Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

sbhatia wrote: »
    £544 = € 649 all together including delievery and Vat.
    i just checked my laser transaction online and for some reason it came out at €639.31 all in.

did you lose a tenner somewhere?

also, the standard EU warranty is 24 months and applies regardless of where in europe you bought it, so we're all covered. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am refusing to look at my statement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

vibe666 did you ring up to pay with laser.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

vibe666 wrote: »
    i just checked my laser transaction online and for some reason it came out at €639.31 all in.

did you lose a tenner somewhere?

also, the standard EU warranty is 24 months and applies regardless of where in europe you bought it, so we're all covered.

Yeah i couldn't use my vocher over the ph , i forgot to quote the code or it could be because i paid by credit card..

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

Thor wrote: »
    really!!!

the guy said to me that they were getting them yesterday and if not this morning and he was pretty confident they were white.

also for some reason he said the black one wasnt launched yet(who knows what he is smoking)

anyway only time will tell.

alot of people are saying stuff like not sure whether to spend that kinda of money on the phone. you wanna know something worse.

having the money right in front of you and waiting to buy it!!!!!.

its a killer.

I rang them during lunch, and they said they didn't get a delivery today, and probably won't get one until Friday or Monday!
    looks like it'll have to be expansys

• Advertisement

roarlad wrote: »
    I rang them during lunch, and they said they didn't get a delivery today, and probably won't get one until Friday or Monday!
    looks like it'll have to be expansys

If you are thinking buying from expansys, i will advise to place an order over the ph and get the fax ready proof of address so you can expect your ph by tommorow 10am.

I had to cancel 3 orders placed online and eventually got when i ordered over the ph.

what did you need to send for proof of address.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

DRice wrote: »
    Would you describe the phone overall as easier or harder, slower or quicker than a standard old school style phone for texting?

Using portrait mode its a little slower. Using it in landscape mode, typing is quite fast, you adapt to the keyboard extremely quick. I would text a lot, so used to texting blindfolded on a normal pad, after a bit of time with the touchscreen layout, i reckon i will be nearly the same. The UI is more responsive than i thought.

vibe666 did you ring up to pay with laser.
    yeah, i had just enough on the credit card to pay the UK price + UK VAT and delivery cost, but when they changed it to the Irish VAT rate it was a smidgen above my limit and they declined it. :(

luckily my wages went in that morning so i just called them up and paid with the laser card and they sent it out that day.

didn't need to provide any proof of address, not sure why. possibly because i';ve used them a couple of times in the past over the years.

Davy wrote: »
    Using portrait mode its a little slower. Using it in landscape mode, typing is quite fast, you adapt to the keyboard extremely quick. I would text a lot, so used to texting blindfolded on a normal pad, after a bit of time with the touchscreen layout, i reckon i will be nearly the same. The UI is more responsive than i thought.
    yeah, finding it the same too. seems to be a lot easier to get used to the new layout than i thought.

i did use the copy/paste function 'pencil' key a lot though, which is missed greatly now, so fingers crossed they'll sort out a nice easy way of copy/pasting in a FW update soon, other than digging around in the menu's which is a pain. :(

did anyone try any new apps out yet?

i like the photo viewer, guaranteed to make any iphone user envious. :)

• Advertisement

In portrait mode, I am able to enter text just as quickly as I am able to do on my N95..

I like just having to tap the screen instead of having to press a button.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Any news on n97 coming to o2?

@Praetorian

No i dont think a date has been set yet

In portrait mode, I am able to enter text just as quickly as I am able to do on my N95..

I like just having to tap the screen instead of having to press a button.

Ye i was thinking the same, its left effort and can move to the next key very quickly, im using T9 which i think is the best way to maximize it but requires looking at the screen where i didnt need to with the N95

Ye i was thinking the same, its left effort and can move to the next key very quickly, im using T9 which i think is the best way to maximize it but requires looking at the screen where i didnt need to with the N95

I am now able to use T9 without having to look at the screen. Had a 5800 previously so I was sort of used to it already.

yeah, i had just enough on the credit card to pay the UK price + UK VAT and delivery cost, but when they changed it to the Irish VAT rate it was a smidgen above my limit and they declined it. :(

luckily my wages went in that morning so i just called them up and paid with the laser card and they sent it out that day.

didn't need to provide any proof of address, not sure why. possibly because i';ve used them a couple of times in the past over the years.

funny thing.

place my whole order over the phone(took only a couple of minutes and the guy was sound)

he was telling me about the vat being charged as irish vat as they are sending it to ireland

came out a total of 1260.30 in euro as i ordered 2.

that is an excellent price if you ask me that is saving 120 euro.

also i didnt have to give any proof of address and its been my first order with them.

might have something to do with paying by laser.

its already been shipped and should arrive tomorrow.

as you said before vibe you were like a kid.

HOW DO YOU THINK I FEEL(i wont be able to sleep tonight)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

HOW DO YOU THINK I FEEL(i wont be able to sleep tonight)

if you think you won't be able to sleep tonight then what will happen in the morning when you start seeing the delievery status? :)

Thank god i am not alone.

it is still bit laggy on N97 but much better than 5800, all depends on amount of pic you have, but once you get all the pic loaded, it's a pleasure viewing.

I was messin with it on friday and found it grand for scrolling/working etc, but yes it does leave the photos not as clear as in the photo gallery.

I was messin with it on friday and found it grand for scrolling/working etc, but yes it does leave the photos not as clear as in the photo gallery.
    the trick is not to hold it too close to the people you're impressing with it so they just see how flashy it is, not that it's a little blurry. ;)

actually, the image quality seems to improve the more you use it, maybe it's caching thumbnails as you use it for faster access later on?

but still, it's not even a beta product yet, so it's pretty fine all the same.

tick tock Thor, nearly there. :p

• Advertisement

Ye, it doesn't bother me to much, i can live without it. I prefer stuffl like being able to upload it to ovi or flickr in 2 or 3 taps
    tick tock Thor, nearly there. :p

Stop teasing :p

No need to use the mobile version :)

006ckj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Was thinking of getting either this or the Touch Pro 2 at some stage.
    They seem similar-ish specs-wise-
    but can anyone advise about the exact pros and cons of each?
    Maybe someone has both devices at home :D

mkennedy wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting either this or the Touch Pro 2 at some stage.
    They seem similar-ish specs-wise-
    but can anyone advise about the exact pros and cons of each?
    Maybe someone has both devices at home :D

I posted this comparison earlier in this thread: Head to Head: The Nokia N97 and HTC Touch Pro 2

The N97 wins hands down :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I posted this comparison earlier in this thread: Head to Head: The Nokia N97 and HTC Touch Pro 2

Well, beating Windows Mobile is like winning a gold medal at the Special Olympics! :D

Thanks for that :)
    That reviewer seems to think the N97 is better alright but even the Nokia fanboys :p AAS regulars were saying he was a bit biased.

The N97 looks like an amazing device alright and could well be better than the TP2 but i think he was too easily dismissive of the TP2.
    The TP2 can be customised and tweaked endlessly to make it more usable of course (xda-devs and endless third party apps etc).

I like the N97's storage capacity and better camera though.

Edit:
    Fcuk it i'm getting both :p

yeah, i just don't like garmin, the whole searching for places thing seems counter intuitive to me, i just can't get on with it.

there was supposed to be a fix for tomtom to get it working with the n95 by using GPSd to create a fake BT GPS linked to the internal GPS in the phone so that whatever app you are using sees the internal GPS as an external BT GPS. pretty handy, but i never got it to work with tomtom. it did work with barbelo though on the n95, which is handy for wardriving wifi hotspots. :)

Anyone know if Tomtom Navigator will work with the internal GPS of the N97?

i did use the copy/paste function 'pencil' key a lot though, which is missed greatly now, so fingers crossed they'll sort out a nice easy way of copy/pasting in a FW update soon, other than digging around in the menu's which is a pain. :(

You know all you have to do is hold 'shift' (upwards arrow) and it gives you a copy option straight away which copies the text on screen to the clip board.

mkennedy wrote: »
    Anyone know if Tomtom Navigator will work with the internal GPS of the N97?

Well i imagine so, if it worked for the other nseries models.

• Advertisement

Well i imagine so, if it worked for the other nseries models.

With the internal GPS receiver? (not a bluetooth GPS receiver).
    I remember there was an issue with the N95's internal GPS receiver and TTN- it would only work with an external bluetooth one.
    Can't remember now if it was resolved or not.

Advertisement