Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Samson1 wrote: »
    Vibe - just 2 questions - really think it looks great in white/silver, did I pick it up right that the exclusive deal on this with Phones4u is only for a month (to mid-July) ?? And is there an issue with the volume on the N97 - is it lower than N95/N96, as this would be a problem ???
    sorry, can't help you with that, one of the other guys may know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Vibe - just 2 questions - really think it looks great in white/silver, did I pick it up right that the exclusive deal on this with Phones4u is only for a month (to mid-July) ?? And is there an issue with the volume on the N97 - is it lower than N95/N96, as this would be a problem ???

The exclusive deal does has a time line, from what i heard it would be longer than that, it was suggested more towards the end of the year but thats not concrete.

Yes the volume is defo lower the n95. See my previous post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60983459&postcount=629

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

vibe666 wrote: »
    actually, yes I do, for the most part. pretty much all the major bugs that people had complained about have been addressed with the firmware update as far as I can see, and a few things that weren't raised to boot.

Which suggested they were well aware of it,do you really think they had no idea of backlight and keylock problems to name 2 issues! Open your eyes!
    oh, i'm ever so sorry, please forgive me. i didn't realise you had intimate knowledge of the way nokia runs itself and were therefore fully qualified to express your expert opinion on the company policy of rolling out firmware updates for new devices.

I never claimed any of that! I am in contact with someone who is a Nokia tester and a blogger, and he does have a very good idea/inside line on the way FW updates and such are operated
    since you don't actually have an n97, you're either just plucking opinions out of thin air or reading what are considered (by people who actually own an n97) to be biased and unfair reviews.

Find a post of mine where I state I don't own an N97?!
    yes, obviously, because the countless people on dedicated nokia sites would be much better at posting than us bogger boardsies. good for you, off you go then and don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Em yes actually they are,because as I pointed out there's more detail! Information isn't going to get lost inside one big Superthread due to the fact there's seperate sections for everything!

Oh and just to try and maintain the maturity of your post.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

is there an issue with the volume on the N97 - is it lower than N95/N96, as this would be a problem ???

Have a look at this interesting read!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Wouldnt be too sure about that review,my n96 sounded exactly like my n95 there was no difference with them,yet the above review gives the n95 an 8 and n96 a 4.

• Advertisement

Well you know the way the quality of speakers can vary from device to device so could be just that they got a bad set or something! But I'm sure I've seen other places where there's been problems with the N96 speakers!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hmmm there is something happening with my N97 that is really starting to irk me..

For some reason, when a message is being sent or received (including a delivery report) and I go to try and do something else, the phone literally hangs on a white screen for a few seconds. On some occassions, the text input will slow to a crawl and will be 5 or 6 chars behind.

It was working perfectly for the first week and this issue start happening last weekend. I done a full reset but the issue seems to be persisting.

I have removed most bundled software to the extent that I have 31.9MB of free memory on the handset and 55.9MB in free RAM.

Anyone having similar issues or read anything on other forums maybe?

Formated everything and re-installed the firmware that it shipped with and everything seems to be ok now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Donallob

Well dam you all to hell!!!

I started work nearly 6 hours ago, so far I have (after reading this thread) bought an N97 on phonesonline.ie, a 16gb micro and read everything I could about it!!

Vibe I hold your personally responsible if I get fired :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Donallob

Sorry for the double post,

But has anyone tried the N97 unlocked on Irelands Vodafone network?

• Advertisement

Donallob wrote: »
    Sorry for the double post,

But has anyone tried the N97 unlocked on Irelands Vodafone network?
    Have been using it forf a few weeks and have had no unexpected problems.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Which suggested they were well aware of it,do you really think they had no idea of backlight and keylock problems to name 2 issues! Open your eyes!
    wide open and all i see so far is wild speculation based on your own opinion of how you think the firmware update and testing process goes with absolutely no evidence whatsoever. :rolleyes:
    I never claimed any of that! I am in contact with someone who is a Nokia tester and a blogger, and he does have a very good idea/inside line on the way FW updates and such are operated
    of course you do.:rolleyes:
    Find a post of mine where I state I don't own an N97?!
    well done captain pedantic. since you're on an n97 thread and none of your posts indicate that you have one and you're spending most of your time bashing it it's a pretty safe bet that you don't have one. or are you saying you secretly went and spent €600 on a phone you obviously hate just so you could make this point? :rolleyes:
    Em yes actually they are,because as I pointed out there's more detail! Information isn't going to get lost inside one big Superthread due to the fact there's seperate sections for everything!
    1 newly released phone, one thread with all the information you could want in it. as i said before, if you don't like it stop bugging people here and go there.
    Oh and just to try and maintain the maturity of your post.....
    and you're the internet police now too are you?

congratulations. 6 years on here and you're actually the first person to make it onto my ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

for who is intersted, symbian gear is running promotion for Profimail ( all in one mail app) for only €10, normally € 23.
    https://www.symbiangear.com/en/eur/device:Nokia_N97/cart.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 joeeg

HI NEW TO THE BOARD , but have reat alot of the posts on n97 so for all who are interested n97 is avabaile unlock from the uk from a few webs sites avarage price 420 stg
    ( e cell ) on e bay are selling brand new n97 410 stg
    a few others around 450 stg ,also 3 g IRELAND expect to release in july
    on contract 379 to 449 euro with contract ect , as to phone prob ,
    it is not great at anything except memory 30 plus G ,
    BUT IT IS RIGHT NOW THE BEST PHONE ON THE MARKET WITH THIS MANY FEATURES , no other smart phone can offer as many features ,
    i just hope its low ram will not be a problom in 6 months , :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

joeeg wrote: »
    HI NEW TO THE BOARD , but have reat alot of the posts on n97 so for all who are interested n97 is avabaile unlock from the uk from a few webs sites avarage price 420 stg
    ( e cell ) on e bay are selling brand new n97 410 stg
    a few others around 450 stg ,also 3 g IRELAND expect to release in july
    on contract 379 to 449 euro with contract ect , as to phone prob ,
    it is not great at anything except memory 30 plus G ,
    BUT IT IS RIGHT NOW THE BEST PHONE ON THE MARKET WITH THIS MANY FEATURES , no other smart phone can offer as many features ,
    i just hope its low ram will not be a problom in 6 months , :eek:
    can anyone read this :confused:

wide open and all i see so far is wild speculation based on your own opinion of how you think the firmware update and testing process goes with absolutely no evidence whatsoever. :rolleyes:
    of course you do.:rolleyes:

well done captain pedantic. since you're on an n97 thread and none of your posts indicate that you have one and you're spending most of your time bashing it it's a pretty safe bet that you don't have one. or are you saying you secretly went and spent €600 on a phone you obviously hate just so you could make this point? :rolleyes:

1 newly released phone, one thread with all the information you could want in it. as i said before, if you don't like it stop bugging people here and go there.

and you're the internet police now too are you?

congratulations. 6 years on here and you're actually the first person to make it onto my ignore list.
    Bored of your posts...not even bothered replying properly!

Yeah,but it hurts my eyes,lol!

have had much improved battery life so far with the v11 FW, previously when taking it off charge first thing in the morning it was lasting a full day and just about making it to the end of the second day.

since upgrading to the new FW i've been getting an extra 24 hours out of it (i.e. to the following night) with 3 bars left on the battery.

maybe it was just a one off freak occurance, so i'll keep trying and see how the next charge lasts.

still, if it's consistent it's a full day more than i ever got out of my n95 8gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Interesting reading... as someone who has used the N97 for a week and previously used the N95 and N80 and really liked them, I just thought that although the features of the N97 trump the iphone in certain areas (flash support and camera mainly for me), I just thought there was no comparison on the overall feel and ingenuity of design and ease of use. The touch capabilities of the iphone really kill the N97 and while I respect the N97 as a fantastic powerhouse of a phone it is certainly not perfect. I'd like to kepe the two all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

one problem i have got with my n97 and i have checked this with my mates and its the same. even the new firmware didnt make a difference.

now my mate doesnt have that much music on his phone. i have around 2000 songs.

when i go to search from all songs section the input is very laggy.

i mean i will try an type a word and the first letter will come out as the last one i typed.

has anyone else had this happen to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

What price can we expect this phone to be from O2? Will it be closely price to the iPhone or will it be more likely to be priced similar to the N96 (which I believe was really expensive).

Thor wrote: »
    when i go to search from all songs section the input is very laggy.
    i just did a little test and (i have over 400 songs) and there's no noticeable lag on mine.

maybe i need to get more tunes on it to see it.

my pre-order freebies have just arrived. :)

A Nokia BH-104 Bluetooth headset and Nokia CP-323 carry case (see attachment).

unfortunately, when I opened up the box for the BT headset, it uses the previous mini nokia charger from the n95 etc. (it does come with one though), rather than the microUSB that the n97 uses, so it's double charger time again if you plan on using it.

no belt clip on the phone holder either, it's just a cheap black/midnight blue denim looking yoke to slot the phone into. i think i'll stick with my ebay rubberised case for now and maybe give this to the missus for her 5800.

no sign of the £30 expansys voucher yet though, i'll mail them in a bit to see what happened to it/them (rumour has it, it's going to be 2x £15 vouchers, 1 per purchase).

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DermoMIO

o2 will be selling it from next week for 300 euro my sisters partner who works in o2 told me last night he didnt say what pricing it will be for the 300 but just a heads up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

DermoMIO wrote: »
    o2 will be selling it from next week for 300 euro my sisters partner who works in o2 told me last night he didnt say what pricing it will be for the 300 but just a heads up
    That price would be on bill pay yeah?

Most definately!

squared wrote: »
    That price would be on bill pay yeah?
    it'll be a good while before the n97 makes it to PAYG if the N95 was anything to go by.

I'm still pretty sure that the n96 hasn't made it that far yet and from checking the o2 website just now, the n95 8gb is still €549 on PAYG. :eek:

although you do save 99c. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Sweeet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Sweeet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Just curious is anyone does know if there is a firmware release date for UK handsets?

Advertisement