Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping the Flow of Irish Money to the North

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

My heart bleeds, the recession is really effecting you.

Well, the bloke probably has had his yearly pay reduced by €2000->€5000 pa depending on earnings since Sept on tax, he is just getting it back by going north.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

My heart bleeds, the recession is really effecting you.
    am i to apologise for studying hard and getting a good well payed job. ill be happy if i want to be. for the record im 24 and dont own a house. i rent. its the clowns who got mortgages in the states and defaulted etc who caused this.why should i pay 2000 for a tv here if i can get it for 1400 in the north. i owe lenihan nothing. he taxes my income handsomely and has increased that today also.
    your comment is nothing other then begrudgery.
    as i said i SAVED up for this trip. am i not allowed furnish myself with lavish goods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Jah Luff

im going up the north next tuesday. been saving for the trip. im getting
    furniture in ikea
    ipod touch 32 gb
    50 inch tv
    region free sony dvd player
    onkyo amp in richersounds
    pioneer car radio
    nintendo wii
    sony vaio laptop with all the best trimmings.
    dog food/toiletries for the year.
    i dont drink or smoke myself but my friends are giving me a list.
    staying the night in a hotel with herself too.

borrowed my dads opel combi van for the trip.
    ireland are not getting a cent of it.
    whats worse is the missus will prob take up half the van with ****e of her own.
    **** lenihan

Good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Its all well and good going up north but people must realise that jobs are being lost as a direct result of this. I understand people's reactions but money seeping out of this economy we eventually effect every single person.

I even know a person who works in Superquinn who shop up north and then are really worried about their job being lost. She can't seem to add two and two together.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Steviemak wrote: »
    Its all well and good going up north but people must realise that jobs are being lost as a direct result of this. I understand people's reactions but money seeping out of this economy we eventually effect every single person.

I even know a person who works in Superquinn who shop up north and then are really worried about their job being lost. She can't seem to add two and two together.

In that case we MUST make ourselves competitve, you can't blame people for shopping around.

As it is their is a great deal of uncertainty of what will happen in December, as areult people will continue to find the best price and/or just won't buy non-essential items.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Steviemak wrote: »

People with less money will look for the cheapest option. Simple as. Also, seeing as we're living in a democracy with legislation on anti-competitiveness governing us, what do you want the Irish people to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If Superquinn, Dunnes, Supervalue, Tesco etc would give a fig about their customers they'd offer value for money instead of treating us like chickens to be plucked... . Multinational retailers can reap all the benefits of globalisation so when it's our turn to take back a wee bit please don't go crying unpatriotic...it's not like Enniskillen, Armagh, Newry, Derry etc are at the far side of the moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Jimbo wrote: »
    It's difficult to change tax rates in the middle of a tax year.

That's why we didn't see PAYE or PRSI increases

VAT is different from PAYE due to the allowances and exemptions

VAT changes are simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

WE SHOULD SHOP AROUND!!!Well we are doing it!
    j

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

The people are voting with their feet lads.............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Shopping in Northern Ireland will now be used by more and more people. Adsa must be delighted with the budget.
    FF have shot themselves in both feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Shopping in Northern Ireland will now be used by more and more people. Adsa must be delighted with the budget.
    FF have shot themselves in both feet.

Sainsbury's openly admitted that their Newry store is the biggest seller of alcohol and baby products out of all their stores UK wide.

On the back of that, one way of getting back people to shop more here would have been to reduce VAT rates. They could also do something momentous and vastly reduced (or cut altogher) VAT on sanitary products, including baby goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

People going up north is a rotten symptom of this situation we've been handed. If you want our economy to recover, you'll spend your money here and forget about the north.

Buy Irish. Keep the money here and do our bit, however small, to get back on the rails.

Idealistic but fact.

I buy Irish in Newry. Support the peace process!

Idealistic but fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

You have to remember the last time the government cut VAT the thieving b@st@rd retailers pocketed the money and when the government put the VAT back up the thieving b@st@rd retailers passed the increase on.

IBEC and ISME can go fnck themselves. I won't fund a campaign aimed at cutting my pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

I dare not anger the Invisible Hand of the market by being irrational and opposed to competition, I'm very serious about this, we can't try to mess with market conditions otherwise it won't correct itself and we'll be fecked,
    In order to help Ireland we must shop up north so as to force producers to change their price to match what the cosumers are willing to pay. This is no longer an oligopoly (producers control price) its an oligopsony (WE influence price), that how the market works and to HMV, Woodies and others who charged almost double the sterling price, paybacks a bitch!.
    :cool:

Example:
    iphone in dublin €569
    iphone in Banbridge €434

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Dummy wrote: »
    Yes I have loads of questions that the Government should be asking and providing a solution for. Not me !!:mad:

Boo hoo. I, for one, will be stress testing the back axel of my car this coming Saturday on a Newry run. Cigarettes will be high(er) on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Boo hoo. I, for one, will be stress testing the back axel of my car this coming Saturday on a Newry run. Cigarettes will be high(er) on the list.

The smokes are half the price online mate if you're looking to save money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciscokidder

I admit to shopping in Newry occasionally in the last year, however after today feck it, It is going to be a commute. My income has swan dived so something has to give. Every penny I spend in Dublin is one regretted IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sanj2408

Went up North yesterday. Im unemployed and my partner has recently taken a pay cut. I bought enough food to last me about 6 weeks apart from fresh food like bread and milk. I got an iron which cost me half the price it would here and I saved loads on nappies and baby milk. I got a buggy very cheap as well and filled the car with petrol.
    (Box of Aptamil in Sainsburys: £7.98, price down here €13.99)
    I have absolutely no feelings of guilt whatsoever its about time we were charged fair prices on these things and it seems the only way to get it is by scaring the shops into lowering their prices by going up the north.
    Hopefully they will cop on soon and these trips we make up north won't go on for too long.
    Considering the majority of the deficit in the governments income is from a lack of VAT and excise duties, you'd think they would have done more to stimulate these incomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

A few traffic disruptions on the road north ie. 3 and 4 hour delays would soon put a damper on motorists travelling up north to shop.

How about vehicle checks ,ins,tax ,tyres ,nct, no. of passengers carried
    drivers licence etc

Spoilsport:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

lionela wrote: »
    A few traffic disruptions on the road north ie. 3 and 4 hour delays would soon put a damper on motorists travelling up north to shop.

How about vehicle checks ,ins,tax ,tyres ,nct, no. of passengers carried
    drivers licence etc

Spoilsport:D

your going to give the government ideas, what's wrong with you?? :mad:

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    The smokes are half the price online mate if you're looking to save money

I'm not sure where you saw them, but on the @sd@ webite the are £5.62 - the normal price :eek:. Still a bargain compared to Rip Off Ireland. More like RIP Ireland, this country is goin down the swaney :mad:

sanj2408 wrote: »
    (Box of Aptamil in Sainsburys: £7.98, price down here €13.99)

Your artificial milk from memory is around £6 in @sd@. [EMAIL="S@insburys"]S@insburys[/EMAIL] is known to be the dearer. And remember............breast is best :D

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eoinbn

More evidence that this country is screwed.

There is a VERY simple reason why prices in this country are 20-25% higher than north. The average wage in NI last year was €25,000, it's €37,000 south of the border. We are over paid gits which drive up the cost of goods as everyone is ripping each other off.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

As a retailer (not food or essentials) I was expecting the VAT to go back to at least the 21%, thinking about it now why should they reduce it when most retailers did not increase prices by the last .5% VAT increase ?

Our front line Ministers are paid too much, I believe this is proven by this budget, they have no idea what the levy increases mean to the spending power of the average person.

Drive carefully Ladies and Gents, I for one remember raising my children in the 80's and fully understand why you must travel North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

I'm not sure where you saw them, but on the @sd@ webite the are £5.62 - the normal price :eek:. Still a bargain compared to Rip Off Ireland. More like RIP Ireland, this country is goin down the swaney :mad:

Just google cheap cigs, there are places in Spain and elsewhere doing 200 cigs for around €25-35 or 5 x 50g pouches of baccy for the same. I don't buy anything here in ripoffsville if I can help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Goose81

am i to apologise for studying hard and getting a good well payed job. ill be happy if i want to be. for the record im 24 and dont own a house. i rent. its the clowns who got mortgages in the states and defaulted etc who caused this.why should i pay 2000 for a tv here if i can get it for 1400 in the north. i owe lenihan nothing. he taxes my income handsomely and has increased that today also.
    your comment is nothing other then begrudgery.
    as i said i SAVED up for this trip. am i not allowed furnish myself with lavish goods
    You should furnish your post with punctuation first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

The average wage in NI last year was €25,000, it's €37,000 south of the border.

No offence but €37,000 is an average wage? Average for who, may I ask? A public sector worker perhaps?

Considering that a minimum wage, 40 hour per week worker would take home €339

Thats half the average...what country are you people living in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

This budget has is to borrow a phrase from Michael Noonan - a smash and grab raid - for cash. When I get what's litte of my income back into my pocket I will not spend a penny of it in the Republic (odd bag of chips aside). If Lenihan thinks the flood of people going north is bad now - just wait until his badly thought out fiasco of a budget gets into full swing.
    Bread and circuses indeed!

Riv

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭bushykangaroo

I cant understand why the Vat wasnt reduced, it was the 1 thing i thought would be done. As a previous poster said at least revert it back to what it was. So, basically, they increase it by 0.5% and then admit their mistake but when they have the chance to correct it they dont?? :confused: Whats the point in admitting the mistake if they wont correct it?

I personally, buy everything from the North or the Uk, you simply just cannot buy anything in this country now. A lot of people have been shopping up the north since and even before christmas but now that so many more people have taken pay cuts/reduced hours/ even become unemployed theres just going to be a crazy amount of folk travelling up north to buy everything from their basic groceries to the odd household appliance they need.

The government is doing absolutely nothing to help the economy and Irish businesses, surely this budget should be trying to create an environment that will allows Irish shops lower their prices which in turn will allow Irish people spend their money in Irish shops and businesses. Its as if the government are blind to whats happening and are going out of their way to increase unemployment. I cant understand it at all, wheres the logic? Why arent the economists and accountants telling the governement taxes need lowering to kickstart the economy and why arent people out marching and complaining about the ridiculous vat rate? :confused::(:mad:confused:

Advertisement