Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Budget/Govt measures - Repercussions on Student Gardai

• 07-04-2009 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi, I'm just wondering if there is a ban on promotions and no recruitment until 2010/11, what if any are the consequences on Student Gardai? Student Gardai are only on a 52 week contract, what happens after that? Are we guaranteed to be taken on into the force?

Anything is possible with the current Government? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

controller wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just wondering if there is a ban on promotions and no recruitment until 2010/11, what if any are the consequences on Student Gardai? Student Gardai are only on a 52 week contract, what happens after that? Are we guaranteed to be taken on into the force?

Anything is possible with the current Government? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Good point. But surely once a student doesn't act the Muppet his/her contract will be renewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

Good point. But surely once a student doesn't act the Muppet his/her contract will be renewed.

Well after 52 weeks this takes the Student up to attestation following successful completion of phases 1 -3. The student then becomes a probationary member (as such a 30 yr contract as long as you continue to pass the remaining phases and probationary period). I was just reading the report of the AGSI conference today and the Minister has confirmed that 500 Gardai will be attested this yr. http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0407/garda.html so here's hoping they keep their word and don't do anything else to the organisation.

RIP Gda Robert McCallion you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

I think we're safe enough to be honest. They've already invested money in us and it would just be a complete waste otherwise. Plus they can't afford a further decline in numbers with all of the retirements and the halt on recruitment. I can't possibly see them suddenly decide to let all of us go, a year into our training and just on the cusp of attestation. It doesn't make any sense to me anyway. I think the government have made the Garda suffer enough with their recent decisions without adding anything else to the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

52 week contract??

when was this introduced?

When I was a student we signed the 30yr contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

TheNog wrote: »
    52 week contract??

when was this introduced?

When I was a student we signed the 30yr contract

As far as i remember it was 5 year one that we signed with the super on the 1st week;

Although we did sign a load of crap that week

• Advertisement

Jeez things musta changed shortly after us. There was talk about the college of 5yr contracts though but Im certain we signed the 30yr contract on week 1 of Phase 1.

Did anyone in the college give ye criteria for renewing your contracts when the 5yrs is up?

Im hoping that people would only be let go if they are not up to scratch rather than say if there was an economic crisis such as now

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭privatebob

I would agree with you on that 1 nog. the only way you would not get signed on for a further term is if you werent up to scratch. And if you are to be let go well theres a reason. Its exactly the same with the army! If you dont meet the criteria for your contract good luck!. I just signed my new contract there to keep me in a job till I am called. Hopefully sometime this Millenium!. We can only hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭privatebob

I totally forgot to pose my question during the last post!. With the early retirement plan that was announced yesterday. Do any of you know serving persons with there 30 years done will pack up and run?. Reading the papers today, An average of 80 people a month are going as it is!. That is truly shocking. Furthermore with the gap that is being left by these retirments, who is filling the void!
    The way things are going. The plan a few years back of havin 16,000 garda on the streets around the country has been well and truly scrapped. Are we witnessing a truly nuclear winter in job creation?

privatebob wrote: »
    I totally forgot to pose my question during the last post!. With the early retirement plan that was announced yesterday. Do any of you know serving persons with there 30 years done will pack up and run?. Reading the papers today, An average of 80 people a month are going as it is!. That is truly shocking. Furthermore with the gap that is being left by these retirments, who is filling the void!
    The way things are going. The plan a few years back of havin 16,000 garda on the streets around the country has been well and truly scrapped. Are we witnessing a truly nuclear winter in job creation?

I would imagine there will be no replacements for those who retire or take the early retirement option either so yes we are facing a nuclear winter so to speak.

Unfortunately criminals know this. We are seeing a rise in thefts and burglaries in my district already. Pursuits are up also but these are mostly during the night so criminals are doing their raids during the daytime. Its harder to catch them during the day because they mingle with ordinary day to day traffic. I would expect we will see more day time checkpoints to try to combat this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Joefromcork

controller wrote: »

It wouldn't make any sense to train someone for 52weeks and then let them go?..they would only end up on the dole and cost the Government more money in the long run...I asume the 52 week contract is a legal thing that if you act the langer they can just get rid of you...I wouldn't worry bout it...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

Well the way it was done with us was we signed either a 52 or a 58 wk contract. I can't rem which but that brings the student up to attestation. We were given a copy of the contract. Anyhows my mind is more at ease now after being at a passing out in Templemore this week the Minister confirmed that there were over 1'000 Gardai in training at the moment and made no mention of reducing numbers. I guess we sign the bigger contract at attestation would anyone be able to confirm this?

Advertisement