Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options
  • 07-04-2009 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Whats happening with the N97? Cant seem to find much on it other than it looks unreal!!!
    Or would the 5800 be a good compromise??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

What do you mean? It's not out until the Summer, I believe. It will be priced to compete with the iPhone - something that the 5800XM isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Luckily it is arriving with a feature-set that is still relevant in the current market and will most likely will be in the coming months too. I seriously doubt many handsets will have 32 GB of onboard memory, given the fact that microSD cards are so readily available and at a relatively affordable price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I cant wait for it to be released. Gonna buy it straight away woo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Only thing about all these handsets is there's not a battery out yet that sustains them for a decent period when taking advantage of it's features.

Also looking at this these:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_idou-2683.php
    http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_km900_arena-2666.php

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    Only thing about all these handsets is there's not a battery out yet that sustains them for a decent period when taking advantage of it's features.

Also looking at this these:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_idou-2683.php
    http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_km900_arena-2666.php

My Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1i has a 1500 mAh battery, which lasts about 4 days with the email client polling every 15 minutes, so longer battery life is possible once companies invest in a decent battery.

• Advertisement

Rsaeire wrote: »
    My Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1i has a 1500 mAh battery, which lasts about 4 days with the email client polling every 15 minutes, so longer battery life is possible once companies invest in a decent battery.

Was thinking of getting an Xperia too...I like SE phones more so than Nokia. Would you recommend it?

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting an Xperia too...I like SE phones more so than Nokia. Would you recommend it?

I would recommend it if you're aware that Windows Mobile handsets, of which this is Sony Ericsson's first, are not as straight forward as standard handsets or handsets like the iPhone, as they require a bit of tweaking to get them setup the way you like. In saying that, once you've setup the handset to your liking and installed a few useful applications, you can just sit back and enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shane_O

I have an Iphone now but to be honest have never found any brand as good as nokia.they have all the features you could want but still remain user friendly and reliable.The I phone does have it's perks but lately has been getting on my nerves. The N97 looks to be what may be the ideal phone for me.I'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Mid June for under €600 apparently.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I would recommend it if you're aware that Windows Mobile handsets, of which this is Sony Ericsson's first, are not as straight forward as standard handsets or handsets like the iPhone, as they require a bit of tweaking to get them setup the way you like. In saying that, once you've setup the handset to your liking and installed a few useful applications, you can just sit back and enjoy it.

Ah I see. Not a fan of Windows, in any form! :D

• Advertisement

Shane_O wrote: »
    I have an Iphone now but to be honest have never found any brand as good as nokia.they have all the features you could want but still remain user friendly and reliable.The I phone does have it's perks but lately has been getting on my nerves. The N97 looks to be what may be the ideal phone for me.I'll have to wait and see.

I find symbian os good for a period...then the bugs start to kick in and requires factory resets while you wait for new firmware. Mine's currently turning itself off when I start GPS or the browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

Check www.vodafone.co.uk and search for N97. You can register your interest and they'll update you, hopefully will give a rough price soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Release date of the first week of july on clove but its not confirmed.

Another option that im considering instead of it is the N86,but there's no release date pinned for that yet either

I'm torn. I think I'll wait to see what the new iphone is like. Holding out for a 32GB one of those then make a decision...

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

Davy wrote: »
    Mid June for under €600 apparently.
    Is that on bill or sim free.. :o

kerno wrote: »
    Is that on bill or sim free.. :o

Sim free. Prob price and date aren't confirmed yet though. Will be closer to the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Word on the street is that Nokia are changing the screens on both the N97 and 5800 to capacitive to bring them in line with competitors.

Digitimes isn't the most reputable of streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Elessar wrote: »
    Word on the street is that Nokia are changing the screens on both the N97 and 5800 to capacitive to bring them in line with competitors.

really?
    thats the one thing that has me undecided between this and the touch pro2..
    where did you hear that?
    the n97 would be great if it didn't have a resistive touchscreen :)

I expect that the successor to the 5800XM/N97 will have a capacitive touchscreen, but I wouldn't count on anything within the next 6 months..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Confirmed, the N97 only has a single ARM11 434MHz CPU :( That's slower than some of their other phones! And only 128mb Ram :confused:
    At a time when the competitive products from the corresponding category and price tag are able to offer at least twice better processor with a dedicated GPU, the Nokia’s choice of a humble and outdated single ARM processor design and the insufficient 128 MB of RAM looks like a serious miscalculation if you ask me and I must say that I am very, very disappointed with Nokia's hardware choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Is there any release date yet for the omnia Hd?I think im starting to sway from the n97 given recent reviews,im wondering is the n97 gonna be a flop and cease production fairly soon like the n96?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

eireal wrote: »
    Is there any release date yet for the omnia Hd?I think im starting to sway from the n97 given recent reviews,im wondering is the n97 gonna be a flop and cease production fairly soon like the n96?

What recent reviews ? Its not out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/08/nokia-n97-pre-order-falls-to-524-25-in-the-us/

Pre order price in the states. Great price for it. Pity about the cpu speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/08/nokia-n97-pre-order-falls-to-524-25-in-the-us/

Pre order price in the states. Great price for it. Pity about the cpu speed.

I see that a lot of people have an issue with the cpu and compare againist palm pre , iphone etc. Not sure if its really fair as you cant compare CPU speeds of Nokia as the software is so different. Symbain OS is *supposed* to scale to low end phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

I envy the man who gets it for the $454 coupon code price.. that's a hell of a device for the money.

Baza210 wrote: »
    I envy the man who gets it for the $454 coupon code price.. that's a hell of a device for the money.

Thats €341 by todays rates :) I would wage that amount it wont be that price here ;)

arj-barker.jpg

Double it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

surely given the slow proc speed and small ram the new omnia s60 from samsung is the better bet

Advertisement