Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water tank question and good plumber in meath ?

Options
  • 07-04-2009 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I have an awful smell in the house so got into the attic. I have three water tanks

1. Very small one with ball cock for gas heating system I am guessing.
    2. Large one with ball cock for cold water
    3. One inlet pipe dangled over attic beams and two outlets. I am guessing
    this is an expansion tank for the immerision heater as no water normally
    runs in.

It is tank three which has a serious bacterial soup in it and stinks. I can see
    two 22mm outlets but no valve that I can find to check if it is closed.

My questions are:
    1. Any idea what the third thank is for ?
    2. Any idea why it is not empty maybe it shouldnt be ?
    3. Anyone know of a plumber in Ashbourne/meath who knows his stuff.
    Tried a few and no callbacks.

Thanks
    Whimsey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

IF you look closely there should be a pipe connecting the two tanks together. I am not sure if plumbers just take the piss when doing these but have come across a few piped the wrong way round. With our one the tank with the cold feed going into it also was the one with the outlet pipes. So our second tank would never get used unless the first one was drained right down as the connecting pipe is right on the base between the two. This in turn caused the water in the second tank to form a bad scum on the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

It's known as "marrying" two tanks usually done in areas with a poor water supply as it doubles the amount of water you have stored.

As cubix pointed out if the tanks are not piped properly the water in the one not used on will stagnate.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭whimsey

Thanks alot for that it makes sense. I got into the attic again and can not
    find the tanks joined its a mystery. It is hard to see it so I might be missing it.

Time to get the professionals in I think ,if for no other reason the cleanup of the tank is not something I want to tackle !.

Anyone suggest someone that might do the job in Ashbourne area ?

Regards
    Whimsey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Plumbing - haven't a clue but...

Can recommend Ratoath Plumbing and Heating, Ollie Callaghan good plumber that won't take your granny as a down payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Just re-read your post and seems like your tanks might be piped the right way as you say on tank 3 there is two outlet pipes but no cold feed as this is going to tank 2. IF this is the case then the two tanks are more than likely connected as there is no other way for water to get into tank 3. I think you will always get a certain amount of scum on tank 3 (i think its just the hardness in the water in Ashbourne). To check its all working properly you should turn on the cold in the bath and see if tank 3 starts to empty and then tank 2's ball cock should drop and start to fill it up.
    Before we switched are pipes around the right way there was never really a bad smell just alot of scum on the water. IF you have an internal soil stack like we do it goes into the attic and is then vented out to the roof via a vented roof tile. The connection between the soil stack and roof tile is one of those felxi pipes and if this is ripped or has come off it causes a smell to build up inside the attic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cubix wrote: »
    IF you look closely there should be a pipe connecting the two tanks together. I am not sure if plumbers just take the piss when doing these but have come across a few piped the wrong way round. With our one the tank with the cold feed going into it also was the one with the outlet pipes. So our second tank would never get used unless the first one was drained right down as the connecting pipe is right on the base between the two. This in turn caused the water in the second tank to form a bad scum on the top.
    I'm not sure I understand that. Surely if the two tanks are joined by a pipe near the base, then when water is drained from the one, the water level in both tanks will drop by equal amounts, regardless of which tank the outlet is plumbed into? By virtue of being connected together , the two tanks effectively become one. Assuming the connecting pipe isn't bunged up with something, that is, which seems a more likely reason to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

egan007 wrote: »
    Plumbing - haven't a clue but...

Can recommend Ratoath Plumbing and Heating, Ollie Callaghan good plumber that won't take your granny as a down payment.

Is this Ollie from Grasshill developments?????

Hi Whimsey

The tank connection thing is right. If you dont figure it and want next time I am passing through ashborne I can drop by you house and have a look. I am not a plumber but in the plumbing game 11 years.

Why would I do this. Cause like you I am p1ssed off at plumbers ripping people off.

Interesting. But with respect the judgements would be plain to see on records if anyone looked surley. How do you check into aspects of this when picking an outfit. More importantly when you say you have been on the receiving end surly this is slanderous if its not on official record. Also the orig poster that rec him would have to know something of this as well.

Advertisement