Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping the Flow of Irish Money to the North

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

From looking at a random selection of posts to this thread, it's looking like shopping in the North is a devisive issue for some
    ...as a regular contributer to the Northern Ireland shopping thread, I have 'encouraged' people on that thread to do price comparisons in the hope that over time, the price differences will reduce, or at least we can keep an eye on patterns emerging-

I have certainly seen great efforts on behalf of my local supermarkets over the last few weeks especially, giving extra value and offers, and I think that the competition of a weak STG/Euro exchange rate will only help us in the south, so my hat is off to any retailer, doing what ever they can to retain customers, and I will support them as best I can..

I don't in any way shop in the North every week (or every month), but right now, I am in the lucky position that I don't have to..but my financial position may change over time, so that may change..

however, all reports (old wives tales and farmers in the know) are pointing to a great summer of weather (will believe it when I see it)- just one week spent in southern Ireland on holidays by a good % of Southerners(if you can afford to take a holiday at all) would cancel out the money going Northwards and add greatly to the economy...as one of the previous posters said, people take holidays abroad and spend money, and no-one bats an eyelid, but buy washing powder in Sainsburys, and you're a traitor..

it's just a thought but holidaying in Ireland this summer could really boost the economy...the French mostly holiday in France, buy French cars, eat French food..it is something I have envied in the past when visiting- their sense of what is important...maybe that type of patriotism/nationalism is something we could cultivate-

I think we have forgotten how good Ireland really is as a place to live..and you can still get the bargain wine/beer etc in Sainsburys in Newry ..I think it's all about balance, and we need to find that balance...
    Irish Tourist Industry- take note- where are your advertisements, your special offers, ...get off ure arse and put a creative package together to encourage people to stay at home this summer..:)

People shopping in the North doesn't annoy me..the ROI's inability to think up creative ways to keep & support jobs/employment does...we will always have exchange rate fluctuations, and it may turn to Northern Ireland's favour in a few years & we'll see an influx of STG into southern stores..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Cicero wrote: »
    From looking at a random selection of posts to this thread, it's looking like shopping in the North is a devicive issue for some
    ...as a regular contributer to the Northern Ireland shopping thread, I have 'encouraged' people on that thread to do price comparisons in the hope that over time, the price differences will reduce, or at least we can keep an eye on patterns emerging-

I have certainly seen great efforts on behalf of my local supermarkets over the last few weeks especially, giving extra value and offers, and I think that the competition of a weak STG/Euro exchange rate will only help us in the south, so my hat is off to any retailer, doing what ever they can to retain customers, and I will support them as best I can..

I don't in any way shop in the North every week (or every month), but right now, I am in the lucky position that I don't have to..but my financial position may change over time, so that may change..

however, all reports (old wives tales and farmers in the know) are pointing to a great summer of weather (will believe it when I see it)- just one week spent in southern Ireland on holidays by a good % of Southerners(if you can afford to take a holiday at all) would cancel out the money going Northwards and add greatly to the economy...as one of the previous posters said, people take holidays abroad and spend money, and no-one bats an eyelid, but buy washing powder in Sainsburys, and you're a traitor..

it's just a thought but holidaying in Ireland this summer could really boost the economy...the French mostly holiday in France, buy French cars, eat French food..it is something I have envied in the past when visiting- their sense of what is important...maybe that type of patriotism/nationalism is something we could cultivate-

I think we have forgotten how good Ireland really is as a place to live..and you can still get the bargain wine/beer etc in Sainsburys in Newry ..I think it's all about balance, and we need to find that balance...
    Irish Tourist Industry- take note- where are your advertisements, your special offers, ...get off ure arse and put a creative package together to encourage people to stay at home this summer..:)

People shopping in the North doesn't annoy me..the ROI's inability to think up creative ways to keep & support jobs/employment does...we will always have exchange rate fluctuations, and it may turn to Northern Ireland's favour in a few years & we'll see an influx of STG into southern stores..

Excellent post.

I think balance is the biggest factor.

I shop in NI usually once every 2/3 months and I tend to buy items that are IMO very overpriced down south.

I holiday in Ireland once a year.

I source meat from the local butcher and veg from the local green grocer who value my business give excellent value for money.

Your right about the lack of creativity from irish retailers they just do nothing to try and get my business _nothing_

walk into a garage to look at cars you would need to set off the fire alarm to get someone to talk to you

ntlbell wrote: »
    Excellent post.

I think balance is the biggest factor.

I shop in NI usually once every 2/3 months and I tend to buy items that are IMO very overpriced down south.

I holiday in Ireland once a year.

I source meat from the local butcher and veg from the local green grocer who value my business give excellent value for money.

Your right about the lack of creativity from irish retailers they just do nothing to try and get my business _nothing_

walk into a garage to look at cars you would need to set off the fire alarm to get someone to talk to you

I agree, but I think retailers are 'just about' beginning to remember how to treat a customer...I think Retail Ireland (ROI) lost its way over the last few years, and forgot what made it good- good customer service, fresh produce, dedication to detail..I know the garage that has serviced my car for the last 3 years is about to go under...the same garage that turned their nose up when I asked for even a small discount not 6 months ago...and while I pity anyone who will loose their job, I also know that if they reduced their servicing costs considerably, and treated me as a human being, rather than an ATM machine, I just might feel some sympathy for them, and they just might stay in business..we don't need a lot of the so called services we currently have because they thrived on the fat of the economy, without giving anything in return..I just hope we can maintain the good people who are making an honest living and giving their best---it's those that don't deserve to go under right now, and require the support of the rest of the country.
    PS- do you know any butcher that sells the sort of steak you can readily get in French butchers...good marble of fat, excellent cut of meat, aged correctly??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

With the UK reduced VAT I think part of the problem is that it is not worth it for a shop in the 26 counties to reduce its prices. Let's say that prices are 15% higher than in the North, shop x cuts its prices 5%. Price sensitive people will say that it is still 10% dearer than in Newry, price insensitive people won't bother to transfer their business. With higher VAT and other definite costs the shop can't reach Newry prices, but gets little advantage from pricing fairly as everyone is going to Newry to teach FF a lesson. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ntlbell wrote: »
    not at all, she's shopping away in the north buying all the food needed and probably saving a few bob on the shoes too, I thought this was the point?

what has drink got to do with anything?

Oh, sure foreign nationals got dragged into it. Why stop there if it's a soapbox on.... Actually scrap that. It's getting ridiculous.

ntlbell wrote:
    I thought it was about the flow of money to the north

Look at the thread title, it is.
    ntlbell wrote:
    cars/shopping/dentistry/furniture and anything else you can purchase there no? you want to just pin it to weekly shopping so you can keep your shamrock badge? fair enough..

I see now why you brought up the patriotic point, though it never really was brought up. As I said this isn't about patriotism, 32 counties, 1916 or whatever other strawman you are having.

NTLBELL wrote:
    you asked how i know, i answered.

Your strawman got his there.

Couldn't be bothered replying to the rest of your self justification.

If you can't see why money leaving this economy is costing us, well .......
    gurramok wrote:
    Now, we get so far as to agree that price reductions here will help curtail it.

And a big factor in bringing about those price reductions is shopping in NI, agree?

Is making independent retailers going bust going to achieve that?

You'll be left with an 80's marketplace.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    With the UK reduced VAT I think part of the problem is that it is not worth it for a shop in the 26 counties to reduce its prices. Let's say that prices are 15% higher than in the North, shop x cuts its prices 5%. Price sensitive people will say that it is still 10% dearer than in Newry, price insensitive people won't bother to transfer their business. With higher VAT and other definite costs the shop can't reach Newry prices, but gets little advantage from pricing fairly as everyone is going to Newry to teach FF a lesson. :confused:

Excellent summation and analysis.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

To answer that to Armacha, VAT afaik is not charged on groceries so it makes no difference.

In my case it costs 20quid petrol return from Newry etc so i need maybe 30quid gain on a shopping trip to make it worthwhile and as i do a monthly shop, i've come back from the north with regular 60->150+ gain after shopping.

Of course alcohol purchases pushes this further in the savings direction. I don't have kids so take consideration of the amount of savings on baby products for the average family.
    A few months ago i decided to do an overnight stay in Ennisk and by god i even still saved money with the night out!

If the margin was maybe 10%, i wouldn't be bothered to shop up there. Its now in alot of cases 50% and only a fool would ignore that.
    K-9 wrote:

Why is that my problem?

Reduce their costs and everyone will benefit.

Cast your mind to pre-Lidl and Aldi days, we were seriously overpriced on basics. When those retailers came, Tesco & the rest responded a little bit but not enough.

I'll give you an example which has been highlighted in the rip-off forum. Tesco/Dunnes reduced their prices straight after Xmas on my basic groceries(food) by about 20% for a few weeks. There was joy in my heart that something is happening.
    But my jaw dropped once Feb hit, they BOTH put the price up identically to pre-Xmas levels and that seriously pissed me off and i bet i was not alone as other posters spotted this scam. Its no wonder Tesco do not post their profits for Tesco Ireland.

Another promotion was an alcohol promotion on one weekend where it was reduced for one weekend only. Not just on a couple of brands of alcohol but across the range. Now why would they do this and yet jack up the prices on the Monday? (yes taxes are higher here on alcohol but they reduce as they please)

You see, they have the ability to reduce prices when they want to.

Excellent value out there at the minute. Indeed, don't take a price you get on the internet, ring up and haggle.

think Retail Ireland (ROI) lost its way over the last few years

Nope , everybody did. They are just an easy target.

gurramok wrote: »
    If the margin was maybe 10%, i wouldn't be bothered to shop up there. Its now in alot of cases 50% and only a fool would ignore that.

Cheers.

To me moaning about tax rises and SW cuts, services cuts etc. and then spending your money in a foreign country is illogical.

It's thinking like that got us in this mess, but alas, the Irish love moaning, but we are a bit short when it comes to the responsibility part.

• Advertisement

Why is that my problem?

Reduce their costs and everyone will benefit.

OK.

Retailers have explained why it isn't thatsimple. It involves a 20/30% reduction in wages all around, alone, never mind anything else..

OK, your wage gets reduced by 30%, will that encourage you to shop here?

Thing is, wages have been cut here and guess what? More people are going North!

K-9 wrote: »
    Cheers.

To me moaning about tax rises and SW cuts, services cuts etc. and then spending your money in a foreign country is illogical.

It's thinking like that got us in this mess, but alas, the Irish love moaning, but we are a bit short when it comes to the responsibility part.

Ah come on K-9! Survival for one's self and family comes first. It's human nature to find the best bargains.

Close off the loophole that is the north and internet shopping and you might have a case to force us to stay high costwise.

Its time to move on as they say we are an open economy now unlike the 80's. There is no stopping NI shopping due to EU rules and neither to stop internet shopping.

The only solution is a collective response to make this country cheaper to live in, that is reducing all sorts of costs from sky high industrial electricity to insurance to staff costs.

Nope , everybody did. They are just an easy target.

K-9 ..I think 'everybody did' is an over generalisation, but I think I'd be going off thread if I went there...;)

.. In terms of your previous point about 'haggling', that indicates a certain re-activity on behalf of retailers, relying on customers to challenge their high prices, which just isn't going to happen-

people will compare prices and if a foreign weekend away/ week abroad, works out cheaper, then they'll go for that..it comes back to quality, service, value- it doesn't cost much for a hotel to break even on a hotel bedroom...add modest profit...couple that with a good chef in the kitchen, friendly staff, and some good entertainment, and you have a viable option for a family week in Ireland..doesn't take much imagination, but you have to 'present' this to the consumer..you can't expect Irish consumers to haggle- most will walk before doing that, and the retailer will loose out..relying on customers aimlessly supporting Irish retailers charging up to 50% more on goods without making even the smallest of efforts to conform to changing times just won't cut it with the average consumer..like I said, creativity and innovation is the only way any business- retail or otherwise, will survive the downturn..

OK.

Retailers have explained why it isn't thatsimple. It involves a 20/30% reduction in wages all around, alone, never mind anything else..

OK, your wage gets reduced by 30%, will that encourage you to shop here?

Thing is, wages have been cut here and guess what? More people are going North!

If my wage was reduced by 30%, that won't make any difference if its not reflected on the prices in the shops.

You yourself have stated thats its a combination of factors from rents, insurance, high energy costs, supplier costs to staff costs so it will need all these to reverse to make a reflection in prices charged by the shops.

Reducing my wage by 30% without a similar or even bigger reduction in retail won't make much of a difference i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Its the internet that really has opened up our eyes to the rip off prices that we pay here. Online shopping means that we can buy at the best price we can find. Getting a real bargain here just does not happen.

Ah come on K-9! Survival for one's self and family comes first. It's human nature to find the best bargains.

Close off the loophole that is the north and internet shopping and you might have a case to force us to stay high costwise.

Its time to move on as they say we are an open economy now unlike the 80's. There is no stopping NI shopping due to EU rules and neither to stop internet shopping.

The only solution is a collective response to make this country cheaper to live in, that is reducing all sorts of costs from sky high industrial electricity to insurance to staff costs.

YEP, including wages. I think we all know Ireland is a high cost economy but some of us don't want to see it, it meaning wages cuts all round.
    K-9 ..I think 'everybody did' is an over generalisation, but I think I'd be going off thread if I went there...;)

.. In terms of your previous point about 'haggling', that indicates a certain re-activity on behalf of retailers, relying on customers to challenge their high prices, which just isn't going to happen-

people will compare prices and if a foreign weekend away/ week abroad, works out cheaper, then they'll go for that..it comes back to quality, service, value- it doesn't cost much for a hotel to break even on a hotel bedroom...add modest profit...couple that with a good chef in the kitchen, friendly staff, and some good entertainment, and you have a viable option for a family week in Ireland..doesn't take much imagination, but you have to 'present' this to the consumer..you can't expect Irish consumers to haggle- most will walk before doing that, and the retailer will loose out..relying on customers aimlessly supporting Irish retailers charging up to 50% more on goods without making even the smallest of efforts to conform to changing times just won't cut it with the average consumer..like I said, creativity and innovation is the only way any business- retail or otherwise, will survive the downturn..

Completely accept we all didn't. Just as if somebody said we all shopped in the North, I'd object.

On haggling, they can only haggle so much. Unless they should sell below cost?
    If my wage was reduced by 30%, that won't make any difference if its not reflected on the prices in the shops.

You yourself have stated thats its a combination of factors from rents, insurance, high energy costs, supplier costs to staff costs so it will need all these to reverse to make a reflection in prices charged by the shops.

Reducing my wage by 30% without a similar or even bigger reduction in retail won't make much of a difference i'm afraid.

Ah, but it's part of other costs going down 30%

People are very quick to say to retailers get your prices down, stock, rent etc. but mention wages, God forbid. That's the Me Fein culture that got us to the recession in the first place, which ties back to Cicero, I wasn't part of that either but I'll be asked to take the pain. Seems you might as well be either a banker, developer or on SW and you will not take a hit. /rant.

While people make excuses about their wages nothing will be sorted. It isn't just your wage, it's the wage the whole way along the procedure in getting the product to the shelf, including the public sector.

People are very quick to say to retailers get your prices down, stock, rent etc. but mention wages, God forbid. That's the Me Fein culture that got us to the recession in the first place, which ties back to Cicero, I wasn't part of that either but I'll be asked to take the pain. Seems you might as well be either a banker, developer or on SW and you will not take a hit. /rant.

While people make excuses about their wages nothing will be sorted. It isn't just your wage, it's the wage the whole way along the procedure in getting the product to the shelf, including the public sector.

You see, its grand saying everyone's wages would drop by a certain percentage which would be ideal in theory but its different in the real world.

Its just that certain sectors are seriously overpaid to others and yes an average wage of 49k in the public sector warrants criticism at that segment.

Reduce all segments back to their compatriots internationally and then we will see competitiveness coming back. Different people get hit by the high prices here and they have no choice but to shop around to get value for money.
    Just think on a side note that 40% of the workforce earn min wage and another 11% have no job, thats alot of people who need to stretch their money and i do not blame them going north.

You see, its grand saying everyone's wages would drop by a certain percentage which would be ideal in theory but its different in the real world.

Its just that certain sectors are seriously overpaid to others and yes an average wage of 49k in the public sector warrants criticism at that segment.

Reduce all segments back to their compatriots internationally and then we will see competitiveness coming back. Different people get hit by the high prices here and they have no choice but to shop around to get value for money.
    Just think on a side note that 40% of the workforce earn min wage and another 11% have no job, thats alot of people who need to stretch their money and i do not blame them going north.

So seeing as we are expecting Northern prices here, Northern wage rates and Northern tax and NIC rates, to pay for this brill Health Service they have?

Thing is, we'll have less money to spend North!

So seeing as we are expecting Northern prices here, Northern wage rates and Northern tax and NIC rates, to pay for this brill Health Service they have?

Thing is, we'll have less money to spend North!

We won't have to go there in the first place in that scenario!

We'll be waiting donkeys years for it to happen so the flow to the north will continue.
    Nothing can stop it if the above ain't done, maybe we should withdraw from the EU to be 'responsible' :P

Look at the thread title, it is.

Let me bring it here for you to read closer

Soppting the Folw of Irish Money to the North

see? no restriction on your weekly shop pet.

I see now why you brought up the patriotic point, though it never really was brought up. As I said this isn't about patriotism, 32 counties, 1916 or whatever other strawman you are having.

I'll have another straw please?

Your strawman got his there.

what I'm reading is "I'm not capable of making intelligent creative arguments so I'll harp on the same thing"
    Couldn't be bothered replying to the rest of your self justification.

That's ok see previous point. I understand.
    If you can't see why money leaving this economy is costing us, well .......

and if you can't see why the lack of confidence in the government to spend the money wisely then well....

If there's no room for you in the market place then you have to leave

but as i previously pointed out I bring business locally also, those who offer a good service and offer some value for money.

I don't think attempting to lay out some sort of 10yr old guilt trip is going to do much for the economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

hello all...first time posting here so be gentle! Just home from a little holiday in northern ireland. Had always wanted to see giant's causeway. Anyway am absolutely baffled and emotionally undecided about how I feel about the whole experience today. We had a lovely time and EVERYTHING was so much cheaper. We are not extravagant by any means and this 3 day stay in a self catering cottage was our first family trip in over a year. We had a chinese takeaway one evening and it was £11. A nice bottle of wine and 3 cans of beer from the village shop was £7. Anyway did my family shop on the way home and was astounded. Why in gods name half the country is not in a queue to go over the border is a miracle. Especially those with kiddies like us with 2 in nappies.

But the thing that struck me also meeting quite a few local people up north was their own attitude. MODEST is the word we decided on to describe most people. For example the homes were well kept but we did not see the estates with conservatories or flash extensions. The luxure cittage we stayed in was lovely but everything was well worn and nothing fancy (this was a family's own place and we were the first outsiders to use it). Anyway I am rambling but trying to assess how I feel about the guilt of maybe contributing to anything worse happening here but feeling the urge to do this more regularly as we are struggling.

The only big purchase we made (whixh was saved for over a number of birthdays...why I need to justify this is another issue entirely) was a jvc camcorder to record the children growing and I paid 279 for the same model which is advertised here for 499...I am sorry but that is crazy.

anyway help me process??

goodies wrote: »
    hello all...first time posting here so be gentle! Just home from a little holiday in northern ireland. Had always wanted to see giant's causeway. Anyway am absolutely baffled and emotionally undecided about how I feel about the whole experience today. We had a lovely time and EVERYTHING was so much cheaper. We are not extravagant by any means and this 3 day stay in a self catering cottage was our first family trip in over a year. We had a chinese takeaway one evening and it was £11. A nice bottle of wine and 3 cans of beer from the village shop was £7. Anyway did my family shop on the way home and was astounded. Why in gods name half the country is not in a queue to go over the border is a miracle. Especially those with kiddies like us with 2 in nappies.

But the thing that struck me also meeting quite a few local people up north was their own attitude. MODEST is the word we decided on to describe most people. For example the homes were well kept but we did not see the estates with conservatories or flash extensions. The luxure cittage we stayed in was lovely but everything was well worn and nothing fancy (this was a family's own place and we were the first outsiders to use it). Anyway I am rambling but trying to assess how I feel about the guilt of maybe contributing to anything worse happening here but feeling the urge to do this more regularly as we are struggling.

The only big purchase we made (whixh was saved for over a number of birthdays...why I need to justify this is another issue entirely) was a jvc camcorder to record the children growing and I paid 279 for the same model which is advertised here for 499...I am sorry but that is crazy.

anyway help me process??

Think it's the Protestant work ethic! :o

But yeah, Northerners generally have a different attitude. Modest definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Its the internet that really has opened up our eyes to the rip off prices that we pay here. Online shopping means that we can buy at the best price we can find. Getting a real bargain here just does not happen.

do u really save alot by online shopping? most of the time you get caught by expensive postage and packing charges which for most small items makes up the added difference that a shop's price would have

to buy 4gb ddr2 ram from komplett.ie is €35 (currently) but then the basic postage and packing charge is €12.50... for a small cardboard box, some bubble wrap and a few stamps?

do u really save alot by online shopping? most of the time you get caught by expensive postage and packing charges which for most small items makes up the added difference that a shop's price would have

to buy 4gb ddr2 ram from komplett.ie is €35 (currently) but then the basic postage and packing charge is €12.50... for a small cardboard box, some bubble wrap and a few stamps?

i haven't used komplett for years and the reason i stopped was the postage charges

shop around not only for the goods but for reasonable postage

I think it cost me 1.99 from crucial and 1.99 from an ebayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Well you have to pay for laziness.
    Shopping around applies not only to bricks and mortar.
    Think of Komplett as the Republic of Ireland - Overpriced.

You should try www.shop4memory.ie or www.dabs.ie
    and many others.

Speaking of shopping around. Brian Cowen was shopping around in a big way waqsnt he. Buying property in the UK. Should have kept the money in the country Brian.

bobbbb wrote: »
    Speaking of shopping around. Brian Cowen was shopping around in a big way waqsnt he. Buying property in the UK. Should have kept the money in the country Brian.

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

goodies wrote: »

anyway help me process??

An excellent post that highlights the huge imbalance between the two economies.

I was down the country today and listened to a radio interview with a local politician dicussing this very topic. The interview ended and the one thing I gathered from the interview was - they (the government) appear to know about the issue (money leaving the state to Northern Ireland) but have not an action plan to stop it. But they have a lot of talk and more talk.

Bless them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciscokidder

Was in Newry yesterday. Some choice examples: 42 tabs dishwasher tabs on special offer 5 euro are 13 euro in Squinn. Baileys 15.90 euro but its 27 in squinn. totted some figures up : Avg Groceries 70% extra in south. Avg booze 50% extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

sorry man, im a huge pc geek, look at the $hit prices komplett have for an nvidia 260 gfx card - http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10488&mfr=&filter=A00247.K263643.

The cheapest 216 core one is 232Euro, i bought this one on overclockers .co.uk for £150, its up today as offer ended but still only £8 more expensive than yesterday - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-130-XF&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=927
    Postage was £13 and should arrive tomorrow/Friday

Thats at least a 60euro saving there ex. postage + not waiting for 3-6 weeks for Komplett to get their $hit together to post it to you

Ive been buying computer games in the uk since the late '80s and have been buying 99% of pc components from there for 7 years regardless of the rates it has always been cheaper.

I dont get this horsecrap about feeling sorry for the retailers down here, what the feck have they ever done for us? EVER?

example, in the past 5 years, most working in tesco/spar/centra just want you to f*** off, Supervalue has always had fantastic staff and id support them more than any of the other retailers even though theyre more expensive on most things.

Its not even the prices down here, its the bloody attitude, its been going on for at least 7-10 years of give me your money and just f*** off.

Today in athlone i was in tescos( bought nothing thankfully ) and everywhere was plastered with 50% off, honestly they had great deals on Stella( 24x330ml bottles for 16.99euro ) but that will last a week and back to the same old crap once they get you in the door + Dunnes probably had the same offer seeing as theyre pretty much sleeping together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

So a substantial property tax and VAT -4%, would everyone be happy with that? Imagine the whine that would result! Yet this is the situation in NI.

Advertisement