Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Cerebral Hypoxia

Options
  • 07-04-2009 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, I'm not sure if this belongs here or on PI, so mods move it if ye feel it necessary.

I recently had a baby who had to be delivered by emergency c-section due to problems with a raised heartbeat and decreased oxygen intake. They told me nothing at the time in the hospital and fobbed me off, but took him away for 12 hours without explanation. According to the websites that shows he was a high risk candidate for this situation.

At this stage he should have reached certain infant milestones but has not. I was discussing the situation with a friend of mine who is a med student who told me to go and research all i could on cerebral hypoxia to see if my son had symptoms of it. Scarily my friend also showed me their lecture notes and i went on reputable med colleges approved websites and he has most of them. It causes different levels of brain damage and causes cerebral palsy. I want to get tests done but sadly they have to wait until he's older to do these tests. All I can do is look out for him not reaching milestones. The hospital never told me the whole story and according to my friend are in a position where I can sue them, I don't want to but I really wish they were totally honest with me. I am really terrified for my son and waiting around to see if he misses important milestones is upsetting.

I am 22 and a nursing student, I do not know how I could cope with him being brain damaged on top of everything. I love him more than anything in this world but now I don't know what to do, are there other people who have family members with this problem on this forum??? Could ye please let me know. I would appreciate it if I had people with this situation in their home life to talk to. Thank you:)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

While I appreciate your concerns- until such time as you have received a definitive diagnosis confirming this condition, I am closing this thread. We are not allowed to offer medical opinion or advice, and even discussing your fears could be misleading in the extreme. You need to have your GP refer you to an appropriate consultant. I am more than happy to reopen this thread for you once you have received a diagnosis (whatever that diagnosis may be).

Best wishes,

SMcCarrick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement