Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Considering doing that myself now on Saturday....long 'ould drive from Wexford though!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

PH4T wrote: »
    Just had a look at their website, if you buy a Samsung Tocco Lite on contract you get a free Playstation 3!!

Man, they have it good in the UK.

Yeah it's great allright, but 24 month contract :(

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

I dunno why people get caught up in the whole contract thing....Ive been with Eircell/Vodafone for something like 12 years now, never really bothered me being tied to a contract.
    In the UK Ive seen offers of an N97 for free with something like 600 minutes & unlimited text for about £40 or £50 quid a month....thats nothing compared to me payin €90 a month for perfect fit 400 + data add on!!!

They dont know how handy they have it & yet still people seem to moan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

PH4T wrote: »
    I think this thread should be renamed "Nokia N97 Fanboys" :D
    no, it's just a great phone that doesn't deserve the bashing it's getting in the press.

Pulse8 wrote: »

They dont know how handy they have it & yet still people seem to moan!!

I am also on bill phone from last 9 years and not a problem as long as contract is 1 year and you have a option to change phone. 24 month contract still no no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jambooirl

im with 086 network for 10 years now.lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

anyone using this on the 3 network here yet? any problems or is everything working as it should be?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

wreckless wrote: »
    anyone using this on the 3 network here yet? any problems or is everything working as it should be?

thanks

using three myself on it and it works fine.

got the email on 3 working and havent had any problems with it.

skype or windows dont work as of yet or video calling(as expected with a phone they dont have yet)

other than that not really any problem.

bought 1gb limit of them to see how it faired and it works great checking my emails and even checking stuff out on the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jambooirl

hi guys with nokia N97, have tried to use the copy and past functions on the device? i have read some articales that say that there are no short cuts for the copy and past, u need to use it from the menu only. can we know how are you guys finding this function, ??? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

hold the shift button and the bottem left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

If you hold your finger on the text you want to copy then drag the selection area a little copy box pops up and copys to clipboard,then to paste hit the icon beside the green tick when writing a message and paste is the first option

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

vibe666 wrote: »
    no, it's just a great phone that doesn't deserve the bashing it's getting in the press.
    Well it kinda did considering the countless bugs that came with the initial FW....Nokia are only saving themsleves slightly by the fact they got an update out so quick!

At the end of the day Nokia have done they're usual and used the inital adapters to the N97 as Beta Testers!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

sbhatia wrote: »
    I use it all time and it's great, fingre friendly, it wasn't on Nokia 5800 but N97 it is and works great with keyboard too.

is there a different version for the n97, how can it be more finger friendly?

Cyrus wrote: »
    is there a different version for the n97, how can it be more finger friendly?

No it's same version but with much bigger icon and bigger tabs which is more easy to use.

kmart6 wrote: »
    At the end of the day Nokia have done they're usual and used the inital adapters to the N97 as Beta Testers!
    and how's that any different to any other company? microsoft, apple, you name it, every gadget you can buy these days from mobile phones to PC's to digital cameras is so complicated it's impossible to get out all the bugs prior to release.

as a comparative example, the first firmware on the iphone when it came out contained 68 bugs.

talking of the fruity side of life, apple actually took two years to bring out 'features' (tethering, copy/paste/mms etc.) on the iphone that have been a basic part of almost every mobile phone on the planet for at least the last 5 years or more.

on the other hand, nokia cleared up the majority of the known bugs in the n97 in less than 2 weeks of it's release. :)

I'm more than happy with mine, as is everyone else here who actually has one from what I can see so feel free to believe all the very obviously unfair and biased reviews you want, or read about it from people who actually have one and use it on a daily basis.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

sbhatia wrote: »
    No it's same version but with much bigger icon and bigger tabs which is more easy to use.

can you give a link? surely its just the latest version and is available for the 5800 too :confused:

Cyrus wrote: »
    can you give a link? surely its just the latest version and is available for the 5800 too :confused:

Point your mobile browser to
    www.mini.opera.com

I am sure it's the same version just N97 has bigger screen that's why fonts are bit big.

i'm sticking with offline only widgets for my home screen to save battery power.

looks good though.

i'm sticking with offline only widgets for my home screen to save battery power.

looks good though.

You can also refresh them once in the morning and then Set content to offline through option and there is No extra battery drainge and no more data connection.

I do that for Accue weather and news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Hi
    I am a total noob here, so please excuse the possibly silly question.
    I read the complete thread, but am more confused than ever on where to buy a sim-free N97 from the UK.
    I'm after a reputable seller who will ship to UK for me, even tho I am paying for it from here (I want to benefit from reduced VAT rate....).
    I've had a look at clovis.co.uk ; mobilefun.co.uk; Nokia UK themselves; handtec.co.uk. All range in price from GBP457 to 499 VAT included.

Any suggestion on who is the most reputable? Basically I do not want to be ripped off (get enough of that in Dublin :( )

i can only vouch for expansys, they delivered my phone next day from manchester with no problems, other than the irish VAT obviously.

that said i don't think everyone that ordered from them had the same positive experiences, so i guess it's somewhat of a gamble.

if price is your main concern then I guess justgo with the cheapest option that has come up on here who were able to deliver when they said they would and hope for the best. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Italia wrote: »
    I've had a look at clovis.co.uk ; mobilefun.co.uk; Nokia UK themselves; handtec.co.uk. All range in price from GBP457 to 499 VAT included.

Any suggestion on who is the most reputable?

Mobilefun wont ship sim free phones here, nor will nokia uk.

Nothing wrong with ebay, but if it was just for a few more bucks i would go with clove or expansys.

Is anyone using Themes Effect set to On option?
    I only started using it last night to see how does it effect battery life , well it doesn't but looks really cool specially when swiping the wallpaper and widget and making ph call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

I think its theme dependant,i had it turned on with a theme i was using and if anything it seemed to slow it down and give little if any effect.

Does anyone else notice the sound from the speakers low in comparison to other phones?Compared to n95/96 and 5800 especially it sounds very low,hopefully will be tweaked up with a firmware update

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

nokia cleared up the majority of the known bugs in the n97 in less than 2 weeks of it's release. :)

Do you really think that they fixed all the bugs in 2 weeks?! Nokia were well aware of the majority of the bugs before they released it,that's how they were able to release an FW update within 2 weeks! They knew that the majority of early adaptors would be those who have used previous smartphones/had an N95 and been aware of updates,along with word from Nokia themselves that they would be concentrating heavily on the N97 as it is the N95 replacement which they put so much into!
    I'm more than happy with mine, as is everyone else here who actually has one from what I can see so feel free to believe all the very obviously unfair and biased reviews you want, or read about it from people who actually have one and use it on a daily basis.:rolleyes:

Where did I mention anything about biased or unfair reviews?!
    I'll just take the countless views of all the people who have a N97 on dedicated Nokia sites....more detail and conentration on those sights than there ever will be on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

eireal wrote: »
    Does anyone else notice the sound from the speakers low in comparison to other phones?Compared to n95/96 and 5800 especially it sounds very low,hopefully will be tweaked up with a firmware update

Actually its probably my biggest dislike of the n97. Anyone who had the n95 knows it has decent speakers, and loud. The n97 is definitely not as loud, and doesn't sound as good. I have changed the from the music player, to power mp3 and it does seem to improve the loudspeaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Thanks for all the replies.
    I'll probably go with Clove. Phoned them today. They're offering the phone for GBP408 plus 15% VAT (total GBP469) and throwing in a Nokia BT headset and the case. No hassles shipping to a UK address, but paying from Ireland.
    Davy wrote: »
    Mobilefun wont ship sim free phones here, nor will nokia uk.

Nothing wrong with ebay, but if it was just for a few more bucks i would go with clove or expansys.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Samson1

and how's that any different to any other company? microsoft, apple, you name it, every gadget you can buy these days from mobile phones to PC's to digital cameras is so complicated it's impossible to get out all the bugs prior to release.

as a comparative example, the first firmware on the iphone when it came out contained 68 bugs.

talking of the fruity side of life, apple actually took two years to bring out 'features' (tethering, copy/paste/mms etc.) on the iphone that have been a basic part of almost every mobile phone on the planet for at least the last 5 years or more.

on the other hand, nokia cleared up the majority of the known bugs in the n97 in less than 2 weeks of it's release. :)

+100 Anyone who is objective knows that Nokia make the best phones out there. Having read every word in this thread cant wait to get home & get the N97. Time you cut vibe a bit of slack - he bought the phone, likes it & has given an honest appraisal of its pros & cons. If you are anti-nokia, why are you here? Time YOU went to another thread & start an 'Iphone Fanboy Club'.

Vibe - just 2 questions - really think it looks great in white/silver, did I pick it up right that the exclusive deal on this with Phones4u is only for a month (to mid-July) ?? And is there an issue with the volume on the N97 - is it lower than N95/N96, as this would be a problem ???

• Advertisement

Do you really think that they fixed all the bugs in 2 weeks?!
    actually, yes I do, for the most part. pretty much all the major bugs that people had complained about have been addressed with the firmware update as far as I can see, and a few things that weren't raised to boot.
    Nokia were well aware of the majority of the bugs before they released it,that's how they were able to release an FW update within 2 weeks!
    oh, i'm ever so sorry, please forgive me. i didn't realise you had intimate knowledge of the way nokia runs itself and were therefore fully qualified to express your expert opinion on the company policy of rolling out firmware updates for new devices. :rolleyes:
    Where did I mention anything about biased or unfair reviews?!
    since you don't actually have an n97, you're either just plucking opinions out of thin air or reading what are considered (by people who actually own an n97) to be biased and unfair reviews.
    I'll just take the countless views of all the people who have a N97 on dedicated Nokia sites....more detail and conentration on those sights than there ever will be on boards!
    yes, obviously, because the countless people on dedicated nokia sites would be much better at posting than us bogger boardsies. good for you, off you go then and don't let the door hit you on your way out. :rolleyes:

Advertisement