Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

roarlad wrote: »
    ok i've been messing around with it for a few hours, someone mentioned earlier in the thread about setting order of preferences for internet connections.. ie wifi then 3g etc..
    how do you edit this? I've had a look around in the menus,
    also it took a while to find the mac address for the phone so I could add it to my router settings..
    if anyone else was looking for it:
    *#62209526#

settings > connectivity > destinations.

And i bet you didnt know you can spell WLAN

*#MAC0WLAN#
    *#62209526#

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Davy wrote: »
    settings > connectivity > destinations.

And i bet you didnt know you can spell WLAN

*#MAC0WLAN#
    *#62209526#
    that's class, i like it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

just to let everyone know that the new n97 firmware will be availible on july 1st.

here is a link to it.

http://themes.tehkseven.net/featured-articles/nokia-news/nokia-n97-firmware-update-available-july-1st/

was annouced on nokia's twitter page.

apparantly it will fix all if not most of the bugs people are facing today. so that makes me think there wont be many new features in this but you never know.

Thor wrote: »
    apparantly it will fix all if not most of the bugs people are facing today. so that makes me think there wont be many new features in this but you never know.
    sounds about right, wouldn't be expecting any new features just yet, just a major bugfix, but i'll take that as a welcome gift. :)

i wonder if it includes better battery life. even with the most modest of use (i.e. virtually non) I can't get it to last a full 48 hours so the official stats for battery life are a very long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

if anybody is looking for White N97, friends of mine got 2 white ones and 1 black one sim free from Phones4u in newry.
    But have to say black one still looks much better than white one.:)

• Advertisement

white phones are for girls. ;)

vibe666 wrote: »
    white phones are for girls. ;)
    That's what i thought as well, i could see big black fingre mark only after few hours of use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

spent 3 days with my n97 and have to say very happy with it.Suprised how quick i adapted to the touchscreen as i was a little worried about it.Then the compulsary test saturday night to see if i can stilll operate it after 10 pint bottles and very happy with the results.One thing i wanted to check is how would other owners rate the coverage in comparsion to say the n95 8gb . Then yee notice any difference?

reception is 1-2 bars less than the n95 8gb most of the time, but apparently it's a recognised issue, so fingers crossed wednesday will bring a fix for that.

just received my rubber case from a gentleman off ebay calling himself 'wangping009' (ah, bless!) and overall I'm pretty impressed.

it's a perfect fit, rigid rubberised case that clips on the back and front of the n97 with all the right holes in all the right places for button access etc.

the only minor problem was my own fault because I robbed the string and guitar pick from the missus's new 5800 for the odd time thatmy big chubby sausage fingers aren't pointy enough to get the job done on the n97's touch screen and although there is a hole for it in the case, it's obviously not big enough to poke the pick through so i had to take offthe battery cover, take the cord off, thread it through the outer case and then re-attach it to the phone and put it all back together again, but as I said, that's my fault, not the covers. :)

i got 6 screen protectors for the n97 too and am impressed with those so far.

the stock one that was on the phone when i got it was already a little scratchedand had a big scratch right in the middle of the screen, so i took the opportunity to swap it out with a nw one and it's pretty impressive too. it's covered on both sides like sticky back plastic (which i suppose it actually is) and you peel off the underside and then stick it in place on the phones screen (it's a full frontal screen protector, over the buttons too, with a cut-out for the front facing camera lens and the chrome menu button) before peeling off the top protective layer to finally leave the screen protector exposed.

the phone is only a minute amount bigger with the cover on, but the slider works perfectly and there's no play in the case at all, it's on there good and tight to the point where i actually had a bit of a job taking it off to put on the screen protector initially.

i imagine if/when i do drop the phone that it will probably cause the case to fly off, but fingers crossed it'll be enough to protect the actual phone when that happens. it certainly feels like it'll be able to take a few knocks anyway.

just freed up a shedload of RAM and system memory by deleting all the pre-installed apps off the n97.

Before:
    35.7mb ram
    5.7mb system
    23.4gb mass

after (inc. reboot):
    49.7mb ram
    25.9mb system
    23.5gb mass

that's even with handyshell still running too. :)

i'll start to re-install the stuff I actually need soon, but for now I'm happy they're all gone. :)

i think it was the mail app that did most of the damage, it took the longest to uninstall anyway.

• Advertisement

just freed up a shedload of RAM and system memory by deleting all the pre-installed apps off the n97.

Before:
    35.7mb ram
    5.7mb system
    23.4gb mass

after (inc. reboot):
    49.7mb ram
    25.9mb system
    23.5gb mass

that's even with handyshell still running too. :)

i'll start to re-install the stuff I actually need soon, but for now I'm happy they're all gone. :)

i think it was the mail app that did most of the damage, it took the longest to uninstall anyway.

I still have all my pre installed app on the ph.
    Prog running at the moment, opera mini, handy shell, handy weather , handy taskman, facebook , log, contact and few other system apps.

Ram free : 45.5
    System : 19.2
    Mass: 25.2
    and this is ph running for 7 hours withour restart.

I use freeware called Killme , which you can use to kill some useless app like vcommand manager, impro.exe, watchdog and few others to save battery and memory.
    You will need to sign the app though.

i'm pretty sure it was setting up the nokia mail app wit my gmail account that did the damage as it took ages to uninstall and my free system memory was dropping significantly day by day.

i'm pretty sure it was setting up the nokia mail app wit my gmail account that did the damage as it took ages to uninstall and my free system memory was dropping significantly day by day.
    Yeah i deleted that straight away too, was just eating ram and just beware Nokia is gonna charge for this app in future ( data charge) and in my opinion app is useless anyway, opera mini and gmail app just do the job or you can also set up account in message and have it as a home screen widget, looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Got my 2 this morning,having owned a 5800 previously im finding it hard to see where people are saying there practically the same in some reviews or forums.

Feels alot more rugged and less likly to fall apart in comparison to the 5800,the ui seems alot more responsive and much quicker than the 5800 too.Im a little dissapointed with the keypad as the buttons seem abit small for fat fingers,but the ts is alot easier to text with compared to the 5800.

I've yet to mess about with it yet,it was dead so charging at the minute before uninstalling the pre loaded bits on it.

Not sure if it was posted here but here's an easy way of changing the font to whatever you wish if you like - http://thesymbianblog.com/2009/01/27/how-to-change-fonts-on-the-5800/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

reception is 1-2 bars less than the n95 8gb most of the time, but apparently it's a recognised issue, so fingers crossed wednesday will bring a fix for that.

just received my rubber case from a gentleman off ebay calling himself 'wangping009' (ah, bless!) and overall I'm pretty impressed.

it's a perfect fit, rigid rubberised case that clips on the back and front of the n97 with all the right holes in all the right places for button access etc.

the only minor problem was my own fault because I robbed the string and guitar pick from the missus's new 5800 for the odd time thatmy big chubby sausage fingers aren't pointy enough to get the job done on the n97's touch screen and although there is a hole for it in the case, it's obviously not big enough to poke the pick through so i had to take offthe battery cover, take the cord off, thread it through the outer case and then re-attach it to the phone and put it all back together again, but as I said, that's my fault, not the covers. :)

i got 6 screen protectors for the n97 too and am impressed with those so far.

the stock one that was on the phone when i got it was already a little scratchedand had a big scratch right in the middle of the screen, so i took the opportunity to swap it out with a nw one and it's pretty impressive too. it's covered on both sides like sticky back plastic (which i suppose it actually is) and you peel off the underside and then stick it in place on the phones screen (it's a full frontal screen protector, over the buttons too, with a cut-out for the front facing camera lens and the chrome menu button) before peeling off the top protective layer to finally leave the screen protector exposed.

the phone is only a minute amount bigger with the cover on, but the slider works perfectly and there's no play in the case at all, it's on there good and tight to the point where i actually had a bit of a job taking it off to put on the screen protector initially.

i imagine if/when i do drop the phone that it will probably cause the case to fly off, but fingers crossed it'll be enough to protect the actual phone when that happens. it certainly feels like it'll be able to take a few knocks anyway.

funny enough i got my case for the n97 aswell this morning and also 1 screen protector(which went on nicely)

really like the case though as it just fits on perfectly. not a single problem with the slide aswell.

got mine from ebay aswell(said it was coming from germany) has hong kong all over it.

any that has an n97 these cases are a must as from the looks of it they really do protect the phone.

in case anyone is interested in an online sync of their contacts, the o2 phone sync service is free until the end of august (for the first sync operation which is normally €2.50, and will be 50c per re-sync after that) and works fine on the n97 using the n95 profile on the o2 website.

just log into your o2.ie account and in the web texts section choose "Phone Synch" on the left hand side and follow the instructions.

when you get the settings msg just open it and then go to options and save on your phone to store the settings and then go to settings, connectivity, data transfer, sync and go to options again and set the new o2 sync profile as the active profile and start synchronisation and you're done and all your phone contacts should be present in your o2 webtexts page and you can edit them to your hearts content and then sync them back (for 50c a pop). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

How does the HTC Hero stack up against the N97?

Think I'm going to get one of these but can't decide which.

PH4T wrote: »
    How does the HTC Hero stack up against the N97?

Think I'm going to get one of these but can't decide which.

honestly?

i think i could have been tempted away from the n97 if i'd actually seen what the htc hero could do and how well it does it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

honestly?

i think i could have been tempted away from the n97 if i'd actually seen what the htc hero could do and how well it does it. :(

The Hero looks fantastic. I'm torn between it and the Palm Pre. Does anyone with an Android phone know how it handles document attachments? I looked it up and apparently Android can't view pdfs! I tried it on the emulator and it cannot open documents in emails! Hopefully, the Hero build will fix this.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

mobius42 wrote: »
    The Hero looks fantastic. I'm torn between it and the Palm Pre. Does anyone with an Android phone know how it handles document attachments? I looked it up and apparently Android can't view pdfs! I tried it on the emulator and it cannot open documents in emails! Hopefully, the Hero build will fix this.

As this is a N97 thread, in what ways is the N97 superior/inferior to the Hero?

I did a comparison on GSMArena and the differences seem to be:

Pro N97
    N97 has a bigger screen that is higher resolution
    N97 has way more built in storage (32GB versus 512 MB)
    Radio. Hero doesn't have one.

Pro Hero
    Hero has a capacitive touchscreen versus the N97's resistive touchscreen
    N97 has a crappy looking QWERTY keyboard
    Hero has twice as much RAM (288 MB versus 128 MB)
    Hero has a faster processor (528 MHz versus 434 MHz)
    Hero is €200 cheaper

The clincher might come down to the operating system. A lot of the stuff I read online doesn't seem to think much of Symbian as an operating system although users on here seem happy with it. I currently have a N95 8GB so I'm familiar with Symbian. I don't know anything about Android however...

• Advertisement

Have you seen the drop tests without the case? Stood pretty well. Their is a soap and water test under a tap.

Davy wrote: »
    Have you seen the drop tests without the case? Stood pretty well. Their is a soap and water test under a tap.
    evil sadistic b*stards! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

fair play to clove.co.uk. Pre-ordered my n97 and got it delivered on friday. Today i noticed that they are doing an offer free nokia bluetooth headset and n97 case on their website when you purchase an n97.I emailed them and in fairness they mailed back saying they would ship both immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What are you using to check for free ram?

My N97 virtually slowed to a crawl last night after messing around with some apps. I done a hard reset and while it seemed ok, it seems to be slowing down again.

I think it my be the Ovi Maps 3 beta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Lushed1

I was looking forward to buying this phone until i seen the following video at the 2:00 min and 4:58 min. Is it really that unresponsive. that guy didn't really look like he was pressing the screen too hard

Lushed1 wrote: »
    I was looking forward to buying this phone until i seen the following video at the 2:00 min and 4:58 min. Is it really that unresponsive. that guy didn't really look like he was pressing the screen too hard

Thats not my experience of it. The odd time when you have plenty running and doing different things it can be a bit slow, but nothing like that video.

Lushed1 wrote: »
    i've noticed a worrying trend in reviews for the n97 of the reviewers going out of their way to create imaginary problems by crafting their touch screen actions to specifically cause issues with the phone.

i'm willing to bet that 90% of people working in the media are iphone sheep and they're just looking for excuses to not like the n97 and put it down.

i'm tempted to go as far as to say that most of the reviews are very anti-n97, but then i'll just sound like a conspiracy theorist fanboy.

resistive touch is a worse technology than capacitive? no, not worse, just different.

you can't use a resistive touch-screen the same way as you'd use a capacitive touch-screen, it's like driving a petrol or diesel car. both do the same thing but you need to use them differently to get there effectively, and driving a petrol car like you'd drive a diesel will cause issues and visa versa, but it doesn't make one necessarily better than the other.

i've used the iphone and ipod touch and they're both fine for what they are, but they are very different from the n97 and i honestly don't see the comparisons people are drawing between the two brands.

yes they've both got touch-screens and they're both phones that play mp3's, but there's plenty more going on than that and both are very different when you're using them.

okay, yes i'm a fanboy. :D

i still think i'm right though, there's a lot of very unfair reviews out there that seem to be bashing the n97 from a fruity type direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

That tosser in the review isn't even touching the screen most of the time, where'd he come from, the fruit factory?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

this will sound noobish. but whats the physical differnce in the touch screen? is it more like the blackberry storm style of screen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DermoMIO

got my phone yesterday but was in work to 10pm so didnt get to play with to 11 last night and needless to say that only lasted 20mins as it was playing up so tried the whole switch it off switch it back on trick, which lead to the phone freezing on startup screen of Nokia. couldnt get around it last night so left it to this morning and let it charge up for an hour or so before going searching for a solution. and luckily there was a simple solution of holding down 3 and * at the same time as turning it on, only took one go aswell that was a massive relief.

now its time to have some fun with it and figure it out.

just a question for those with the phone what is the bottom widget on the home screen suppose to be ? mine is just a blank black bit ! and has anyone got the acuweather to work ? mine searches but gets nowhere (no big deal just something that i would like to mess with in work :D )

Advertisement