Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying, based upon your comments, that the N97 is basically a faster N95 with a keyboard? I was also wondering how you found the keyboard, as I can't see a mention of it in your last few posts.
    it's not about speed, although it is faster.

it's just better all round.

not perfect by any means, but it's a very long way removed from the n95 in many areas. web browsing is much much better. smoother, faster, more efficient, easier and faster to navigate and normal web pages work a lot more effectively too and don't bog down the browser like i used to sometimes find on the n95 with heavy flash laden pages.

everything seems to work the way it should, and better in almost every department.

now i'm getting used to the keyboard i'm also finding it to be very intuitive too. it's taken a few days to get used to it, but i'm liking it more and more and things i didn't think were ideal at first are making more and more sense to me now i've been using it for a while. like davy said, the space bar etc. and the overall layout is making more and more sense as i get used to using the keyboard and pretty soon i'll be faster than i ever was with the old keypad on the n95, although i'll still be able to do 1 handed texting using the portrait mode and on-screen keyboard if i need to, which is a good fallback to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

phew, after reading pretty much all this thread, great updates lads.

the vat issue with expansys, wtf? how can a uk company charge the irish rate at 21.5%, they cant. did any one who was charged this get a proper explanation?

if you are VAT registered here in ireland, they shouldnt charge vat at all. either uk or irish rates. thats my understanding with dealing with iuk companies, telll the,m when ordering and give them the number. i have a ltd company and was considering going to them for one but if 3 are getting this here in ireland soon in the next few weeks, ill hold on a bit longer and get theirs( i think) have the older 750minutes option from ages ago and have negotiated a discount for an upgrade.

the old n95 is on its way out, back held on with bluetack, using earphones as apeaker crackles and screen scratched to bits, paint almost off all buttons,

any advice, wait or buy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

wreckless wrote: »
    the vat issue with expansys, wtf? how can a uk company charge the irish rate at 21.5%, they cant. did any one who was charged this get a proper explanation?

If your selling a certain amount to a different EU country you pay their VAT rate. If your purchase off amazon.co.uk you'll be charged 21.5% VAT on purchases(excluding books obviously).

wheres the source for this? i get product for my busines from different european countries and no vat is charged. even if i order something out of the blue from a different supplier, the vat is charged at their rate. is it particular products? sorry for the off topic posts

any advice on waiting for 3 handsets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

almost... If the company you are purchasing from is registered for Vat here then even if you buy from Expansys UK they will change Irish vat rate. If you buy from a company that is not registered for Vat here then you pay the rate in the country you are buying from.
    Ares wrote: »
    If your selling a certain amount to a different EU country you pay their VAT rate. If your purchase off amazon.co.uk you'll be charged 21.5% VAT on purchases(excluding books obviously).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

wreckless wrote: »
    any advice on waiting for 3 handsets?

i will buy sim free if i was you.
    Reason: firmware lock phones are crappy slow because of extra useless bits installed and you won't have full access to certain features, for instance 3 might block skype or somthing like that..

Longer wait for firmware updates.

contract bound.

and locked phone which sometimes is very hard to get it unlock from them,

but someone mentioned that it will be 449€ , that's too expensive , if it's in range of 200€ then prob it's worth wait.

rang expansys, as far as she could tell me, i provide the vat number and they dont charge it. but if the irish company connection comes into it, will be able to write off the vat against this months sales vat anyway. calm down lenihan, you`ll get ur money one way or another!! 21.5% :mad:

so, no point in stating the obvious the lads, the phone is the business? worth that amount etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Sounds like a good start, with a few minor teething errors as can be expected with a new phone.

I've an n95 at the moment but would love to get the n97, I can't justify it financially though, can anyone shed some light on any improvements that would help shed some light as reasons to upgrade at such expense? i.e. is there many new features? etc..

I'm having trouble justifying the cost to herself..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

hobochris wrote: »
    I've an n95 at the moment but would love to get the n97, I can't justify it financially though, can anyone shed some light on any improvements that would help shed some light as reasons to upgrade at such expense? i.e. is there many new features? etc..

I'm having trouble justifying the cost to herself..

Well their is new features, yes. Its touchscreen, qwerty keyboard, new operating system, movable/live widgets, improved browsing, fm transmitter etc. Its hard to think of all the differences, if you want to know anything specific just ask

• Advertisement

it's hard to say anything specific that makes it better, it's just better all round.

much better screen, the UI is more intuitive and the touchscreen works very well with it, the camera is better, the web browser is much better, it has much better resource management so it doesn't get bogged down if you visit flash laden web pages or do a bunch of stuff at once.

they keyboard is good once you've used it for a few days and can familiarise yourself with the keyboard layout. wifi and 3g access is much better managed with you able to prioritise types of, or specific connections, so your phone will look for your pre-defined interner AP's and connect to the preffered ones first so for instance it'll try wifi1, wifi2, wifi3 and then 3g if it can't find any of your authorised pre-defined wifi AP's. i'm finding that a little big buggy at times, but overall it's working okay.

i'm loving it so far, although i'm not getting much non-n97 stuff done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Just out of interest has anyone spoken to anyone in the Nokia store in Dublin (is there still one in Dawson street??) about when it'll be available sim free here?

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Just out of interest has anyone spoken to anyone in the Nokia store in Dublin (is there still one in Dawson street??) about when it'll be available sim free here?

It could be here on friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

So what themes are people using?

I hate the process of trying out new s60 themes as I find that most of them are buggy and/or crap.

I hate the process of trying out new s60 themes as I find that most of them are buggy and/or crap.

Im using Nseries2 - Black is the main colour, and blue the secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I tend to end up reverting to the bundles ones alright. Was just hoping that someone came across a viable alternative :)

I tend to end up reverting to the bundles ones alright. Was just hoping that someone came across a viable alternative :)

few nice collection there
    www.babinokia.com

I am using Nseries 2 myself.

Did anyone manage to get symbian cert for their ph and also facebook working?

sbhatia wrote: »
    Did anyone manage to get symbian cert for their ph and also facebook working?

Facebook worked out of the box. What error are you getting?

Davy wrote: »
    Facebook worked out of the box. What error are you getting?

Script error, Ovi store doesn't have facebook anymore and tried to download 1 from other site too, still same thing.
    also youtube app get stuck on loading.

Script error, Ovi store doesn't have facebook anymore and tried to download 1 from other site too, still same thing.
    also youtube app get stuck on loading.

Confirm your password, do a reboot. I haven't experienced any of those problems, you could consider updating the firmware.

• Advertisement

Confirm your password, do a reboot. I haven't experienced any of those problems, you could consider updating the firmware.

That's what i was thinking, prob will do tonight. does N97 has Udp? i am sure it does but just wanted to make sure.

That's what i was thinking, prob will do tonight. does N97 has Udp? i am sure it does but just wanted to make sure.

It does yes

It does yes
    cheers, did you manage to get symbian cert yet?

cheers, did you manage to get symbian cert yet?

What do you mean? Trying to install apps and getting a certificate expired error?

What do you mean? Trying to install apps and getting a certificate expired error?

Yeah you need a Cert for that to install unsigned app, eg hack your ph or stuff.

I have applied for 1 and still waiting for, it used to be 1 day now a week queue.:(

Yeah you need a Cert for that to install unsigned app, eg hack your ph or stuff.

I have applied for 1 and still waiting for, it used to be 1 day now a week queue.:(

Sometimes just putting the date back on the phone, install the app and then you can put the date back to normal.

Sometimes just putting the date back on the phone, install the app and then you can put the date back to normal.

yeah but that will only work for the Signed app those certificates is expired but the unsigned app you will need to sign it yourself, with your cert and your key.

else pay megabucks to 3rd party software companies. :)

yeah but that will only work for the Signed app those certificates is expired but the unsigned app you will need to sign it yourself, with your cert and your key.

else pay megabucks to 3rd party software companies. :)

Ye i get ya. I used to see the Symbian Signed website but haven't had to in awhile

i'm currently using one called blue sheen.

bluesheen.jpg

black, blue and moody (like me!) :)

not perfect, but it's better than the stock ones imho and there's a lot of transparency which i think adds a certain something to the home screen with all the widgets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

I had the same problem re vat with expansys.I rang them quoting the price via the uk website and then pointed out that the vat can only be removed at the checkout from the irish site.

They told me they have to charge the vat and then i reclaim it myself,never had this problem with buying from the uk before though.

Anyways i bought one from clove,but there not shipping them untill thursday due to whatever constraint has been put on them by nokia,although i dunno how expansys are getting away with it

Advertisement