Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No decrease in Social Welfare Payments?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Push comes to shove, they could cancel all social welfare payments and benefits tomorrow if they liked. However, they evidently perceive this to be political suicide.

Not to mention social and economic suicide too

sunnyside wrote: »
    Some people just aren't employable.

And we have disability payments for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sillysasauge

Im 26 now and on the dole for over a year and get 200 euro a week, although I pay my parents 300 a month out of that. Even with this and paying for my own food I am basically live the same lifestyle I had while I was working, except that I am not saving any money.

My friends from London can't believe how much we get here, it's way too much. It should be 125 euro a week in my opinion. The incentive to get work would be much higher if i couldn't do the things i could do while i was working (going out drinking, buying clothes, gym membership etc). I was kind of half hoping that there would be a big cut in the dole just to give me a kick up the arse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Yep, you are one hundred percent right & that is what I have a huge problem with. When times were good & you couldn't turn in the street without getting a job offer there was always a segment of society that were signing on for no valid reason.

It's IN-BREED into them not to get a job, it's a generational way of living and thinking. Everyone around them is on the dole so the cycle continues....yes, it's a very wide and sweeping generalistion and yes i conceed not every single housing estate type are like this and some do try get out, but a large section do and continue to do and they have children and breed another generation of uneducated thugs who have no ambition and no dreams and see no way out of playing the welfare system and leading unfulfilled lives.

I honestly belive this goes deeper then socio-enomonic....i know i am labeling but i see it all the time, it's hard not to! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rapture 3

i mean for genuine people with mortgages,who bought a car,who live in the outskirts of dublin,who can no longer pay for there car,or petrol,insurance,tax,food shopping,clothes for their kids,put their kids in school,books etc.they are not luxury items they are essential for day to day living.and thats just a few things,gas esb,i cant see 200 quid going very far.alright if ur single ya might be able to handle things a bit better,but for familys its dooms day.and yes we all know people who never worked a day in their lives,or people who scam the system,but for a second think of those who dont.

• Advertisement

Thats not it, anyone can dig a ditch or paint a fence...they don't want to work...period. What they do is take the dole then do other jobs on the side, to top things up. I have seen people on the dole with big houses, like 5/6 bedroom with extensions and the best clobber inside.

Granted these familes do have alot of kids, 4-6, sometimes more....but they have all the trappings of any middle income family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭eamonnm79

RonMexico wrote: »
    No it was an extra bonus that was granted to you not out of necessity but out of generosity during the good times. Naturally people then come to expect it like they expect other hand-outs from the government. I work and got feck all of a bonus so consider yourself lucky you got it at all.

If people used to get 53 payments and now get 52 its a back door 2% Cut.
    Could the moderator please change the headline of this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

The reason they aren't touching the dole money is probably down to the fact that nearly 400,000 people are on it, if they take it away/reduce you would have those people (myself included) cutting back on consumer spending.

Frankly I would give my right arm to get a job and as said in a previous post, standing in a queue is so depressing!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭An Ard Ri

I really have sympathy for people who have recently been made unemployed such as those in Dell for example. I cant imagine what it like especially as they have mortgage payments, car loans, strain on family life etc..

However, it is the wasters on long term unmeployed, the 4% who chose not to work during the boom times (i obviously exclude the diasbled from this statement) who should have their social welfare payments halved.

I see them everyday in town, these yokes are actually recession proof! Today was time to hit the malingerers in society but government have hit the taxpayer again.

Whoever it last out of the country today, would they switch out the lights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Not even for a CE scheme of watering flowers? I'm sorry but I know people who have slight mental and/ or physical disabilities that are in such Fas run schemes & function perfectly well.

The kind of person I'm hinting at is the one you see hanging around a pub at 10.30 in the morning, the kind of person that has put in more compensation claims than I've had hot dinners, the kind of person that laughs at the good of decent people going out to work, the kind of person who has 5 or 6 kids when it's blatantly obvious they can't look after one & the kind of person who spends the childrens allowance on drink/ drugs.

Think I'm being a bit dramatic? Go down to the dole office on signing on day & have a look yourself. Stand outside the post office on dole day & watch where a few of them go after collecting their money. Usually to the nearest pub that hasn't barred them already.

• Advertisement

I think we ALL know the "types" we are talking about here, and they are smart!...they know all the loopholes, trade information...actively seek to defraud the system.

I think we ALL know the "types" we are talking about here, and they are smart!...they know all the loopholes, trade information...actively seek to defraud the system.

Personally I would only love to be employed by the government to investigate some of the suspected fraud cases that are reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Jah Luff

I am 19 I have a car and a baby what am i supposed to do with 100 euro? whipe my ass? cuz thats about all its guna be good for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sillysasauge

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Personally I would only love to be employed by the government to investigate some of the suspected fraud cases that are reported.

You could be on to something there!

You could be on to something there!

Indeed!...how about pay people to report fraudsters?....once proven of course :D

Jah Luff wrote: »
    I am 19 I have a car and a baby what am i supposed to do with 100 euro? whipe my ass? cuz thats about all its guna be good for?

For €100 you'll barely be able to wipe the babys ass! :(

For €100 you'll barely be able to wipe the babys ass! :(

I'd imagine she would be means tested. €100 wouldn't buy baby wipes to wipe the babys ass.

See the panic is starting now, genuine people out there sweating over it & the leeches probably still sitting pretty & laughing at the good of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭líreacán

READ BELOW:
    nesf wrote: »
    The small print according to RTE is that this will not happen where the person has children or where they are co-habiting with a partner with children.

And maybe start taking public transport? Walking? Save on petrol costs anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

im surprised that all these people with babies think they are entitled to be given support by the GOVERNMENT for them having sex without contraceptives

theres this thing called family planning, would save you alot of financial trouble and give your children a better start in life if you and your partner plan these things thru

so to sum it up, dont be silly wear a condom on that willy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭justwhatithink

The people who have been made redundant have already taken a serious pay cut. You cant blame people for having bought themselves a car when they were working and now have a loan to keep paying so i think the €200/week to fund this, insurance, food bills, accommadation is fair for the moment. Most people will find it difficult to sell a car at the moment. Also, these people are sitting round all day trying to find a job and also something to occupy some of their time to stop them going crazy. I have a brother, made redundant, back living with our parents in small village in west of ireland (father works but small business owner and could do with the dole himself hes so badly hit and cant afford to keep my brother, ive had to loan them money myself). My brother occupies himself doing bits around the houss, playing football & going to the club gym, and if he didnt have his car to visit his friends out the country and go to football he'd go off his head.
    In our small village there are numerous families all of whom have never worked or been off benefits. They are all in council houses, obtained by having numerous kids by all different fathers (cause it doesnt really matter who the father is when your having it for the purpose of increasing eligibility for benefit). Theyre going around driving 09 cars! I am currently considering buying an 2001 car, i cant afford an 09! These people disgust me. My brother and parents were cross examined means tested for him to get the dole, why are these benefit suckers not means tested and made do community projects/seek a job?
    I work in a very affluent area in dublin. One of our clients told me today she was battling with her daughter over buying her an iPhone, shes 9! Her class mates have them!!!
    This country needs a kick up the rear and benefit should be means tested regardless of whether its child care benefit, medical cards, dole etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

PCros wrote: »
    The reason they aren't touching the dole money is probably down to the fact that nearly 400,000 people are on it, if they take it away/reduce you would have those people (myself included) cutting back on consumer spending.

Frankly I would give my right arm to get a job and as said in a previous post, standing in a queue is so depressing!

People who are on the dole since 18 months or less should not be cut.
    People who has been on the dole since the new millennium should be cut at least 25%.
    From 2000 till 2006 it was almost easier to get a job than to get a fresh bread.

inforfun wrote: »
    People who has been on the dole since the new millennium should be cut at least 25%.
    From 2000 till 2006 it was almost easier to get a job than to get a fresh bread.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

You'll be just fine because if you have a qualifying child you are exempt...

(WHEW! It felt good to be able to deliver a bit of good news :))

líreacán wrote: »
    READ BELOW:

And maybe start taking public transport? Walking? Save on petrol costs anyway.

Do you know how much the bus costs were I live?
    Do you think tis easy to get a baby on a bus with 1 seat left..if im lucky..?

i know a single mother that takes her kids on the bus every day, whats your point? its cheaper to get a weekly/monthly bus pass than fill up the petrol for few days

just because you cant drive your kids to school now in a tank and be a yummy mummy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

inforfun wrote: »

Exactly what do you think that would achieve now that people can't get jobs even when they have recent experience and a full CV?

You have to be realistic.

aare wrote: »
    Exactly what do you think that would achieve now that people can't get jobs even when they have recent experience and a full CV?

You have to be realistic.

i don't see how anyone with good CV would have trouble not finding a job anywhere in 18 months

I don't think he was giving out to you but just trying to make a helpful suggestion.
    It's not easy on anyone, especially anyone with a family, but save your anger for when some idiot politician comes knocking on your door for a vote & then let rip :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭líreacán

I don't think it's "easy". But then again, its not an "easy" time, maybe ask someone to give up their seat for you and the baby? I don't know where you live. How much does the bus cost? More than petrol? Can you organise a car pool system with friends and neighbours? Cut your trips down? You aren't working, so there's no need to use the bus everyday.

This is off topic anyway, so this is the last I'll say on the matter.

• Advertisement

ionix5891 wrote: »
    i know a single mother that takes her kids on the bus every day, whats your point? its cheaper to get a weekly/monthly bus pass than fill up the petrol for few days

just because you cant drive your kids to school now in a tank and be a yummy mummy :D

Well the bus were I live is
    1. Never on time.
    2. doesnt have weekly passes.
    3. Is alwaus jam packed.
    4. Is a long walk from my house.

Dont think you know **** cuz u dont.

Advertisement