Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

DermoMIO wrote: »
    just a question for those with the phone what is the bottom widget on the home screen suppose to be ? mine is just a blank black bit ! and has anyone got the acuweather to work ? mine searches but gets nowhere (no big deal just something that i would like to mess with in work :D )

You proabably dont have a widget there. Just click options > and edit content> to add or remove/change widgets around.

The weather does work, just check you set your location correctly. Mine wasnt working out of the box, i had to set it to dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

That tosser in the review isn't even touching the screen most of the time, where'd he come from, the fruit factory?
    lol, think i might have started something there! :)

the difference between a resistive and a capacitive touch-screen is that a resistive touch-screen has pressure sensors round the outside of the screen and by the varying amount of pressure applied to each of those sensors when you touch the screen it knows where your finger is and translates that into button presses etc.

a capacitive touch-screen on the other hand works by using your finger as a conductor of a tiny electric charge to change the capacitance of the screen.

it's better in some ways, as you can affect the capacitance of the screen by barely even touching it, but it will only work with something conductive like a finger or a specially made conductive stylus, i.e. you can't operate an iphone with gloves on, whereas you could with the n97 if the mood took you.

there are god and bad points for both technologies tbh, but imho it's unfair to say one is worse than the other at this stage in the game.

it's also a lot easier to get effective multi-touch working on a capacitive screen than a resistive one (or so I'm told), although not impossible.

someone asked about the memory usage thing that people are using on the n97 and i on't know if anyne answered. it's called "handy shell" by epocware. it's not free though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

just so people know i heard that one of the new features on the new firmware tomorrow is going to be multi touch support.

alot like the iphone is ways of zoming in and out and stuff.

that should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

Thor wrote: »
    just so people know i heard that one of the new features on the new firmware tomorrow is going to be multi touch support.

that should be fun.

I doubt it, but if that's the case then it's very welcoming upgrade. I hope Nokia start listening to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

vibe666 wrote: »
    there are god and bad points for both technologies tbh, but imho it's unfair to say one is worse than the other at this stage in the game.

I would have thought one of the main advantages of a resisitve touch screen was that it's easy to use a stylus with it.

I used to have one with my old SE P990i and found it good for working in Excel documents etc.

Not impressed that Nokia decided against including one with the N97.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

that should be fun.

Saw that list of things myself but apparently it was all unconfirmed & came from a user on some forum that only had 1 post so the jury is still out on whether any of it was real or not

thats true mate but he did list some of the problems and it would be a shame for nokia to allow that post on there website and it turning out not to be true.

if people get there hopes up for them updates and they dont happen nokia will be in bad with users on there own website.

at this point nokia know what they are doing with the update and havent listed the changelog.

i wonder what time tomorrow the update will be availible.

also i would recommended power mp3 player for the n97.

it works brilliant on it.

http://symbianworld.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/powermp3_s60_1_16b.sis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Just a quick Q is anyone having the small problem of the backlight not coming on every now and then when you unlock the screen. Im presuming it will be fixed with the firmware update tomorrow.

Also where did you buy the screen protectors?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

that should be fun.
    I thought multi-touch was almost impossible with a resistive cause of the way the sensors detect pressure.Like they detect it in a cross position on both axis' to figure out the point instead of detecting the electrical charges position like a capacitive does.
    I know theres that game on the 5800 (and n97 too i assume) thats a rhythm game and detects 2 points at once but I dont think that works the same way, I think the game works on a kind of averages formula for positioning since it once has to deal with 4 points and no actual movement.

Or am I talking out of my butt pipe and making a lot of assumptions:pac:

• Advertisement

Have a look.
    System C memory there is huge improvement.

Oh and can someone tell me what firmware came on there phone. I didnt have nokia mail installed on mine when it came. Im wondering if mine has older fireware on it already??

irlmarc wrote: »
    Oh and can someone tell me what firmware came on there phone. I didnt have nokia mail installed on mine when it came. Im wondering if mine has older fireware on it already??

Mine is V10.0.012
    date 15/05/09

if you don't have this one eg have 10.0.09 then don't worry there is not much change, just wait for tommorow big upgrade.

Full Change log.
    http://www.serie-n.it/?p=2243
    which seems true.:)

sbhatia wrote: »
    Mine is V10.0.012
    date 15/05/09

if you don't have this one eg have 10.0.09 then don't worry there is not much change, just wait for tommorow big upgrade.

No I have the same as you. Its odd that mail didnt come on mine, not that i wanted it ill just use the one in the message section till i get gmail app.

Also i cant seem to remove the boingo app and one or two others, anyone have any ideas?

PH4T wrote: »
    I would have thought one of the main advantages of a resisitve touch screen was that it's easy to use a stylus with it.
    you can get stylii (styluses?) designed for use with capacitive touch screens, they're just made to conduct electricity like a finger. :)
    sbhatia wrote: »
    Have a look.
    System C memory there is huge improvement.
    is that on your own n97 or off the net?

just tried an update there and it said there wasn't any?

Yeah no update yet! For me anyway!

is that on your own n97 or off the net?

just tried an update there and it said there wasn't any?

That's was from net, still no update here too.

looks like it might be possible with a USB update, but i can't find my poxy microUSB cable so I can't check right now. :(

• Advertisement

looks like it might be possible with a USB update, but i can't find my poxy microUSB cable so I can't check right now. :(

Yeah you are right, but i can't check it anyway on work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Tried it with usb 2 minutes ago and it's saying im up to date so it's not here for us yet

Have any of you guys tried installing Garmin Xt on your's?
    I had it working fine on my 5800 without a virtual key,after trying to install it there and im getting the problem that you would have faced before.Im using the 3rd edition 50030,and the basemap 4 too.

Its also not installing to the main app menu,you need to go to file manager to find the .sis file to install,its kind of possible to work your way thru the installation process using the keyboard but wouldnt be practical at all to try use

Anyone got any ideas?

EDIT - Sorted there,make sure you u use the version 5.00.5 from here if you are installing - https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsUpdates.jsp?product=010-11034-00&cID=138&pID=11413

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

no update here yet tried from phone and nsu .
    this coverage thing is really starting to annoy me.
    im with meteor and im finding its about 80% of what it was with my n95 8gb!

anyone here thought of changing the product code to the euro1 version.

update is availible for that now.

not sure how long the uk version will take.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

What make you think it's be possible with the USB connection instead?!?!

If it's available for your phone you'd be able to get it OTA! Not available on UK phones at the moment!

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?p=425855#post425855

Just incase anyone does change the code,reports of 2 phones bricked there from changing to euro1

so tempted to change to euro1.read alot on allaboutsymbian of others in the uk who did it and seem to be getting on fine.Any ideas when the uk simfree fw will be out?

did it myself and it worked fine.

also did it on my mates phone and it went without a hitch.

remember to update nss before changing the product code.

new update does seems alot less glitchy. no new features from what i can see but defo fixed the whole it not illuminating when unlocking problem.

if anyone wants me to check a specific problem just ask.

• Advertisement

thor will you list the steps please

do you loose all the data ,contacts messages etc

whats nss ?

Advertisement