Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yeah, i just don't like garmin, the whole searching for places thing seems counter intuitive to me, i just can't get on with it.

there was supposed to be a fix for tomtom to get it working with the n95 by using GPSd to create a fake BT GPS linked to the internal GPS in the phone so that whatever app you are using sees the internal GPS as an external BT GPS. pretty handy, but i never got it to work with tomtom. it did work with barbelo though on the n95, which is handy for wardriving wifi hotspots. :)

Whoop, got it :)
    and you're sitting on here posting?

get to it man, what are you waiting for! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

vibe666 wrote: »
    yeah, i just don't like garmin, the whole searching for places thing seems counter intuitive to me, i just can't get on with it.

there was supposed to be a fix for tomtom to get it working with the n95 by using GPSd to create a fake BT GPS linked to the internal GPS in the phone so that whatever app you are using sees the internal GPS as an external BT GPS. pretty handy, but i never got it to work with tomtom. it did work with barbelo though on the n95, which is handy for wardriving wifi hotspots. :)
    I got that trick workin on my old n95. Took a few attempts though

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

Nokia Maps has improved a lot now, been using them on 5800 from last few weeks and it's very good and full coverage. I might even buy 1 for n97 if i don't get a crack one.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

One thing you cant do with a N97 is put in smileys real fast using the keyboard :mad::);):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Hey all, have been following this thread closely the last few days and have been waiting for this phone to be launched for a long time. Put in my order on Wednesday and got it delivered to work this morning. Am home now so getting stuck into it!

I'm faily novice when it comes to these smart phones but I'm loving it so far. I have one problem though, which I put down to never having a sim free phone before. When I try and connect to the Internet I get a 'Packet Data: Packet Data Connection Not available' when it says that it is going through the 'O2 Ireland - Internet' connection even though I'm connected to my wireless network already??

I saw Vibe666 was having difficulty with his connections and the preferences, any advice anyone on the above?!

I know alot of people have been saying they don't like the physical keyboard on it but I think it's very good!

I'm faily novice when it comes to these smart phones but I'm loving it so far. I have one problem though, which I put down to never having a sim free phone before. When I try and connect to the Internet I get a 'Packet Data: Packet Data Connection Not available' when it says that it is going through the 'O2 Ireland - Internet' connection even though I'm connected to my wireless network already??

Well in 'web' click options, then settings > general > access point, select 'when needed'

Then you you try to browse to a website, you should be get a pop up asking you which connection you want to use. Search for wlan, o2 internet etc

Well in 'web' click options, then settings > general > access point, select 'when needed'

Davy spot on, so simple! Cheers mate I can get using this properly now!!

Davy spot on, so simple! Cheers mate I can get using this properly now!!

Glad to help. Im not happy with a lot of the settings moved about though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Hi All,

Im due an upgrade with 3 at the moment should i hold out for the n97 or go and get the n96 which will cost me 299 euro.

the customer svcs at 3 told me that i dont have to use the upgrade straight away(i allways thought it had to be done in a spefiic time) that it will stay untill i upgrade.

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Im due an upgrade with 3 at the moment should i hold out for the n97 or go and get the n96 which will cost me 299 euro.

the customer svcs at 3 told me that i dont have to use the upgrade straight away(i allways thought it had to be done in a spefiic time) that it will stay untill i upgrade.

I would not even compare the n96 to the n97. I would rather have either n95 than the n96. Its selling point having the tuner which is no use to us. The n97 is a much better purchase and the n96 was always way over priced imo

Davy wrote: »
    Glad to help. Im not happy with a lot of the settings moved about though

It would appear to me that some of the more basic settings seem to be buried within sub menus of sub menus.

Am very impressed with the clarity of the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

Whooo 160 days free navigation, already made a trip to liffey valley to test, working great. thanks nokia.

If anybody is wondering how to get it then go to nokia maps then extras - my licence and update, should show you how many days left.
    cheers

sbhatia wrote: »
    Whooo 160 days free navigation, already made a trip to liffey valley to test, working great. thanks nokia.

If anybody is wondering how to get it then go to nokia maps then extras - my licence and update, should show you how many days left.
    cheers

yes thats exactly hoe do it. It used to be imei based but now they seem to be number basing it.
    It would appear to me that some of the more basic settings seem to be buried within sub menus of sub menus.

Am very impressed with the clarity of the screen

buried yes. Its kinda of a half half job between office folder and phone in settings. The web browsing is perfect, a huge step up from n95. The only minus yet is for super fast texter people like myself the phone cant keep up. The UI is pretty good. Camera is much improved from n95, for most the quickness of the shutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am very impressed with the handset so for.

Just have a question regarding the widgets on the home screen. I have two widgets that access the internet (facebook and the AccuWeather). When at home or in work, I would obviously prefer to use the local wifi hotspot and then resort to using 3G when an access point is not configured.

I have gone into Settings > Connectivity > Destinations and Internet to set what priority each connection has.

The problem I am having is that when I go out of the range of my wifi hotspot, the phone keeps searching for the wifi connection and doesn't revert to using the 3G APN.

Anyone else having this issue and if so, how did you resolve it?

i actually ended up removing the 'live' widgets from my home screen for that reason.

i was hoping it would all be seamless, it would just just wifi f available and then if not, revert to 3g/gprs (and back again), but it doesn't seem to work that efficiently (which is a shame).

i also seem to have my "o2 ie internet" AP set up with limitless access somehow, so it was always connecting it even if my wifi was in range. I ended up moving it out of my internet group in connections in the end to stop it being used (unless someone can figure out a better way).

the WAP AP still works like it always used to on the n95 tho, always only popping up if i specifically try and access something, so that's fine.

i do have a bit of an issue however with the battery life. 100% empty seems to come round very quick if you're a really heavy user.

to be fair, i had bluetooth and wifi on all day and night in my last test yesterday, but it's not so much how much juice it uses, but how quickly it goes from 'lowish' to totally stone dead, and then how hard it is getting it up and running again.

that said, it came off charge at 6:15am yesterday morning and i was using wifi and bluetooth pretty much all day, browsing the web, installing apps etc. and it died totally around 10:30pm, after only one low power beep, just as someone was calling me. :(

twice now i've had it right on the verge of death before i could even get the charger jack near it and both times when i plugged in the power and started to charge it, i've ended up with it on, but locked and in an unlockable state i.e. keyguard jammed on, unable to access anything. the only way i could get out of it was to pull the battery to kill it, put it back and then leave it (turned off) on charge for 30 minutes before i started it up again.

i can classify it under the 'quirks' section for now and learn to deal with it, but it's a bit of a PITA. to start with i thought the little keylock rocker switch was fooked, so i was a little nervous.

it's also an absolute canute to do anything with in the car. yes i know that i'm not supposed to do anything with it in the car, but when it's screaming to be plugged in you have to do 'something' with it.

had to pull over because there was no way i'd get it in the cradle and then the charger in the side without hitting a tree, unlike most phones which are easy enough to put on charge one handed.

it's just niggles tho, overall i'm more chuffed to bits than someone who got crossed by a steam train. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 desyd

hmm i cannt connect to any videos on youtube on the n97 any one else having this problem or just me, just goes to loading then message pops up cannot connect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bastardable

Any of you cunning foxes know when Meteor plan on taking the N97? I read in the Irish Times Yesterday that they plan on selling it?

desyd wrote: »
    hmm i cannt connect to any videos on youtube on the n97 any one else having this problem or just me, just goes to loading then message pops up cannot connect.

Are you browsing to youtube.com in the web browser rather that using the youtube app in the applications folder. Some videos are not available for mobiles. Using the youtube app i haven't had a problem yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 desyd

Davy wrote: »
    Are you browsing to youtube.com in the web browser rather that using the youtube app in the applications folder. Some videos are not available for mobiles. Using the youtube app i haven't had a problem yet

got it working was just a setting i had to change in real player :)

• Advertisement

i do have a bit of an issue however with the battery life. 100% empty seems to come round very quick if you're a really heavy user.

that said, it came off charge at 6:15am yesterday morning and i was using wifi and bluetooth pretty much all day, browsing the web, installing apps etc. and it died totally around 10:30pm, after only one low power beep, just as someone was calling me. :(

Have to agree with that, the exact same thing happened to me. One warning beep and then got a phone call and the phone turned off.

In relation to watching videos, I transerred some .avi files to the phone but couldn't view them on it, does video format have to be real player format?

Have to agree with that, the exact same thing happened to me. One warning beep and then got a phone call and the phone turned off.

In relation to watching videos, I transerred some .avi files to the phone but couldn't view them on it, does video format have to be real player format?

Convert them to MPEG4, WMV, or 3gp all which should be fine

Cheers again Davy, will do that

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Paid £544 sterling with a VAT rate of 21.5%.

I want this phone but man, that's a lot to pay for a phone!

PH4T wrote: »
    I want this phone but man, that's a lot to pay for a phone!
    one of the (very few these days) remaining perks of having a ltd. company is that a phone like this can be classed an essential business tool.

trust me, there are very few benefits to it these days, think of us still working every day we can physically pull ourselves out of bed with our fancy phones when you're off sick and still getting paid or on holiday. :(

of course i'm assuming everyone else is only getting it as an expensable business tool and isn't mad enough to pay for it outright? jebus the missus would murder me if i couldn't get that money back. :o

just a note to say that i've only been using it quite lightly today, maybe 30 minutes of calls, an hour of music over BT in the car, maybe an hour or so of web browsing over 3G/GPRS
    and maybe 30 minutes over wifi and so far since 7am this morning i've only lost 1 bar of power and it's past 1am now.

expect the same usage again tomo so i'll see how the battery does under those conditions, rather than the hammering i gave it yesterday.

incidentally, we were in a phone shop today looking for a 5800 for the missus (now she's fallen in love with the n97 and wants one 'the same' as mine ;)) and the guy in the shops has a 5800 too so he was showing her all the things it does and she says "yeah, it's nice, but it's not quite the same as yours is it, get it out and see how it looks side by side with his" (careful now, down with that sort of thing!).

anyways, his chin just about hit the floor when he saw it. it's now top of my list of "fun things to do with your n97" and i'd highly recommend it whilst the wow factor is still there! :D

probably works best when viewing a 5800 with a phone geek in the shop, there was another guy in a different shop who barely knew which way was up who didn't even bat an eyelid when he asked what it was and i said it was an n97. and he worked in a phone shop! bloody spoilsport, ruining my fun! :(

EDIT: still in love with it anyways and getting used to the controls, it's actually pretty intuitive aside from a few small niggles, but i'm sure a few firmware updates will sort those sooner or later. finding the widgets a little limited in use, especially if you're watching your data and power usage levels and sticking to offline apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

one of the (very few these days) remaining perks of having a ltd. company is that a phone like this can be classed an essential business tool.

trust me, there are very few benefits to it these days, think of us still working every day we can physically pull ourselves out of bed with our fancy phones when you're off sick and still getting paid or on holiday. :(

of course i'm assuming everyone else is only getting it as an expensable business tool and isn't mad enough to pay for it outright? jebus the missus would murder me if i couldn't get that money back. :o

just a note to say that i've only been using it quite lightly today, maybe 30 minutes of calls, an hour of music over BT in the car, maybe an hour or so of web browsing over 3G/GPRS
    and maybe 30 minutes over wifi and so far since 7am this morning i've only lost 1 bar of power and it's past 1am now.

expect the same usage again tomo so i'll see how the battery does under those conditions, rather than the hammering i gave it yesterday.

incidentally, we were in a phone shop today looking for a 5800 for the missus (now she's fallen in love with the n97 and wants one 'the same' as mine ;)) and the guy in the shops has a 5800 too so he was showing her all the things it does and she says "yeah, it's nice, but it's not quite the same as yours is it, get it out and see how it looks side by side with his" (careful now, down with that sort of thing!).

anyways, his chin just about hit the floor when he saw it. it's now top of my list of "fun things to do with your n97" and i'd highly recommend it whilst the wow factor is still there! :D

probably works best when viewing a 5800 with a phone geek in the shop, there was another guy in a different shop who barely knew which way was up who didn't even bat an eyelid when he asked what it was and i said it was an n97. and he worked in a phone shop! bloody spoilsport, ruining my fun! :(

EDIT: still in love with it anyways and getting used to the controls, it's actually pretty intuitive aside from a few small niggles, but i'm sure a few firmware updates will sort those sooner or later. finding the widgets a little limited in use, especially if you're watching your data and power usage levels and sticking to offline apps.
    Would I be right in saying, based upon your comments, that the N97 is basically a faster N95 with a keyboard? I was also wondering how you found the keyboard, as I can't see a mention of it in your last few posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

Any of you cunning foxes know when Meteor plan on taking the N97? I read in the Irish Times Yesterday that they plan on selling it?

As I said the other day..

I asked in the Meteor store thursday and they are "probably" doing it in July or August , it will just arrive in the store some day

They think it will be about €199 on talk 300 billpay same price as their current dearest handset the Sony Ericsson C905 but it might even be cheaper if they are doing an offer, Meteor generally subsidise all phones very well

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying, based upon your comments, that the N97 is basically a faster N95 with a keyboard? I was also wondering how you found the keyboard, as I can't see a mention of it in your last few posts.

Yes, in the same way that he N95 was just a faster 6680.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I was also wondering how you found the keyboard, as I can't see a mention of it in your last few posts.

I find it nice, bit strange at the start now i find it perfect for texting,email and browsing. I dont know why anyone complains about the space being to on side, its much better over to one side, has my right tumb is the main for tying its perfect.

Some reviews also give out about the d-pad, but its very usual full for browsing, can scroll pages fast in landscape mode, quicker then having to move using the touchscreen.

Landscape is much better overall then portrait imo. For texting, being quicker, nicer hold and feel. Your two fingers rest on the slide mechanism at the back.

• Advertisement

Yes, in the same way that he N95 was just a faster 6680.

Bit more of a step up than just faster, was a nice phone though :pac:

Advertisement