Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

mkennedy wrote: »
    With the internal GPS receiver? (not a bluetooth GPS receiver).
    I remember there was an issue with the N95's internal GPS receiver and TTN- it would oly work with an external bluetooth one- can't remember now if it was resolved or not.

Ye im pretty sure it was, the only thing it wouldnt remember the setting, so you had to select internal each time after opening the app

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

i remember the gps in the n95 was better then the n95 8gb(in terms of getting connection quicker)

not sure why, might have been just my phones that i had.

the nokia e71 beat them both hands down. was much faster getting a connection the either.

the a-gps really does come in handy.

vibe666 screw the tick tock im waiting for the knock knock(dhl delivery)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

believe it or not, it was never actually fixed on the n95 (natively, by tomtom i mean). the only way to get it working was to use GPSd and another app to create a fake external BT GPS to pass all the info from the internal GPS to the phantom external one to trick tomtom into thinking the external one was real.

it was a bit of a pain in the hole just to get it working (i was never able to), and you had to run GPSd first every time you wanted to use an app that only worked with external GPS's, although i did get it working with barbelo which worked quite nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Thor wrote: »
    i remember the gps in the n95 was better then the n95 8gb(in terms of getting connection quicker)

I personally had the complete opposite experience. The N95 8GB was alot quicker for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

vibe666 wrote: »
    believe it or not, it was never actually fixed on the n95 (natively, by tomtom i mean). the only way to get it working was to use GPSd and another app to create a fake external BT GPS to pass all the info from the internal GPS to the phantom external one to trick tomtom into thinking the external one was real.

it was a bit of a pain in the hole just to get it working (i was never able to), and you had to run GPSd first every time you wanted to use an app that only worked with external GPS's, although i did get it working with barbelo which worked quite nicely.

Cheers.
    Any idea what the situation is with the newer n series devices- specifically the n97?
    Surely they've sorted it now have they?

BTW was it just TTN- other satnav apps worked ok didn't they- route 66, garmin xt etc.

• Advertisement

router 66 and garmin both worked fine on the n95. i'm told that garmin xt works on the n97 too, although i didn't get around to actually trying it yet, so i can't comment on how well it works, but i've seen screenshots and it's got the touch interface added to it and everything so it looks like they made it specifically for the s60 v5 phones.

router 66 and garmin both worked fine on the n95. i'm told that garmin xt works on the n97 too, although i didn't get around to actually trying it yet, so i can't comment on how well it works, but i've seen screenshots and it's got the touch interface added to it and everything so it looks like they made it specifically for the s60 v5 phones.

Any idea about Tomtom Navigator and the N97's internal GPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Just after I came back from Italy last year my N95 would only get a location lock after I started the GPS settings manager - last firmware update I got fixed that but now Nokia maps tells me I have no internet connection on startup, though I have an available access point defined - changing that doesn't make any difference.

Anyway, point is, if you are having problems with GPS it may be worth trying to re-flash your firmware.
    Cheers.
    Any idea what the situation is with the newer n series devices- specifically the n97?
    Surely they've sorted it now have they?

BTW was it just TTN- other satnav apps worked ok didn't they- route 66, garmin xt etc.

Any idea about Tomtom Navigator and the N97's internal GPS.
    after doing a bit of onliine research it doesn't look like tomtom will be doing any more developing for nokia phones since nokia bought navteq. can't see nokia keeping supplying tomtom with maps if they are making a product to compete with nokia maps. :(

i DID find something interesting (but unrelated) though in my search.

anyone fancy VLC on their symbian device (inc. s60 v5, i.e. 5800 & n97)? :)

have a wee look at this: http://web.mahaserver.com/mahashare.php?id=311

ok checked my status of my order this morning and everything ok still saying shipped, went to check the tracking number and nothing is coming up for it.

not sure what is going on. yesterday i assumed it wasnt up as it was too early but today its still the same.

rang dhl and gave them the number and they said it doesnt exsist.

so rang expansys and she told me they would get back to me to see what the story is as it has been sent just the wrong tracking number or something.

will wait and see but now i feel like crying that my n97 is lost somewhere

oh the humanity

• Advertisement

ok checked my status of my order this morning and everything ok still saying shipped, went to check the tracking number and nothing is coming up for it.

not sure what is going on. yesterday i assumed it wasnt up as it was too early but today its still the same.

rang dhl and gave them the number and they said it doesnt exsist.

so rang expansys and she told me they would get back to me to see what the story is as it has been sent just the wrong tracking number or something.

will wait and see but now i feel like crying that my n97 is lost somewhere

oh the humanity

I can sympathise.
    Something similar happened with my last couple of devices.
    General cluelessness all round- quite frustrating.
    Did you eat the head off them?

funny enough for some reason i just received an email stating that my order has been shipped.

it has state all orders have been shipped yesterday.

not sure whats going on but she said they would get back to me.

going to give it till about 12 if they dont get back to me by then some poor person on the phone is getting the ear full.

they even took the money yesterday and they stated they wouldnt take the money until items were ready to be shipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

funny enough for some reason i just received an email stating that my order has been shipped.

it has state all orders have been shipped yesterday.

not sure whats going on but she said they would get back to me.

going to give it till about 12 if they dont get back to me by then some poor person on the phone is getting the ear full.

they even took the money yesterday and they stated they wouldnt take the money until items were ready to be shipped.

Don't worry about email, i had my n97 in my hand when i got email that my order has been shipped, :) Hope you get it soon.

sbhatia wrote: »
    Don't worry about email, i had my n97 in my hand when i got email that my order has been shipped, :) Hope you get it soon.

me to man!!!

saw you selling your 5800 cause you got the n97, good luck with the sale.

anyone wanna answer this question about the n97

the fm transmitter thats built in.

now this would be stupid but i just want to be sure.

do you have to have the headphones in for it to use it as an antenna.

its just that would be rather pointless for wireless music to have a wired connected.

if anyone has tried it let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

i ordered mine from clove.co.uk and they say they will start shipping tomorrow via fedex. any ideas when i could expect it? those of you who ordered from expansys ,did they ship drom dublin or the uk? cos from reading posts it seemed they came overnight.

me to man!!!

saw you selling your 5800 cause you got the n97, good luck with the sale.

anyone wanna answer this question about the n97

the fm transmitter thats built in.

now this would be stupid but i just want to be sure.

do you have to have the headphones in for it to use it as an antenna.

its just that would be rather pointless for wireless music to have a wired connected.

if anyone has tried it let me know

i have used it lots of times, no you don't nees headphones connected to use it.
    just choose your frequency and you are done.

it's very good but in same area reception is bit bad but that's not ph fault in anyway.

hey gearoidol

most people on here if not all ordered from expansys.co.uk

the reason is that it came out alot cheaper in the end.

also the phones are coming from england(they have none here even if you order from the irish site they will ship them from england)

the reason its only taken a day is that they are sending it with dhl and they have packages going from ireland to england and back again all the time.

gearoidol wrote: »
    i ordered mine from clove.co.uk and they say they will start shipping tomorrow via fedex. any ideas when i could expect it? those of you who ordered from expansys ,did they ship drom dublin or the uk? cos from reading posts it seemed they came overnight.

Expansys ships from Manchaster, so you should also have ph next day. :)

yep, less than 24 hours from shipping to arrival on mine from expansys, shipped manchester to dublin via dhl.

fm transmitter works okay without the headphones in, but i have BT on my car stereo so I just use that to play music wirelessly from the N97, so the fm transmitter isn't that useful for me.

mind you, i suppose you could have nearby mates using the fm tuner on their other nokias all listening to your n97 music and do some sort of synchronised silent flashmob dance off in public somewhere! :D

i just think it would be funny on the m50(when its in parking lot mode)

everyone listening to fm104 just get block by westlifes greatest hits

• Advertisement

Just a tip guys if anybody is wondering why battery is draining so fast.
    do this

Go to application-> boingo->option-> setting->option ->autostart to off ( it keep searching for wlan hotspots)

and also tracelogging to off.

it's a huge improvement since i did it yesterday.

more tips are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

hey gearoidol

most people on here if not all ordered from expansys.co.uk

the reason is that it came out alot cheaper in the end.

also the phones are coming from england(they have none here even if you order from the irish site they will ship them from england)

the reason its only taken a day is that they are sending it with dhl and they have packages going from ireland to england and back again all the time.

Mine came from Marseille via Franfurt through Manchester to Dublin in 1 day! Happy days.

mind you, i suppose you could have nearby mates using the fm tuner on their other nokias all listening to your n97 music and do some sort of synchronised silent flashmob dance off in public somewhere! :D

Will be a close party as it only transmits a max of 2 meters ;)

after doing a bit of onliine research it doesn't look like tomtom will be doing any more developing for nokia phones since nokia bought navteq. can't see nokia keeping supplying tomtom with maps if they are making a product to compete with nokia maps. :(

i DID find something interesting (but unrelated) though in my search.

anyone fancy VLC on their symbian device (inc. s60 v5, i.e. 5800 & n97)? :)

have a wee look at this: http://web.mahaserver.com/mahashare.php?id=311

thats a nice find vibe.

that will be one of the must have apps for the n97.

vlc is a killer app and i had it on my n95 and it worked nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

So a vlc would support different file types is that correct?! :pac:

Am really enjoying using this phone now, nothing much to complain about. Will take peoples tips on board about how to prolong battery life. One thing that I'm finding slightly annoying, and am wondering if anyone else agrees, is that if you have the keylock on and receive a call... you can't answer the call until you've unlocked the keys and that can sometimes take a few seconds in my experience.

Has anyone else experienced that or am I just doing something wrong??

So a vlc would support different file types is that correct?! :pac:

Am really enjoying using this phone now, nothing much to complain about. Will take peoples tips on board about how to prolong battery life. One thing that I'm finding slightly annoying, and am wondering if anyone else agrees, is that if you have the keylock on and receive a call... you can't answer the call until you've unlocked the keys and that can sometimes take a few seconds in my experience.

Has anyone else experienced that or am I just doing something wrong??

You can indeed answer the call, you will 2 option either to swipe green to answer or swipe blue to unlock.

The only thing i am finding annoying is which was same in nokia 5800, that after few hours usage or few apps open ph just start to freeze, so you have to close 1 app to get other working and eventually you have to restart the ph.
    I don't know if anyone else has this problem, i am testing at the moment to turn auto rotate and sensor off and see if that works.

programme i have is, Foreca weather, handy shell, handy weather, advance phone lock, tekronic phone lock, ultimate voice recorder, kill me , opera mini and few other, i don't think anyone from them is causing problem though.

any input is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

i find that you get alot more battery life when you turn the vibration feedback off

sbhatia wrote: »
    The only thing i am finding annoying is which was same in nokia 5800, that after few hours usage or few apps open ph just start to freeze, so you have to close 1 app to get other working and eventually you have to restart the ph.
    I don't know if anyone else has this problem, i am testing at the moment to turn auto rotate and sensor off and see if that works.

programme i have is, Foreca weather, handy shell, handy weather, advance phone lock, tekronic phone lock, ultimate voice recorder, kill me , opera mini and few other, i don't think anyone from them is causing problem though.

any input is welcome.

Yes i understand where you are coming from, Its generally good advise to restart the phone every so often especially when installing many apps.

• Advertisement

okay phones are with the delivery courier now and are on there way.

this should be fun!!!

Advertisement