isn't and you well know it.
    ntlbell wrote:
    Overall I was providing what others might feel as justification, I don't see why they need to tho.

Indeed and I'm just pointing out that the only reason is £ signs. Public service, nope, something about Irish workers, nope, sure I pay taxes, nope sure we all do etc. etc. The pound signs are the attraction, nothing else.
    ntlbell wrote:
    NI is Ireland in my eyes and I'm buying in ireland where irish workers are working and living.

I suppose when all else fails resort to the 32 county card! I agree with you btw. I prefer not to give my hard earned money to the Queen though! :cool:

ntlbell wrote:
    apart from typing in large fonts and posting one lines per post I can't make it any easier for you

Nah, your just getting frustrated because all your points are being countered, hence the attempts to be insulting. I'm laughing at the 32 County card. Surely must be the Godwin equivalent on this thread?

• Advertisement

Well it is a thread on shopping in the North!

Well spotted pet.

I accept that, but the exchange rate is the main difference. If the total price differences are as much as 50% as has been mentioned on this thread, 3% isn't going to make an iota of a difference. 50 or 47%, people are still going to go to the North.

Minor point, there is no VAT on childrens shoes!

i'm not trying to be funny but do you have ADD or something?

VAT on shoes is not the issue the point is if the mother buys her weekly/monthly shop in dunnes she might not have any money left to buy the shoes! VAT or no VAT! (priorities)
    I never brought it up either and I don't think anybody else did, which makes me wonder why you did? It still doesn't make any sense. It's simple really, you spend in Tesco in Letterkenny and the next week in Derry. Which gives more to the Irish economy?

ok I'll try really hard with this one.

K-9: I BUY IN ROI SO SHOULD YOU. (within reason)

NTL: I BUY IN ROI (within reason)

k-9: But I buy in ROI you buy in Derry

Do you see the problem here?

Yep and unemployment. NI employment doesn't affect the economy much, 26 counties unemployment does.

But most of the workers are from the ROI???

I see this point brought up regularly, often in relation to foreign nationals. Their employer pays PRSI and their wage contributes to the economy via rent/mortgage, spending etc. I'm sure when they're buying something, nobody thinks their money is worth less because they don't pay tax or PRSI.

of course not but what makes you think people who live in the ROI work in newry aren't paying rent their? or spending their money there?

Do foreign nationals not work in NI? It's a strange logic though. You'd prefer to keep Irish nationals in employment so you spend your money in NI, thus giving the Queen, a foreign national, taxes.

I haven't met one in anywhere I've shopped so far, just overly helpful Irish folk.

Which the Queen uses to offer a wonderful health service (free) to our own she seems to be spending it a lot wiser than our lot no?
    You see, that is exactly why you brought that point up, to strawman and confuse. You brought that point up to make yourself feel good.

no it's to show you that pulling this i'm holier than thou is moronic as you put money into other economies the same as i do but you don't see it as that? you just harp on about tesco's in derry
    Sure he doesn't buy 100% Irish everything, so therefor it's the same thing. It isn't and you well know it.

No I'm pointing out we;re in the same boat, I don't buy 100% irish eithier so why should i be lecturing others?
    Indeed and I'm just pointing out that the only reason is £ signs. Public service, nope, something about Irish workers, nope, sure I pay taxes, nope sure we all do etc. etc. The pound signs are the attraction, nothing else.

That's your opinion that it's not it's my opinion that it is.

I don't see how we're going to settle this one?

I suppose when all else fails resort to the 32 county card! I agree with you btw. I prefer not to give my hard earned money to the Queen though! :cool:

or give to a moron to pay for the storage of voting machines? or some other nonsense? as i said before the queen is making better use of it in your own country.
    Nah, your just getting frustrated because all your points are being countered, hence the attempts to be insulting. I'm laughing at the 32 County card. Surely must be the Godwin equivalent on this thread?

why would i be frustrated? it would be pretty boring if you didn't counter them? now pet. what's next.

I'll leave out some of the pointscoring and concentrate on the more OT points.
    VAT on shoes is not the issue the point is if the mother buys her weekly/monthly shop in dunnes she might not have any money left to buy the shoes! VAT or no VAT! (priorities)

Eh, I think childrens shoes would be a priority. Good God of almighty, had to address that one.

ntlbell wrote:
    ok I'll try really hard with this one.

K-9: I BUY IN ROI SO SHOULD YOU. (within reason) Full stop.

NTL: I BUY IN ROI (within reason)

k-9: But I buy in ROI you buy in Derry

Do you see the problem here?

FYP.

I see the problem, it worries me that you don't.
    ntlbell wrote:
    But most of the workers are from the ROI???

How do you know this?

ntlbell wrote:
    of course not but what makes you think people who live in the ROI work in newry aren't paying rent their? or spending their money there?

Jaysus, them straws must be choked to death. So are you saying if it was all NI resident employees, it would make a difference? You like your strawmen don't you?

ntlbell wrote:
    Which the Queen uses to offer a wonderful health service (free) to our own she seems to be spending it a lot wiser than our lot no?

Well you would value something for free obviously. Just because it's free doesn't make it that wonderful.

ntlbell wrote:
    no it's to show you that pulling this i'm holier than thou is moronic as you put money into other economies the same as i do but you don't see it as that? you just harp on about tesco's in derry

No, I just keep pointing out that these excuses you keep coming up with are pointless and strawmen.

ntlbell wrote:
    No I'm pointing out we;re in the same boat, I don't buy 100% irish eithier so why should i be lecturing others?

You could buy 100% Irish in Letterkenny and 100% Irish in Derry and there is still a difference. The Queen doesn't see my money.

ntlbell wrote:
    That's your opinion that it's not it's my opinion that it is.

Grand, I'm sure if everything was equal you'd still buy in the North? Excuses, excuses.

I don't see how we're going to settle this one?
    ntlbell wrote:
    or give to a moron to pay for the storage of voting machines? or some other nonsense? as i said before the queen is making better use of it in your own country.

Or pay a Northern politician to rip them off. There'll always be waste. The Public Service does a little good too you know?
    I'm sure the day we get this perfect Public Service, you'll stop going North? Yes?
    ntlbell wrote:
    why would i be frustrated? it would be pretty boring if you didn't counter them? now pet. what's next.

Away you go darling.

Ye two should get a room ;):D

K-9, I still think you are very lucky in Donegal to be so close to the border and be able to shop around easier than the likes of me in Dublin:D

What do you propose to stop the likes of me going NI shopping or even internet shopping?

Persuasion ain't working, spouting a patriotic tax line does not work either i'm afraid, anything else?

Eh, I think childrens shoes would be a priority. Good God almight, had to address that one.

I'm starting to think your doing this on purpose.

again i'll slow it down

MAMMY: buys her grocieries in dunnes being the good citizen she is.

ops i ran out of money for shoes? eat or shoes, I'll eat.

Mammy: goes to NI saves 50% on her food, wow, money for shoes? watch that penny fall...

FYP.

I see the problem, it worries me that you don't.

Oh full stop so you never buy anything online etc? never go on holidays and spend money in other encomies? junior G shamrock badge for you.

How do you know this?

I can only speak for where I shop and I've talked to them and asked them?

Jaysus, them straws must be choked to death. So are you saying if it was all NI resident employees, it would make a difference? You like your strawmen don't you?

it would make a difference as in i wouldn't need to point it out?

Well you would value something for free obviously. Just because it's free doesn't make it that wonderful.

Well I've made use of it and it's fantastic and if you speak to people living in the UK it's something most of them brag about.
    You could buy 100% Irish in Letterkenny and 100% Irish in Derry and there is still a difference. The Queen doesn't see my money.

But I spend some in ROI and some in NI i don't go out of my way to buy 100% irish this is where you keep (are you pretending to be stupid?) avodiing the point it has nothing to do with what your buying, the point is nearly everyone in ROI spends money in other country's be directly or indirectly or on holidays or whatever the case maybe but people just harp on about the shopping in NI.

Grand, I'm sure if everything was equal you'd still buy in the North? Excuses, excuses.

If everything was equal I wouldn't have to?
    Or pay a Northern politician to rip them off. There'll always be waste. The Public Service does a little good too you know?

A little waste I can handle MASS pissing against walls I take issue with.

paying billions and billions for a little good is just not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Well I've made use of it and it's fantastic and if you speak to people living in the UK it's something most of them brag about.

Agree - light years ahead of what we have here and worth 10% on the top rate of tax.

Ye two should get a room ;):D

K-9, I still think you are very lucky in Donegal to be so close to the border and be able to shop around easier than the likes of me in Dublin:D

What do you propose to stop the likes of me going NI shopping or even internet shopping?

Persuasion ain't working, spouting a patriotic tax line does not work either i'm afraid, anything else?

It has always happened, probably always will. The problems aren'y just as simple as just comparing price as I think a few retailers etc. have pointed out.

The only thing that will stop it is price reductions here, not public sector reform, not a better Health Service, not something about foreign nationals or whatever else ntlbell is strawmanning with.

As retailers have pointed out, it isn't as simple as them cutting 20/30% of prices as they'd be making no money.

I'm starting to think your doing this on purpose.

again i'll slow it down

MAMMY: buys her grocieries in dunnes being the good citizen she is.

ops i ran out of money for shoes? eat or shoes, I'll eat.

Mammy: goes to NI saves 50% on her food, wow, money for shoes? watch that penny fall...

Or drink?

Shoes are a necessity. My God this Mammy is a poor budgetter though.

ntlbell wrote:
    Oh full stop so you never buy anything online etc? never go on holidays and spend money in other encomies? junior G shamrock badge for you.

LOL. This is about were I choose to spend my grocery and weekly shopping money, not holidays etc. Simply put, you have a choice to spend that money fully in ROI and so do I. Nice strawman away from the topic.

ntlbell wrote:
    I can only speak for where I shop and I've talked to them and asked them?

Your the one who brought this point up, something to do with foreign nationals I think.

ntlbell wrote:
    it would make a difference as in i wouldn't need to point it out?

Yep it was a strawman, wasn't it ntlbell, don't know how we got to this point, think it was them clutching at straws.

ntlbell wrote:

They give out plenty about it. What has this to do with cross border shopping again?

ntlbell wrote:
    But I spend some in ROI and some in NI i don't go out of my way to buy 100% irish this is where you keep (are you pretending to be stupid?) avodiing the point it has nothing to do with what your buying, the point is nearly everyone in ROI spends money in other country's be directly or indirectly or on holidays or whatever the case maybe but people just harp on about the shopping in NI.

Have a look at the thread title and try and make your points a little OT?

NTLBELL wrote:
    A little waste I can handle MASS pissing against walls I take issue with.

paying billions and billions for a little good is just not good enough.

I'd love to get your ideas, but this isn't a public service thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

That's a falsehood!

NI is British until the majority of people want to change that situation. You must exist in some sort of parallel universe not to notice that.

NI may exist on the island of Ireland but it is a British region paying British taxes. As a result they are protected from the worst aspects of the recession. Just as Guantanamo Bay exists on the Island of Cuba but it is an American territory and Gibraltar is on the Iberian peninsula but is British territory!

Shopping up there does our state no favours.

Or drink?

Shoes are a necessity. My God this Mammy is a poor budgetter though.

not at all, she's shopping away in the north buying all the food needed and probably saving a few bob on the shoes too, I thought this was the point?

what has drink got to do with anything?

LOL. This is about were I choose to spend my grocery and weekly shopping money, not holidays etc. Simply put, you have a choice to spend that money fully in ROI and so do I. Nice strawman away from the topic.

I thought it was about the flow of money to the north

cars/shopping/dentistry/furniture and anything else you can purchase there no? you want to just pin it to weekly shopping so you can keep your shamrock badge? fair enough..

Your the one who brought this point up, something to do with foreign nationals I think.

you asked how i know, i answered.

Yep it was a strawman, wasn't it ntlbell, don't know how we got to this point, think it was them clutching at straws.

straws. right.

They give out plenty about it. What has this to do with cross border shopping again?

I was just commenting on how well spent my taxes are in NI that my fellow country folk have an excellent health system.
    Have a look at the thread title and try and make your points a little OT?

you might have a re-read of it yourself
    I'd love to get your ideas, but this isn't a public service thread.

well stop making public service announcements on how well the public service do.

good lad *pat pat*

• Advertisement

It has always happened, probably always will. The problems aren'y just as simple as just comparing price as I think a few retailers etc. have pointed out.

The only thing that will stop it is price reductions here, not public sector reform, not a better Health Service, not something about foreign nationals or whatever else ntlbell is strawmanning with.

As retailers have pointed out, it isn't as simple as them cutting 20/30% of prices as they'd be making no money.

Now, we get so far as to agree that price reductions here will help curtail it.

And a big factor in bringing about those price reductions is shopping in NI, agree?

Advertisement