Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

€654.99 is reduced?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jambooirl

wasnt it for eu 699, or maybe im mistaken???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Not really sure,don't pay much attention to expansys in fairness,daylight robbery!

yes u r right.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

What do ye think of the stinking reviews the N97 is getting, its putting me off...particularly in relation to the "unresponsive touch screen and unimaginative symbian interface"?

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,39030108,49300332-1,00.htm

Its putting me off and I might wait for the SE Satio to come out, settle for an iphone or just get a C905 and get a decent smartphone in a year when they sort themselves out..:eek::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'm very much of the opinion that almost every journalist out there has an iphone and it's been sending them subliminal brainwashing waves to them ever since so anything that isn't an iphone is automatically crap.

almost every single one of the video and text reviews i've seen is heavily slanted aganst the phone for some irrational reason. i've yet to see a truly unbiased review so far and it's getting more than a tad annoying.

yes it has it's problems, nobody is denying that, but i honestly hand on heart have not seen a fair review of the phone so far.

also, if you're even remotely thinking of going the ebay route, there are already cheap chinese clones/fakes of the n97 out there, so you will want to be sure of what you're getting before you put your cash down and make sure you pay ONLY via paypal so if i goes pear shaped you can get a refund.

still no update on my unlocked UK n97.

what's the euro code everyone is using?

i'm looking for the euro black one for the RM-505.

looks like pretty much everyone having bricking problems is on UK vodafone according to this thread. http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?p=425998

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Anyone else having difficulty with the ovi software? I'm trying to do something very basic!!

I've converted various .avi file to .mp4 and I can't get them onto the phone! I've tried to copy them directly to the hard drive on the phone but no joy. Whenever I try to import other files into the gallery by dragging and dropping it says that the file was transferred but it isn't then displayed within the gallery!

Anyone any suggestions? Do people use different software to ovi?

never used ovi, just copied everything i had on my n95 8gb over to the downloaded pictures folder and they were added to my gallery.

don't think i've tried any video's yet tho.

incidentally, i just took the plunge with the euro product code to get the v11 firmware and it worked fine.

WARNING. THERE IS A CHANCE THAT YOU MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE BY DOING THIS, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. OH, AND YOU WILL MOST LIKELY VOID THE WARRANTY TOO. IF YOU FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS THEY ARE ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK, IF YOU BREAK IT YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN!

just installed NSS using the first option for the virtual interface from the link on the other page (don't worry about the USB updater thing after the install, ignore it) and changed my product code to the generic euro black rm-505 code.

the standard euro codes for black and white versions are:

0570817: RM-505_EMEA_EURO_QW1 Black
    0576350: RM-505_EMEA_EURO_QW1 White

click "scan for device" in NSS (the magnifying glass in the top corner), then on phone info (the phone icon, second in from the left) and choose "read" from the read and write buttons on the right so see your current product code details.

tick the "enable" box and paste in yuor new product code and then click on "write" to change the code.

exit NSS and then reboot your phone (not strictly necessary, but itcan't hurt).

i wasn't able to get the v11 update OTA on the phone so i had to use USB to get it with the nokia updater.

update your nokia software updater to the newest version if it isn't already (v1.6.13 en-us is my version as of writing) and let it detect your phone and updates.

let it update and don't worry about the phone switching itself on and off a few times and the 'found new hardware wizard' in windows having a bit of a loopy moment re-detecting things over and over, this is normal.

the full update took about 4-5 minutes, not counting the 141mb download of te new firmware which will depend on your network speed.

righto, off you go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

vibe666 wrote: »
    still no update on my unlocked UK n97.

what's the euro code everyone is using?

i'm looking for the euro black one for the RM-505.

looks like pretty much everyone having bricking problems is on UK vodafone according to this thread. http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?p=425998

I used this same RM-505
    product code -0570817 Euro 1 code, NSS might not work on vista so try this
    http://nokia5800.net/2009/02/26/changing-product-code-using-jaf/

I find new fw even more slower or is it just me?

• Advertisement

I've converted various .avi file to .mp4 and I can't get them onto the phone! I've tried to copy them directly to the hard drive on the phone but no joy. Whenever I try to import other files into the gallery by dragging and dropping it says that the file was transferred but it isn't then displayed within the gallery!

Anyone any suggestions? Do people use different software to ovi?

Just connect your Ph to Mass storage and use it as hard drive to transfer the data.

The video are probably downloaded try download folder instead of Captured in photos. It might be bit down in the list.

jambooirl wrote: »
    Thanks man, im looking for the sim free fone, besides, the deals are in the uk and im in ireland.:(

1 hours drive to Newry and saving of abt 50 euro. Sim free white one, ring them for stock info before hand.

sbhatia wrote: »
    I used this same RM-505
    product code -0570817 Euro 1 code, NSS might not work on vista so try this
    http://nokia5800.net/2009/02/26/changing-product-code-using-jaf/

I find new fw even more slower or is it just me?
    oops, forgot to mention the vista thing. i'm on xp anyways.

incidentally, the guy who did the old fashioned rotary dialler for the symbian 5th series phones also has a beta of a guitar hero type game using multi-touch on it, so it's definitely possible to do. :)

incidentally, the guy who did the old fashioned rotary dialler for the symbian 5th series phones also has a beta of a guitar hero type game using multi-touch on it, so it's definitely possible to do. :)

Can you check for me and post memory stats after upgrade.
    Eg ram, system etc. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

DRice wrote: »
    What do ye think of the stinking reviews the N97 is getting, its putting me off...particularly in relation to the "unresponsive touch screen and unimaginative symbian interface"?

Yeah I've read too many bad reviews of of the N97. I'm not going to get it now. For €650 it needs to be best in class.

The only question is now, what phone is better?

Samsung i8910 HD maybe...

Similiar to the N97 but address most of it's problems. Better screen, better camera, faster processor, more ram, slicker interface.

that's the thing. there isn't a "hands down better than the n97" phone out there each has it's good and bad points, it just seems to be fashionable to bash nokia no matter what at the moment.

the n97 is just a couple of firmware updates away from being the best phone in it's class, and nokia are the company that can deliver that if you look at their history with the n95.

the first release of the n95 was pretty awful if anyone remembers back that far, but a few firmware updates later and it was the best in it's class at the time and pretty much the best selling phone ever made without a fruit logo on it.

Thanks for the replies guys, will look into doing what you mentioned and put them in the downloaded folder

What are the benefits of changing product code?

it means you don't have to wait to download the updated firmware to get some of the bugs fixed.

BUT there's a tiny chance you might brick your n97 in the process if everything doesn't go 100% right. depends if you think it's worth it or not to do it now to get the euro firmware update or wait for the UK firmware update.

Just added a warning message to the little guide on the last page, just so people know what they're getting themselves into. :)

oh, and it might be worth mentioning that the Samsung i8910 HD runs the same OS as the n97 and 5800 so don't expect anything overly different software wise. if you think th hardware is better then fair enough, but don't forgo the n97 for the Samsung i8910 HD based on the idea that it's going to be radically different to use than the n97.

personally i'd rather go with nokia, you can be sure they'll put all their efforts into shaping the OS on the n97 something special. :)

I get ya, think I'll be waiting for the UK Firmware updates!

• Advertisement

that's the thing. there isn't a "hands down better than the n97" phone out there each has it's good and bad points, it just seems to be fashionable to bash nokia no matter what at the moment.

the n97 is just a couple of firmware updates away from being the best phone in it's class, and nokia are the company that can deliver that if you look at their history with the n95.

the first release of the n95 was pretty awful if anyone remembers back that far, but a few firmware updates later and it was the best in it's class at the time and pretty much the best selling phone ever made without a fruit logo on it.

Completely agree on that,
    The only People who are talking abt n97 rubbish is who hasn't ever use the smartphone and by the way Fruit logo doesn't come even close to Smartphone.
    multitasking is the reason enough to class something as smart phone,
    For me N97 is perfect phone and what is the point of throwing lots of memory when you don't even how to use it.
    For instance samsung HD has 256 ram which is more likely to cover the memory leak which they couldn't fix while Nokia has did it.
    even with little ram phone is as fast as it should be , Only 1 or 2 upgrades will make it perfect.

I think this thread should be renamed "Nokia N97 Fanboys" :D

PH4T wrote: »
    I think this thread should be renamed "Nokia N97 Fanboys" :D

Lol you won't even spend that sort of money if you didn't like it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Lushed1

Did any of you guys use opera mini on your N97 yet? What's it like? Any good? I use it on my n95 8gb and it's class. From what i see on this thread and other reviews I can't wait to get my hands on the N97

Lushed1 wrote: »
    Did any of you guys use opera mini on your N97 yet? What's it like? Any good? I use it on my n95 8gb and it's class. From what i see on this thread and other reviews I can't wait to get my hands on the N97

I use it all time and it's great, fingre friendly, it wasn't on Nokia 5800 but N97 it is and works great with keyboard too.

1 hours drive to Newry and saving of abt 50 euro. Sim free white one, ring them for stock info before hand.

who exactly should i ring my friend? is it the phone4you shop? may i ask for a phone number of the shop if you have it please? thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

who exactly should i ring my friend? is it the phone4you shop? may i ask for a phone number of the shop if you have it please? thanks a lot.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=phones4u+newry :D

yeah here you go.
    028 302 60647 full no would be (00442830260647)
    was there my self on sat and they had lots of them . white one is exclusive to them, £490.

yeah here you go.
    was there my self on sat and they had lots of them . white one is exclusive to them, £490.

Just had a look at their website, if you buy a Samsung Tocco Lite on contract you get a free Playstation 3!!

Man, they have it good in the UK.

• Advertisement

yeah here you go.

thats great , thanks a lot my friend, i ll give them a shout. thats great if its only £490 that im gonna spend.lol. cheers.

Advertisement