Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

ok, I'm in the same boat. Ordered with expansys, current status is: Ready to ship.
    Whats the general delay from this stage to the order being shipped?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

check your email.

normally when the item is ready for shipment they then take payment.

if it is your first order you might need to confirm your address by sending them a utility bill or drivers license, really anything with your name and address on it.

for some reason i didnt have to but most people do have to proove address.

once you send that they will take payment and ship items with dhl and you can expect delivery tomorrow.

still waiting on mine. should be here shortly though.

Phones just arrived.

so much to do!!!

this is how i reacted when they got here.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

Thor wrote: »
    Phones just arrived.

so much to do!!!

this is how i reacted when they got here.

Lol very funny, enjoy Most of it now...:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

is it possible to get some screenies of texting in portrait with the touch screen? :) also do you guys find yourselves using the stylus at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

skip forward to about 3:50 in the video (it's not mine, just one i found).

i have the stylus on my key chain, but so far i haven't used it.

i just got a 5800 for the missus to stop her from robbing the n97 and i'm impressed with the stylus that slides into the body on the 5800, i wish they'd have done the same in the n97 and then it might have been useful.

as it is i can hardly hold the little stubby stylus at all in my big sausage fingers. :(

EDIT: a little bird tells me that a new firmware update is 'imminent' for the n97.

not sure how reliable the info is, but watch this space. :)

vibe666 wrote: »

skip forward to about 3:50 in the video (it's not mine, just one i found).

i have the stylus on my key chain, but so far i haven't used it.

i just got a 5800 for the missus to stop her from robbing the n97 and i'm impressed with the stylus that slides into the body on the 5800, i wish they'd have done the same in the n97 and then it might have been useful.

as it is i can hardly hold the little stubby stylus at all in my big sausage fingers. :(

EDIT: a little bird tells me that a new firmware update is 'imminent' for the n97.

not sure how reliable the info is, but watch this space. :)

have a look here, saw it this mor.
    http://thesymbianblog.com/2009/06/25/new-n97-firmware-v110021-hits-rda/
    don't know how true it is?

Proof, got it myself. Wow i am so happy..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

fingers crossed it gets rid of a at least some of th more obvious bugs.

mind you, someone made a good point about the n95 back in FW v10 being a total heap of crap and look how well that trned out in the end. :)

i don't like being used as a beta tester, but being an early adopter you can't expect anything else these days, tese things are just too complicated to iron out all the bugs pre-release. the only way is to get a bunch of them tested in the wild under real world conditions and then just be ready with fixes as soon as possible, which i think Nokia are doing well with if the first firmware update is out only a week after launch.

yeah they are getting good with that,
    same they did with Nokia 5800, release the fw very shorly.

N97 is just few steps away to be my perfect phone, got hardware already now just software :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DermoMIO

just placed my order there with expansys uk could'nt hold out any longer had to go for it will be hoarding through this thread once i recieve it going through what you guys have been discussing :D

DermoMIO wrote: »
    just placed my order there with expansys uk could'nt hold out any longer had to go for it will be hoarding through this thread once i recieve it going through what you guys have been discussing :D

Welcome to Club mate, Hope you get it by tommorow and have whole weekend to play :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

if not, its gonna be a LONNNNNNG weekend waiting :(

ok quick question for the expansys n97ers out there, the £30 voucher that comes with it, did you guys receive it in physical form or in an email? I'm impatient, and wouldn't mind ordering a 16gb microSD card for the n97 with the voucher

roarlad wrote: »
    ok quick question for the expansys n97ers out there, the £30 voucher that comes with it, did you guys receive it in physical form or in an email? I'm impatient, and wouldn't mind ordering a 16gb microSD card for the n97 with the voucher

Forget about them, i got a email from them pointing me to terms and condition which is only available for Uk customers and 2 * £15, which only 1 can be used on single purchase.
    so no vouchers, no bluetooth, no case :)

but someone here mentioned that they will sending vouchers after a week, i don't think so now.

thats wierd they told me i would get it over the the phone(by email)

the guy said i would get 2 x £30 vouchers as i ordered 2 phones.

said it would take around 10-14 working days

also was told the same in an email.

you have to remember for it to be only availible to people in the uk it would have to state something like 'only availible for people who live in the uk'

you are still a uk customer as you purchased it from the uk.

sbhatia wrote: »
    Forget about them, i got a email from them pointing me to terms and condition which is only available for Uk customers and 2 * £15, which only 1 can be used on single purchase.
    so no vouchers, no bluetooth, no case :)

but someone here mentioned that they will sending vouchers after a week, i don't think so now.

useless. surely we are customers of the UK site purchasing from ireland? hence the VAT rate?

here's the T&C:
    9. The offer is valid only in the UK for private end users and business customers. This offer may not be combined with any
    other promotional offers or special pricing offered on the qualifying products during the timescale of this promotion.

looks like i'll get a 16gb microSD from shop4memory then, there delivery is very quick and reliable.

http://www.shop4memory.com/products/secure-digital-microsd.asp

thats wierd they told me i would get it over the the phone.

the guy said i would get 2 x £30 vouchers as i ordered 2 phones.

said it would take around 10-14 working days

also was told the same in an email.

you have to remember for it to be only availible to people in the uk it would have to state something like only availible to be in the uk.

you are still a uk customer as you purchased it from the uk.

It's definately 2 × £15

Subject to the remainder of these terms and conditions customers can claim £30 of vouchers (2 x £15 vouchers to be used
    on separate orders) on the following devices: Nokia N97 purchased between 11th June – 31st July 2009 from eXpansys.

I hope so i get it, but the guy on email told me no. Finger crossed

looks like i'll get a 16gb microSD from shop4memory then, there delivery is very quick and reliable.

http://www.shop4memory.com/products/secure-digital-microsd.asp

Or Try them
    http://www.memoryc.com/flashmemorycards/sdsecuredigital.html?Capacity=16GB&Type=Micro+SD

Used them in past and very fast delievery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DermoMIO

splinter wrote: »
    if not, its gonna be a LONNNNNNG weekend waiting :(

lol yea it might be, I only sent my proof of identity to them now so hopefully not too late to get it tomorrow:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Mine was dispatched from clove today,supposed to be sent via fedex but the tracking is with royalmail,bit dissapointed as chances are it wont be here for the weekend,but at least its coming!

okay have spent the better part of a day with this phone.

learning the ins and outs.

have noticed a few bugs that other people have been talking about and i sure hope they will be fixed, but other then the few minor bugs(which were expected before i even read about them)

this phone is brilliant.

loving all the new features.

also i would agree with everying that the ui is very responsive and so is the touch screen.

one question for everyone.

Where would you download some apps for it.

only finding a few on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Earlsie

Really thinking about getting this phone with expansys but just cannot do it at the moment,I have read great reviews but €640ish of my hard earned cash is a lot of lolly.

Should I bite the bullet and purchase or wait a month or two and hopefully the price may have dropped and and few of the bugs are sorted.

Convince me please.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Earlsie wrote: »

Convince me please.....:rolleyes:

Which way do you want to be convinced :D

well to answer that question honestly i would have to say a month or 2 of waiting wouldnt be worth it.

yeah sure it might be cheaper but lets face it a month or 2 after it it might be cheaper again.

no matter when you buy it it will be expensive to say the least.

what better way to spend your hard earned cash on the wonderful n97

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

well to answer that question honestly i would have to say a month or 2 of waiting wouldnt be worth it.

Well i wouldn't fully agree, because it will probably be out on 3 irish networks by then, might be a €200 price difference. Personally i prefer sim free phones, and ofcourse i didnt want to wait either :D

yeah the thing i hate about non sim free phones is there absolute terrible firmware limitations.

With three you can't turn off 3g on it unless you debrand the phone(which i did as it really saves battery just having normal 2g network on instead of 3g.

also the other bad thing about not buying a sim free phone you have to wait god knows how long for firmware updates. you have to wait for the network to release there own version of it and thats only if they want to(they might just not update when nokia updates)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

What could you possible need an extra 16Gb on top of the standard 32GB before you even get the phone?!

kmart6 wrote: »
    What could you possible need an extra 16Gb on top of the standard 32GB before you even get the phone?!

i have a 16gb memory in my n97 and it is truly useless.

the only reason i have it was i didnt sell it with my last phone so deicided to slap it into this one.

its nice to now that i have just under 48gb of data availible to me.

1 question for some people out there.

any decent themes going!!!

cant seem to find any, I know its still early days but i assume all the 5800 themes would work(where are they all)

might take a shot at making up. made up for the n95 and it turned out pretty decent.

i can see it now the 'made your own n97 theme' thread.

anyway anyone got any decent sites for some n97 gear, let me know!!

the whole phone not illuminating when unlocking is a little destatful and hope it will be fixed soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

i have a 16gb memory in my n97 and it is truly useless.

the only reason i have it was i didnt sell it with my last phone so deicided to slap it into this one.

its nice to now that i have just under 48gb of data availible to me.

1 question for some people out there.

any decent themes going!!!

cant seem to find any, I know its still early days but i assume all the 5800 themes would work(where are they all)

might take a shot at making up. made up for the n95 and it turned out pretty decent.

i can see it now the 'made your own n97 theme' thread.

anyway anyone got any decent sites for some n97 gear, let me know!!

the whole phone not illuminating when unlocking is a little destatful and hope it will be fixed soon.
    Yeah but the difference there is you already had it so it was handy to put in. The other poster is going out of they're way to get it!

And for stuff like themes you should join dedicated Nokia sites such as N97Geeks or NokiaUsers, not going to get that kinda stuff around here, very small Symbian market in Ireland!

I'd recommend NokiaUsers, it was previously N95 users but merged with a sister site, some very helpful and knowledgable people on it, some held in high regard by Nokia as bloggers, and there's even Nokia Engineers on it too! There's a brillaint theme's section and now a dedicated S60 5th Edition area too....anything uploaded by Mr G is generally quality!

Advertisement