Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No decrease in Social Welfare Payments?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Heineken Helen

Sillysausage has admitted he is not fully motivated to finding work because the dole is so generous. Why would others not feel the same? My sons are working so I suppose my comment is hypothetical really. I think any job is worth doing, but some young people over the last few years turned their noses up at minimum wage jobs.

well, for a start, sillysausage lives at home, right? Even though sillysausage is paying rent, it still gives plenty of security. Also I suspect that sillysausage is just being a sillysausage... there are very few people who think like that.

And of COURSE they turned their noses up at minimum wage jobs cos they knew they could get 10euro an hour no problem... it's a different story now. You're talking about an agegroup who were never in this situation before and never knew how bad it could get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

Kurtza wrote: »
    The only reason they can't really cut social welfare is because so many people are living off the dole. And as a previous poster said it would be political suicide.

Well please don't put us all in that group. I was made unemployed and having one child and another on the way it isn't easy at all my other baby is due in November and I'm wondering how I'll get by.

I'll say though the means test is a joke. I know plenty of people who are under 25 live with their parents but claim off a different address then when the social call the person at the house just says yes that person lives but there not here ATM after 2/3 calls they stop calling.
    How hard have you tried for a job? What do you do all day? Do you do any voluntary work? I think if you look hard enough you will get work. I appreciate your honest post btw.

Jobs are going left, right and center and you think it's easy to find work!

Jobs are going left, right and center and you think it's easy to find work!

I know... it's beyond belief... oh if we just focus our minds the job will come to US????? :rolleyes:

I'm applying for plenty of jobs on websites that show how many other people have applied. There actually ARE quite a few jobs in my field where I live... HOWEVER there are 300 people applying for each one :o not easy to even get a reply saying you've been unsuccessful. Some people just have NO idea what's going on at the mo... if I was still in my job, I probably wouldn't think it was as bad as it is either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Sillysausage has admitted he is not fully motivated to finding work because the dole is so generous. Why would others not feel the same? My sons are working so I suppose my comment is hypothetical really. I think any job is worth doing, but some young people over the last few years turned their noses up at minimum wage jobs.

I see what you mean
    I think it's true that the dole is quite generous if your at home and it is really only "going out money"
    It is true that noses have been turned up at certain jobs in the past and now those jobs would be coveted.
    Hopefully, we will learn some serious lessons this time and not repeat our mistakes in the future:)
    Just have to find a way out of this mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

The LACK of Minimum wage jobs! I have lost count of going away parties for friends having to move out of the country to find work, When you have Gas,Esb,Food,Clothes 205 euro a week is not that much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 ScarletO'Hara

I know... it's beyond belief... oh if we just focus our minds the job will come to US????? :rolleyes:

I'm applying for plenty of jobs on websites that show how many other people have applied. There actually ARE quite a few jobs in my field where I live... HOWEVER there are 300 people applying for each one :o not easy to even get a reply saying you've been unsuccessful. Some people just have NO idea what's going on at the mo... if I was still in my job, I probably wouldn't think it was as bad as it is either.

I was being specific to sillysausage. Of course I realise how difficult it is out there and I have huge sympathy for everyone who has lost their job, particularly if they have a young family, and expecting more. I hope you both succeed in your endeavours to find work. I know it is old fashioned but is knocking on doors or cold calling on businesses so out of date now. I know website are one way but what about the old ways? Just curious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I was being specific to sillysausage. Of course I realise how difficult it is out there and I have huge sympathy for everyone who has lost their job, particularly if they have a young family, and expecting more. I hope you both succeed in your endeavours to find work. I know it is old fashioned but is knocking on doors or cold calling on businesses so out of date now. I know website are one way but what about the old ways? Just curious?
    Seriously where do you live??
    I live in Wicklow And its been seriously hit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Dole probably seems a lot of money to some people right now but in reality it doesn't go that far. Coming from earning a fairly decent salary, and paying tax on that I might add, it has been a major kick in the ass to reign myself in to live on €204 a week considering I have a car loan to keep up with, trying my best to sell the car but like everything at the moment it's a slow process.

Anyway it's not by choice I'm signing on & I would only love to have a job to go into but I don't & I'm not the only one out there feeling like this.

It does bug me when I have to go into social welfare to sign on once a month & I can hand pick people in the queue who have never done a days work & has no ambition to. It bugs me even more when I'm standing directly behind some of them & get the whiff of last nights beer. And it nearly makes me cry when I see those exact same people strolling from the pub to the bookies & back each day. You might think I'm making this up but I'm not. It makes my blood boil.

I'm a little bit surprised they didn't do something with social welfare but I'm going to be honest & say that I'm glad. I honestly don't see how I could survive financially if it was lowered by more than €10. Things are that tight.
    But I'm not stupid enough not to know that it must be soul destroying for people to work on average a 39 hour week & come out with slightly more. I can see exactly why people would feel this way but I can tell you that being on the dole is not all it's cracked up to be, contrary to what some people might think.

Theres a lot to be said for having your pride & it's hard to find that standing in a dole queue.

Really well said. That sums up how i feel too.
    I was working in finance for 7 years, and was let go before christmas. Applied like crazy since, but got 1 interview in 4 months. Its just impossible to get anything it seems.
    I had to leave my rented house in Dublin, and now at 29 i am back in parents house where i don't want to be, and they don't want me to be. I pay them €50 a week just to contribute something, as i feel so bad being here at this stage.
    I am doing a course in accounting/Finance just to be doing something and improving skills which works out at €45 a week. Then if i have 1 night out thats anywhere from 30-50 including taxis etc. On a sunday id go to a gaa game which is tenner in. Then theres food when in town, god forbid buy an item of clothing or whatever. Your 200 is gone in no time! A decrease would have be devastating to me too.

The signing on is soul destroying, add to that having to live at home with parents again, your freedom gone, no holidays, etc and its does get you down.

I would love to get a job no matter how crap, just to get me off that dole queue. But in a town like Carlow its impossible to find :(

So i am so happy there was no reduction in the dole today. Its hard enough cope as it is, without getting a reduction in that too.

Thank you :) I just wanted to remind people that many of us aren't just sitting on our lazy arses doing nothing :o

Pretty much everyone I've met I HAVE asked if they know of any work (word of mouth is still huge). I certainly have dropped my cv into random places and even cold called (but it's not something I'm naturally good at but I'll keep trying :o ). I've been on several interviews and agencies are drooling over my CV for some reason :D but employers don't seem to see anything interesting enough to call me in. The interviews have kept me nice and busy though :) and I've used the time to realise how much more I can give to a job in the future. I've considered setting up my own business... I've tried pretty much EVERY avenue.

I've also been doing some courses to show these months haven't been a complete waste of time.

Stevecw wrote: »
    I was working in finance for 7 years, and was let go before christmas. Applied like crazy since, but got 1 interview in 4 months. Its just impossible to get anything it seems.
    I had to leave my rented house in Dublin, and now at 29 i am back in parents house where i don't want to be, and they don't want me to be. I pay them €50 a week just to contribute something, as i feel so bad being here at this stage.
    I am doing a course in accounting/Finance just to be doing something and improving skills which works out at €45 a week. Then if i have 1 night out thats anywhere from 30-50 including taxis etc. On a sunday id go to a gaa game which is tenner in. Then theres food when in town, god forbid buy an item of clothing or whatever. Your 200 is gone in no time! A decrease would have be devastating to me too.

The signing on is soul destroying, add to that having to live at home with parents again, your freedom gone, no holidays, etc and its does get you down.

I would love to get a job no matter how crap, just to get me off that dole queue. But in a town like Carlow its impossible to find :(

So i am so happy there was no reduction in the dole today. Its hard enough cope as it is, without getting a reduction in that too.

Sometimes it's worse than a full time job... and just as stressful... it's so tough to try and remain positive. I usually just come home and try to forget about it but there was ONE day (I'm quite proud I've kept it down to one lol) where I came home and just sobbed for hours. I actually felt better after it:o but that's why these threads annoy me so much... they've no idea how much their words add to what's already a horrible situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 ScarletO'Hara

Please see my post above yours. I really hope some light shines at the end of the tunnel for all of you. Keep busy if you can until something turns up, hopefully

Sometimes it's worse than a full time job... and just as stressful... it's so tough to try and remain positive. I usually just come home and try to forget about it but there was ONE day (I'm quite proud I've kept it down to one lol) where I came home and just sobbed for hours. I actually felt better after it:o but that's why these threads annoy me so much... they've no idea how much their words add to what's already a horrible situation.

Everything you say is so true Helen! I've had 3 jobs in my career so far, 2 i liked, 1 i hated ...but right now i'd even take that job i hated again if they offered it to me on reduced wages. Thats how bad i feel about my situation right now.
    I find it almost impossible to remain positive as i can see there is no chance of finding a job soon.
    I hate being at home with parents at my age...but fair play to them they understand are are doing their best.
    I hate to admit it, but i've cried a few nights recently just thinking about how bad things have become. At times i feel like the me of a year or 2 ago...that happy guy who enjoyed life and things were going great for was someone else!
    Anyway enough public crying here! I guess i am gone a bit off topic now.

I'd like to get your reply by pm if possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

I hate to admit it, but i've cried a few nights recently just thinking about how bad things have become. At times i feel like the me of a year or 2 ago...that happy guy who enjoyed life and things were going great for was someone else!
    Anyway enough public crying here! I guess i am gone a bit off topic now.

It takes a real man to cry and admit it Steve...

I wish you the very, VERY best of luck...

(DAMN this is starting to feel like the Dining Room on Titanic!)

aare wrote: »
    It takes a real man to cry and admit it Steve...

I wish you the very, VERY best of luck...

(DAMN this is starting to feel like the Dining Room on Titanic!)

Haha, well i like to think i am a real man...despite this public outburst which might ruin that!!!
    Good that i use a different name here so most mates won't recognise me i hope!! :D
    Geeze if they do i'm in for a horrid slagging!!

Yep the sinking Titanic is an apt summary of my feelings right now actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sillysasauge

The dole money is far too comfortable, i'm not gonna give it up to do a minimum wage job, i spend all my spare time doing things i didnt have time to do when i did have a job. I love it to be honest, im spending all my time doing things i like and learning stuff i always wanted to learn and still having the same social life i did before. I would only stop for a job i am genuinely interested in at this stage.

They should cut my dole in half! See how I like it then!!!!

You would go less mad if you were working, even for the minimum wage. You never know what it might lead to or who you might meet. If you are ambitious and hardworking I think opportunities arise. I would be very unhappy if my sons were claiming the dole to be honest. I'm not sure my husband would let them stay at home. But I think you have a bit of get up and go so hopefully you won't be a burden on the state for much longer. Good luck.

Thank God most parents don't share you and your husbands attitiude. Most people signing on atm are not signing on because they want money fo rfree it's because their jobs are gone. You may not j#have noticed but there is a recesion going on, there are no jobs.

I'm a student who is all but broke after spending my savings in order to put myself through my first year of college. I get no grant, no back to education, nothing from the government. I was told today that I am not entitled to sign on to the dole and as such chances are I'm going to have to drop out of college as I just can't afford it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

With the greatest respect - you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

Yes, the dole has a lot of lazy gits on it - thats what you get in an affluent society that lacks the maturity to be able to cope with things like alcohol, sex and drugs in a responsible manner.

There are hundreds of thousands now on the dole or unemployed - none of whom prefer their situation to having a job but unfortunately, thanks to the excuse a recession gives large businesses and the harm it does to small ones there is no work. There are no credit control jobs anywhere but Tallaght and Santry - no use to people in Sligo or Carlow or even Wicklow. There are fewer IT positions where competition has always been heavy. Ireland has a lousy infrastructure of scientific concerns and which finance companies are actually stable enough right now to take on staff? What of the small business who is suffering reduced slaes as people stuff their money in the mattress? Can they afford to take on three or four more staff?

The dole and job seekers is a life-line for many. Yes, some people are still living at home but their are a lot of us who aren't or can't. We have the same electricity bills you have. We have to pay our rent just like you and many of us can't claim rent allowance. We have to eat.

It currently takes up to six months just to get on the dole and its looking like it could get longer. Job seekers is means tested and subject to all sorts of stupid little rules that slows down the process. Took voluntary redundancy? Wait 9 weeks - minimum! Quit because of your health or because your company asked you to do something illegal? Wait 9 weeks minimum. Fill in a form wrong? Wait 4 weeks minimum. Even then paperwork has a suspicious habit of going missing in local offices which causes delay after delay after delay.

I had to wait from June until August (13 weeks) to get anything from the social welfare people. There is only so long that savings last - if you are lucky enough to have any - then you are down merely to your wits and what you can beg, borrow or steal. It's a degrading and ugly way to live but in 2009 Ireland you have to.

I havent even had an interview since June 2008. Recruitment agents have stopped calling even though I'm applying for jobs everyday. There simply isnt the work out there.

I'll make this is as simple as I can for those of you who think that people on the dole are just whinging or parasites on society.

Most of us PAID for our dole over our working life - we're entitled to the use of the support system we financed and will finance again when we are working. The same system you will need if and when you lose your livlihood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

i spend my days cooking, keeping fit, learning spanish and my mums teaching me to drive, and just finished a 10 week evening course there recently. Need to keep myself busy or ill go mad. I think for anyone on the dole it's a good chance to learn skills that you wouldn't have the time for if you where working full time.

That's very productive use of your free time especially the learning to drive bit (stressed me out a lot for about 6 months at the time). This is a skill which will make you more employable later. It's likely you'll want a different lifestyle at some point, maybe if you meet a girlfriend. Right now for someone like you I'm kind of thinking "carry on" and leave whatever jobs are there for the people who cannot cope with being unemployed. I hope you take up the suggestion of voluntary work.
    You would go less mad if you were working, even for the minimum wage. You never know what it might lead to or who you might meet. If you are ambitious and hardworking I think opportunities arise. .

There was a long thread in After Hours about this. People were suggesting that a minimum wage job doesn't add much to your sense of self worth. I agree with this but I know some people would prefer to work under any circumstances.
    gcgirl wrote: »
    When you have Gas,Esb,Food,Clothes 205 euro a week is not that much!

Food €40-50 a week, clothes not needed every week maybe another €40 in Penneys and there's still money left over for gas and esb. But some people on the dole have a lot of personal debt and credit cards from when they were working. That's when life on €200 becomes impossible.

OK, I believe you are completely genuine and hope you can find work again soon. But when I read the bits I've put in bold I have to say your new lifestyle isn't that bad, you can afford to do an expensive course, a night out, a football match, clothes now and again, to pay rent....

Now I completely understand that there's nothing left after that and I'm not criticising you in any way for going out and going to football matches. In fact I think it's important to maintain some social life when unemployed to prevent depression setting in.

I'm just making the point that people on minimum wage and people like me who pay mortgages don't have it any better than you.

About the holidays I saw another post somewhere on boards from an unemployed person putting €30 a week towards holidays. In your case that money goes towards the course instead. It's about priorities. Different people will spend the money on different things.

I'd be interested if someone could explain what sort of lifestyle they had before if they think this new lifestyle is unbearable. I was a student for years, then I was saving for a house deposit, now I'm paying the mortgage and bills alone so I'm used to having very little money. If I spend €100 on a night out, it wouldn't be more than once every few months. Apart from that it would be cheaper things like cinema or theatre. I go to Dublin or London for a weekend sometimes when I tend to spend a bit on clothes (almost always in the sales). I have lunches out with girlfriends,...

That's all my lifestyle consists of, none of that is overly expensive, I could easily maintain that on €204 (but not the mortgage, car loan, credit card and all the household bills)

Edited to add, I think it's good that people are spending the dole money, be it on holidays, drink, further education, driving lessons, clothes...at least it's going back into the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The problem hivemind187 is this country simply can’t afford our social welfare system, now you can increase taxes on everyone working to try and cover the increase cost in the numbers on the dole but not 1 single economy in the world has ever taxed its way out of a recession, the more tax you increase the more you cut the less disposal income available to buy services and products and thus more jobs are lost more taxes come and you have a vicious cycle.

The social welfare payments are too high, that’s a hard thing to swallow if you had a good job during the boom and got a big mortgage to buy a house that you now can’t afford, but the country can’t go bankrupt because people want to bailed out.

The first reaction by most people is “ah but they can bail out the banks”, they have no choice the banks have to be bailed out, without a flowing banking system the economy will suffer even more, the problem is they need to go in and nationalise the banks, but won’t because of the amount of international investors who own shares in the banks.

People don’t understand that the money for social welfare has to come from somewhere, the Government can’t print money they can’t raise huge money in Tax increases because as I said above that will kill the economy. We know people are suffering but sadly no-one made people get mortgages on homes, no-one made people go on 2 or 3 holidays a year or buy a new car every 2 years.

The cost of living is reducing so the cost of social welfare has to reduce, either that or we bankrupt the country and the IMF will come in and people will know what real pain is then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭PaulHardwick

The dole money is far too comfortable, i'm not gonna give it up to do a minimum wage job, i spend all my spare time doing things i didnt have time to do when i did have a job. I love it to be honest, im spending all my time doing things i like and learning stuff i always wanted to learn and still having the same social life i did before. I would only stop for a job i am genuinely interested in at this stage.

They should cut my dole in half! See how I like it then!!!!

Note, I am not really on the dole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

The dole and job seekers is a life-line for many. Yes, some people are still living at home but their are a lot of us who aren't or can't. We have the same electricity bills you have. We have to pay our rent just like you and many of us can't claim rent allowance. We have to eat.

That's exactly the problem. People's circumstances are so different, yet everyone gets the same money. You are either unemployed or you are not. There are no different levels of need for older people who have worked for years and paid a lot of tax who now have mortgages, car loans, maxed credit cards vs young people living at home with no outgoings.

There isn't a way of means testing to find out if someone is in real need or just planning to live a fun student lifestyle for a bit. Rent allowance application is completely separate from the dole, it's done through the HSE/Health boards so it isn't taken into consideration if you have to pay rent or not out of €204.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

1st point people dont go from earning 600euro a week to 200euro, on top of 200 euro theirs the benefits of rent allowance, medical card among other tings, so in fact its not fair to say the drop is to 200euro.

Also i know its hard live on dole, but to anyone who gives out in this country saying it aint enough try moving to england and live on what the give out then you'll see.

Ireland is welfare nation, time for unions to be put in their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

http://www.budget.gov.ie/2009SupApri...#SocialWelfare)

Quote:
    The personal rate of Jobseeker’s Allowance and basic Supplementary Allowance will be reduced for new claimants under 20 years of age to €100 per week from the first week of May 2009. The Qualified Adult rate payable to a Jobseeker’s Allowance/ basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance claimant aged under 20 years will also be €100 per week. These reduced personal and Qualified Adult rates of payment will not apply where a claimant is entitled to an increase for a Qualified Child

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I believe that most would agree that we should have a financial lifeline in the event we lose our jobs. Additionally, I doubt anyone could defend the sub-culture that exists that allows some in our Society to essentially live off the fat of the land for their entire lives.

The problem, from what I can see, is there is actually very little reward in Ireland for working. Indeed, we are penalised for it. As a case in point is the difference between jobseekers benefit and assistance; the former is not means tested and the latter is. That's pretty much the difference as you get paid more or less the same amount. As for this means testing, it's actually laughable - you don't get docked a cent unless you have over €20,000 in the bank, for example, and even then only a few Euro per week. That's pretty much it.

So you pay your PRSI for years, work hard, and what do you get for it? Realistically little or nothing more than someone who's never paid a cent.

I was on the Dole for a while in the mid-nineties, and at the time I worked out that I realistically I could get a graduate job that paid me £2k or so more p.a. once you took all the payments (Dole, rent allowance, etc) and benefits (medical card, etc) into account. And that was before nixers.

A lot of countries employ an alternative unemployment insurance system. You pay your equivalent of PRSI and if you lose your job you get two thirds or three quarters of your last salary (up so a reasonable cap) for a year or two. Then you're cut off or you're put on the statuary unemployment payments (that are generally substance level). In short, you get what you pay for.

But this would go against the quasi-socialist ethos of Ireland. Here, we're all equal, regardless of whether we spend our days in the office or in the pub; so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Of course it doesn't take a genius to work out why social welfare payments have come out of the budget relatively unscathed. Other than the increase in registered voters on the Dole, people working are an electoral lost cause - they're not voting anyway Fianna Fail next time round for screwing up the economy. But the perennial unemployed will remember that Brian didn't sell them out when it comes to voting time.

sunnyside wrote: »
    Now I completely understand that there's nothing left after that and I'm not criticising you in any way for going out and going to football matches. In fact I think it's important to maintain some social life when unemployed to prevent depression setting in.

I think it is also important to realise that one way people find work of any kind (and certainly self employment, that needs encouraging in times of high unemployment) is through word of mouth and having some kind of social life.

Actually, the rent supplement changes will amount to a reduction of anywhere between 12 -25% (depending on geographical location and circumstances) in social welfare base rate for anyone already in receipt of rent supplement.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Press/PressReleases/2009/Pages/pr070409.aspx
    • Entitlement is being restricted to individuals who have been an existing tenant for at least six months or who have been placed on a local authority housing list following a full housing assessment. This measure is intended to avoid people moving into private rented accommodation simply because of the availability of Rent Supplement.
    • The minimum contribution that recipients of Rent Supplement & Mortgage Interest Supplement make towards their rent or mortgage is being increased from €18 to €24 per week (This will bring rent supplement contributions more in line with local authority differential rents).
    • The maximum rent limits that will apply to new Rent Supplement payments are being reduced to reflect reductions in private rent levels in recent months. Reductions will be 6% to 7% on average, ranging up to 10%, depending on the geographical area and household size.
    In order to encourage landlords of existing rent supplement tenants to reduce their rents given the reductions in the market as a whole, the payments currently being made to tenants are being reduced by 8%. While tenants are contractually obliged to pay the rent agreed to in their lease, it is hoped that landlords will decrease the rent in recognition of the fact that rents have fallen generally and that there are now a large number of vacant rental properties nationally.

This is extraordinarily arbitrary and unfair. An overall 10% reduction would have been fairer. As it stands, the less property you own outright, the less family support you have, and the more family support you have to pay for, the more you will be penalised.

It also stands to penalise long standing private tenants, anyone who is already paying the lowest possible rent, and anyone too vulnerable to negotiate a lower rent, or move, including pensioners and the disabled.

That was a really, REALLY bad, and unfair, move.

Villain wrote: »
    The problem hivemind187 is this country simply can’t afford our social welfare system, now you can increase taxes on everyone working to try and cover the increase cost in the numbers on the dole but not 1 single economy in the world has ever taxed its way out of a recession, the more tax you increase the more you cut the less disposal income available to buy services and products and thus more jobs are lost more taxes come and you have a vicious cycle.

The social welfare payments are too high, that’s a hard thing to swallow if you had a good job during the boom and got a big mortgage to buy a house that you now can’t afford, but the country can’t go bankrupt because people want to bailed out.

The first reaction by most people is “ah but they can bail out the banks”, they have no choice the banks have to be bailed out, without a flowing banking system the economy will suffer even more, the problem is they need to go in and nationalise the banks, but won’t because of the amount of international investors who own shares in the banks.

People don’t understand that the money for social welfare has to come from somewhere, the Government can’t print money they can’t raise huge money in Tax increases because as I said above that will kill the economy. We know people are suffering but sadly no-one made people get mortgages on homes, no-one made people go on 2 or 3 holidays a year or buy a new car every 2 years.

The cost of living is reducing so the cost of social welfare has to reduce, either that or we bankrupt the country and the IMF will come in and people will know what real pain is then.

Why should I have to pay cos the government mismanaged the taxes I've been paying all these years? It's not my fault they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery... I paid those taxes with the return of a promise of where they were going to and that I would have SOME security were I ever in a situation where I can pay no further taxes.

So the government don't pay, the banks don't pay... even though they've BOTH been squandering our money for years... WE have to pay??? Again? That's simply unacceptable. They need to answer to me and tell me where my taxes have gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Why should I have to pay cos the government mismanaged the taxes I've been paying all these years?
    Because you elected them. Perhaps not you personally, but collectively responsibility rests with the people in a democracy and that includes you.

That means that if we made a bad choice in leaders or did not bother to vote, the buck still ultimately stops with us. Tough.

Because you elected them. Perhaps not you personally, but collectively responsibility rests with the people in a democracy and that includes you.

That means that if we made a bad choice in leaders or did not bother to vote, the buck still ultimately stops with us. Tough.

I don't buy that... if I don't do my job, can I just say to my boss 'well you were stupid for employing me?' or anybody who HAS squandered plenty of money in their job has been held personally responsible, either by losing their job or been prosecuted or punished in some way.

I would have no reservations against a tiered system for welfare though... but I guess it means more hoops to jump through. I've been paying taxes for 12 years... but I wouldn't have a problem with receiving less money than someone who's been paying for 30 years... kinda like in employment anyway, the longer you're there the more you're paid.

To be honest, I AM surprised the dole wasn't reduced... even 5euro would have saved them a couple of million a WEEK :o or have I just completely miscalculated that?:D And if anybody truly believes that they cannot survive without that 5euro they will have access to somebody who can help them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

How hard have you tried for a job? What do you do all day? Do you do any voluntary work? I think if you look hard enough you will get work. I appreciate your honest post btw.

How long is a piece of string? You are living in the clouds... FFS. Sick of this snobbery crap. You have no idea how difficult it is to find work, it is next to impossible.
    You would go less mad if you were working, even for the minimum wage. You never know what it might lead to or who you might meet. If you are ambitious and hardworking I think opportunities arise. I would be very unhappy if my sons were claiming the dole to be honest. I'm not sure my husband would let them stay at home. But I think you have a bit of get up and go so hopefully you won't be a burden on the state for much longer. Good luck.

Why would you be unhappy about that? What would the neighbours say, gosh, scarlets children are on the dole, they must be druggies... etc etc.

A burden on the state? A BURDEN ON THE STATE? Are you for real woman??? You can't be. People do not chose this sh!t lifestyle, people do want to work (some retards don't but to hell with them bastards) the state offered this service... I cannot see how people on social welfare are a burden. Next it will be people not making a lot of money who are burdens, not paying enough taxes...

People think that the problem is people not wanting to work, where the hell are these magically jobs going to come from? The magical job fair is going to come along and wave her wand, hey presto we all have jobs... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement